BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Thought provoking for me

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DanceofSorrows

Thought provoking for me

I have been reading a web book that I believe is very beneficial to me. So I thought I would share it with you. It is at emotional-literacy.com/2000_i.htm (just add the www. in front of it.)

The title points to what it is about - emotional literacy. If anyone reads it, would you be willing tell me what you think? I had a few lightbulb -yes I understand that finally, moments just in the first 2 chapters. But I am still reading trying to absorb it slow.

Dance~

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:38 am 
wyldhart

I must agree, Dance, that this is a very thought provoking book. So much so, that I ordered a copy from my local bookstore. There are so many key points to absorb and live by that I want the book "in hand"..for reference. I can tell already that this will be one book that has the power to change your life. I would encourage everyone to just check out the first few chapters....and take it from there. Thank you, Dance, for this treasure. I would not have found it otherwise. I saw your name...and the title of this thread and knew it would be worth my time.

warm hugs,
wyld

Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:08 pm 
Hawaiian

Dance,

This was indeed a thought provoking series. I am still mulling over the implications and applications in my own life.

Aloha,
-Hawn

Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:55 pm 
DanceofSorrows

Wyld,

It is so nice to see a post by you, I hope you are doing ok and that things are working well for you. I really loved what the author had to say and how the examples clearified such importance of EL. I know I have much work in this area ahead which I am excited about. It is also very warming to share this with others to know there will be concepts in the book (agreed or not agreed on) but nevertheless being able to relate in comunication on the definition and understanding of them. It's not new age stuff but defining a real maturity of communication and interaction with others that is admirable about the book. I am glad you found it to be a gem as well. I will probably be back at this post in development of thoughts of what I read. Feel free to do the same, it would be interesting. But it is great to see you, thanks for responding and telling me your thoughts on it. Big hugs you~

Hawn, (I like that nic for you)

You got so much further than me in the book lol. I am still on the second book link he posted. As we had talked about, I can have a tendency to 'shut down' or run from emotions. Small applications to implement some of his suggestions are future reading yet for me. But when I do I will share it with you. Smile Hugs~

Dance~

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 pm 
DanceofSorrows

Thoughts so far~

At times I have wearily struggled with concepts, beliefs and perceptions but then gave way to a platform for the current, authoritative words in the mainstream of psychology, theology and society's acceptable mainstream views. In angst within the other times, I found myself continuing the lonesome struggle to find a more solid base that was not conflicting with my own intuitive nature and an ability to reason, experiencing the associations, and coming into a sensible reality of thoeries and concepts placed before me.

This is one statement in book two that had great appeal and affect on me (page 35 of book two).

"On the other hand if a person says he feels humilated, discounted, rejected, insulted, or loved, for instance, those are definately not emotions but statements about what he believes others are doing to him....While a person says he feels humilated, he may be actually feeling ashamed and afraid while believing he was humilated."

This is very enlightening to me. Underneath the indications of emotions was actually the statement on percieved intent. I have dealt with this in great manner in one of my relationship and couldn't put my finger on it until now, though I felt the enormous impact of emotions involved with the blame of such statements. Walking on eggshells all the time emotionally, feeling mistrusted and misunderstood I can understand now the connection better.

And as far as some other statements in the book, that we do have affect on others emotions (instead of the theory many have subscribed to with pop psychology) and can be responsible for how others feel...well yes I agree with more than my mind but with my experiences. We are responible for our reactions as are others...but we have a profound impact on those around us, for better or worse. Limited knowledge or ignorance of it doesn't change that fact.

Anyhow...just sharing here.

Dance~

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:09 pm 
realwoman

DANCE

Thanks a lot for this!! In my journey to final acceptance of myself, or waht I call my "AWAKENING" I came accross similar concepts, which made a lot of sence to me and helped me a great deal. I learned the difference between IQ and Emotional Intelligence (EQ), and then discovered the concept of Spiritual Intelligence (SQ). This EL and SQ seems to be similar concepts, with different names.

The more I read about this, the more things that bothered me for a long time started to make sence, and I got to understand the difference between religion (the dogmatic patriarchic system, which I have a problem with) and spirituality, amongst others. The best part was understanding how I can use my thoughts - my energy, to influence the lives of those around me in a positive way!!

And so our journey continues........

Real

light is to darkness as love is to fear...

Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:21 am 
DanceofSorrows

That is cool Real Smile I finally got through chapter two...am savoring and taking the pages slow. I have a quick reflex of defenses that I am trying to work through and gosh it is work and I am making mistakes but I get back up and keep trying. The practicality of this book is valuable to me.

I have heard of spiritual intellegence, which is making me smile alot of the definitions of emotional and spiritual intellgence, since intellgence is part of the rationale. But the meaning is most definately the full experience of both and coming to define it. I was molded into a southern baptist conscience so that is hard to work through as well. Ah...this spiritual fence sitting is hurting my arse but it is what it is for now. I'll stick with the emotional literacy for now Wink

Dance~

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:24 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: