BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

The Great Door (wow i suck at titles haha)

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
illusive_dreams

The Great Door (wow i suck at titles haha)

“Haven’t we gone far enough already?” Andrea said with an obvious look of exhaustion. She looked up at her best friend Markus anxiously awaiting an answer.
“No, not yet. It’s just a few more minutes down this path. I promise we’ll be there soon.” Markus replied. He was faintly sympathetic, but more interested in what layed ahead. They’d been walking around in the forest for hours. Andrea was beginning to think they were only travelling in circles. However, Markus was determined that he knew where he was going and that his surprise was unlike any other.
Both Andrea and Markus were fifteen years old, but very different in almost every way possible. Although Markus was the slim, sporty type, he wasn’t the brightest lightbulb on the tree. Andrea, on the other hand, was the chubby couch potato with enough intelligence for all of the tenth grade. Noone knew how they had stayed friends their entire lives. They were so different that it didn’t make much sense to anyone but them. They knew they loved each other and to them that was all that mattered.
Andrea looked around at the trees and asked, “Are you absolutely sure you know where we’re going? I mean, we’ve been here for hours and I really have to go pee!”
Markus replied with a simple, “Yes.” Then added, “If you have to go that bad there’s plenty of trees out here. You know I won’t look and noone else is around.”
“Eww no. That’s just gross! Peeing in the forest? You’ve got to be kidding Markus!” She said with a look of total disgust. They travelled over a couple more small hills before reaching a small cave.
“There it is! I told you we’d find it,” Markus said and showed off his pride with a small dance.
“Okay, okay! Don’t get too carried away, it’s not like you scored a touch down or something,” she said while peeking inside the cave then poking her head around to see what was on the other side. “I just don’t get it Markus. How could this lead us anywhere even remotely interesting?” She said while looking around at the never ending abyss of trees, shrubs and stumps.
“You’ll see Andy, just give it a chance okay?” Markus had promised to take Andrea to a ‘special place’. She’d been sort of depressed for a few weeks and he knew that he had to do something about it. Andrea was, at first, a little hesitant but quickly grew fond of the idea. She could use something special in her life and was happy that she had a friend who would help her out.
“Whatever you say Markus. This better be worth it,” she said with a teasing look. Markus led the way in and at first it seemed like an ordinary cave. A few hanging vines here and there, little trickling streams of water slowly making their way down the cavern walls and small cluster of mould all around. Andrea slightly gagged as she remembered the time that Markus had talked her into licking mould off of a rock. She’d thrown up a few times afterward and purposely directed some of it at him. She chuckled quietly to herself as she remembered that part of the story. Just as suddenly as she had started giggling she stopped. Her expression changed from that of amusement to complete awe. Amazement filled her body and soul as she looked beyond the hanging vines Markus had pulled back. Goose bumps crept over her back and arms at a rapid pace, and her eyes were filled with glistening tears. Never had she seen such a sight.
Markus motioned toward the opening while not saying a word. Any commentary on his part would surely ruin the mood, so he held back in anticipation of what Andrea was about to say. “It’s... it’s...” The pause filled Markus with a feeling of suspense like no other. “It’s beyond words Markus. It’s truly beyond words,” Andrea finally concluded. She slowly walked forward, into a mystical world of enchantment. Looking around she realized that she was no longer in the forest. This place, this magical place, had a beauty all of it’s own. The trees stretched up to the sky as if they’d never touch it and their leaves were painted bright, rainbow colours. The flowers seemed larger than life itself and the small animals ran about between the blue and yellow bushes.
“What is this place?” Andrea finally asked. She looked to her left and noticed that there was a defined line between day and night. The cheery, light blue sky quickly turned to a deep dark blue where the moon and stars looked as if they were hanging from a child’s mobile. Beneath the dark night sky there were fuzzy, cuddly looking bears, bunnies and many more animals sleeping in total peace. No animal tried to hurt another, they just lived in perfect harmony. Although no music was playing, Andrea was sure that she could hear a sweet, soft melody. One that this special place held all to itself. One that expressed great love and prosperity.
“I stumbled across it one day. I was taking a walk by myself when I was upset and heard something. I figured that I should check it out and here I was. This place is awesome isn’t it?” Markus asked without receiving an answer. “The wierd thing is, when I came back the next day it wasn’t here. I came back every day for weeks and still nothing. It only seems to be here when someone is upset. Otherwise the cave just leads you back out into the forest.” Again Andrea didn’t answer. She knew what Markus was trying to say and was sure he did not need a response.
Markus led her across a beautiful, grass-covered hill to a small pond. There they found a cute, little frog hunched over at the bank of the pond. The frog looked like it had been cut out of a childrens’ book, but then again so did the rest of the place. Markus leaned over and began to whisper to the frog. A look of intrigue and concern arose on Andrea’s face. “Markus, what are you doing?” She asked. Markus only looked at her and raised his forefinger to his lips as if to say “be quiet”. The frog slowly hopped around so that it was facing Andrea and she noticed the small crown placed on it’s head. “Oh, wait. Don’t tell me. If I kiss it, it’ll turn into a prince?” She said and quietly giggled to herself.
“No, actually, I am in charge here,” the frog announced with a tone of pride. Andrea only looked at him in amazement and confusion. “It’s okay to be a little confused and I didn’t really mind that remark. However, by the looks of you, I’d say that you really need that prince right about now,” he released a deep, almost ribbitting laugh. “Don’t take that the wrong way young one. I just sensed that you aren’t very happy with life right now, otherwise the great door wouldn’t have opened.”
“Great door, eh?” Andrea said and laughed quite loudly as if her remark was rather amusing.
“Yes.” The frog ignored her remark and continued, “The great door between our world and yours, the mortal world. You see, things here stay peaceful and us creatures never die. That is, unless we are to become upset out of purely selfish reasons. That does not happen very often here. We’ve come to live in perfect harmony, unlike your world. It is filled with hate, power and destruction. We’d like to help you all. We’d like to help you all live happy lives like our own. Your lives don’t last as long and you need to be able to embrace the time you have with open arms and a willing heart. However, we cannot help you. It is simply impossible for us to fix the problems that your world has created over thousands of years.”
“Then why am I here? What makes me more important than them?” Andrea asked while realizing how small she was in the cold, harsh world she’d come to be a part of.
“Nothing makes us more important Andrea,” Markus commented.
“The boy has a point,” the old frog stated. “You are not more important. Having superiors is what got your world into the mess it is in. Markus was feeling bad for himself and he knew that. He wanted so badly to change his selfish ways. His will to be a better person is what opened the great door, and our world is what opened his mind and soul. You on the other hand were so trapped in your ways that you were not able to see the people that you were hurting while hurting yourself even more. Luckily Markus cared enough for you that again his will opened the great door.”
“Okay, I get where you’re coming from. I really do. I just wish you’d stop saying ‘the great door’. We sound like we’re on Polka Dot Door or something,” Andrea commented. The old frog just nodded. Andrea looked over to Markus and said, “Look Mark, I’m really sorry for hurting you and for hurting anyone else. I never meant to. I really, really never meant to. I guess I never realized how beautiful the world could be if more people would only open their eyes and minds to the endless possibilities. I guess that I never had things as bad as I had thought. I have you and you care about me. I guess a lot of other people don’t even have someone that cares this much. Thank-you.”
“No problem Andy. You’ll always have me and I’m not the only one that cares. Your parents do. They may not show it all the time but they do care. And I’m sure that if you search hard enough you’ll realize that many more people care,” Markus said as he gently hugged Andrea.
“I guess that my work here is done,” said the old frog and with that he jumped into the water and swam over to the other side of the pond.
“Thank-you again Markus,” Andrea said. She looked around a little and smiled a real smile for the first time in a long time. “I really love this place, but can we go home now? I have some people to apologize to. Oh, and I still have some math homework to finish.” They both laughed and began to walk back to ‘the great door’.

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Raven

(((((((((((((((((DREAMS)))))))))))))))))))))
You posted in fantasy!!!

I'm not alone anymore!!!

Title was fine!!!

Story was cute with its moral lesson!!!

~special wink for you, and only for you now

Kisses,
Raven

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:11 am 
Cat

hi! Raven!

i read your story today and i'm sending a little reply to let you know.

i enjoyed the concept. did you even re-write, made it evolve any further or is it the final text?

thank you, miAow

'Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving'
(Albert Einstein, 1930)

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:43 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: