BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Goodbye Morris

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Crindaguitar

Goodbye Morris

This is a piece I wrote in my mother's voice. I thought it would be more interesting to write about this particular day from what I imagined was her perspective, than from mine

Goodbye Morris

Hi Honey- it’s me- Cora. I miss you Sweetheart. My sister Fran drove me and Richie and Corinne up here to visit. Can you hear me talking to you? The headstone looks nice, with your name engraved on the left. My name will be etched beside yours soon enough, but not yet. I’m enjoying myself, even though I can’t share things with you now. It’s been 4 months since you died, and the other day was our 54th wedding anniversary. I had a wonderful life with you, but the last few years of your illness were so hard. When the Alzheimer’s made you crazy and you called me terrible names, I wanted to die. I knew it wasn’t really you saying it, but it still hurt me. And you never slept. Neither did I, worrying about what was going to happen to you, to us. I was so tired all the time. You’d wander the streets, looking for your real home, your real wife, your real life. I was your real life. Sometimes you knew that. Sometimes you remembered, and you would like the meals I made for you, instead of throwing them on the floor. And sometimes you remembered who I was when we lay in bed at night. You would take my hand and kiss it again and again and beg me not to leave you alone. I never would have left you, Daddy.

Your daughter got me cable TV so I can watch all the old movies and TV shows, and a new television too. It’s beautiful, and so big- 21 inches! It helps me feel less lonely at night. That’s when I miss you the most. I go to Bingo during the day, to keep myself occupied. I can see my friends again now that you’re gone. I’m no longer a prisoner in the house. You didn’t like my going to the smoky Bingo hall when you were alive. You said it was bad for my heart, and you always wanted the best for me. When your mind was still clear, you would do everything around the house. But when you got sick, you could no longer do the simplest things. You couldn’t even go to the bathroom by yourself. It was just like with my mother all over again, when she was senile, I had to take care of her. And then I had to take care of you. But you’re all right now, and so am I.

I’m going to go now Morris. I’ll be back again soon. When we were driving up here to the cemetery, Vic Damone was singing on the radio. Remember him? Can you remember things now that you’re in Heaven? The song he was singing was “Once Upon a Time, the world was sweeter than we knew…we were young and didn’t have a care- where did it go?” It’s such a sad song, but so beautiful. Just like life, don’t you think, Honey?

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

Crying or Very sad beautiful and sad

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Mdm Prez

Crin

You did a great job with this piece, in fact, it's wonderful. The imagery was great. I thought about 54 yrs together with the one you love, thru sickness and health...
I really like this and cried thru most of it.

Cat

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:02 pm 
Crindaguitar

Thank you ladies for reading my piece. I'm glad it touched you.

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:41 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: