BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Temple of Artemis

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Temple of Artemis

Built around 550BC it was said to have been the most beautiful structure on earth...It was built in honor of the Greek goddess of hunting, nature, fertility and childbirth some even call her the Goddess of the Moon. Built in the ancient city of Ephesus near the modern day town of Selcuk. The temple was funded by the King of Lydia with the main purpose being the worship of Artemis with a secondary purpose being a marketplace. The King commissioned the architect Chersiphron for the design and building of the temple. The building was made of marble and had a decorated facade that overlooked a spacious courtyard. Marble steps surrounding the buildings platform led to the high terrace that was approximately 80 meters by 130 meters. The columns all…127 of them aligned orthogonally over the platform area were 20 meters high with Ionic capitals and carved circular sides. The building was adorned with golden pillars and silver statues and within were four bronze statues of amazons. All done by the finest artists, sculptors and craftsmen of the time. In the center of the temple stood a marble statue of Artemis adorned with ivory and gold. In 356BC the building burned only to be rebuilt about 25 years later. Then in 262AD it was again destroyed but this time by invading Goths and now…just over 1700 years later there are attempts being made to rebuild it yet again but only a few columns have been erected thus far. The temple served as both a marketplace and a religious institution and in recent excavations many artifacts have been uncovered…statuettes made of gold and ivory... earrings, bracelets, and necklaces... artifacts from as far as Persia and India.

The real beauty would have been in the exquisite artistic and architectural details that were so brilliantly done but most of those details are forever lost. There are only slight hints of intricate artwork that adorned the building that remains. With all those details being unknown, how could anyone say it was the most beautiful structure on earth? Because at the time that is what everyone who saw it said. The Temple of Artemis…the most beautiful building on earth. Who are we to argue with those that saw it?

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Cavewoman

Eire... thank you again for an interesting lesson..

a question?
(i already tried googling and wikipedia'ng this and don't get it)....

what does orthogonal architecture look like?

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:43 am 

quote:
Originally posted by Cavewoman:

a question?

Cave,
Thanks for reading these... Smile
Thank you very much...hugs you tight.

Orthogonal is having perpendicular slopes or tangents at a point of intersection. Basically it means that the Temple is (was) composed of a lot of right angles and curving right angles. Without getting into a bit of geometry and mathematical explanations that is the simplest answer I can give you.

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:45 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Cavewoman:

a question?

Cave,
Thanks for reading these... Smile
Thank you very much...hugs you tight.

Orthogonal is having perpendicular slopes or tangents at a point of intersection. Basically it means that the Temple is (was) composed of a lot of right angles. Without getting into a bit of geometry and mathematical explanations that is the simplest answer I can give you.

Here are some pictures of the temple that may help some.

http://www.billmunnsgallery.com/images/SWGTDE1.jpg

http://www.billmunnsgallery.com/images/SWGTDE2.jpg

http://www.billmunnsgallery.com/images/SWGTDE3.jpg

http://thanasis.com/artem2r.jpg

http://online.mq.edu.au/pub/ACANSCAE/chapters/images/ch09_01.jpg

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: