BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Coming Out....

How'd ya do it?

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
chordphrute

How'd ya do it?

So the time has come that I need to come out to my sister (none of my family knows. It's not that I haven't told them or have kept it from them - they've never asked and straight people don't go around saying they're straight so I never saw the point)

She is coming to visit - next week er the week after (22nd) - flying 1687 miles to come see me for five days. Obviously this poses an issue - my bedroom - two women, my gf of a bajillion years (the family is either extremely naive or stupid) .. one queen sized canopy bed. cant get around that. I just dont want to walk on eggshells about it when she gets here and she's never asked. I don't want to make things uncomfortable for her.

She knows I have a gay-male roommate so I guess that helps. She's not the kind to freak. I have a pin that says "My sister's a lesbian and all I got is this lousy pin" but i respect her a little too much to just pin that on her when she steps off the plane.

She's my older sister - 32, married, 12 yr old son.

Anyways - so I'm curious..... how'd you come out to family, specifically siblings?

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:09 am 
RedViolin1

Chord why not act like your life is completely natural to you and just the way it is. It's your place, its your turf. Smile and simply answer questions if your sis has any. I think we get so bogged down in what everyone else thinks that we forget that what we do and who we love counts just as much as their life counts.

The sooner we start acting like its a good thing to be in love with a womon, the sooner others might just decide to accept it. and if they dont, its their loss. Be understanding and just smile, as we gay womyn aren't normal or average, we are EXCEPTIONAL (thanks Mairi for this insight... it has changed my whole way of thinking)

Some say the glass is half full, some say it's half empty. I drink whats left and ask for a refill!

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
smallapple

very well said i need to do this a lot more too. just get on with what i need to do instead of worrying about what everyone else will think. such a waste of time. if she does not understand then dont bring it up again. if she has a problem with it, it will be her problem to deal with. do what you have to do.

Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:38 am 
Dueceswild

how I did it...

My sister and I are very close, infact she was the first person I came out to, and that was a big shock to her because I was married to a man at the time (even thou we had seperated a few months earlier)... We were riding in the car one day and I simply said something to the effect of "so I've been seeing someone for a while now, and I'm really happy" she then in turn asked about her and I described her.... after picking her jaw up off the floorboard or my car she started laughing and said she was glad I had found someone to make me truely happy and that I had finally found myself. From that point on she has been my biggest straight supporter, and has joined PFLAG!

Hope that helps,
D

Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:44 pm 
Cavewoman

My sister was the first person i told.... we were both in our early 20s, I'd been with my first love for about a year... I was a nervous wreck when she came to the states to visit me after a two year absence. I just flat out told her, after about the first good glug of a cold beer. She laughed and called me silly. Said she always knew I was lesbian and wondered what had taken me sooooo long to figure it out... Every member of my family reacted pretty much the same way. (other than mom of course, but my mom is "out there" with most any subject matter). Just tell her. She probably already suspects and would be much more comfortable if all the cards and conversations and questions and celebrations and pictures and stories were already on the table.

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:33 am 
bellaO

When you show your sis around the house, show her your big bed and say, "this is my and so and so's room..." then look at her cockeyed and continue, "did I ever mention I'm gay?"

She'll say, "what?"

"Oh, sorry... yes, gay... queer... lesbian... lesbo... dyke... carpet muncher... clam bumper... you name it, I'm that... always have been.

So, how have you been?"

Very Happy

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:18 pm 
SWAY

The first person I told, was my college roomate, who I was living with at the time. Little did I know that I was in love with her, just didnt want to admit it. So, one day, I asked her, Do you think I could be gay? She said, I suppose you could be, but you're not, are you? And my reply was, I think maybe I am. So just drop it like its hot chica....

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:34 am 
Greenshadow

I don't even really remember when I came out to my older sister. It wasn't a big deal at all.

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: