BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Coming Out....

How do you tell your family?

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MahoganySoul

How do you tell your family?

I am considering telling my sister that I am a lesbian before this weekend is out and I just want some advice on how to do this. She will be the first family member that I tell and I know that she does not agree with it, but I also know that she has a clue about my sexuality. I just don't want to lose her because she is my very best friend but at the same time I can't go on like this because everyone else knows and things are getting really akward. Please help me out, as I am very scared about all of this

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Rawne

D o you have a girlfriend?

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:35 pm 
MahoganySoul

No, not at the moment, but that is not why it is awkard. Everyone else knows execpt her and I want her to know. It is getting very hard for me to just continue to deny that part of myself. I don't think that is is fair to me, I just don't want my to lose my best friend and sister.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Rawne

Oh, ok. My suggestion would have been to say "I want you to meet someone, she is my girlfriend". If you don't have one I'm not really sure what would be the best method. I'm suprised no-one else has offered any advice, as I'm sure alot of the girls here have had to go through the awkward process of telling their loved ones.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:47 am 
wyldhart

Mahogany- babe...you state that she has a clue. That should make it somewhat easier, you think she "might" know..well, has your relationship changed because of this? The best way to approach it is with honesty...be true to yourself, your sis, and your feelings~ be bold with the truth....that old expression..."The truth shall set you free"...you would be amazed at the clarity of it~slow smile~ for it does set you free....free to be yourself...it breaks the chains that binds..truly. And when you come into yourself, to love yourself completely, to love the fit of the skin you are wearing..there is no better feeling in the world than that. So, let me stop rambling with my metaphor's and life views~smiles~ and just say, find somewhere quiet to talk, and have a heart to heart....do it for yourself, and tell your sis exactly what this means to you..and what she means to you. Wishing you the best, babe. Oh, and let me know how it goes....

warmest hugs
wyld

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:52 am 
sunflower

just say, "by the way, i'm a lesbian..please pass the ketchup." Very Happy

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:11 pm 
Rawne

quote:
Originally posted by sunflower:
just say, "by the way, i'm a lesbian..please pass the ketchup." Very Happy

Ha Smile Very Happy

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:28 pm 
MahoganySoul

Thanks for everyone'e replies; I believe that I will tell her tomorrow. We both get out of class the same time and don't have to work so I will tell her tomorrow. I will cook her dinner or something nice and just tell her. I hope that everything goes great and she is still my best friend.

Thanks

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:12 pm 
fawnie

make sure you have french fries or something..so the ketchups on the table Wink Laughing

on a serious note..even if your family..in this case your sister, doesn't like your choices..for whatever reason..she loves you..and in time..hopefully what will matter most is seeing you happy...and you might even discover she will be a supportive person in your life.

best of luck!

fawnie

Post Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Sheila

Hi there

I might be way too late for a reply, but just wanted to wish you could luck and i agree that the truth is always the best thing but just handle the situation with care because people are affraid of the unnknown, so don't blame her if she's mad, give her time to addapt and accept it, believe me, in time the family gomes around and will love you for who you are and not what you are. If not, well .... need i say more.

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:49 am 
MahoganySoul

I told my sister which was a big step for me and she is cool with it. She told me a huge secret of hers to and so it helped us to get closer. So I am glad while it was difficult is was also one of the most liberating expericences of my life.

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:14 am 
LCB

I can't really help you there. I haven''t told my stepfamily because they live in India and are brought up in a society that doesn't accept it. I tell a few friends in England from time to time and people on message boards and my mum knows. Usually I just say that I wnt to remain single and I pretend that my soulmate is my best friend. She herself has no idea I'm in love with her uless you count an attempt to tell her when I was 10. I always somehow had a ind of presentiment that I would never mrry or get into a relationship in real life, act yes, but that in real life I'd remain single. Good luck anyway whatever you decide to do. Very Happy

Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:47 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: