BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

Empathy & Action
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eilidh
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by DanceofSorrows:
Yes I do and worry about how I can accomplish that.

I came across a quote a few days ago from the civil rights leader Malcom X:

quote:
"Usually when people are sad, they don’t do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change."

I'm not sure how I feel about using the word "angry"--I would probably replace it with a more nuanced intellectual-emotional response--but the point is to use the intense depth and power of our reactions as a springboard for creating change. We can't undo damage, but we can--we must--use our own unique skills for the betterment of our communities. Yes, Haiti needs money. Haiti needs more money than most of us have ever seen, but money should not be such an impossible obstacle for our own actions. We need to get creative and help in any way we can--not only for Haiti, but for any situation in which we feel called upon to help.

I came across another quote this week. (I was reading a wide variety of blogs when I probably should have been working. Wink) This quote was from a column written by death row inmate Mumia Abu-Jamal:

quote:
"When a cause comes along and you know in your bones that it is just, yet refuse to defend it -- at that moment you begin to die. And I have never seen so many corpses walking around talking about justice."

I don't believe he said this with accusation toward anyone who means well. Nor do I point my finger anywhere, except perhaps toward myself. The bottom line is, we must lead by example. We each have our own causes, we each have our own values. Whether it's disaster relief or volunteering at a food bank or helping an elderly neighbor--whatever act(s) we choose is less important than our reasons behind carrying out those acts. I could see a tagline reading something like: "Contemplation. Intention. Action." Despite what some people would like for us to believe, none of us are completely powerless.

Dance, I realize this doesn't respond to your statement completely -- I'm not sure if I (or any of us) can do that. I do hope, though, that maybe some of what I have written here could speak to some of the questions and thoughts that many of us seem to be thinking and haven't yet expressed.

~Eilidh

Post Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:36 am 
pharos

quote:
Originally posted by Eilidh:
whatever act(s) we choose is less important than our reasons behind carrying out those acts.

I agree with this, Eil. It reminded me of a conversation I once had about giving money to homeless people in the street. I was told that giving derives from personal guilt because we see someone in a worse situation than ourselves and that we aren’t really alleviating their condition. They said that, in reality, we are prolonging their situation because they might use the money we give to buy alcohol or find an excuse to be lazy and that the real reason behind our giving is to primarily indulge in our own act of generosity, so it is all about us in the end. Empathy towards ourselves and not the other person. My reply was similar to what you say. I really don’t care as much about my reasons behind carrying out such acts. Maybe my reasons are selfish, who knows? I know I’m not perfect. But when a stranger’s hand is outstretched before you, the reasons can be many. You don’t know how this hand became dirty, lazy, addicted, shaky, unable to make the right choices in his/her life so you can’t play God and see their past or foresee their actions. It’s about the present and giving when you are asked. And frankly, if there is one chance that a homeless person does use my money to nourish himself, I doubt he will think of me and say: “What a selfish person that was! Must be full of guilt complexes to give me money just because I asked for it!”. If, on the other hand they get drunk on my money and make a toast to the sucker that gave, I have no control over that. God knows we are suckers in so many other aspects of our lives.

Dance,

I completely understand distancing oneself from a situation that we cannot help in for whatever reasons. It's very important to be balanced and not bring more stress onto ourselves. Like Eil said, though, even helping an elderly neighbour is an act of empathy not to mention that it might be even more important than sending a large amount of money to a disaster-stricken country because by helping out a neighbour, we cultivate empathy and we become a role model for the little boy or girl who might be passing by on their bike at that very moment. Teaching our children - and I mean children in the general sense, not only the ones we bear -by example in everyday life is the best investment for their future and for everyone's future in my opinion.

Pharos

Post Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:24 am 
PipSqueak

Hi Pharos,
We had a drive over here not to support homeless begging but to support a charity instead, for the reasons you gave regarding alcohol, ciggies etc.

Sad I also don't like walking past without helping so now I save my loyalty cup of coffee and always give that to them instead. Guess it's colder here but a large coffeee (usually with sugar) is always received with a smile & a thank you! Very Happy

Post Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:07 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: