BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Other

Soul Mates Copyright @ 2005

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Allison

Soul Mates Copyright @ 2005

It was a cool brisk evening and I was loping through the woods in search of my prey, a small rodent who would make an easy meal. I was enjoying the cool air as it circulated within me, cleansing my lungs carrying blood and oxygen to my muscles. The night was clear and a full moon lit a sky filled with brilliantly shining stars.

While trotting down a long used trail, my nostrils were bombarded with scents. The first was familiar, the smell of a campfire burning in the forest several hundred yards ahead, a smell common to the forest, but as a general rule, not this deep in the woods. The second scent was human, a female, and not an unpleasant scent. It was a clean, fresh, woodsy smell, unlike the scent of other female visitors who camped or lunched closer to the main park gates. I slowed my pace and followed the trail of this scent deeper into the woods into a clearing that housed an old rarely used ranger’s cabin. A small campfire was burning in a fire pit and sitting on a log was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen.

Her hair was a soft golden brown that glowed in the light of the fire. Creeping closer, I could see the warmth in her dark blue eyes as she sat staring into the fire. I sat back on my haunches hidden by an ancient oak and watched her, carefully scanning the site for additional movement. The lines of worry surrounding her face made her appear like her heart was burdened with years of pain and sorrow. She sat for hours pondering her thoughts until the flames died down and only embers remained in the pit. With careful silence, she stood, stretched and poured water onto the glowing embers, dowsing the fire for the evening. When she straightened, she looked in my direction and I felt her eyes piercing the night searching for me. I watched in continued silence as she turned toward the cabin and retired for the night. I sat guarding this beauty and watched as she blew out the lantern and slipped into the bed.

I moved in closer to the cabin, my lungs full of her tantalizing scent. I circled the cabin and was content that my visitor was traveling alone and was secured for the night before I silently padded away.

I ran through the woods for hours enjoying the exertion and feel of the breeze blowing through my course coat. A feeling of excitement coursed through me as I pondered questions regarding the visitor, who was she, what was she doing and how long would she be staying deep in these woods? As the sun slowly began creeping above the horizon, I reached my home and walked slowly to the back of the cave, curling into a tight ball before drifting into a dream filled sleep, with my thoughts still focused on the new arrival.

Later that morning after a brief rest, I woke to pangs of hunger. I stretched stiff muscles and began a search for food. My search did not take long as I jumped a rabbit in its slumber and it quickly found itself a prisoner between my strong jaws. The end was quick and as painless as I could make possible. Her sacrifice allowed me to continue another day.

My thoughts led me back to the old Rangers station and to the newest guest of the forest. I approached the cabin slowly and watched as she circled following my paw prints from the previous night, looking intently into the woods. Certain she could not see me; I quietly observed her as she gathered supplies into a backpack and headed toward the northernmost trail.

Curious, I followed from a distance as she climbed the rugged trail toward Jackson’s Peak, the highest point in the park and a natural observation point for many miles. I watched as she climbed a pillar of rock and reached into the backpack for a pair of binoculars and a notepad. She sat on the rock and patiently began searching for her prey. It only took a few moments before she located a red tailed hawk and followed it as it soared above the canopy of the forest. She trailed the hawk as it dove beneath the curtain of the trees, pouncing on a small rodent, pausing to clasp it in her strong talons before lifting once again in flight above the trees. She continued tracking the graceful bird until it came to rest at its nest cradled among boulders on a distance rock face.

As the bird dropped the rodent into the nest to her waiting young, our visitor reached into her pack to pull out a meal of her own. My mouth watered as she opened the sandwich. I could smell the spices in the meat wafting across the breeze toward me and I began to miss the seasonings used in human foods. I watched as she hungrily attacked the food and drank sparingly from the canteen of cool water resting at her side, her eyes dancing across the beauty of the valley below.

So many of the mannerisms she displayed reminded me of my beloved Ki. Ki and I had been raised together as pups and young humans. Her golden coat and piercing blue eyes tantalized me from my first memory. Together we grew into adults and bonded together as lifelong mates. We practiced the art of changing until it became an easy task for us both and practiced loving in both animal and human form. We would frequently change into human form, but much preferred to run freely with our wolf pack family. We spent many years together loving each other, sharing every moment and thought with the other.

To my great despair, one fall Ki started to falter as we ran through the forest in search of prey, lagging behind the pack and finding a greater need for rest. I slowly watched as my love succumbed to the wasting disease and drifted farther and farther from me. Soon after that, she was unable to join the hunt and I would bring her small prey in an effort to maintain her strength. I would watch in heartbroken silence as Ki would nibble at the food, but was unable to tolerate anything in her stomach.

Near mid winter, she woke me one night having already changed to woman form and asked me to change also. Ki knew that her time was near and wanted to be held in my arms one last night. I took her in my arms, smoothing the hair that was wet from the burning of her fever and held her close to me. Words were not necessary as the love and pain we shared were communicated with the locking of eyes. I held my love, her body shivering with chills until she fell into a deep restless sleep. I could feel her body expanding and contracting slowly with each labored breath until finally there was no more. I looked into her face to see the most beautiful woman smile I had ever seen and then her body began to change. I lay next to her until the sun came up, stroking the softness of her fur, tears flowing down my cheeks. When the pack awoke, I lifted Ki and carried her into the trees to a favored spot and buried her body, marking her grave with several large stones.

After changing, I climbed to the highest bluff and began my song of mourning, lifting my voice to the wind. The howling that escaped my soul told all in the forest how tormented I was by my loss, the haunting sound echoing throughout the valley. My body sat for hours on the bluff as my mind replayed the memories of our youth and the love we had shared together. Finally at sunset, I climbed back down to the forest floor and ran for hours, aimlessly through the trees trying to expel the ache that had taken over my body.

That night had been six years ago and had been the last time I had taken on woman form, choosing to live the remainder of my life in wolf form.

When the spring finally arrived, the pack decided it was time to move deeper in the woods in search of better hunting. It was then that I decided to remain in the woods where my beloved Ki now rested. As each pack member passed me they stopped to rub muzzles one last time and as the last wolf joined the pack, each lifted their hearts in a song of farewell.

Alone I wandered the forest each day, my heart mending a little more as spring was in full bloom. Trees and flowers were vibrant with new growth and youngsters of all species were abundant in the forest. Each morning began with a visit to Ki before I began my rounds through the forest. It was during this period that I began visiting the north ranger cabin, keeping a watchful eye on the humans who seldom ventured this deep into the woods. Until now, all the past visitors had been men and my heart welcomed the familiar woman scent of this new visitor. Something about it was so tantalizing that I longed to fill my lungs with the aroma.

I watched each day as she trekked further and further into the woods searching out her prey. Each day she would track the many red tailed hawks that lived and hunted the valleys. At times she would track them with her binoculars and more recently she had begun to photograph the magnificent flyers.

At night, she would prepare a simple meal, finish her chores and spend the final hours of her day sitting by the campfire. I could sense her loneliness as she sat for hours sipping coffee and staring into the fire. Many times she seemed to sense my presence and would search the tree line for me.

She knew of me, having seen my tracks on many occasions, but had yet to catch a glimpse of me. On one full moon night, I silently crept to the edge of the shadows created by her campfire. I sat there watching for a half hour before she glanced up and saw me. She was unafraid as she stared back at me across the fire, her eyes piercing through to my soul. She was roasting meat on the fire, the smell making my mouth water and I licked my lips, tasting the heartiness of the meat in my imagination. Together we sat, sharing the beauty of the night in unbroken silence.

After a short while, she removed a sharp knife from its sheath and reached forward to slice a small portion of the meat to test its doneness and flavor. She raised the meat to her mouth, blowing on it to cool it enough to bite into. She moaned aloud as she bit into the meat, juices exploding the flavor into her mouth. Looking directly at me, she offered the meat, my lips were smacking and my muscles were quivering in restraint. I hesitated to move forward, my sense of caution still strong and she gently tossed the morsel towards me. With a quick step forward, I caught the meat in my mouth and turned, trotting back toward the woods. She laughed, a hearty, warm sound, as she witnessed my bashfulness and spoke directly to me for the first time. With a voice that was both strong and gentle she said “welcome, my protector, come share this feast”.

Had I still been a member of a wolf pack, I would have been chastised for accepting a human handout, but I sensed something more than human in this woman and I once again crept near the fire. She welcomed me back, slicing another portion of the meat, tossing it in my direction. She was content with our distance and made no effort to coax me closer. I enjoyed the sensations of the flavors as they burst across my taste buds, while savoring the warm juices filling my mouth. She continued to nibble on the small pieces she trimmed off the roasting meat and tossed me several larger portions, filling my belly with the tasty feast.

I sat and watched as she stood, removing the meat from the spit above the flame and carried it into the cabin. Unlike canines, humans cannot survive on meat alone and aromas of vegetables cooking escaped the cabin as she opened the door. I watched as she busily prepared her meal and sat alone at a small table to enjoy the food. When she had finished dining and had picked up the kitchen, she returned to the fire, steaming mug of coffee in hand. She smiled when she saw I was still at the edge of the fire and sat down on the log. With a deep sigh, she spoke aloud again saying “dark wolf if only you could talk and share this lonely night with me”. Unbeknownst to my visitor, a smile was playing on my face as I began to formulate a plan to soon make her wish come true. We spent the remainder of the evening watching each other in silence, the gears of my mind churning with excitement. I watched until she was safely housed for the evening and turned toward home.

That night, I dreamed of Ki. We were sitting on a high knoll deep in the forest, like we had so many times when she was alive, buried in conversation. In this dream Ki told me that I had mourned her passing long enough and it was now time for me to begin loving again. In this dream, or perhaps in my reality, I licked Ki’s muzzle and curled up around her body falling into a deep, blissful sleep.

The next morning I awoke with an incredible feeling of being alive as if somehow a burden had been released from my body as I slept. Instead of my now normal routine of trotting off to the cabin to follow the visitor on her day’s expedition, I walked to the stream for a drink of the cool water. I sat next to the slow moving stream and began concentrating on the gentle movement, allowing my mind to focus internally. For a brief moment I was fearful that I had forgotten how to change, shifting forms from wolf to human, and then I felt my body begin the familiar act of stretching. With a slight ache, my body changed and when the transformation was complete I opened my eyes to stare down into the pool at my reflection. I was startled by the figure that was staring back at me. The hair that had once been a raven black was now streaked with snowy white strands and there seemed many more wrinkles around the golden yellow eyes as they glittered with excitement.

Unknown, but for the magic of the change, I always transform fully clothed, in jeans, a soft shirt and boots. I rise to my feet and begin stretching human muscles, practicing movements unused now for so many years. I open my mouth and utter a weak hello, startled by the sound of my voice. I clear my throat and begin speaking in stronger and stronger tones as I begin to pace the banks of the stream. After several hours of practicing human form again I change back into the comfort of my canine self and run freely through the woods to pick up the scent of the visitor. It did not take long to pick up her scent as I had become familiar with her routines and knew the general area she would be located on this day.

As each day passed, she trekked closer and closer to the rock ledges that housed the beautiful birds of prey she was studying. As I followed her scent, an internal alarm went off as I was not the only creature now tracking this beauty. My nostrils had picked up a sent of a puma that had begun to follow the trail of the visitor and I immediately broke into a run, praying that I wasn’t too late to curb any trouble this young cat wanted to create. As I neared the rock face, the trails split into two directions and I instinctively followed the woman to insure that she was in fact safe from harm, relaxing only when I saw her perched on the ledge of a large boulder, snapping pictures unaware of the danger stalking her.

I moved back up the trail, picking up the scent of the cat and followed it to another rocky perch, where the big cat was hunched down eyeing its prey. We were not unfamiliar with each other having tangled previously on an occasion or two and when my growl rose from the pit of my stomach, the cat turned immediately to face me, a wicked hiss spat in my direction. I began stalking towards him, shackles raised high above my spine, my growl growing more fearsome with each step. He started backing away from my approach, swatting those huge, sharp paws as he back peddled away. I dodged his efforts and made a lunge of my own reminding him of how quick and how sharp my jaws could be. He screamed, an ear piercing sound as my teeth made contact and turned running quickly for the safety of the forest.

The visitor had turned in our direction during the commotion and had watched the encounter end as quickly as it had begun. With a sense of pride and accomplishment I sat at the edge of the rock and felt a warm rush on my cheek. I had received a shallow cut inflicted during the encounter with the cat and quickly stopped the bleeding with pressure from a paw. The woman noted my wound with a look of concern, but did not make any efforts to approach me with assistance. Apparently, having had enough excitement for one day she decided to pack her tools and start the journey for home.

As she started up the trail for home, she stopped turning to look to see if I was following, and with her pause I instinctively stopped, keeping our mutual safe distance. With a smile, she turned and resumed her journey up the trail and I obediently followed her until we approached the clearing that opened to reveal the ranger’s cabin. At this point, I halted and watched until the visitor was safely within the cabin walls. The brush with the puma had been a close call and I would have to be more diligent in the future to prevent another episode from occurring. With the knowledge she was safely at home I turned and trotted toward home.

I stopped to visit Ki and sat to watch the sun setting, something we had done together a thousand times. My heart began to ache as I thought of my beloved and how badly I missed her. With a heavy heart, I walked the rest of the way home.

The moon started to rise and I could smell the now familiar burning of the campfire coming from the ranger’s cabin, as the cool breeze blew it in my direction. Since sunset, I had paced back and forth inside the cave, second- guessing myself and at one point almost backing away from my decision. With a determined spirit, I quickly changed and began the short walk to the ranger’s cabin in search of companionship.

When I arrived at the clearing, I stopped and leaned next to the ancient oak that had become my resting spot for so many nights now as I watched the lovely visitor. I was not disappointed to find her sitting relaxed on the log by the fire sipping her steaming cup of coffee.

With a deep sigh, I stepped from the concealment and began walking toward the fire. I had walked half the distance before she glanced upward and saw my approach. She seemed very surprised to see another human, but did not appear apprehensive as I continued to approach. Her blue eyes glittered with the anticipation of visiting with another human, especially one of female gender and she warmly welcomed me with her eyes.

With a voice shaking from a lack of use, I spoke a greeting and introduced myself as Kara as I continued moving towards her. She stood as I approached and said that her name was Lauren, before inviting me to join her by the fire. She asked if I would care for a cup of coffee that I gladly accepted. With a smile she turned toward the cabin and returned after a minute with another mug of the steamy liquid, reaching forward to hand it to me. Our hands grazed each other as she handed the mug to me and I felt a surge of warmth pass through me.

Together we sat on the log and Lauren asked me what I was doing so deep in the woods and I said, “I sometimes do some research for the Department of Natural Resources” and was presently on a much-needed vacation. This I figured wasn’t a total non-truth as I do study the other inhabitants of the forest as I complete my daily rounds. Lauren said, “I am a freelance photographer, currently on assignment from a popular outdoor magazine to complete a work on red tailed hawks”. With a growing smile, “I said, well you certainly came to a great spot for hawks, as there was a large population which still inhabited the valley”.

I noticed she kept staring at me, especially at my eyes, which I guess for a human were of a rather unique color. After several more minutes, she said that there was something very familiar about me and she wondered if we had met before. I told her that I didn’t believe we had met but maybe had crossed paths in the forest once or twice. Lauren asked me how long I had been in the forest and I told her I had been living here off and on for many years.

She was a very curious creature and her intuition kept her headed in the right direction as she leaned forward and traced the line of my jaw with her fingertips, down to the small cut I had received earlier in the day with the puma. She inquired what had happened and I told her that I had a small run in with one of the locals and left it at that. Seeing me wince slightly under her touch, she stood and walked back to the cabin. When she returned, she was carrying a small first aid kit and busily began administering a cleansing agent to my skin, which burned slightly. Her touch was very soft and gentle as she cleaned the wound, applying a cream to help speed the healing process. I watched her very closely as she tended the wound and when she finished our eyes met and locked for a moment. During that moment, her mind began to put pieces together and she asked if she had seen me earlier in the day and I admitted to her that “yes, we had crossed paths earlier in the day”. I could see the recognition as it washed over her and she made the connection of the black and silver coat and the burning golden yellow eyes, to the woman now standing in front of her. I felt her weaken as the realization of her thoughts rushed through her and caught her by the shoulders, easing her down to sit on the log. She sat for a moment to clear her head of the faintness that had overwhelmed her, the silence hanging thickly in the air between us.

When she had recovered enough to speak, she looked at me and asked who I really was. I looked her directly in the eyes and said, “As I told you earlier my name is Kara”, but I also added this time that I was the remaining shape changer now living in the forest. She looked at me with startled eyes and said “I thought shape changers were only something in legends, passed down from generation to generation by Native American tribes”. With a reassuring smile, I told her “we are a legendary breed, one that seldom chooses to make contact with humans, but that we are very much a reality”. When she could once again speak, she asked if I was the black wolf who had been visiting her since her arrival and who had spared her from the attack of the puma today. With a silent nod, I said, “yes, the black wolf and I are one in the same”. Lauren muttered a “thank you” and was again suddenly overwhelmed with the thoughts crashing through her confused mind and chose this moment to pass out. I was barely able to catch her before she hit the ground, lifting her up into my arms and carrying her to the cabin, where I placed her gently on the bed, removing her boots and covering her fully clothed body. I sat beside her on the bed, listening to her gentle breathing, as it grew deeper and deeper as she drifted into slumber. I crept quietly from the cabin and dowsed the fire before leaving the campsite, headed for my own sweet slumber.

The next morning, I returned to the cabin in human form to check on the visitor and to assure Lauren that she had not dreamed of our meeting the night before. When I arrived, she was sitting on the log staring at the two coffee mugs still sitting there as if they were her sole proof that I had visited the previous night. As I broke clear of the tree line she looked up, smiling at my approach.

We spent that entire day talking, Lauren firing question after question at me, until we were both exhausted. As evening approached, she asked if I would share a meal with her and I gladly welcomed her invitation. As we ate, Lauren asked me about Ki, a subject we had briefly touched upon earlier in the day, and I told her about the love we had shared for many years. I also told Lauren that it was her scent, so much like Ki’s that had attracted her to me on her first night in the forest and the reason I had been so drawn to her since her arrival.

We chatted until well after dark and I could see a weariness start to sink into Lauren so I bid her farewell for the evening. I felt her eyes watching me as I walked towards the woods and waited for the covering of the trees before I began my change. Once again in wolf form, I ran through the forest feeling a lightness in my heart that had been absent for so many years.

The next day arrived, and I appeared at the cabin in wolf form as Lauren had asked if she could take some photographs of me in both forms. She quickly went to work, shooting several rolls of film in different stages of movement and stills, both color and black and white. When she was done, I walked behind the cabin and returned in woman form. She continued shooting film and soon we were both exhausted. Lauren could barely wait to get into her homemade dark room to begin developing the film, so I busied myself with preparing a simple meal.

An hour or so later, she emerged from the dark room, smiling brilliantly. She came to me and took my hand and led me into the room to view the prints she had hung to dry. One in particular caught my eye as I entered the room and I stepped closer for a better view. The magic of modern photography had allowed her to create a frame with both figures of wolf and woman and it was a wondrous sight to behold. Other than reflections in the water, I had never really known what I had looked like in either form until that moment. When I turned to look at Lauren, I was surprised to find there were tears trailing down her cheeks.

She said, never in her life had she ever shot anything so beautiful as compared to that picture. She placed her arms around me and hugged me close, thanking me for allowing her to shoot the photographs. I hugged her back, immensely enjoying the feel of her body next to mine and thanked her for sharing them with me. We broke the embrace, but she continued to drape an arm comfortably over my shoulder as she leaned across me, pointing out highlights of the other pictures.

I was having great difficulty focusing on her words and when I forgot to answer a question she had asked, she turned to me looking me deeply in the eyes and asked if I was all right. No longer able to contain my desire for Lauren, I leaned forward and brought my lips to hers, my arms encircling her waist. I did not encounter any resistance as my tongue parted her lips and we continued to softly kiss. Lauren’s hands roamed over my back, the kiss becoming deeper and more passionate as our bodies molded together, filling the room with a sudden heat.

My fingers traced the curves and lines of Lauren’s face as her hands continued working down my back to my hips. Our bodies enjoyed the contact in silence, excitement building between us. My hands busied themselves with the buttons on Lauren’s shirt, fingers trembling with anticipation of the soft skin that lay underneath. My heart was pounding wildly as Lauren’s shirt opened to reveal small, beautiful breasts, nipples standing erect. I pushed the shirt off her shoulders and let it fall to the floor around her. Lauren stood before me naked from the waist up and my hands ached to touch every inch of her smooth skin. Starting at her ears, my fingertips moved slowly down her neck, past the pulse throbbing in her throat. I was holding my breath when Lauren took my hands in hers and led them down her chest, placing them on her breasts.

Lauren’s eyes closed as I began stroking her breasts with the palms of my hands, her nipples growing harder under my touch. My body was burning with a need to make love to Lauren, a sensation I had forgotten since Ki’s death. Lauren took me by the hand and led me to the bed and sat me down on the edge as she removed her boots and jeans. My eyes were transfixed to her, unable to focus on anything besides Lauren. She moved forward and began undressing me, her nimble hands swiftly manipulating fasteners, consuming my body with her touch.

I was unprepared for her aggressiveness as Lauren pushed me back onto the bed and laid her body gently on top of me. Our mouths joined and hands began exploring as a flash of lightning told of an oncoming storm. The rain began falling gently on the tin roof of the cabin as Lauren began kissing her way slowly down my body. Her tongue burned trails down my body as the tension was coiling inside me. As her lips brushed passed my hips onto my furry mound, I felt a low growl begin to grow in my belly, becoming louder as her lips and tongue pleased me. As I peaked, I grabbed her head, holding her still as the feral growl was released, filling the room with its eerie sound.

When I opened my eyes, Lauren was watching me intently, a smile growing on her face. I pulled her up to me, kissing her deeply as I rolled over on top of her. My fingers played across her heated skin, relishing the softness of her body. I looked into her eyes as my fingers teased their way slowly down her body, her passion burning hotter the lower I touched. Her breath was coming more shallowly as my hand dipped between her thighs and my mouth covered her breast. I caressed her very lightly with my fingertips as my mouth suckled more urgently on her breast.

Lauren’s hands found the top of my head, gently pushing me further down her body as the electrical storm had fully arrived, lighting the dark cabin with its brilliant flashes. I licked slowly down her body, enjoying the taste, smell and feel of my new lover and I took painstaking measures to fully enjoy each as Lauren’s body rode wave after wave of pleasure.

When she could stand no more, Lauren pulled me up on top of her, resting my head on her chest, her hands gently stroking my hair. I looked up into her face to see tears rolling down her cheeks and quietly moved up to capture the salty gifts with my tongue. No words were needed to explain the tears of absolute joy that flowed so beautifully down to my waiting lips.

With a feeling of total completeness, I rolled onto the bed next to Lauren and held her in my arms. Locked in a loving embrace, we watched the storm as it grew and passed silently into the night.

Post Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
dRED1

Alli,

Another awesome story, thanks so much for sharing this lovely read with us.

Hugs,
Gel

Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:09 am 
Allison

Gel.....hhhmmm thanks for the post. I appreciate your following my stories so very much. Blushing at your praise!

Alli

Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
ghost

smiles quietly....

dont know why i never replied to this story, alli. but it remains one of my favorites.

regards
ghost

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:36 am 
Allison

Awww, thanks for getting around to it Ghost Wink

Alli

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:22 pm 
ladielove

well I read this story gosh three months after I was here alli ...lol

I agree with ghosty awesome story ...

i thought you had something new here lol ...

but rereading this story was great .

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:02 pm 
Allison

I am glad you enjoyed it the second time around then Ladie Wink Thanks for the post my friend!

Alli

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:55 pm 
Eiregirl

Allison,

Like others have said...Awesome story!!

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Allison

Thanks Eire. Sorry for having missed your post!

Alli

Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:54 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: