BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

The Valkyrie…just a little tidbit

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

The Valkyrie…just a little tidbit

The origin of the Valkyries as a whole is not entirely known but it is believed by many scholars that the original Valkyries were pagan priestesses of Odin who lead and sometimes performed the sacrificial rites in which prisoners were executed (“given to Odin”). Around the 12th or 13th centuries the pagan rituals gave way to legends of battle maidens with supernatural abilities. These maidens, the Valkyrie, took an interest in the conflicts of humans and decided who would live and who would die. In the mythological poems of the Poetic Edda the Valkyrie are described as battle-maidens who ride in the ranks of the gods. They carry out the will of Odin in determining the victors of the battle, and the course of the war. Their primary duty is to choose the bravest of those who have been slain, gathering the souls of dying heroes and great warriors found deserving of afterlife in Valhalla. If you are deemed unworthy by the Valkyrie to reside in the halls of Valhalla the goddess Hel will receive you after death. It is said that if you look at the Aurora Borealis you are watching light flicker off the brilliant armor of the Valkyrie.

The leader of the Valkyries is Brunhild, Freya or Freyja, goddess of love, fertility, and beauty, sometimes identified as the goddess of battle and death. Her father is Njord, a fertility god. Blond, blue-eyed, and beautiful. In many tales Freya travels in a chariot drawn by cats and resides in the celestial realm of Folkvang, where it was her privilege to receive first choice and half of all the warriors slain in battle. The god Odin received the other half at Valhalla. Freyja possessed a magical cloak of falcon feathers that allowed her to take the shape of a falcon if she wished, making the swan maidens similar to the goddess by having "feather coats" or cloaks that enable their shape-shifting abilities and the power of flight. In Germany, Freya was sometimes identified with Frigg, the wife of Odin. Friday originates from Frigga's day.

The name in Old Norse, valkyrja, means literally, "chooser of the slain." The Valkyrie is in the oldest tales of belief, a death goddess and represented by the raven. The Valkyrie is related to the Celtic warrior-goddess, the Morrigan, who likewise may assume the form of the raven. Midway between the third and eleventh centuries, the Valkyries began assuming a more benign aspect. Small amulets and pictures on memorial stones begin to depict the figure of the beautiful woman welcoming the deceased hero with a horn of mead to the afterlife.
Around this period in history the Valkyrie legend blended with the folklore of the swan maiden. If someone could capture and hold a swan maiden they could demand a wish from her. This is why Valkyries were sometimes known as swan or wish maidens.

Last edited by Eiregirl on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Cavewoman

thank you Eire for so clearly sharing that information... i don't have a snowball's chance in hell of remembering all of it... but its good to know for now...

got more?
(its nice to know from whence we came)

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:48 am 
desert-fish

actually quite an enchanting idea... Very Happy

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:05 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Cavewoman:
thank you Eire for so clearly sharing that information... i don't have a snowball's chance in hell of remembering all of it... but its good to know for now...

got more?
(its nice to know from whence we came)

Cave,

Thank you very much

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by pale mirage:

Pale,

Thank you for that enchanting reply...
ummm may I ask what the enchanting idea is? Smile

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:12 pm 
desert-fish

quote:
Originally posted by Eiregirl:
quote:

Pale,

Thank you for that enchanting reply...
ummm may I ask what the enchanting idea is? Smile

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

"the beautiful woman welcoming the deceased hero"

that they should receive a hero's welcome...

regards
pale

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:32 pm 
Eiregirl

Pale,

"the beautiful woman welcoming the deceased hero

that they should receive a hero's welcome..."

Ah yes…a hero’s welcome…and they will when Ragnarok comes take to the field on the plains of Vigrid to do battle one last time when Heimdall sounds his horn

Thank you very much
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:26 pm 
desert-fish

!

quote:
Pale,

Ah yes…a hero’s welcome…and they will when Ragnarok comes take to the field on the plains of Vigrid to do battle one last time when Heimdall sounds his horn

Thank you very much
Eiregirl Arrow

you are a veritable mine/mind of infomation
pale is blown over...
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:44 pm 
SensualSilverPearl

Cool topic Eire..... I have not read about them in a long time so this inspired me to read again. There is so much info here I know I will be reading this again. next time I see the Northern Lights I will have a different view point.

There is some comfort I think in not dieing alone and having a better place to go. Probably not the intent but I get some comfort from that idea. But another thought occurs that to be a hero in battle one has to fight harder, better and not give up. Sometimes that can lead to arrogance and not letting go. But at the end of the day I would like to say that I faced my battles as a hero and not a coward.

Also warrior women rock. lol

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:04 pm 
Eiregirl

Re: !

quote:
quote:
Pale,

Thank you very much
Eiregirl Arrow

you are a veritable mine/mind of infomation
pale is blown over...
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pale,
Embarassed thank you very much for such a sweet reply

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:11 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by SensualSilverPearl:
Cool topic Eire..... I have not read about them in a long time so this inspired me to read again. There is so much info here I know I will be reading this again. next time I see the Northern Lights I will have a different view point.

There is some comfort I think in not dieing alone and having a better place to go. Probably not the intent but I get some comfort from that idea. But another thought occurs that to be a hero in battle one has to fight harder, better and not give up. Sometimes that can lead to arrogance and not letting go. But at the end of the day I would like to say that I faced my battles as a hero and not a coward.

Also warrior women rock. lol

Sensual,

This is a wonderful reply and everything you said is very true. At the end of the day being able to say that we have faced all that stood in our way is a very good thing to be able to do.

Thank you,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:15 am 
DarkChyldesKiss
Site Admin

Eire,

Absolutely shiny! I've always been a huge reader of mythology and legends so reading this was like visiting an old friend!

Hugs

Jan

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:43 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: