BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Should Gays Be Allowed To Marry?

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
AFAALF

Should Gays Be Allowed To Marry?

The government in this day and age is trying harder and harder to keep God out of politics and schools. And yet, when the subject of same-sex couples being married is brought up, they all run to the Bible. People forget that they wanted to get God out of politics and start quoting the Bible so it gives them an excuse to put people down and make them feel like they are dirty or something. The United States is supposed to be a place for people to be who they are in every way. But now gays are being told they are abominations, perverts, and freaks just for being who they are. In my life I have found that there are three things that are the hardest to find: love, acceptance, and someone who listens.
In today's world the hardest thing to find is love. People are too afraid of the emotional aspects and the chance of being hurt by the person they love. With divorce becoming more and more common, it's not hard to see why they are afraid of love. But homosexuals, the one group of people wanting passionately to be married, are the ones who are slamming into a brick wall. Religionists and political people seem to think if two people of the same-sex are married that will bring upon them apocalyptical or world ending consequences. However, gays are no more likely to bring the end of the world if they are married then a bunch of heterosexual men and women going out and committing adultery.
The ”ideal”marriage is between a man and woman, or so President Bush says. He called the debate over same-sex marriage ”difficult” and ”sensitive.” When Bush ran in 2000 he ran as a ”compassionate conservative” but now there's a bridge that's divided between Bush being conservative and also his critical swing. Bushruns on what he thinks is the “ideal” and not on what could be best for the people. The issue of same-sex marriage has nothing to do with what the Bible says. The real issue is that people are afraid of change and what they don't know scares them so they automatically assume it is bad.
In America, where people are supposed to be free to express themselves, the majority of all people are against legalizing same-sex marriages. On the other hand, most of the supporters of same-sex marriage are younger than 30 years old and are more open to different things. It seems that the only people worried about same-sex marriages are the older generations. The younger generations attitude about homosexuality is very different because they are exposed to it more in their everyday lives. The older generation is afraid of change and what they don't know scares them. If the older people would just listen to the younger and try to understand what'sgoing on, there wouldn't be so much fighting over something this small; there are bigger problems out there.
The issue on same-sex marriage is not about what God says about it but it's about the fact that other people are uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong with two people being in love whether they are straight or gay. By law everybody has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If some people in world are able to find love, then that's all that matters, no matter the sex. We are told when we are very young that we should love everybody regardless of race or sexual orientation. If we are now told when we're older that we should damn people who prefer to be with the same-sex, what should we tell our children when they are young?

I have to wirte a paper for my english class, what do you ladies think about this so far?

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:15 am 
findyourpassion

Of course I support gay marriage (I would be surprised to find someone here who doesn't?) Interesting you bring this up now because I just ordered a couple of books on the subject from Amazon. They looked interesting and like they had some good arguments in our favor.
One is called What God Has Joined Together: The Christian Case for Gay Marriage http://www.amazon.com/What-God-Has-Joined-Together/dp/0060834544/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9952634-8362257?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177303475&sr=8-1
and the other is Gay Marriage: Why It Is Good for Gays, Good for Straights, and Good for America http://www.amazon.com/Gay-Marriage-Good-Straights-America/dp/0805078150/ref=sr_1_2/103-9952634-8362257?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177303564&sr=1-2
You might want to get them for your paper, or just for yourself in general.
Has anyone out there read either of the books, and what did you think? They seemed to have good reviews and from what I could tell, the arguements are logical and strong.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:47 am 
coconut

Not so many years ago it was illegal to marry outside your race. Any white person who had the guts to be seen in the company of a black person (or any other race) was considered a disgrace.
When people started being more open minded, others ran to the bible for some excuse as to why they should not be allowed to marry.
There were even those who spouted the bible to explain why desegregation in schools should not be allowed

Today we see that we can all work together and that we all have a place in this nation. Yes there are still those that believe differently but for the most part the country is a better place because of tolerance.
I assume that in my lifetime society will open their minds to the possibility that there is room for everyone.

I do believe that anyone who wishes to get married be allowed to marry who they choose as long as they are both consenting adults
somehow near
Sometimes it seemed
if I just dreamed
somehow you would
be here

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:46 pm 
~Wil~

Afaalf,

So far, I think that your paper sounds pretty good! Keep up the good work.

~W

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:22 pm 
AFAALF

Thanks I've got so many books as sources and my paper is like a book. I think this may be the best paper I've ever wrote.

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:12 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: