BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Do you believe...

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
chordphrute

Do you believe...

...that the arts should be part of the core curriculum for primary school students? Middle school students? High school students? ... and that there should be arts requirements for high school graduation?

Furthermore, should the arts be mandatory at any stage of primary or secondary school...?

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:33 pm 
Eiregirl

Yes

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Xalia1
Moderators

Definately Yes.

Hugs,
Xalia

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
smart_cookie

Yes! Otherwise we may end up with a nation of inchworms.

Inchworm, inchworm,
measuring the marigolds
seems to me you'd stop and see
how beautiful they are

2 and 2 are 4
4 and 4 are 8
you and your arithmetic
you'll probably go far

Arrow

Cookie

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:25 am 
Mdm Prez

chord

I think the arts should be part of the core curriculum for primary and secondary schools.
However, I don't think it should be mandatory for high school graduation, otherwise I'd still be in high school.

Parochial school, where I was educated did an outstanding job and I'm very grateful, however, there was little to nothing in the arts. I believe that's why I'm a cultural philistine.

Cat

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:21 pm 
Rosebud

Exclamation

Last edited by Rosebud on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:58 pm 
chordphrute

Re: chord

quote:
Originally posted by Mdm Prez:
I think the arts should be part of the core curriculum for primary and secondary schools.
However, I don't think it should be mandatory for high school graduation, otherwise I'd still be in high school.

Parochial school, where I was educated did an outstanding job and I'm very grateful, however, there was little to nothing in the arts. I believe that's why I'm a cultural philistine.

Cat

Unfortunately, parochial schools have no standards/benchmarks, or grade-level expectations sanctioned by public policy. They are like an institution of higher learning in that they cater to what the public 'feels is necessary' in order to get their tuition dollars. Just saying that there are many schools like yours.. it is a bit of a shame, although you certainly turned out okay! Smile

Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:56 pm 
chordphrute

quote:
Originally posted by Ms Daisy:
I'm fortunate to be old enough where arts was a mandatory lesson all through my education, including a pre-requisite for high school graduation.

In early elementary it consisted of art class where we learned about paints and other art mediums. In middle school we were allowed to choose between musical/performing arts or painting/sculpture arts. Jr. High school concentrating on literature and art appreciation. High school expanded the options by separating the performing arts speech/drama from instrumental music/chorus.

I was exposed to a great variety of the arts and it has given me a great appreciation for them and yes I feel that all forms of the arts should be required curriculum in the school system, including a pre-requisite for graduation.

Everyone can benefit from taking a speech/drama course. I know it helped me with having the confidence to give a good presentation when I had to do my julia childs style cooking demostration in my home-ed class.

Ms Daisy.. I agree.. I went to a public college-prep high school with many offerings in the arts.. I have always said that the best course I took during my time there was called "Oral Communication", where we learned to debate and deliver public speeches. It has been SO helpful in my life thus far.

Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:59 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: