BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

The 300 (Thermopylae)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

What is war?
Ask a hundred people and you will get a hundred different answers…but to me it is as General Sherman said, “war is hell” and that is an understatement.

Is it ever just?
Some will say yes and some will say no. I think there is such a thing as a just war. Is it not just to wage war to defend yourself…your family…your country…your way of life?

Is it ever moral?
That depends on what your morals are. Some people have no morals and often they are in a position to wage war.

Why are wars fought?
For every reason known to humanity wars have been fought.

Who suffers?
Everyone...especially those who are to young to understand that war is hell on earth. It is no place for a child to be. It should never be seen by eyes so young.

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Mairi bheag

quote:
Originally posted by Eiregirl:
General Sherman said, “war is hell” and that is an understatement.

I was going to query that and say it was Gen. Ambrose Burnside who said it, but you're right, it was Sherman:

" It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell. "

Mb
xx

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:40 am 
Sappho40s

Quite disappointed with the movie

Because of the hype about 300, I went to the movie with the greatest expectation. I was thoroughly disappointed about the portrayal of the Persians. The Persians are present day Iranians. As a race they are "Aryan," Caucasian and not Arabic or black. To portray all of them as some kind of wierd, sexually perverted black Africans was an insult the Iranians didn't deserve. The movie could have brought the message across about Muslim invasion and violence of Islam (including the harem business), and the heroism of the Spartans in the face of it, without such a grotesque caricature of Persians.

Just my two cents.

Sappho

Post Sat May 26, 2007 7:59 am 
Eiregirl

Re: Quite disappointed with the movie

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho40s:
Because of the hype about 300, I went to the movie with the greatest expectation. I was thoroughly disappointed about the portrayal of the Persians. The Persians are present day Iranians. As a race they are "Aryan," Caucasian and not Arabic or black. To portray all of them as some kind of wierd, sexually perverted black Africans was an insult the Iranians didn't deserve. The movie could have brought the message across about Muslim invasion and violence of Islam (including the harem business), and the heroism of the Spartans in the face of it, without such a grotesque caricature of Persians.

Just my two cents.

Sappho

Sappho,

Your two cents worth are very much appreciated and totally agreed...we saw the movie also and found the portrayal of the Persians to be totally discusting and totally inaccurate.

After watching the movie I watched a history channel documentary on the battle that was 10 times better 100 times more accurate and far more enjoyable to watch.

Hugs,
Eriegirl Arrow

Post Sat May 26, 2007 9:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Landie

In defence.

I know this is a bit late to reply to this topic but I just watched the movie again on DVD. For me it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I understand the need for histroical accuracy and the points on true reflection but I don't think the point of this film was historical accuracy. The point of this film was the great cinematography and break through in special effects used. It is the future of film making.

You must remember that the movie 300 wasn't made on the basis of histrorical facts but rather on the comic book written by Frank Miller who was inspired by wtaching a film of the Spartan warriors. I think the movie captures this brilliantly. The focus is not the Persians, the focus is the great Spartans. Like the director said, it's a movie about a graphic novel about a movie, they didn't try portray history or reality.

Watch it again for it's visual brilliance, the film is a masterpiece.

Post Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:12 pm 
Eiregirl

Re: In defence.

quote:
Originally posted by Landie:
I know this is a bit late to reply to this topic but I just watched the movie again on DVD. For me it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I understand the need for histroical accuracy and the points on true reflection but I don't think the point of this film was historical accuracy. The point of this film was the great cinematography and break through in special effects used. It is the future of film making.

You must remember that the movie 300 wasn't made on the basis of histrorical facts but rather on the comic book written by Frank Miller who was inspired by wtaching a film of the Spartan warriors. I think the movie captures this brilliantly. The focus is not the Persians, the focus is the great Spartans. Like the director said, it's a movie about a graphic novel about a movie, they didn't try portray history or reality.

Watch it again for it's visual brilliance, the film is a masterpiece.

Landie,

No response is to late on this.

If you read an earlier response by me then you know I watched the film also and you already know what I think of the way the Persians were portrayed.

I found parts of the movie to be great and I also found parts of it disgusting especially the portrayal of the Persians. However, I do not think it is a masterpiece of anything. An overall good movie...yes. Good special effects...yes.

You think it was brilliant...I think it was good.

The film makers had a wonderful opportunity to make an absolutely astounding movie for the ages along the lines of Casablanca or Gone With the Wind but they missed the mark by a long shot because instead of going for it by making a more in-depth movie with a good story line they took the easy road and went for a movie based almost entirely on visual effects with very little story line at all. If the film makers were not going to root the movie in any real historical accuracy they could have at least gone all out and put together a good story line.

I still think the History Channel program on Thermopylae was much more interesting for me.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:55 am 
Cavewoman

better late than never............
we never did get to the theatre to see the much touted film... though discussed it with a few who did - they enjoyed the special effects but actually LEARNED nothing......

we DID catch the history channel show which was very informative... also caught the one about the making of the film (rather boring process)

Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:40 am 
Phoenix
Moderators

I've just read this whole discussion on the 300 and other views on war in general. I never studied the war (300), so I enjoyed the history lesson Eire, thanks. It is interesting to note that the Iranians are caucasian and not arab. This plays much into today's politics in the region.

The bloodfeuds that have been going on for thousands of years play along those lines and territory. In studying the politics over Palestine, one never hears about the facts of that region and so most are at a loss to understand exactly what is happening there.

I have two issues that have come to my mind in reading this, though neither are related to the original post of the 300:

1. If women were in control, would we have the worldwide deprevation that causes so many conflicts over resources and power?

2. If your country were overrun by a group from another country, would you believe you have a just reason to go to war and fight to keep it?

phoenix

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:09 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: