BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

Poetry Professor Insulting My Poem And Hurting My Feelings

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
EverydayAngelKarie

Poetry Professor Insulting My Poem And Hurting My Feelings

For someone who said on the first day that he would be fair to everyone and not be judgmental, and not grade people's work, he sure made me feel like crap in the critique today. Of course I couldn't just go storming off after he made the comment during the critique of my poem, but, honestly I felt like throwing my book at him. My poem, which I posted here, ("Skit-Zoe-Fren-Ee-Ya" in the emotional boards) is obviously something different than most of what will be submitted in a city college's poetry critique. Most people want to write about trees and flowers and how boring their stupid life is, at least I try to write something interesting. Anyway, back to the professor's comment that really hurt my feelings, he said "Forgive me for being frank, but when i was reading your poem I kept wondering why I spent twenty minutes of my day reading this thing." he said more, but i can't remember it all word for word. And you know what, it's fine if he didn't see unity in it, or if he didn't see a setting or a clear theme of the poem, because I see one, and so do most of the people in my class (who I actually care about), and I think his comment was rude and unhelpful. Teachers are supposed to be constructive, not assholes.

Now let me explain why it hurt my feelings more than it would have on a normal day. Prior to critiquing my poem, we critiqued another students poem, which was absolutely boring and cliche, and Mr. Teacher totally enjoyed it. I knew that after her critique was over mine was not gonna be on his list of favorites. In fact, I doubt that any of my poems will ever impress him because they are all going to be similar to that. And I'm not gonna write about trees, or flowers, or any other textbook version of a poem.

Sorry that I'm rambling, but I'm angry.

I know that my poem is not perfect. i know that it needs more direction, and a lot of it could be edited, and blah blah blah.

Whatever, to sum this up, I think it's unfair and wrong for my teacher to be so blatant in his jerky-ness.

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
wishonastar

((((((((EDA))))))))))
i thought i was a good poem
nothing will ever be liked by everyone but you are right a teacher should not be so harsh in reviews!

Star

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:05 pm 
Outdoors65

Re: Poetry Professor Insulting My Poem And Hurting My Feelin

"Skit-Zoe-Fren-Ee-Ya"

And you know what, it's fine if he didn't see unity in it, or if he didn't see a setting or a clear theme of the poem, because I see one, and so do most of the people in my class (who I actually care about), and I think his comment was rude and unhelpful.

I'm no poet, but it seems to me a creative use of style to NOT have any unity or clear theme to a poem that is titled, "Skit-Zoe-Fren-Ea-Ya." Afterall, don't people who suffer from this disease battle with a lack of unity?

Keep writing! Don't let others discourage your creative talent...

Outdoors65

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:58 pm 
Khaleesi
Moderators

I thought the poem was great. Not sure what yer prof's problem is but hang in there and refine your skills!

Khaleesi

Never start a row in public when it can be settled politely in private. ~My Father~

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:21 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Ever heard that expression "Those who can't, often teach" ? Don't let ONE rude and most likely, non-talented, individual change your opinion of your own work. EDA. It is HIS problem, not yours, and although I agree that not eveyone is going to like everything another does and we have to learn to deal with it, I do think that as a figure of authority he needs to learn some people skills.

Keep writing hon.

HugZ, Noni

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:07 am 
DanceofSorrows

EAK,

There is a difference between writing about personal experience, personal feeling in depth (albeit poetically) and being criticized... then just writing 'thoughts' that can be so far from ones own 'connective experience' within it. Is he criticizing your 'thoughts' as you are his? If so, why be upset hun? Yes he is rude, not a teacher I would enjoy and I do feel for you there. But is there a point somewhere? Did he really judge your guts and blood in a poem or did he just judge your 'thoughts' in a poem? Thoughts are a dime a dozen....however your life and voice is not. Write about what affects you personally and deeply, then give it to him. Speak a raw truth in your life with it.

Hugs,

Dance~

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:00 am 
BdeCaunteton

From personal experience, keep writing in the same style and way you always have; he'll hate you for it but in some weird alternate dimension he'll respect you for sticking to your guns.

www[dot]bdecauntetonspoetry[dot]webs[dot]com

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:37 pm 
PipSqueak

I'm 100% with Bde and the others to keep with your style and how crass he was.

Also the piece was submitted for a critique of which you've missed the opportunity of hearing the comment, because of the terrible way in which your lecturer presented himself: he said more, but i can't remember it all word for word
Can you go back to him one-on-one without the pressure of an audience to ask him to repeat his comments? As you are prepared, you may be able to blank out his personal opinion and take note of any constructive comment he has to give.

If this conflict continues, it could eat at your confidence for your next piece. This class should be something for you to enjoy, not suffer! Good luck....

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:04 pm 

Screw them all, eda... write your heart out how you see fit. I had to defend a poem of mine once to a teacher, and at the time stammered. Not only did I get laughed at for my choice of words in the poem, but for the stammering. Damaging. But... as soon as I could get past her I did. Hey, do you know the Broadway Musical Chorus Line? There is a terrific song in there...it's called "Nothing." You really need to hear that song. I can't explain more. You can study all of the great poets and know style, but to have a unique voice, is something to cherish. So keep writing eda. I mean it. "J" Hey eda... I'm posting the link for you here... http://new.music.yahoo.com/priscilla-lopez/ just scroll down and click on the utube video of priscilla lopez singing, "Nothing" "J"

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:26 am 
Laurian

In my opinion a person has every right to disregard what someone else has to say about you.
From what you wrote I can only conclude that you disagree. So disagree, smile and stick to what you feel good to do.
In disagreeing he made you think about your work and made you defend it in your own mind.
What you write is your expression of what you feel, what you think, who you are.
Nobody should have that much impact on you that you would change the way you feel unless that person is worth your effort to do so or has things to say that you can agree with or might accept given time.

a person's opinion is his/her right. If he didn't like it for whatever reason, he can tell you that.
However, in my opinion he sucks in the way he expressed his opinion if it made you feel that angry.
Criticism is never fun to take but it requires skill to give.
I sighed when I read your post, getting the impression that this teacher could benefit from more education in the department of giving positive criticism.

Note to teacher: sir, it is easy to hand out critic and be a negative factor in someones life.
But it is the positive person that hands out the advice as tools for building characters that will be remembered!
A good teacher should want to be remembered Smile Will you?

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:48 am 

I guess this one hits my hot button, Laurian. Maybe it's semantics. Yes, everyone has a right to an opinion. And I think Eda said here if he had offered up some constructive criticism, his comments would have been valuable. But to say derogatory things without a basis, is not teaching. Keep your chin up Eda. I do agree with Laurian in this. Don't agree that a teacher has the right to berate a student's work. Only to constructively critisize. There is a difference in my opinion. Ego seems to be at work here. And that's always about the person in power. Wow... guess you guys really hit a hot button with me on this one. But damn it makes me mad. Criticize, teach, but do it with respect. My most humble(but p.o.'d )opinion. lol... "J"

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:37 am 
Laurian

Please, don't get me wrong.
There is no doubt in my mind that this professor is wrong in the way that he handled his student!
In my opinion he did an awful job and failed to have an open mind be it at reading, his interpretation and the way he talked about this poem. As always I have to conclude that the talent of being able to respect and care for a persons feeling is not a gift that everyone receives in life. Someone in that position, being responsible for guiding people, should at least have enough people-skill to do that in a gentle and positive manner. Alas!

Just don't let it get to you Eda Smile If he is unable to tell you in a respectful manner what he think was wrong than there is no reason why you would have to remember his words. I never believed that the teacher was right every time Very Happy I never hesitated to tell 'em that. (Perhaps why I got in to so many detentions *shrug*) but I always tried to tell them in a calm manner. (perhaps the reason that I got away with things without detention Very Happy) And some teachers left a big impression making me want to become one others are not worth remembering *giggle*

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:57 am 

I don't think it takes much talent, or much more than common decency to refrain from making comments like..."... wondered why I spent twenty minutes of my day reading it..." That's just rude, and I would think an educated person would get that, if not for the big fat EGO in his way. Lol... sorry... I don't buy it. I would have done just what eda did. Turn him right off in my brain. Maybe he should go back to school and learn how to properly critique instead of stifling a creative mind. Lol, Lauriaaaaaaaan... you got me in such a mood on this one. Lol... sorry for my ornery frankness today. I come from a family of teachers. Don't think any of them though they can be tough on kids and young adults, are this disrespectful. And... I admire the profession. Nuff said on this one. Byeeeeeeee "J"

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:10 pm 
LOvsPLUTO

I do not believe in the statement, "Those who can't, teach" because I, personally, have a gift of teaching, but I am also able to perform and work well in my field, and not just as a failure that resorted to teaching.

However, I do believe that Mr. Teacher is not doing his job and should not have such a position if this is the kind of work he's doing. It's teachers like him that ruin it for the rest of us that actually WANT to be in the field. Teachers should be supportive, and if that's something you want to write about, he should encourage you to delve deeper into things and search for more ideas. Unfortunately, he's just a bad teacher, and I'm sorry that he did that to you. That really angers me when I hear things like that, as a teacher myself, I know that I would NEVER do that to my students.

Keep up the good work. Smile

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:16 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: