BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Webs

Gay & Lesbian School Teachers - NEED YOUR INPUT!!!

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Paradiso&Lei

Gay & Lesbian School Teachers - NEED YOUR INPUT!!!

I need some help from all you beautiful ladies out there.

I am an education major in college and I have to do a research paper on how gay and lesbian teachers effect student learning. Positives, negatives, how they incorperate things, should it even be allowed (some parts of the country still live in the 19th century), policies, etc....

If any of you have any ideas or know of any good books or web sites (I have to have both types of sources) PLEASE let me know!!!

Thanks a million!

Keep the Peace and Spread the Love
Meg

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
melons
Site Admin

Hi Paradiso&Lei Very Happy

well...I'm not a teacher lol....but, here's my view...

All teachers are expected to maintain professionalism in their jobs. Professionalism and pride in one's chosen career is no different for gay, lesbian, bi or hetero individuals. Teaching is about communication of knowledge, not about the communication of ones sexuality!

Surely the only time teaching and sexuality should become a problem is if you have a paedophile teaching a minor...don't you think?

All the best,

Mel Cool

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:57 pm 
Jaci

At a nearby high school there is a transgendered teacher. One year the he became a she. Throughout the "transition" the teacher maintained professionalism and has been teaching for a number of years...and to this day still teaches...only as a woman. From a students perspective most seem to be accepting and do not really mind that their teacher was once a man. I think the negativity comes from the parents who may be fearful that professionalism is not maintained in the classroom. I believe this fear stems mainly from ignorance. Bottom line, as long as the teacher is doing their job well, there should be no issue of race, creed, or sexuality.

~Jack

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:08 pm 
sorrybutimanicebloke

If you are trained to be a teacher (or trainin??) then sexuality should not be an issue. I hold a degree in education and in the process of my masters degree. I cannot believe that youi were given this essay title. Why make such an issue of your sexulaity in this context??

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:56 pm 
sorrybutimaniceloke

Also talking as a regular teacher your own sexuality should not impact upon your students. So long as you can actually TEACH nothing matters. Not sure why you are worried. If this essay is optional I would abort it right now and choose a more conventional subject where you might be able to find a reference or two! Am I missing the point here?

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:11 pm 
melons
Site Admin

Hi, heres a book for you.... Very Happy

School's Out: The Impact of Gay and Lesbian Issues on America's Schools
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1555832490/qid=1095496287/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/002-3615525-5637665?v=glance&s=books

I'm not sure the content is what you are looking for, but you could check it out Wink ,

regards,

Mel Cool

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:42 am 
Paradiso&Lei

Thank you all sooooo much for your input! It was of great help. This may sound strange, but I am actually looking forward to writing this essay. Most of the people around where I live and go to school are exteemly homophobic, and I think this essay could be an eye-opener for a lot of them. If any of you have or know of any other resources I could use, please let me know.

Mel- thanks for the book info. I am totally going to check it out.

Thanks a bunch ladies!

Keep the Peace and Spread the Love
Meg

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: