BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

getting married when you're gay anyway

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic

getting married when you're gay anyway

i posted this at another forum, but here it is:

i'm 21,and not really familiar with the gay culture. is it very common for people to get married, after being gay for a very long time? like, once they reach a certain age, they just decide they want children, and marry a person of the opposite sex? this makes me quite sad, but i can understand their reasons. how does it make you feel? do you have many friends who have done this?

i'm really asking about marriage. i mean you can have children with a man, and make him aware you just want the children. i'm sure many men would be willing to do so, and have an opportunity to have a 'little them' as well. thing is, i know of some people who have actually gotten married, and gone the whole caboodle for kids. i just don't think marriage is necessary.

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:46 am 
Roman

WOW! This was a loaded post all in itself.
First of all, many cases (but not all) are woman who have been married for a x number of years and THEN find out they are attracted to women after they have already been married and had thier children.
Second of all, You dont need to tie the knot to have children...I mean have you seen "If these walls could talk 2"? It's a prime example.
If you fully know you are gay then why get hitched to a man, only for the reason of having children? It's not fair to you and it's not fair to him. Think about it.
I have a male friend that I love to pieces. I wouldnt trade him for the world. I also trust him whole heartedly. IF I decide I ever want children I would ask him if he would be the father. This doesn't even mean having sex with him. He could donate his sperm and I could go to a doctor. There are many options for a lesbian to have a child without having to get married OR have sex with a man.
Personally, the only reason why a lesbian would get married is to hide her sexuality. But even that in the long run isn't fair to either parties. BE WHO YOU ARE AND BE PROUD. Dont try to be or live as someone you are not!!
Good luck!
~Cheers, Jack

~ Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me ~

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:36 am 
mazer34

I got married after having my children just so I could be in the perfect family world and I feel like Im living a lie every day, not being the real me.It doesnt help when my family are very homophobic and I mean VERY.I have only been married for 2 years but I feel I have "made my bed so I will just have to lie in it" situation.There is no way I can come out as I would hurt too many people including the 3 children.I would advise others to think very carefully before geting married,maybe I should have thought about it more. Rolling Eyes But I made my vows in the eyes of God and have to stick by them.

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:58 am 
Roman

quote:
Originally posted by mazer34:
I got married after having my children just so I could be in the perfect family world and I feel like Im living a lie every day, not being the real me.It doesnt help when my family are very homophobic and I mean VERY.I have only been married for 2 years but I feel I have "made my bed so I will just have to lie in it" situation.There is no way I can come out as I would hurt too many people including the 3 children.I would advise others to think very carefully before geting married,maybe I should have thought about it more. Rolling Eyes But I made my vows in the eyes of God and have to stick by them.

Mazer -
Your story proves my previous post to be true. Although your story is sad...I still think you need to be honest and true to yourself. It's the only way you will ever be happy!
Here is a quote for you to ponder -
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I am not"
- Author unknown
Think about it!
~Cheers, Jack

~ Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me ~

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:24 pm 
Maureen Welch

I knew

At age twelve I knew that I was gay, which was a term not in general use back then ( circa 1961 ), but I still married at age 21 and raised a family ( 2 daughters 1 son ) my husband died in 2006 after 36+ years of marriage. Now I have a woman life partner, who is also a member at mel's. I love my children who are fine,well adjusted, and raising families of there own, but now it is my time.I do not regret my choice of getting married and would still be if my Dan had not died.But life must go on, and I do not plan on telling my children at this time.My life partner Trina loves mel's and I hope to get in stride with the very friendly ladies here.

An update on my situation - I have told my three grown children and they seem to be accepting. Mo - Trina's Loving Soulmate ! Arrow

Last edited by Maureen Welch on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:01 am 
Karigan

I knew I liked women at an early age, more so in my teen years. I surpressed that side of me and I have been married to my husband now for 17 years with 3 kids. I am just now starting to unravel and wish I followed my heart at such a young age and experimented. My train of thought was I must get married have a house and kids by age 30.

I just wish being a lesbian was more accepted back when I was in high school. Back then there was no internet or people to talk to about my feelings. (I am age 42.)

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:20 pm 
Maureen Welch

I have now told my children who are grown, I am 60. I do not regret telling them and they seem to have accepted my choice of lifestyle. Mo - Trina's Loving Soulmate ! Arrow

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:42 pm 
Beyonce Welch

I married at age 21 even though I knew that I was different , the marriage lasted 19 years ! Arrow - Beyonce Arrow

A day without makeup is equal to a day in purgatory

Dangerous when blonde

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:08 am 
sothernnite

i married 2 years after highschool and was married for 7 years after that during which we had 2 beautiful girls. i married him because it was expected in a small town with small minds. HOWEVER.... i found out that i had the smallest mind of them all.

i was severely depressed, even attempted suicide which thanks to a friend it was a foiled attempt. but after that i realized why i felt that way to begin with.

i failed to the see the beauty in myself. i regret that i tried soething so stupid. and i dont share that part of my life often. but it is amazing the things we put ourselves through to make sure everyone ELSE loves us...

i came out in 1999 when i left my husband. and yes, ive always known i was gay. and instead of all those small town folks rejecting me...including family, i was welcomed with open arms. there were only a couple of people that backed away from me.

but namely, my kids accepted me... and still do. they even commented on how much happier i was after all that. i dont regret getting married by any means...otherwise i wouldnt have the gift of these 2 beautiful people in my life.

point is...do what your heart desires as long as it isnt endangering other people... and love...gay or straight... isnt dangerous.

but i dont know of one lesbian that has gotten married AFTER she came out even for the sake of havin kids

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:26 pm 
twilight

Ok, this is my story... I came out in college, had a very loving relationship with a woman for almost 2 years. We were happy with each other, but the presures and hate we recieved from others (threats, harrassing phone calls, vandalism to my car, and one call to the dean of student teaching that nearly cost me my degree). That hate scared us both. We caved to the pressure. We broke up... And I started living a lie, again. I dated men, had my first child, married a man, had my second child... Eventually I had had enough. My marriage ended 4 years ago Thursday. Ever since then I have been out and proud. The atmosphere of acceptance is better this time around, thank the Goddess. So, yes I got married after I had came out, but still it was an attempt to hide my sexuality.
I can think of three couples that I have known or known of that were gay men with lesbian females. These were legal marriages. They were for the sake of having children, and raising them with both parents in the same house. It would not be what I would do, but it was what worked for them. I know that at least one of the women involved had a g/f live with her while still married to the gay man. It was all really confusing. And like I said not what I would choose. They did have the financiall benefits of marriage though and it worked for them. To each their own.
But, all in all, to me... marriage to a man after realising you are lesbian is simply living a lie. I can't see how that works well for anyone.

The lengthening shadows wait The first pale stars of twilight. ~~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Cavewoman

1st. I read part of some of the responses
2nd. I read little of the majority of the responses
3rd. I read the original post

my response... sounds to me like you don't know what on earth you want to do... which means you are NOT ready to raise children.. SO, doesn't really matter .... until YOU know who YOU are YOU have NO business raising children... so just stop. plain old stop.

There are enough kids and enough mothers/fathers on this planet already who have no freaking idea of who they are or why they are..... don't bother adding to the collective.. its already overstuffed.

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:58 am 
charliegirl

Cavewoman I have to agree with you, the OP is all over the place so shouldnt be thinking about children. Sort out your beliefs, reasons and ideas then wait some then think again. Kids are a whole different ball game.

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:40 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: