BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

South Africa WOMAN'S DAY - 9 August

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
realwoman

South Africa WOMAN'S DAY - 9 August

Today is Woman's Day here in South Africa - a Public Holiday during which the contribution of Woman in the battle agaisnt all sorts of oppression are commemorated...

On 9 August 1956, a bunch of woman (about 50 000) bravely marched to the seat of Government, the Union Buildings, in Pretoria - to indicate their dismay at the apartheid system and at the men who had become too accustomed to it and who no longer wanted to oppose it...

Even before that, on 15 August 1915, another bunch of woman (about 15 000, survivors of the British concentration camps) marched to the Union Buildings to passively rebel against the colonial Imperialstic Government - woman from all accross the country, travelled to Pretiria by whatever means possible, and walked in deadly silence for 5 miles to the Union Buildins, all dressed in black...must have been an awesome sight! Their daughters repeated this march in the 1940's to protest against Wolrd War II...

It seems that the women of Africa have on more than one occasion stood up against a condition of dehumanisation which has dulled the sense of rage among the men of Africa, inhibiting their ability to take bold and courageous action to free themselves and their societies from conditions of life inimical to the very concept of human dignity.

I hereby lift my glass to all these woman, and to all of you, the Ladies of Mels, in the knowledge that we will take courage from our sisters that came before us and showed us that we indeed, can be free and true to ourselves and our innermost guiding spirits....

And as a continuation of this little private celebration, I thought you might enjoy these quotes by famous women:

"A male gynecologist is like an auto mechanic who never owned a car." -Carrie Snow

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends." -Laurie Kuslansky

"A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't." -Rhonda Handsome

"Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows." -Jennifer Unlimited

"Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body starts falling apart." -Caryn Leschen

"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once." -Jennifer Unlimited

"If high heels were so wonderful, men would still be wearing them." -Sue Grafton

"When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country." -Elayne Boosler

"Behind every successful man is a surprised woman." -Maryon Pearson

"In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man- if you want anything done, ask a woman." -Margaret Thatcher

"I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house." -Zsa Zsa Gabor

and my favourite:
"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission." -Eleanor Roosevelt

light is to darkness as love is to fear...

Last edited by realwoman on Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:55 pm 
ghost

Good one REal!!

raising my glass as well...

(((((((((((((((((women of the world))))))))))))))))))))))

regards
ghost

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:42 pm 
frozenillusion

*pours herself a glass and raises it*

Good post Real.

Also want to post some thoughts for those women who still live in opression out there... may it still be in our lifetime when the whole world is an open and accepting place.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tracey

*raises a glass of water*

Great post Real

sometimes i wonder... ' why is that frisbee getting bigger'... and then it hits me

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:37 pm 
Mdm Prez

Real

I enjoyed this post, the history lesson was illuminating. Thanks!

Also, like the witticisms at the bottom, makes you smile.

Well, here's to you real and your countrywomen!!!!

Cat

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:42 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

Real,

Thank you for informing us of this holiday--a public holiday, celebrating women's accomplishments and potential--that's spectacular! Granted we have "Women's History Month" here in the States, but it's not as meaningful because it's not directly tied to a historic event.

The women of our world continue to amaze me on a daily basis.
I raise my glass to you, Real and all the women of South Africa, everyone here at Mels, and to our Sisters thoroughout the world.

Cheers,
Eilidh

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:28 pm 
Cavewoman

Raising my glass to the ladies of South Africa and their moral fortitude, backed by conscious action......Enjoy the day ladies.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:28 pm 
kaJo

*raises bowl of granola*

HOORAY to the women of South Africa! May we not only benefit from their courage and sacrifice but may women around the world see them as an example of how we can continue to improve the lives of other generations ahead.
Hooray to whomever established this day of celebration recognizing these heroic women.

kaJo

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:32 pm 
Landie

Wmone's day 2007

Hey Real,
thanks for this post.
Reading it reminded me of what a great country we live in and how much better it would be if women took control and ruled.

I love the women of this country I wish them, and all the women of the world, a happy Women's day on the 9th of August.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:35 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: