BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

gay responsibility

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
cupcakes

gay responsibility

So my gay friend finally convinced me to go to one of those gay meetings and during this meeting someone ranted for a little while about how so many gay people in the community are not coming out and supporting gay issues.

they went on to talk about how gay apathy is spreading like a disease and how happy gay people are just living their happy lives in their own little "bubble" and leaving the responsibility of pushing forward the gay agenda on other people.

while i can kind of see their point, something in me makes me feel like the whole thing is wrong. I'm not sure what it is though.

I guess i'm wondering why everyone has to be political? why can't people be allowed to be just happy?

and maybe not all gay people feel the same on gay issues and they don't wanna be put under some umbrella gay agenda group. maybe they don't want their individuality to be compromised or are afraid to be reduced to "one of those lunatics" by joining any particular movement.

people who are active in gay politics are there by choice, aren't they? they are there because they think the world should be a certain way. I think that there are certain people who are meant to take on those roles and responsibilities but others are just meant to watch. the world's gonna keep moving changing whether we like it or not.

Confused

I'm sure many people feel as those other group members did which isn't bad, but for some reason it still makes me uncomfortable.

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:59 am 
Eiregirl

Cupcakes,

Agenda…hmmm everyone wants to make every issue an “agenda” and more often than not they want to make it a “political agenda”. As you somewhat pointed out, different people handle things differently. The “marriage” issue for example. There are many homosexuals like myself who could really care less whether or not we are legally allowed to be married but I still support the rights of those who wish to be married if they choose but it is not an issue for me and I have been involved in some pretty good discussions about it with friends because it does not really matter to me and they think it should.

I am very happy living my life as I wish to live it…“my bubble”…and it is just my personal opinion that that is what we all (all humans) want. We want to be able to live our lives the way we want to live them. Should we not all have that right? The right to live our lives the way we choose to live them and to be able to do so without fear of any kind of retribution.

When an issue becomes political then anyone who agrees or disagrees with that issue SHOULD in my opinion make their opinion known to those who represent them in government. They don’t have to be an “activist”, they don’t have to join in marches, parades or groups of any kind and if that kind of stuff makes them uncomfortable then they should not do it but they should at least let those who represent them know what they think.

As you said, the world will keep moving and things will continue to change whether we like it or not but should we try to make the world a place we enjoy living.

I like my bubble…but I make my views known to those who have the power and ability to make changes.

Thats just my opinion and as you well know Smile I am full of opinions

Hugs you tight
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: