BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

The Rat Race Rant

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
cupcakes

The Rat Race Rant

Very Happy
So how are you faring in the rat race of employment?

I'm currently "in transition" which means I have no job. It's great, I get to sleep in some days and do all these exciting volunteer jobs so I can suck dicks of people who pretend like they can help me get a job. I wish they'd just ask me if they could exploit me instead of expecting me to express my gratitude for the opportunity.

So I'm reading all these wonderful books about how to "land that dream job." They tell you how you should speak to people, and give you "witty" catch-phrases to say. How to write the perfect resume, ace that interview. How to network.

Well, I'm pretty frustrated. I think the business world is all bullshit. We're all just using each other to get something we want. There are no honest jobs out there. There are no respectable employers.

I am a chump. I admit it openly and proudly. I am "naive" and "inexperienced." You can go ahead and laugh at me or pity me; I don't mind. I am a chump because I want an honest job where I can live my life genuinely, and where I don't think my boss is an incompetent fart. I don't want to be a leader. I'm not ambitious. I'm not aiming to be passionate about anything. I can't speak the language of the businessman. My gf and Best friend tell me that the problem is I'm too honest, too blunt. I don't make people feel warm and fuzzy inside. Very Happy I don't sugar coat, I don't say things just because it's what they want to hear, I don't lie through my teeth to pretend I'm more qualified than I really am.

Now I'm trying to play role, but I'm not faking it very well. I grew up aspiring to be a good person, to never tell lies, to be polite, but honest, modest and strive for the best. Now it's kicking my ass. Talented people do monkey work. Intelligent people are out of a job. Good people are used.

"Welcome to to real world," you say.
You think I will come around eventually and you're probably right, I'll join in on this silly masquerade, because that's life. But for today, I'm not going to be sad, and insecure. Today, I'm going to be a cynical, pessimistic bitch. And I don't apologize.

Laughing

Love,
cuppy the chump

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:40 am 
Raven

Leans over laughing . . . ah me too funny and so cute. You should be a columnist I'd love to read stuff like this every morning.

Any who, don't feel to bad chica, your not alone, and you don't need to change who you are to get a job. You probably just need to look somewhere you didn't think about. Somewhere where people like YOU thrive.

I'm by no means saying you haven't been looking or that its not hard to get a job right now because trust me I KNOW it is. Suzy FINALLY got a new job and got paid for the first time in ages last week so I more than understand your dilemma. Sides I've seen you in action - you have a goal I just think its still fuzzy around the edges about where to find it. I have faith that you will though simply by the fact that your refusing to change who you are and continue being you with great determination. That right there is a skill far better than most you find on a resume.

Oh and that second to last line - could never be true but I LOVE the attitude in the last sentence- you tell em chica!

My one suggestion for now . . . grins . . .commmmmmme to md, commmmmmmme to dc. We miss you two.

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:48 am 
GreenEyedKiss
Moderators

LMAO... You sure said it Cuppy darlin!...I SO UNDERSTAND what youre going through. Ive been told "You're OVEROUALIFIED more times than I can count...what does that really mean? it means they wont hire me because I hav the experience to be paid a higher salary and they arent gonna give it to me....so instead of giving me the bottom of the totem pole job Im asking for just to have a damn Job, they will hire some pimple faced teenybopper with no experience at the same rate that I would have accepted. They can have thier trained monkey and save money doing it. Grrrr.....its so not fair.
Green

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others remains immortal"

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:50 am 
chordphrute

I understand your frustration, kiddo.... and no matter where ya are or what ya do, if you've ever got 15 minutes to chat with me, I'll help ya find a job...

D

(danielle_nola on Yahoo)

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm 
cupcakes

Hello.

Ironically, within 24 hours of my previous post I became employed...in the field of Human Resources of all things...what a strange, strange rat race this is.

I'm such a sell out. Rolling Eyes
I gave them exactly what they wanted; I couldn't believe the bs that came from my mouth so fluently. I guess this makes me suave right? Cool

<3 Rave <3
Good Luck to you GEKko.
Chordy, I don't have Yahoo msger, but thanks for the offer.

love,
cuppy the suave sell out

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:32 am 
Hawaiian

CC,

Congrats on finding a j-o-b. Here's hoping you like it, it pays good cheese, the boss is one of the good rats and the job doesn't become an outer circle of hell.

Chump to champ... Wink

~Hawn

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:28 am 
GreenEyedKiss
Moderators

Congrats on getting on the paying side of that desk Cuppy!!! *hugs ya tight* I hope it all works out for ya darlin.

Chordy...I saw your msgr addy...do you mind if I add ya....and if the offer still stands, I could use all the help I can get. Couldn't hurt, right?
Let me know. And pre thanks hon.
Green

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others remains immortal"

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:48 am 
smartgrl

I had my dream job. I've been working for the same guy for about 10 years now... followed him from his last company to the one we've been at for 4 years now. We were making web services & tools for real estate agents .. I got to work from home 4 or 5 days a week developing web/software stuff... it was great...even though we've been working a butt load of overtime lately..and haven't been able to take any vacation.

Friday he called everyone in the company and laid us off... totally sucks. He said he is suspending operations until the economic crisis is over, because none of our potential customers can get any loans to buy our products... because no on in real estate is getting any types of financing approved right now.

So I've sent out about 30 resumes since Friday... but the worst problem is.. that there just aren't many jobs in my area right now.... and can't sell our house to move because of the crappy housing market...

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:51 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: