BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Coming Out....

LGBT Educators/Teachers...what do you think?

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
chordphrute

LGBT Educators/Teachers...what do you think?

Hey folks Smile

Are any of you ladies teachers..K-12? If not, do you know any K-12 teachers who happen to be gay? How do you/they handle their level of 'outness' or lack thereof? Or... if you don't know of any LGBT teachers including yourself, how do you think you would react to all the politics involved with being a lesbian and a public school teacher?

(Graduation is coming soon...i.e. teaching...getting nervous...etc)

danielle

Post Mon May 08, 2006 5:36 am 
Cavewoman

my sister in law has been a 9-12 grade physical education, driver's ed and health teacher at the same school for 24 years.... she doesn't make an issue of being gay ... very few of her peers have any trouble with her being gay ... nearly every year though, there has been a group of students who seem to take offense with her lesbianism and make a point of trying to vandalize her home - one year they dumped a deer head in the wishing well, another year they broke out the back window of her truck... etc. Some of the parents over time have wanted to take issue but the district has always defended and supported her. So it seems that while she hasn't bothered to make her sexuality a billboard event, nearly every year somebody else always has. How do they know they she's gay?... well, she's one of those "butchy" gals that stands out in the crowd, very athletic, very tall, loud voice and she doesn't deny it when the finger is pointed. She has also been president of the teacher's union for the last 10 years in her district.
Dunno if that helped .... just be yourself.

Post Mon May 08, 2006 6:00 am 
Jules

Although I don't personally know any "out" teachers, I did have a few when I was growing up. Never seemed to be an issue to me or any of the kids I went to school with.
Now, as a mother I can tell you that it doesn't bother me in the least. My daughter has "out" men and women who help her everyday (teachers, PT, PE, etc) I am very grateful to everyone that has helped her come as far as she has.
Personally, I think it would depend a great deal on your location. Best of luck to you. I wouldn't give it too much thought. The lives you will touch and the children you will help far outweigh the opinions of a few ignorant people...
Jules

Post Mon May 08, 2006 12:10 pm 
Lizzy_tish

I am not a teacher for the public school system, but I am a pre-school teacher in a conservative suburb. All of my co-workers know that I am a lesbian, and I don't try to hide it from anyone. I am who I am. I often run into my students and their parents all around town. My partner is very butch so when I introduce her to the parents as my partner the response has always been good. I also have two young boys age 11 and 7 and we all go out together and are in genral treated with respect buy the people in our community. I have yet to run into anyone that has been unkind to me, or my family because of my sexual orientation. I am sure at some point I will,as my partner has when she has been out by herself with out the boys and I. I am not sure if I just have gotten really lucky so far, or maybe the people I am around are just alot more accepting of diversity.My advice is be who you are and do the best job you can so you can be judged on your teaching verses your sexuality.

Post Mon May 08, 2006 4:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
katla12

LBGT Educators

I know quite a few Lesbian as well as Gay teachers. I have had a few in High School also. None are out or were out I should say. In High School we knew who was of course, but none of us cared. Even in Los Angeles they are still afraid to "come out" It is a shame but they fear of losing there jobs. Uneducation of the "Parent's" is what theproblem is.

Post Tue May 09, 2006 4:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: