BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

PMS!!!

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
topaz117

PMS!!!

Hi all...
I have been experiencing the worst PMS ever for the past few months...the other 27-28 days of the month I am fine...I'm a basically happy person...but by the end of the first three days of my period I begin to doubt my sanity. Then I wake up the fourth day, and all is well again.
I can't stay holed up in my home away from the world during those days, and the last two times I ended up putting myself and my lady love through an awful time! I get upset with her, and begin to have severe insecurities, and I wouldn't blame her if she thinks I am losing it! I am just plain irrational, and the thing is, I know I am being that way but I can't seem to fight it off. It's only because she knows that person isn't me that she tolerates it, I think!
I wanted to take a poll and ask if any of you take something specifically for PMS. I don't want or need an antidepressant..and I certainly don't want anything with sexual side effects!
I just need something natural/herbal, etc. Have any of you tried something with success?
Has anyone heard of/tried Serenity? It claims to have no side effects whatsoever, but their website really doesn't go into detail.

Thanks for any help!
Topaz

Post Sun May 22, 2005 5:37 am 
Mairi bheag

I have problems beyond PMT, and I try to deal with them by relaxation, and by devising little "coping strategies".

Mb
xx

Post Sun May 22, 2005 8:10 am 
melons
Site Admin

Hi Topaz Smile

some useful alternative medicines for you ....

St Johns Wort
for depression.

Vitamin B6
to assist in the production of progesterone to counterbalance estrogen. It also promotes the synthesis of neurotransmitters in the brain such as serotonin and dopamine (helpful also with depression). Decreased levels of these neurotransmitters have been suggested in the etiology of PMS. Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin but it can be toxic in large doses or with moderate doses over an extended period of time, so be careful.

Evening Primrose Oil
often recommended for headache, cramping, bloating, breast pain, depression, and irritability. EPO contains gamma-linolenic acid, which is involved in the metabolism of hormone-like substances called prostaglandins that regulate pain and inflammation in the body.

Magnesium (mg)
magnesium appears to benefit women with cramps, mood swings, depression, fatigue, breast tenderness, and water retention. Magnesium may work by promoting dopamine production and indirectly inhibiting activity of the hormone prolactin. It is involved in prostaglandin metabolism and vitamin B6 activity. Vitamin B6 is required for Mg to enter cells. Magnesium deficiency may be associated with cravings for chocolate. Too much magnesium can cause diarrhea and serious health problems.

Chaste Tree (Vitex Agnus-Castus)
Chaste tree is recommended for breast pain and tenderness, infrequent menstrual periods and ovarian cysts. This herb affects the pituitary gland by increasing the production of luteinizing hormone (LH) and shifting the ratio of estrogen to progesterone in favor of progesterone.

Dietary Suggestions :
the following dietary changes may be beneficial for controlling PMS or PMT

1. Reduce sugar and salt intake. This is especially useful for bloating and swelling of the hands and feet, breast tenderness, and dizziness. Increase foods rich in potassium, such as fish, beans, and broccoli.

2. Eat small, frequent meals to help stabilize blood sugar.

3. Eliminate caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety, depression, and breast tenderness.

4. Increase intake of fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, and fish.

5. Avoid alcohol.

6. Decrease intake of fatty foods and red meat.

Hope that helps...

Mel Cool

Post Sun May 22, 2005 9:31 am 
Phoenix
Moderators

one warning, be careful with st. johns wart, and must be taken carefully.

One must be careful with natural remedies, study up on them and take with caution. Meditation is a very big help as well.

brat

Post Sun May 22, 2005 3:03 pm 
topaz117

Thanks so much for the replies! Mel, my mom just read the ingredients of a supplement her hebalist recommended, and the top three ingredients are B6, Mag, and Vitex. Dong Quai, Wild Yam, and Licorice are the other three. He also suggested EPO. I have used St. John's Wort in the past, and it worked, but there is a side effect of sun sensitivity.
I'm going to give this supplement a try...I can't have such a disruption in my life like this every month. We have a house full of company this weekend, and I am just as cool and calm as can be...I don't even want to imagine what it would have been like if they had been here last weekend instead, LOL.

Topaz

Post Sun May 22, 2005 3:59 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: