BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Coming Out....

Lesbian...do u ever get used to that word?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sapphic_pride

Lesbian...do u ever get used to that word?

It has been seven months since I came out, and I still have times when I will hear the word "Lesbian", and then go, "Oh my G, I am one!" It's not out of disgust or anything, its more of "Oh yeah, thats right, I am."

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:17 am 
Sassy63

I came out a little over a year ago. It took me a little time to feel comfortable with calling myself a Lesbian......but now I am very proud to say that YES, I am a Lesbian......and in love with a wonderful woman!

"The heart would never have rainbows if the eyes never had tears..." Anonymous

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:31 pm 
sothernnite

my g/f and i live in a VERY small town..but luckily most are used to seeing us.. bt sometimes you get those that just stare and stare b/c we are both prety butch. so if the staring persist, we say out loud that "Yes, we are dykes." we dont use lesbians as much..it's too politically crrect for my taste... it's like saying "this is my partner". we just say girlfriend. its what we are. but shy? hell no, im nt shy abot it at all. if they dont like it they shouldnt stare. i am not going to change for a few sets of eyes looking at me

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:07 pm 
Jules

I have to agree here...When people ask me, I am not ashamed to tell them who I am. When Britt and I were still flying out to see one another, we were saying goodbye in airports all the time. At first I was a little timid...By the end I didn't care and it was even a little funny to me. I remember we were in the Boston airport saying goodbye...There was this woman standing with a group of friends about ten feet away from us...All of a sudden I heard her repeating over and over....."They are BOTH GIRLS!!"
I don't care anymore...I am who I am and I'm not going to change for someone else...

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:45 pm 
Sassy63

After being out for only a couple of months we were walking through a very large furniture store holding hands. A woman walked passed us and turned to say "You are two very brave women." We simply smiled.

We try to be curtious to family that aren't exactly accepting, and don't want to make them uncomfortable, but as for friends or the public, I am who I am and very proud of it.

As for the use of "partner" versus girlfriend, etc., I usually refer to my spouse as my partner, but she refers to me mostly as her wife. And I'm very proud to be called her wife!!

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:21 pm 
Cavewoman

Hello ! I'd like you to meet my wife, Phyllis, and oh by the way, my name is Bonnie.... we are lesbians, lovers, partners, friends, special ladies, "those people", dykes, queers, gay and happily married since 1986. I stuck out both hands and claimed my toaster oven in 1972; Phyl in 1974.

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:12 pm 
Sassy63

I like it!!! You go, Cavewoman!!! (Blonde moment maybe, but I don't get the toaster oven??? Meaning "Out"?)

Rogena

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:19 pm 
baby_dyke86

quote:
Originally posted by Jules:
I have to agree here...When people ask me, I am not ashamed to tell them who I am. When Britt and I were still flying out to see one another, we were saying goodbye in airports all the time. At first I was a little timid...By the end I didn't care and it was even a little funny to me. I remember we were in the Boston airport saying goodbye...There was this woman standing with a group of friends about ten feet away from us...All of a sudden I heard her repeating over and over....."They are BOTH GIRLS!!"
I don't care anymore...I am who I am and I'm not going to change for someone else...

You hid your timidnes well. And is it just me or did you wanna' run over to that woman and say "Be careful. We have cooties"? HeeHee

Last edited by baby_dyke86 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
baby_dyke86

The weird thing for me is I think I got used to being referred to as "dyke" before I did as "lesbian". I never tried to hide who I was. I was here and I was so queer. I didn't, and still dont, care who knew. I'm not shy in public. If I want to kiss my girlfriend in line at Taco Bell, I will. If I was to sport a shirt that says "Pride" in rainbow letters, I will. It doesn't matter. Being a homo is only a little part of who I am. Those people don't know me and a million dollars says I will NEVER see most of them again. And if they do, I'll bet they'll remember me. Smile So here's to pride! My name is Brittany and I'm a homosexual!

Post Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Jules

thats my girl.............

Post Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:51 pm 
baby_dyke86

quote:
Originally posted by Jules:
thats my girl.............

Always and forever.

Post Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:25 pm 
Greenshadow

Yeah, it took me a while to get used to it. Oddly enough, having a guy fawning over me for a while helped. Having to tell somebody out loud "I'm a lesbian," practically a dozen times a day before they finally believe you and back off tends to cure any aversion to the word. Laughing

Post Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
RunninAway

What the world really needs is more like you baby_dyke86, I think a lot of us could learn from you, but don't know that we would all be able to keep up with the lesson plan.

The longer I exist, and the more comfortable I become with who I am, not what I am, because I'm not a thing, I'm a person, the more I want to scream to the world "Get over it and move on". I am perplexed how someone can be uncomfortable when my girlfriend leans into my lap and I put my hand on her hip, or if I wink at her or whisper in her ear, while on the other side of them two straight people are doing things that would make even the most veteraned prostitute blush.

I'm tired of trying to convince my girlfriend that it's ok if people know I'm a lesbian, if they know we are together, I don't care, I'm proud of it. It's ok if my daughter sees an innocent PDA between us, or if she hears me tell her that I Love her, it's nothing she hasn't seen or heard before, it's NORMAL for pity's sake. I shouldn't have to convince her that it's ok to be a lesbian, thanks to me, she earned her toaster three years ago.

I respect the rights of everyone, I would just like my rights respected as well. I'm not trying to throw it in your face I'm a lesbain, I could give a flying you know what less what you think. But don't talk about me behind my back or like I'm not there. If you want to know, ask, I'll answer your questions. Now that most of my family knows , they all have lots of questions, I have some answers, and we all have a much better understanding of who I am and what it's about. They still love me the same as they always have, some of them more, because they are proud of me, and glad to see me happy for a change. Makes for some interesting conversations when my cousins are defending it to my Aunts/Uncles, we have all learned so much. My brother, Mr Christian that he is, wants to get me a license plate for my truck that says DYKSRUS, gotta love him.

OK, I'm rambling, but it's Friday afternoon and I've been reading these posts all week, thoughts just stewing around in my head, guess it's about time they came out. I'm a Lesbian, thank god for small favors!!!!!

Have a great weekend all you lovely ladies.................

Post Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:08 pm 
calypso

Runnin, if some day I am going to be like you, I'll be happy with myself..

I admire you soo much for what you just said... That's my goal..

It's always good to read such beautiful and true things

thanks!...cali***

Post Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:10 am 
irishdyke

I've been out for over seven years now and I don't feel as self conscious as I used to. There's no reason why I should. I no longer think, "oh my god, I'm kissing another girl in public." And considering I left Chicago to be with my gf in okc and the climate's a little different down here, I'd say that's kind of a miracle not the feel self conscious.

As for the dyke/lesbian thing: my gf and I like to tell ppl that we're not lesbians, we're dykes...we don't make enough money to be lesbians. Plus, we're butch and old fashioned and equate lesbian with, well, more femme than we're ever be. Don't get me wrong, we're not desparaging anyone who does refer to themselves in that category, we just don't feel it's our category. I think southernite knows what I'm talking about. Smile

Post Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:13 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: