BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

Help needed.........
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Help needed.........

Well ladies, I am looking for some advice here. Some of you might know I am a smoker...........i know, don't give me a hard time, just listen. For over a week and a half I hae been seriously ill with a nasty flu that turned into a chest and throat infection, which in turn caused my asthma to flare up. Im on antibiotics, using my puffers and am slowly coming good, though still hacking up garbage by the bucket load. I haven't had a cigarette for 4 days and in the week before that I only had about seven or so.

In Chat last night, one of our members who is in the medical field (Ty Cave LOL) told me that it only takes about ten days to break the nicotine hold and from then on, all the rest of the cravings are mental. I want to stop, I know I need to but I'm not sure I will be able to.

Any advice from ex smokers here as to how the beat the 'habit' part of it, like the particular times or places that you always lit up. I've taken the pack out of my bag but I still have it and a carton which I cannot bring myself to throw away as cigarettes are hidesouly expensive here in Aust, I got someone to bring me these in duty free from Hawaii.

So please, help me out here.

HugZ, Noni

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:36 am 
Roman

Noni -
I am not a smoker...
Although, friends of mine who have tried to kick the habit, found it was the constant hand to mouth that they were routine too. Some kicked the habit but chewing sunflower seeds, as it was a hand to mouth habit.
They say to kick one habit, you replace it with another?
I hope I could help somewhat.
Good luck hun!
(((((((((((((((((((((Noni))))))))))))))))))))))
~Cheers, Jack

~ Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me ~

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:47 am 
Dark prism

My mother smoked Menthol cigarettes, and when she quit, she sucked on menthol cough drops for years afterward to replace that taste in her mouth.

She also used straws to replace having something in her hand.

She quit on her own after smoking 2 packs a day for 17 years. She just continuously had one less cigarette a day until she got down to just one, and then switched to Free cigarettes which are made from vegetable matter and were so disgusting that she had no trouble stopping those, and then just did the straws and cough drops.

Good luck--I hope you can do it. I still have my mother to this day because she quit then. I am absolutely convinced that if she hadn't quit back then, she would not be here now. I'm really glad I have my mom. We want you around as long as possible too, Noni, and I know there are others that do too.

(((((((((((Noni))))))))))))))

Dp

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:55 am 
GreenEyedKiss
Moderators

Noni,
I am a smoker too...25 years now...and it really has to stop. They were 85 cents a pack when I started, now they are over $5 bucks a pack. When I get the craving, I try to make myself wait ten minutes before allowing myself to have one...the next time I may make myself wait 20 minutes.

The trick is to find something else to do while youre "waiting"...perhaps youll forget you wanted one and before you know it, an hour has passed while you were cleaning or working.
I try to keep only one ashtray available, and it is immediately cleaned after I put one out. (Cant stand the smell...but thats progress, yes?) I also started sucking on sunflower seeds...but I have cut salt out of my diet, and the unsalted ones tasted like....ewww.

Keep a record of when you smoke...what triggered your need for it, and soon youll see that it really is just a crutch for dealing with life...I know it is for me.
I get pissed...I light one up.
I get overwhelmed...I light one up.
I get bored.....big time ...I light one up.

so now I have to replace that need with something else.
I figure sex would be a great alternative to smoking anyday...but those of us who are terminally single....well.....(lights one up...lol)

anyway hon...Im with you here if you need to vent or rage til the time passes...hopefully we will both be able to get over this awful addiction.

It's time.

~Green

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others remains immortal"

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:35 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by Roman:
Noni -
I am not a smoker...
They say to kick one habit, you replace it with another?
I hope I could help somewhat.
Good luck hun!
(((((((((((((((((((((Noni))))))))))))))))))))))
~Cheers, Jack

Groan...........that is exactly what I am afraid of, I really cant afford to take up eating as a new habit, I still havent shed the excess pounds I put on whilst in the US as it is.

Be glad you arent a smoker Roman, it's a terrible habit Sad

Noni

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by Dark prism:
My mother smoked Menthol cigarettes, and when she quit, she sucked on menthol cough drops for years afterward to replace that taste in her mouth.

She also used straws to replace having something in her hand.

Dp

Hmm, well I smoke menthol too so I suppose some of those sugar free menthol candy things might help. I hadnt though about the straw thing, it's a thought, thanks for the ideas DP

Noni

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:34 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by GreenEyedKiss:
Noni,
I am a smoker too...25 years now...and it really has to stop. They were 85 cents a pack when I started, now they are over $5 bucks a pack. When I get the craving, I try to make myself wait ten minutes before allowing myself to have one...the next time I may make myself wait 20 minutes.

The trick is to find something else to do while youre "waiting"...perhaps youll forget you wanted one and before you know it, an hour has passed while you were cleaning or working.
IKeep a record of when you smoke...what triggered your need for it, and soon youll see that it really is just a crutch for dealing with life...I know it is for me.
I get pissed...I light one up.
I get overwhelmed...I light one up.
I get bored.....big time ...I light one up.

so now I have to replace that need with something else.
I figure sex would be a great alternative to smoking anyday...but those of us who are terminally single....well.....(lights one up...lol)

anyway hon...Im with you here if you need to vent or rage til the time passes...hopefully we will both be able to get over this awful addiction.

It's time.

~Green

Thanks Green, it really takes another smoker to know how hard this is, I've already cut down to about 5 a day but it is the actual physical action of smoking that I find hardest to give up, the taking it out of the pack, the lighting up, watching the smoke.............it's so hard. If you think you are bad for smoking for 25 years, think about the idiocy of someone who had given it UP for 25 years. Yep, I smoked from about 16 til 27 then gave it up when I had my kids and never went back, that is until about 3 years ago when for absolutely no reason (except excrutiating life stress and worry lol) I started again. Course it doesn't help that my lady is a chain smoker of some 50 years duration, so the time I spent with her was a lost cause.

RIght now though, I feel sick enough to want to give this a go but Im afraid. What I need is a minder LOL.........any volunteers?

Noni

PS Cigarettes are $11 to $14 a pack here!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 am 
Angel1
Moderators

Re: Help needed.........

quote:
Originally posted by Noni:
Well ladies, I am looking for some advice here. Some of you might know I am a smoker...........i know, don't give me a hard time, just listen. For over a week and a half I hae been seriously ill with a nasty flu that turned into a chest and throat infection, which in turn caused my asthma to flare up. I'm on antibiotics, using my puffers and am slowly coming good, though still hacking up garbage by the bucket load. I haven't had a cigarette for 4 days and in the week before that I only had about seven or so.

In Chat last night, one of our members who is in the medical field (Ty Cave LOL) told me that it only takes about ten days to break the nicotine hold and from then on, all the rest of the cravings are mental. I want to stop, I know I need to but I'm not sure I will be able to.

Any advice from ex smokers here as to how the beat the 'habit' part of it, like the particular times or places that you always lit up. I've taken the pack out of my bag but I still have it and a carton which I cannot bring myself to throw away as cigarettes are hidesouly expensive here in Aust, I got someone to bring me these in duty free from Hawaii.

So please, help me out here.

HugZ, Noni

Dear((((((((((((((((Noni)))))))))))))))
I am an X smoker Very Happy and the only reason i gave up was because i woke up one morning and i couldn't see ,i'd had a bleed in my head Sad .I dialled 999 and was taken to hospital and a long story short, the doctor told me that smoking had caused this to happen.I opened my handbag and i gave this doctor my cigarettes and lighter and i can honestly say that i have never touched a cigarette since Smile , that was 11 years ago Very Happy I haven't craved a cigarette and neither do i ever envisage starting again.My food tastes so much more Yummy and my clothes don't smell awful(i am as fresh as a daisy) lol Laughing

I hope that you can keep off the cigarettes and that you do eventually stop craving the dreaded weed.

Mel has told me that she has also given up smoking( shes doing amazingly well) so if i can give up and Mel can give up .... anyone can . Wink

I didn't actually realise just how awful my clothes smelt until i stopped smoking cigarettes.When i visit a neighbour (who smokes) i come home and my clothes smell absolutley dreadful by just being in her home for a few minutes. Rolling Eyes

well done for having not smoked for so long, each day gets easier(trust me) and you'll feel so much better, your smell with be better and your food will taste awesome.

Keep up the good work hun((((((((healing for your cold)))))))))

with all my love
Angel1 x x x Exclamation Exclamation

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:06 am 
GreenEyedKiss
Moderators

Hey Noni,
I'm here for ya, and I understand how hard it is...can't tell you how many times I've tried to quit before. Life and the stress that comes with being unemployed and terminally single doesn't help. Here is my Yahoo addy..feel free to add me and we can chat real time...I even have webcam so I can't cheat...LMAO. (Greeneyedkiss609 at yahell)...It always helps to have a buddy to work thru the hard times.
As a matter of fact...everyone is welcome to add me if they want.
~Green

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others remains immortal"

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:48 am 
Dark prism

Was talking to my mother about this and she was saying that another thing that she used was Vicks Inhalers. The ones you use when your nose is stuffed up after a cold. Any drug store should have them, but I know your drugstores are different than ours. It also has a menthol smell. (Could also be addicting)

She also stated that one of the reasons that cigarettes help when you are stressed, is that you take a deep breath when you light one up---especially for that first puff, and so if you can do that deep breath with a straw, or just without the cigarette, it might help. I mean think about it---whwn you are stressed, sometimes all you can do is stop and take a deep breath to get through it, whether you are a smoker or not.

Good luck, Non.

Dp

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:05 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Awww ty Angel, Green and DP, Ill take on board all those suggestons.

Tonight is going to be a test, I havent hardly been out of the house for nearly two weeks I have felt so ill, but tonight am having dinner and drinks for a friends birthday, This will be tough

HugZ, Noni

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:23 am 
Dark prism

Adding rocket fuel into your lighters fluid chamber would probably break the habit pretty quickly too. Wink

Dp

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:30 am 
wishonastar

quote:
Originally posted by Dark prism:
Adding rocket fuel into your lighters fluid chamber would probably break the habit pretty quickly too. Wink

Dp

i am sure that's not the only think it would break DP Laughing

Noni,
i am the kind of smoker everyone hates. i can pick up and put down at will. but with my health problems of late, i will stay the hell away from them from now on. they have just added to the compactions of figuring out what was/is wrong with me and have added side affects to the meds.
So good luck with the quitting! you can add me to yahell to if you like... helterphotography an around at odd hours your time but will gladly talk so you dont feel the need to light up... keep those fingers busy Wink

Star
But I’m missing way too much
So when do I give up, what I’ve been wishing for.

Down - Jason Woods

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:27 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Thanks so much oh Starry one, I will keep that offer in mind.

And just for the record, I solved my problem last night by simply not taking my smokes with me, and telling everyone at the beginning of the night that no one was to let me bum one off them no matter how bad I pleaded. One more day smoke free!

Oh BTW I learned that antibiotics and wine dont mix, I had two glasses and passed out on my friend's couch LOL

HugZ, Noni

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:12 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Just a quick update ladies, ending Day 8 and so far, so good. The psychological cravings are intense at certain times but I haven't given in yet. But I dream I'm smoking LOL.

Noni

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:35 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: