BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Jade (Rough Chapter One)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Jade (Rough Chapter One)

Chapter One

Jade stopped at the top of the pass that would take her across the Bluetooth Mountains and into the Alarian Forest. The forest her people thought was only legend. The legend was now in front of her as she stared down at the green canopy below, she turned and looked back at her own forest. It was the first time she had ever seen the expanse of it. Jade had never known until now how large her home was.
It was frightening for her, going into the unknown, but her people needed help to fight an ancient enemy that was again after thousands of years threatening the clan’s very survival. Jade, along with others had been sent to find that help. Now that she was about to enter the legendary forest she smiled and thought about the lady that had walked into her camp two days ago and told her that she could find the help needed to defeat the Anid on the other side of the Bluetooth Mountains. Jade had laughed at her then, and told her that there was no way to cross the mountains. Only to be told that the Earth Mother would prepare a pass for her if she would agree that once she had the help needed to defeat the Anid, she would find Kerrah's stone and destroy Kerrah. Jade had agreed that if there was a way to cross the mountains that she would do as the Earth Mother asked. Now Jade turned to look one last time at her home before descending to the Alarian Forest. As she turned a bright light appeared in front of her, and a lady stepped from the light.
"The way was prepared for you as promised. There is where you will find the help you need to once again defeat the Anid, and do not forget your promise to find the stone and to destroy the one who made it.” The lady said in a voice that was soft and sweet, but the tone of authority could be heard.
"I-I will not forget.” Jade said, surprised by the sudden appearance of the Earth Mother but unsure if she could do it.
"See that you do not.” The Earth Mother said, then disappeared. Jade stared at the spot where the lady had stood, then looked back at her home forest before venturing into the unknown.
As Jade descended the pass and began entering the foothills she noticed that the Alarian Forest was much like her own. She looked around and breathed in the scent of pine and smiled. She liked the smell of pine trees and the sound the wind made as it blew through the tall branches. Jade ran on, never wavering from her pace. She saw a small stream ahead of her and decided to stop for a midday snack of dried fruit that she kept in the trail pouch next to her belt knife. Jade jumped the stream in one long stride. Landing on the other side she tripped on an unseen root. A sharp pain speared through her head as darkness overcame her. A light flickered and disappeared into the forest.

XXXXXXXXXX

As Renee Runningwater was walking home from her dance studio she decided to take a shortcut through an alley. As she walked through the alley thinking of what she would cook when she got home she heard a noise behind her that sent chills running down her spine; turning, she saw a cat climbing out of a dumpster. She breathed a sigh of relief and realized she had held her breath. When she turned back to continue on home, a strange glow appeared in front of her. Surprised by the sight, Renee never saw the milk crate that sent her careening to the ground.

XXXXXXXXXX

It was getting dark and Willow was running as fast as she could. The rain was soaking the ground and slowing her progress. She knew there was a cave nearby where she could camp for the night and stay dry. As she splashed across a stream a bright flash of lightning revealed a body lying in her path. Willow stopped and knelt down to examine the body closely and then looked around to see if there was anyone else near and saw no one. Turning the body over she noted that the features were that of an Elf.
"An Elvin lady from your looks.” Willow mumbled, "and a live one at that."
After trying unsuccessfully to rouse the unconscious woman, not wanting to leave her to drown in the swelling waters of the stream. Willow half carried, half drug her to the nearby cave. Once in the cave she tried again to wake the woman, without success. She noticed a bruise on the woman’s forehead as tried to make her comfortable.
"That must have been one mighty good whack on the head you took.” Willow said, as she set to building a fire. Once she had a nice fire going she made a torch and held it so she could get a better look at the woman she drug into the cave.
"You will catch your death in those wet cloths, so I might as well get you out of them.” Willow said as she began removing the woman's wet clothing and wrapping her in a dry bedroll.
"There, now how's that? Are you comfortable? Good, I hate talking to myself so I might as well talk to you...Is there anything else you would like? A fire you say? Well, I think I have already taken care of that. I left some dry wood the last time I was here.” Willow said as she put the flint stone back in her pouch. Looking over at her unconscious companion she asked, "Are you hungry? No…well I am. All I have is some dried meat and a few berries, but it will do until morning, then I'll go out and gather a few things to make a stew."
As Willow ate she looked at the woman and wondered curiously who she might be.

XXXXXXXXXX

The last thing Jade remembered was a sharp pain in her head. It was also the first thing she felt as she opened her eyes and slowly looked around.
"I see you are awake, that's good. I was beginning to wonder if you were going to wake up at all." Willow said, when she saw the stranger was awake.
"Who are you...where am I?" Jade asked, then after getting a better look at Willow she added, "and what are you?"
Willow gave Jade an odd look then replied, "Willow, a cave in the Alarian Forest, and I am a procurer of goods. Who are you?"
"I did not mean, what do you do? I meant what are you?"
Jade said as she indicated Willows pointed elfish ears.
"I'm an Elf, now who are you?" Willow asked again as she cautiously approached Jade who was still laying in the bedroll.
Jade started to reply then stopped. She could not remember who she was. She looked at Willow trying hard to remember, and said in a low voice, "I'm...I'm…I don't know, I don't know."
Jade started to sit up but the pounding in her head made her quickly decided to lie back down.
"Here.” Willow said handing Jade a cup of hot tea, "It's a herb tea, it will help with the pain."
"Thank you.” Jade said as she took the cup from Willow.
"I learned the recipe from a healer in my clan.” Willow said as she sat cross-legged beside Jade.
"Your tunic and britches were wet so I hung them by the fire to dry.” Willow told Jade.
"Thank you.” Jade said as she slowly sat up to drink the tea. She sat the cup down and looked up at Willow.
"Do you know who I am?"
"I'm sorry…never seen you before, and if I had,
I would definitely remember you because of your eyes."
"My eyes?" Jade asked.
"Your eyes are green, and here in the forest I do not believe there has been a green-eyed Elf in ten thousand years. It is said only a favored of the Earth Mother has green eyes.”
Jade looked at Willow for a moment, then asked,
"Am I an Elf?"
"You appear to be, with your pointed ears and all.” Willow replied.
"Did you bring me here?" Jade asked looking around the cave.
"To the cave, yes. I was on my way back to my clan when it started raining and decided to come here where it would be dry. That's when I found you, face down in the mud.” Willow said as Jade laid back down.
"Thank you for helping me.” Jade said as she slid back into the bedroll. Closing her eyes she was quickly asleep.
As the sun shown through the cave entrance Willow sat watching the stranger and could not help but feel that this stranger was a bearer of bad news. Willow watched and wondered for a while. [Who is this woman? Where did she come from and why is she here?] The thoughts ran through Willows mind as she walked to the stream hoping to find some clues that might tell her who the stranger was or where she may have came from but it was useless the rain from the night before had washed anything away that could have answered her questions. She looked around for a while then went back to the cave where she found her guest, still sleeping.
Willow sat by the fire stirring her stew when a feeling came over her…a feeling that she was being watched. She turned and looked over at her guest, who was staring at her.
"Are you feeling any better?" Willow asked with a smile.
"Yes thank you. That smells good."
"Would you like some?" Willow asked, still smiling.
"Please.” Jade replied.
Willow took a small bowl and spoon from her pack. She filled the bowl and handed it to Jade.
"Thank you.” Jade said as she accepted the bowl from Willow.
"Have you remembered anything yet?" Willow asked.
"No, not even my name.” Jade replied frustrated at not being able to remember.
"What should I call you then?" Willow asked.
"I don't know.” Jade replied, staring absently at the cave floor.
"How about if I call you Emerald? The name fits the color of you eyes."
"It is better than no name at all.” Jade replied.
Willow sat quietly for a moment then said, "It has stopped raining and I have to go, you are more than welcome to come with me if you think your able enough to travel. There is a healer in my clan that might be able to help you."
[I don't know her, but she is willing to help, and I don't even know who or where I am,] Jade thought to herself.
"I think I can make it fine. I'll go with you.” Jade told her.
"Good, finish your stew and we'll go.” Willow said with a smile.
Jade finished her stew and got dressed, while Willow put out the fire and packed. The sun was at its zenith when they left the cave, running at a fast jog. Willow did not want to push the stranger to hard until she was certain she could keep up the pace.
"Where are we going exactly?" Jade asked.
"Stillwater Lake, where my clan is.” Willow replied.
"How long will it take?" Jade asked with a strange feeling that she was pressed for time.
"Ten to twelve days.” Willow answered.

Near dark three days later, Willow and Jade were running through the trees. Willow had quickened the pace after the first day once she knew Jade was able to keep up. She looked back to see how her companion was faring, and when she turned back to see where she was going she saw a tree in front of her that had fallen across the trail. Willow quickly jumped the tree, but when she landed on the other side her foot got caught in a hole. She cried out in pain as she felt her leg snap just below the knee.
"What's wrong?" Jade said after hearing Willow scream.
Gritted her teeth and holding her leg, Willow replied, "I think it's broken."
"Let me look at it.” Jade said as she knelt on the ground beside Willow and eased her leg from the hole.
Jade took a knife from her belt and split Willows britches up to the knee.
"It feels like a clean break.” Jade said, gently feeling the area below Willows knee. Still with her hands on Willows leg, a gentle calm flowed through Jade and a faint green glow appeared around her hands. The green glow then slowly spread to surround Willows leg.
Willow felt a tingling in her leg as the pain faded. She raised her head and looked down at her leg. Willow could feel Jades hands resting gently on her leg and could see the faint green glow that surrounded her leg and Jades hands.
"Who are you?" Willow asked in wonderment but received no answer.
"Emerald, what are you doing?" Willow asked again.
"I don't know, I just placed my hands on your leg and they started glowing. I tried to pull them away, but I couldn't. I didn't hurt you did I?" Jade said trying to explain what had happened.
"No, you did not hurt me. You healed me."
Jade gave Willow a curious look,
"I don't understand how I could have healed you."
"Emerald, you must be a greenmage.” Willow said as she stood up and walked around, to test out Jades handy-work.
"What is a greenmage?" Jade asked, not understanding.
Willow could not believe that Jade did not know what a greenmage was.
"You mean that you do not know what a greenmage is? Nevermind…you have no memory” Willow said then thought for a moment on how best to explain.
"Earth Magic has many stages. There are those like me who can use it for the simple things that all elves can, then there are the blue and red mages who can control aspects of the magic and cast spells, then there are those like you who are said to be favored by the Earth Mother herself and can do much more."
"How can you tell the difference between the mages?" Jade asked.
"By the color of their magic, yours was green.” Willow answered.
“What things can…a greenmage do?”
“I don’t know. I have never seen one…until now and wouldn’t you know…she has no memory.” Willow replied then said, "It will be getting dark soon, and I know where a cave is nearby that we can camp in tonight."

While Willow slept, Jade laid awake trying desperately to remember her past. No matter how hard she tried she drew nothing but a blank. Eventually she fell into a dream filled sleep. Jade dreamed that she was sitting by a stream carving on a flute when she heard a scream from her nearby village. As she got up to run to the village her dream changed, now she was sitting on a stump near a stream of clear water. An old man walked up to her and said, "It's time to go Renee." She looked up at him with tear filled eyes. Again her dream changed and took her back to her village where her people were fighting against a band of outlanders she had never seen before. She saw one of the villagers trying to hold off three of the outlanders when a fourth raised a sword behind him. She instinctively raised her hand and screamed, "Father, NO!" As a green bolt of light streaked from her hand it engulf the outlander in fire. Her dream then took another turn and placed her in a tent. It was near dark and everyone was sitting around a fire. She could see the man she had called her father, he pointed at her and said, "Jade, you will go east and search that part of the forest, while Nightshade searches the West. Sparrow, you search the North and Dove will go south." Then she was kneeling by a grave covered with fresh dirt when she heard a voice calling to her, "Emerald, Emerald."
"Emerald, wake up.” Willow said, shaking Jades shoulder.
"Wake up Emerald! Or whoever you are.” Willow said, having been awakened by Jades scream.
"Are you okay?" Willow said after Jade opened her eyes and sat up.
"I'm fine, just a bad dream I guess.” Jade replied.
"What happened? You were screaming like something was trying to tear you apart.” Willow said.
Jade told Willow about what she had dreamed and what she thought the dreams might mean.
"Your dreams start off with your clan being under attack then it changes and you are sitting by a pool when a man calls you Renee?" Willow says wanting to be sure she heard Jade correctly.
"Yes, and he was different, and so was I.” Jade said.
"Different in what way?" Willow asked.
“He was old and wrinkled and his ears were rounded…he was not an Elf and neither was I.” Jade said softly as she thought about the dream.
"Sounds like a human…at least that is the name that comes to mind.” Willow replied, wrinkling her brow in thought.
"I don't know what to think about that, you don't look human.” Willow said with a slight smile.
"He called me Renee.” Jade said as she thought about that part of her dream.
"And in another part of your dream you were called Jade, does either of those names sound familiar?" Willow asked.
"Not really, but a little.” Jade said feeling as though she could almost remember something, but could not catch hold of it.
"Which one?" Willow asked.
"Both."
"Maybe this dream can tell us something about you, or maybe they were just dreams.” Willow said thoughtfully.
"Somehow I know it has something to do with me."
"I suppose it could, anyway it's nearly sunrise and we are already up so we might as well get an early start."

For the next few nights Jade had the same dream as before and woke up screaming.
"Emerald, are you okay? Was it the same dream?" Willow asked, suddenly awake.
"It…was...the...same.” Jade said gasping for air.
"Willow, it has got to mean something.” Jade told her.
"But what could your dream mean? We have been over it from beginning to end."
"But Willow, what if it is not a dream?" Jade said forcefully.
Willow gave Jade a questioning look and asked, "What do you mean?"
"I mean what if my dreams are actually, memories that I can not remember when I'm awake?" Jade replied earnestly.
"If what you are dreaming is real, then your people are fighting for their lives.” Willow said.
"And if I was sent for help or to find some, I don't even know where to send them.” Jade said helpless.
"When we get to my village I will take you to Wisp our healer. Maybe she can help you.” Willow told Jade.

Jade got to know Willow a little better as the days past by listening to her talk about her many adventures. Willow talked about being a procurer of goods in the human cities near the forest edge and a sometimes mercenary in the human armies. Even though Jade enjoyed listening to Willow's stories, she could not help feeling a little sad at not being able to tell any of her own. When they stopped for a meal of dried meat, and some fruit that Willow had gathered along the way, Jade asked, "How much farther is it to your clan?"
"Just another day maybe two.” Willow replied.
"Do you think your healer can help?"
"I don't know for certain, but I think she can.” Willow replied honestly.
"Is she a greenmage?" Jade asked, full of questions.
"No, remember I told you that there has not been a greenmage in these woods for thousands of years.” Willow replied as she took a sip of water and stood. "Are you still having the same dreams?" She asked Jade.
"No, I haven't had a dream in two nights.” Jade said as she stood.

By the time darkness had set in they were camped near a small stream. After setting up camp Willow went straight to her bedroll, and was asleep as soon as she closed her eyes. Jade however lay awake as she did every-night, trying hard to remember the tiniest thing from her past. As usual she remembered nothing. [Maybe I'm trying to hard,] she thought to herself as she closed her eyes and slipped into a dream filled sleep. In her dream she was walking toward an old man leaning against a tree. Before she could reach him the view in front of her changed. She was now standing in front of a mirror that ran the length of a wall. Jade stared at her reflection, but for some unknown reason the reflection did not seem to be her own. Her eyes were blue instead of green and as she brushed her long black hair back she noticed that her ears were not those of an Elf. As Jade looked at the reflection she got an eerie feeling that someone else was staring back. The next morning Jade told Willow what she had dreamed. Willow could see that the dreams worried and confused her newfound friend and while they tried to make sense of the dreams there were no answers to be found.

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Allison

Looks at Eire and pouts.......more plz? Wink

Alli

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
ghost

same as what alli asked, eire! and what a great twist... switched over personalities!

hurry up and post more! lol, you are on the other side now, we are allowed to nag for more here.... grin.

regards
ghost

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:43 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Allison:
Looks at Eire and pouts.......more plz? Wink

Alli

Ohhh you Wink

Wait 24 hours Very Happy

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
chordphrute

nice! Can't wait for more!

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:08 am 
Allison

Dear Eire....has it been 24 hours yet? I had to come this morning and read it again. I like it so much....plz hurry. Still pouting ;-(

Alli

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Mdm Prez

Eire

What's the word for 'better than great'? Still searching my thesaurus.

I'll be back for more.

Mdm Prez

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:07 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by ghost:
same as what alli asked, eire! and what a great twist... switched over personalities!

hurry up and post more! lol, you are on the other side now, we are allowed to nag for more here.... grin.

regards
ghost

ghost,

Thank you very much...are you ready for another twist?

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:30 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by chordphrute:
nice! Can't wait for more!

Chord...thank you for the reply...and your wait is over.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:31 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Allison:
Dear Eire....has it been 24 hours yet? I had to come this morning and read it again. I like it so much....plz hurry. Still pouting ;-(

Alli

Allison,

Rolls her eyes Rolling Eyes ok ok
Chapter two is ready for you.

Hugs you tight and thank you very much for enjoying my story.
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:34 pm 
Eiregirl

Re: Eire

quote:
Originally posted by Mdm Prez:
What's the word for 'better than great'? Still searching my thesaurus.

I'll be back for more.

Mdm Prez

Mdm,

You are being far to kind but I thank you very very much Smile

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:36 pm 
desert-fish

Intriguing...Looking forward to chapter two Very Happy

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:23 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by pale mirage:
Intriguing...Looking forward to chapter two Very Happy

Pale,

Thank you very much Very Happy

Hugs,
Eiregirl

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:36 pm 

Razz
::hug!::

are elves the same size as humans? and do they ever pierce their ears?
and what r my chances of dating an elf? Twisted Evil

Arrow cUpperoo

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:45 pm 
cupcakes

PS...^ that was me.

~cUppy

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:47 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: