BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Coming Out....

gay doctor

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
jolifemme

gay doctor

well,i am a medical student n i wonder how the community would accept a doctor who is gay.i have been in love with a girls for 3 years but we din tell anyone about it.we will wait for the right time to tell everyone...but the thing is not easy cuz our parents will surely reject us plus if i work as a doctor it will put an end to my career(hopefully it wont be like that).but i also dont want to hide it cuz it is very hard n hurtful cuz i am not who i am!! Sad
i wish we don have to hide our relationship one day and i can pratice as a doctor cuz i have passion on it.so what am i suppose to do n how should i plan my future?i really don wanna give up either one of them(my gf n my profession)

thanks for reading...

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:10 pm 
pinklayla

Jolie,

I am wondering where you are from/ where you reside and what predominant cultural attitudes at are work? I work at a large university medical center in the southern United States of America. Medical staff here are very diverse. The institution actively recruits members of the gay/lesbian community as patients and employees. HR offers domestic partnership benefits. It is a very supportive environment.

Some patients seek out providers who they feel have a good understanding of their life and their health concerns. (I.E. gay women seeking out a lesbian physician).

Other patients are usually not aware. They are only concerned that their doctor is competent, responsive and compassionate.

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:18 pm 
Dueceswild

I agree with Pink. I too am in the medical field, and I agree fully with both points she made. As a lesbian, gay people find comfort knowing that "family" is treating them and most straight people don't notice and if they do their only concern is that I am competent in my job.
Good luck, don't hide your self in fear. I don't flaunt my personal life, but I also won't deny it if I am asked. I want people to love me for who I am, Not for what they think I am! Your personal life is just that, and no one elses business if that is how you want it!
Hope I helped,
D

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:20 pm 
chordphrute

...from a patients' perspective.. I search for doctors ONLY in the GLYP (Gay and Lesbian Yellow Pages). I feel much more comfortable seeing somebody whom I know understands the medical/health needs of lesbian women, and understands that it is different than that of a heterosexual woman.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:19 pm 
cesini

I lived in Seattle for many years, and several gay and lesbian doctors would advertise as such. Even when they didn't, they worked alongside everyone else, no big deal. Seattle is a very accepting and liberating community. I would suggest you move to somewhere like that.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:48 pm 
jolifemme

thanks for ur posting....it really helps me understanding the world that is different fr here.too bad i am living here(prefer not to say my exact location)people in ur area are more supportive than here.it really scared me cuz i really donno wat to do...so at this moment i must hide my sexuality but i really don want to hide it forever.if not someday i will be freak!!so i plan to imigrate to somewhere where people can accept who i am...but i have to wait for a few years and hope that everything is going with my plan.so how u guys think about that?hope to get some advice fr here Smile

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:49 am 
Dueceswild

Sounds like a plan jol, I wish you luck and much happiness

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:46 pm 
jolifemme

deuces,
thank u.no matter what it takes,i will fight for my luv n happiness!! Cool

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:52 am 
frozenillusion

Jolie,

I wanted to wish you luck. Wherever you are, know that you're not alone in your situation - many Homosexuals emmigrate from opressive socities every year... but many more stay in them and hide. (Although, of course, a few risk everything to fight for their rights.)

Emmigrating sounds like a good plan though. You should find that you have lots of options for where to go to find a place where you and your partner can be open.

As for doctors... I actually tend to prefer male doctors but yes, if I have a female doctor I would probably prefer her to be a lesbian. As others have said, if you are an openly gay doctor in an accepting society, you will find patients both from within the community and from without.

Anyhow, wish you all the best in the future. I hope you will stay around and let us know how it goes. Smile

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
naughtygurl72

i too work in the medical field...when i started at my first job i was scared to talk relationships,..once i had been there for awhile and got to know the other nurses i worked with as well as some of the doctors it became much easier..i felt accepted..it was actually a doctor who got me to be more open...i was charge nurse on duty that day when he came in to make his rounds...after we had made several rounds he broached the subject..he was like honey come on out of that closet....i looked at him in complete astonishment..i opened my mouth to ask him if he was gay..all he did was nod is head yes..pat me on my shoulder..told me to hold my head high and be proud of who i am...so from them on thats what i did...if you have friends in your life that are truly your friends and truly care for you..your sexuality should not matter...i have to say i was very fortunate when i told my family...my dad was more accepting that i thought he would be...mom gave me a hard time for a bit...my brothers was like damn..who knew i could talk eating pussy with my sister Very Happy they meant that it the most loving way....my baby brother is a cop..my other brother died in a car crash..my twin has been the most amazing support person in my life.....when i first started dating she was a bit leery....when i met the woman im with now she did not like her at all..once she saw how happy we were she supported us...my parents treat her 3 girls just like their biological grandchildren...so i have to say that i have been lucky... support is out there for you..just remember to always hold your head high and be proud of who you are...i think thats all the advice i can give you...hope it helps..

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:51 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: