BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Member Introductions

New and a bit shy

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sariah

New and a bit shy

hi everyone.

I've been lurking for a few months, but been shy to post. I'm 27 and am working on my doctorate in biochemistry. I have recently finally admitted to myself and a few select others that I am indeed homosexual. I'm still in the confused-as-to-what-that-means-for-my-life stage, and so I am appreciating reading all your posts. I feel very disconnected from everyone around me, as they are mostly all pretty homophobic, so finding this website has been really helpful to me.

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:48 pm 
Allison

Welcome aboard! Pull up a seat, relax, chat, read, whatever is fun for you. This is a great site, full of terrific women. Pop into chat sometime and I promise the ladies will cure you of your shyness very quickly Wink

Alli

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Angel1
Moderators

Hey ((((((((sariah))))))))) Exclamation
Welcome To Mels... hope that you enjoy spending time here.Pop into chat sometime, it's a great place to make new friends Wink

with love and respect
Angel1x Exclamation

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:37 pm 
twilight

I echo what Angel and Allison have said. I have been through alot since I joined this site. I always found friends and help here at this site. Pop over to chat if you like... we will be happy to get you know you. Feel free to post any questions you have. Welcome to Mel's.

The lengthening shadows wait The first pale stars of twilight. ~~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
sariah

Thank you all for the warm welcome Wink

Happy days to all Exclamation

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:55 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

Sariah,

A warm welcome to you from another science grad student (well, environmental engineering actually, but we don't discriminate Wink

I can understand your confusion. It's important to remember, too, that it doesn't have to mean anything unless you want it to.

Drop into chat when you have a moment. There will be a circle of kind women to welcome you there.

~Eilidh

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:22 pm 
sariah

quote:
Originally posted by Eilidh:
I can understand your confusion. It's important to remember, too, that it doesn't have to mean anything unless you want it to.

Eilidh,

What you said above is really helpful to me. I tend to obsess about and over-analyze just about everything (which makes me right at home in the science field!). Now that I have finally admitted to myself that I am homosexual, I catch myself obsessing over this aspect of my identity and forgetting that I'm still the same person I was three months ago. This is an important part of my identity which is critical to acknowledge and accept (and learn to love about myself instead of tearing myself to pieces...I've posted some in the "Coming Out" sub-forum about that), but in addition to being homosexual, I am also a scientist, a musician, a person who loves nature, who loves working out, who likes to cook, enjoys reading....etc. Finally acknowledging that I am homosexual doesn't make me into some different breed of person and doesn't change who I have always been. My homosexual orientation is a part of who I am, not the totality of who I am. Acknowledging my orientation, however, does give me the opportunity to learn to accept myself for who I really am, and to make better decisions for my life (I won't, for instance, try getting married to a man ever again!!! And I don't have to put myself through the torture of trying to date one either! You have know idea what a relief that is for me Razz ).

I think that for right now, "what this means for my life" is just that I have the opportunity to love and accept myself and others more fully. I said in the Coming Out thread that I've realized that I am a homophobic homosexual! I have a lot of unlearning to do about what it means to be homosexual (I've been told and taught a lot of crazy things of what homosexuals are like!). And I also have a lot of unlearning to do in how I treat myself. I am hopeful that the road ahead of me will now be one of healing instead of self-destructiveness.

Since all of you women suggested I come to the chat room, I'll have to work up the courage to do so Wink . Thank you all again for making me feel welcome. I have a lot to learn and a lot to unlearn, and I'm feeling like this is a safe place to help me in that.

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:01 pm 
Angel1
Moderators

Hey ((((((((((((Sariah))))))))))) Exclamation
WE will make you very welcome when you pop into chat sweetie Very Happy you'll soon come to realise that we are very supportive and very caring community of very special women Wink See you in chat real soon sweetie. Exclamation
with all my love
Angel x x x Exclamation

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:20 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by sariah:
quote:
Originally posted by Eilidh:

Eilidh,

What you said above is really helpful to me.

sariah,
A wise woman once said the same exact thing to me. I'm glad I could pass along the wisdom.

Take care,
Eilidh

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:30 pm 
GreenEyedKiss
Moderators

Sariah,
Pardon my late welcome...
I was once shy when I first came here...now everyone knows me. Please feel free to wander into chat and get to know the amazing ladies of Mels. I was impressed with your intro, and look forward to seeing your posts on the boards.
Regards,
Green

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others remains immortal"

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:12 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: