BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Poetry Writers and Styles

plath

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lilriotgrrrl

plath

i just wanted to say, that the best poet to ever grace this planet was most definitely Sylvia Plath. she was amazing, sometimes metaphorical and sometimes so literal you still didn't really get it. i mean, didn't get it on the surface, on the page. you have to feel it to understand. plus, she was insane, and that's always a good quality in a poet Smile for those of you who have never read any of her stuff, here's one of her shorter poems, and certainly not her best, but still, amazing.

"you're"

Clownlike, happiest on your hands,
Feet to the stars, and moon-skulled,
Gilled like a fish. A common-sense
Thumbs-down on the dodo's mode.
Wrapped up in yourself like a spool,
Trawling your dark, as owls do.
Mute as a turnip from the Fourth
Of July to All Fools' Day,
O high-riser, my little loaf.

Vague as fog and looked for like mail.
Farther off than Australia.
Bent-backed Atlas, our traveled prawn.
Snug as a bud and at home
Like a sprat in a pickle jug.
A creel of eels, all ripples.
Jumpy as a Mexican bean.
Right, like a well-done sum.
A clean slate, with your own face on.

is anyone else here a big plath fan?

Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:26 pm 
Logoš

I've read some of her work, yes. I've been casually studying the class of poetry for some time, and she was an amazing poet. I'm curious what you think of the genre, itself, and other poets, such as Anne Sexton who was a close friend of hers and whose work was influenced by Plath's.

Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:17 pm 
lilriotgrrrl

well, i can't comment on the genre, because i'm not sure what genre it is in. but as for anne sexton, yeah, awesome poetess, and the influence is kind of obvious sometimes, and i like that. i don't think she's anywhere near as good as plath, but in her own right she is amazing. for me, though, plath is the gold standard. you can't beat her in my eyes.

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:31 pm 
Logoš

Plath and Sexton are two "confessional" poets.

What particularly draws you to Plath versus, say, Elizabeth Bishop, Kenneth Koch, or Barbara Guest? Each and all have that "take a second and third look" aspect at their writings, and by type, they're all "internal" pieces.

Personally, I enjoy the type, and the more I read of them, the more I like them, but I don't have a particular favorite, though I'm most familiar with Sexton's stuff.

Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:23 am 
lilriotgrrrl

i like the way the Plath words things better than those others. though, i will admit, i've never read Kenneth Koch. i relate more to her, and i feel more when i read her writing. i can't neccessarily explain why. i've never really studied poetry, i just know what jumps off a page at me. what makes me hold my breath for a moment, and that's definitely Sylvia Plath more than anyone else i've ever read.

Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:11 pm 
illusive_dreams

wow that is an amazing poem! thanks for sharing that with us... i dont get out to the library much and always am too busy to look poems up anyways so i usually just write them.... i almost forgot how beautiful it feels to read someones work of art.

Post Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
lilriotgrrrl

you are perfectly welcome, illusive. you should try and get out to the library more often. their are some wonderful pieces of poetry in there. Very Happy

Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:10 am 
Bobby Mcgee

I am glad to see the post about sylvia plath.. I am actually getting ready to read some plath myself. I would myself suggest reading Amy Lowell, and maybe Christina Rosetti's "Goblin Market". Something tells me that if you ladies haven't already, you would enjoy both. Granted, I wouldn't really recommend much of Rosetti's other work You may like it, but it really didn't appeal to me greatly.

Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:17 am 
lilriotgrrrl

if i may ask, what plath are you getting ready to read? ariel is the best, in my opinion. her last, and so terribly haunting. i actually dreamt about it, the words put pictures into my subconscious. i'd never had that happen before with poetry, or since. the bell jar is a good book, as well. i have read goblin market. loved it, too. never read any of her other stuff, though. i don't think i've ever read amy lowell, but i'm always on the lookout for good stuff to read, so i'll definitely check it out.

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:50 am 
Bobby Mcgee

Today I read Lady Lazarus. I read a Ariel as well. I haven't gotten to read The Bell Jar. I read Daddy and a few others. I have some more that I need to read but haven't gotten to them yet. I really would suggest Amy Lowell.

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:47 pm 
MistressHaven

I have not read her stuff. Thank you.

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: