BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

Homesickness

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
worldwonder

Homesickness

Hello There
How does one manage homesickness?, here iam thousands of mile from home. Feeling very lonely, missing the pap& boerewors and all South African goodies.
Been away from home for 15 months and all out of the blue i struck by homesickness. These sucks sucks sucks sucks and very.......................screams.....................aggggggggggghhhhhh.
I need to get over these and soon

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:15 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Wonder

I can relate to how you feel, Im an Australian living in California these past 11 months and yes, homesickness can be very real and sometimes painful. If it is mostly the people in your life that you are mssing, then try and up the contact rate - email, use phone cards and call, webcam, wahtever it takes.

If it is your familiars like food or particular TV shows or sights and sounds that you are craving then there are ways around that. Arrange for someone at home to send you a 'care' package of goodies, get on the Web and seek out info, pictures etc from home, read a local newspaper online, play music from your home country. In my case I was SOOOOOOOOOOO missing Vegemite, Milo and Twisties that it was becoming an obsession but my lady did some research and found a company online in the next State that imported Aussie goods and before long I had my fix. funnily enough once I had the Twisties I decided I like the Cheetohs you get here better LOL

The other trick isremember WHY you are here, there has to be a good reason why you left your home country and made the transition, but sometimes we just need to be reminded.

HugZ, Noni

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:39 pm 
realwoman

Re: Homesickness

quote:
Originally posted by worldwonder:
Hello There
How does one manage homesickness?, here iam thousands of mile from home. Feeling very lonely, missing the pap& boerewors and all South African goodies.
Been away from home for 15 months and all out of the blue i struck by homesickness. These sucks sucks sucks sucks and very.......................screams.....................aggggggggggghhhhhh.
I need to get over these and soon

aaaaaaaawwww (((((((((((((((((((((WORLDWONDER)))))))))))))))))))

Lets have a virtual braai, with some virtual pap and boerewors, and I will even make you some gooooddd sheba to go with that (do you like yours with chillies, or mushrooms?), and we will end it with melktert and OBS!!

The love of my life left her home to be with me, and I can see when the homesickness gets her... Noni has a good plan - try to get some mieliemeel and Amarula (i know its available in the States, we got Cave some), and then call your family or a friend, and just chat a little

All the best, and I hope we will see you soon, back here!

Huge hugs

!real

light is to darkness as love is to fear...

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:18 pm 
Hawaiian

Aloha ((((((((Wonder)))))))))

Well, I'm here in SA, and realwoman said she'd make you pap and shaba...I'm about as far from 'home' as I can get.

I'll admit it gets to me too...most of the times it's the little things that trigger it...craving for a simple glazed doughnut...from a particular bakery. It's tastes and smells...sensations and feelings that I find I long for when I'm the most homesick.

I do also miss my family but what helps get me through it is the webcam and yahoo to my family. I can watch my sister yell at the kids and it's like I'm there... Laughing

True it doesn't allow me to hold my new nephew, but as Noni said, remembering why you are there adds a little bit of perspective. So, I'll hold my woman tight until the feeling goes away...and it will.

Hang in there,
~Hawn

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: