BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

Dealing with (and helping) a partner with RA

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
chordphrute

Dealing with (and helping) a partner with RA

Anyone here have rheumatoid arthritis or a partner who has it? My partner was recently diagnosed with it (though it's been 'official' for a while) and we've been scoring the cyber ocean for suggestions as it really effects many aspects of our lives.

Thought I'd throw out a line...

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:06 am 
wishonastar

Chord,
I have RA centered in my back so i feel for you both. i am currently looking for a good dr to help me deal with it. the swelling i have is horrible. hot baths and ice packs help me alot. guess it just depends on where her RA affects. Good luck.

Star
But I’m missing way too much
So when do I give up, what I’ve been wishing for.

Down - Jason Woods

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:16 pm 
chordphrute

Thanks, star -

do you have constant flares or are they intermittent ? (Curious - trying to get hers controlled a bit)... her RA affects her entire body - nearly every joint except her elbows.

thanks Razz - d

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:05 am 
wishonastar

so far its been constant since September. affects my entire left side of my body from shoulder to toes. basically been a really bad 6+ months for me. from a stroke to RA nothing has been easy. Good luck with getting hers under control.

Hugs
Star
But I’m missing way too much
So when do I give up, what I’ve been wishing for.

Down - Jason Woods

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:51 am 
chordphrute

thank you ...

good luck to you, too.

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:57 am 
Hawaiian

Aloha Chord,

I don't live with RA, so I cannot really comment on that.

But, I just watched something that made me, angry and hopeful at the same time. Apparently, doctors in the US have had a 70% cure rate using a relatively inexpensive ($2500-once off) treatment. The treatment carries very little risk and uses its own body fat which are taken to a lab which isolates cells (stem cells) which are re-injected into the body. That's the hopeful part. The doctors here are veterinarians and the patients are horses and dogs.

Which brings me to the angry part. Arthritis, MS, diabetes, Alzheimer's and who knows what else has interesting possibilities with the blueprints to cure existing already in one's own DNA. Imagine what we could have accomplished in HUMAN terms if W never injected his (fake) pseudo-religious, anti-science dogma into American politics. Imagine if drug companies weren't looking at people with chronic illnesses as lifetime cash cows.

I will stop now, cause I'm feeling an urge to bring out a bigger soapbox. If you'd like to see the Nightline video about stem cells and arthritis in vet medicine, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJnzjyJ-C9I

Best of luck,
~Miki

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:58 am 
MdmPrez

chord

My cousin has RA. She gets a treatment called Remicade given by IV infusion once a month. It has helped her tremendously. I'm told it's expensive, but her insurance does cover it.

Good Luck,

Cat

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:32 am 
Xalia1
Moderators

Chordy,

My chick has RA in her knees...its bad...
She deals by taking meds and warm baths on cold days...
(She's a heck of a trooper!!)
I'm sorry to hear your gal has it, I know it hurts hellas.
Let us know how she's doing and if you find something that helps more than other things? Take care chickie. ***Hugs***

Xalia

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
LaZCraZDayZ

So my chick already mentioned this...but I have had RA since I was 3 years old. I have had two surgeries to remove rheumatiod nodules on my feet and I was treated by the Shriner's Hospital in Erie, PA until I was about 16. At first they really scared my mom and told her that I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 10, but here I am 28 and still proving them wrong. The pain is something that nobody understands unless they are going through it. It isn't something that is easily explained. Most people don't understand that it is like the worst toothache of your life only deep down in your joints where there is no hope of rubbing it away. I manage by lots of NSAIDS and a few pain pills here and there. Heat is my best friend on a cold, wet day.

It isn't something that is fun to live with, but keeping a positive attitude and knowing that the pain won't last forever is something that always gets me through. I know that some people are worse off than others and I am just blessed that I have been lucky and able to manage mine for the past 25 years.

Let your girl know that times will get tough but that there is always going to be light at the end of the tunnel!!

Love and hugs
Laz
Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you. William Arthur Ward

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:18 pm 
chordphrute

quote:
Originally posted by Hawaiian:
Aloha Chord,

I don't live with RA, so I cannot really comment on that.

But, I just watched something that made me, angry and hopeful at the same time. Apparently, doctors in the US have had a 70% cure rate using a relatively inexpensive ($2500-once off) treatment. The treatment carries very little risk and uses its own body fat which are taken to a lab which isolates cells (stem cells) which are re-injected into the body. That's the hopeful part. The doctors here are veterinarians and the patients are horses and dogs.

Which brings me to the angry part. Arthritis, MS, diabetes, Alzheimer's and who knows what else has interesting possibilities with the blueprints to cure existing already in one's own DNA. Imagine what we could have accomplished in HUMAN terms if W never injected his (fake) pseudo-religious, anti-science dogma into American politics. Imagine if drug companies weren't looking at people with chronic illnesses as lifetime cash cows.

I will stop now, cause I'm feeling an urge to bring out a bigger soapbox. If you'd like to see the Nightline video about stem cells and arthritis in vet medicine, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJnzjyJ-C9I

Best of luck,
~Miki

Miki thanks for the treatment info. Part of the frustration I've had is that all of the treatment leaves her worse off than the original pain! As for W..well... all I can do is nod and agree.

D

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:05 am 
chordphrute

quote:
Originally posted by LaZCraZDayZ:
So my chick already mentioned this...but I have had RA since I was 3 years old. I have had two surgeries to remove rheumatiod nodules on my feet and I was treated by the Shriner's Hospital in Erie, PA until I was about 16. At first they really scared my mom and told her that I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 10, but here I am 28 and still proving them wrong. The pain is something that nobody understands unless they are going through it. It isn't something that is easily explained. Most people don't understand that it is like the worst toothache of your life only deep down in your joints where there is no hope of rubbing it away. I manage by lots of NSAIDS and a few pain pills here and there. Heat is my best friend on a cold, wet day.

It isn't something that is fun to live with, but keeping a positive attitude and knowing that the pain won't last forever is something that always gets me through. I know that some people are worse off than others and I am just blessed that I have been lucky and able to manage mine for the past 25 years.

Let your girl know that times will get tough but that there is always going to be light at the end of the tunnel!!

Love and hugs
Laz

Lazish - thanks for your story. Kd (my gf) read it and could completely empathize and said she couldn't imagine what it would have been like if she had been diagnosed with RA as a kid... you must be so strong (says she)... she also loved your toothache description -

many hugs to you and your chick -

D

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:07 am 
sothernnite

my gf was originally diagnosed with RA...but...that diagnosis has since changed... she has psoriatic arthritis.... sucks..she has the severe pain of the arthritis...almost debilitating on some days.....then she has the psoriasis that flares up all the time. this disease is all over her joints on the right side of her body.

so..i can sympathize
hugssssssss

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:14 am 
chordphrute

oh ack, sothern.. sorry to hear that!

hugs Smile

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:45 am 
Phoenix
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by sothernnite:
my gf was originally diagnosed with RA...but...that diagnosis has since changed... she has psoriatic arthritis.... sucks..she has the severe pain of the arthritis...almost debilitating on some days.....then she has the psoriasis that flares up all the time. this disease is all over her joints on the right side of her body.

so..i can sympathize
hugssssssss

I have recently been finding that iodine deficiency is a huge culprit in many illnesses including arthritic issues. I have suffered from arthritis for years and am doing things to combat it that do NOT include prescription drugs.

Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:20 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: