BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

Celebrating Life

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Outdoors65

Celebrating Life

I received a phone call last night from my mom. I knew it was about my grandmother (dad's mom), because I haven't talked to my parents in close to 2 years.

My grandmother is 101, and her mind is sharp! She has a great sense of humor, which is a great quality at her age. Unfortunately, her heart isn't so strong. She's been experiencing severe swelling in her lower extremities for a long time, but it has increased over the past month. Last night when she was admitted to the hospital, she had 14-18 pounds of extra fluid in her body.

The diagnosis is congestive heart failure - basically, her heart isn't strong enough to circulate the blood completely through her system...gravity is the enemy. At 101, I'm not sure how invasive the doctors are willing to go, nor how much she is willing to undergo.

My prayer has always been that in death, she does not suffer a long, drawn-out illness. I spoke with her this morning and she complained that the eggs were too bland. Smile They will move her to a more advanced assisted care home, but as fast as she has regressed in the past month, I don't think there is much time left for her.

Trying to be strong and focused on the good things and the long life she has enjoyed, but having some troubles...

Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:22 pm 

Dear Out,

My thoughts are with you, my friend, and with your Grandmother. J

Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:49 pm 
Allison

It's never easy to let one go, but just think of all the good times and wondrous things she has witnessed in 101 years. I hope you get a chance to visit with her again soon, or at least talk with her often. I'm here if you need to talk at any time.

Alli

Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Right here beside you Out. If it makes it any easier for you, let me tell you what my own mother feels about advanced age. Like your Gran, her mind is still as sharp as a tack at 92 and although physically frail I have a feeling she will be around for a long time. She enjoys all the small things in life like the beauty of a flower, the taste of our Tuesday morning coffee and actively solicits information on the doings of all her 4 children, 11 gkids and 9 and a bit g.gkids. These women are still making their way in this world...........but they are tired, a tiredness that I suspect none of us can understand. My Mum tried to explain it to me one day....she said she has lived a long and interesting life, in her later years she had a chance to travel, she has done and seen most everything she wants to. But she misses all those gone before. She misses my Dad (gone now 16 years) and she misses all her immediate family. She has only one surviving friend. She is ready to go. Not actively courting death....but ready.

Know your Gran loves you and has had a long and fulfilling life.....and let her go. I will hope when she does it is quickly and peacefully.(((((((((Out))))))))))))

Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 pm 
Outdoors65

J, Alli, MG,

Thanks for your kind words. I will try to keep you posted with updates.
Busy couple of weeks coming up here. Could be a trip to the northwest in the mix.

The doctor wants to move her to a more advanced care facility. She will most likely be in the same one as her 92 year old sister. It will be nice for them to be near each other. They are the last 2 out of 5 siblings...the oldest and youngest.

Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:47 pm 
wishonastar

Out,
Holding you and yours in my thoughts. Hope everything goes as smoothly as possible.. Nice that your gmother and gaunt will be together for a while.
(((((((Out)))))))))))

Hugs,
Star
But I’m missing way too much
So when do I give up, what I’ve been wishing for.

Down - Jason Woods

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:29 pm 
MdmPrez

Out

I remember the photos from your grandmother's big birthday party. And, if I'm not mistaken, didn't she play the piano?
You and your grandmother have my prayers and you'll be in my thoughts.
May you find peace.

(((((((((((((((((((( out )))))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:16 pm 
Tracey

(((((((((((((Out))))))))))))))

Thinking of you and hope your gran goes peacefully

*hugs*

Tracey

sometimes i wonder... ' why is that frisbee getting bigger'... and then it hits me

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:02 pm 
Outdoors65

Mdm, Star, & Tracey,
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. This site continues to be a place of peace because of the support.

Update: She was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday and moved to a more advanced facility. They moved her bed and her beloved piano to the room where she is staying. I'm sure she has already blessed them with her tunes. (yes, mdm. She did play at her 100th birthday party!

I spoke with her three times on Tuesday and she was in good spirits, but tired. Hopefully today she'll have her cell phone so we can talk again.

Thanks again ladies.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 pm 

What an incredibly special woman. Smile Prayers with you and with her. J

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:05 pm 
Midnight Obsession

Out,

My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Midnight

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:35 pm 
Outdoors65

Thanks J and Mo,

Update is that she has been moved to the more advanced facility, but it sounds like she is still pretty independent, considering. She is awaiting phone service, but is pretty handy with her cell phone (once she learned that it "goes that far" to talk to someone 3 states away).

She has a new chair that allows her to have her legs elevated, but it also lifts up to assist her to a standing position. Tonight she said "oh yes, it goes so far it can toss me on my nose." She is on the same floor as her sister, but they are on opposite ends of the hallway (which is probably a good thing for the rest of the residents).

I don't know if she understands that she won't be moving back to her other residence. One day at a time...

Thanks to everyone for all of your support and prayers.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:58 am 
PipSqueak

It's reassuring to hear that she's still sounds so lively. Keeping her, her sister & you in my thoughts.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:46 pm 
Outdoors65

Thanks, Pip!!!

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: