BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Coming Out....

What do you like about the Lesbian scene?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
irishdyke

I would like to find a place or 'scene' where there are actually other lesbians like me. My gf and I both fall into the category of butch/butch, working class, and late twenties to early thirties. The only lesbians we seem to meet are usually young, kinda butch, often in butch/femme type of relationships and don't understand ours, may or may not be working class but look down on us because we don't have the extra money that they do or time to do all these cool things because we don't work 9 to 5 as we're apparetnly supposed to. Oh, and we're not little and cute, we're overweight, we take up space, we dont' smoke or drink...and the other uncool thing about us--my gf has two children. Children are good in theory but not fun to be around. The other group of lesbians we meet (through gay church) are older, have some money (not rich but at least have less financial worries), and either grown children or no children and still don't understand the butch/butch thing. Where the hell is our group of non condescending lesbians who don't pity us for not having what they have or avoid us cause we don't live the cool life that they live?

I'm glad that everyone else on here has had worthwhile experiences with the lesbian community but in my little corner of the world that hasn't come to pass. We don't have a problem meeting other lesbians but when they get to know us and realize that we don't fit into the mold that they think all lesbians should be cast in then we're left with nothing again. That's why she calls friends gay boys and car guys (usually straight) and I call friends those whom I've known for years, women (gay and straight) whom I've 'picked up'while in college. Throw in the ex roommate, ex gf, and the ex coworker, and you have three ppl who don't expect me to be anything but me.

The lesbian community? In the real world? Hypocritical, classist, and often overall, mean.

Post Mon May 16, 2005 9:36 pm 
Mairi bheag

Re: head shaving

quote:
Originally posted by marbles:
Athena, just curious, what's up with the shaved head?

> might just try that - it couldn't make things any worse! <

It all depends what one means by "community" or "scene". I have recenly come out at work (a fairly large organisation) and to my circle of female aquaintances; now you would think that amongst that lot there would be someone else who would make herself known to me, even just to say "Hi, how are you doing?", but no. If there is a "community" or "scene" in the town where I live, I haven't spotted it yet!

However here is an amazing community, and so diverse. Since I have been here I have suddenly started writing poetry, made an ass of myself, made friends, offended people (sorry! not intended), had my first experience of a chat room, flirted, been flirted with, been captured by and almost interrogated by the LBI, changed my mind and attitude about a number of things (very important, that - I was vanilla, I am now vanilla with a drizzle of ketchup!) and a hundred and one other things.

Where else could I rub shoulders with a working-class woman in a butch/butch relationship, a homeless lesbian, a night-club dancer... the list is endless.

mb
xx

Post Tue May 17, 2005 6:15 am 
Rawne

Non-threatening women.

Post Wed May 18, 2005 11:14 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: