BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Lesbian Love Stories

Amarillo (working title, may change)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Amarillo (working title, may change)

Dianne Matson hated Texas! She hated the heat, she hated the dust and she hated the numerous flying bugs that inhabited the Lone Star State. Unfortunately, right at this moment she had an overload of all three as she inched her ancient Chevy truck along the potholed gravel road that lead into the trailer park where she currently resided, no way in hell was she going to call this rundown community of misfits home! Her vehicle’s air con had long since died and with today’s temps still nudging the 100 deg mark at 6 pm, the windows were wound down to try and alleviate some of the former on the hate list she was mentally compiling. Naturally this state of affairs allowed plenty of the latter two into the truck’s cab, so by the time she finally pulled up outside her rented double wide, a cool shower was first and foremost on her mind.

Ten minutes later she was standing under a tepid stream of water in the community shower block, sluicing the day off her tired body and trying to raise enough energy to be outraged by the mould growth on the wall tiles. When she’d first moved into this park some three months ago, the general level of cleanliness in the public facilities had appalled her but she’d soon learned that complaints along these lines were met with polite smiles by the Park manager, vague promises to ‘git right onta that Ma’am’ and very little else. Now she hardly even noticed the general state of disrepair, she just wore her flip flops in the shower, dodged the largest of the craters in the road and made sure any foodstuffs she consumed were bought in a clean and shiny Supermarket, not off the grimy shelves in the front two rooms of the manager’s house which doubled as the park store. Even when a cockroach emerged from the gap under the wall of the adjoining cubicle, all she could do was aim a half hearted kick in it’s general direction as it scuttled under the plastic shower curtain and out into the main bathroom area.

“Damn, but my feet ache” she muttered tiredly and not for the first time wondered how her world had come down to this, living in the Sunny Acres Trailer Park just outside of Amarillo and working in Charlie’s All You Can Eat BBQ & Bar for minimum wage and tips, and that particular commodity was becoming scarcer every day as the global financial crisis bit deep into the pockets of nearly everyone in this rural community. Six months ago she appeared to have had it all, a loving partner, a nice apartment and a good job in a print store downtown, true she still didn’t like Texas then anymore than she liked it now, but with Karla by her side, she had been prepared to put up with almost anything. And then it had all collapsed in quick succession, tumbling like a row of dominoes, one thing after the other, though with hindsight she supposed you could say it all began to go downhill the day she agreed to leave L.A. and take Karla back to her home State.

A sudden gust of hot air swirling under the door announced the arrival in the bathroom of a clutch of teenage girls, their squealing and giggling shattering the quiet as they vied for the three remaining shower stalls. Dianne sighed, knowing the small amount of water pressure she did have would drop to a trickle once this lot got started, so she reluctantly turned off the tap and began to towel dry her short cropped dark hair, idly studying her body in the steamy cracked mirror hanging askew on the back of the door. Running her self ragged at Charlie’s at least had the advantage of keeping her weight at an even 135lb, which sat well on her compact frame and hadn’t varied more than a pound or two since her High School days some 15 years ago. She still had the strong arms and legs of the AAA softball player she had been right up to the day she left California just over a year earlier. Steady grey eyes and a determined set to her mouth completed what she had always considered a plain face, but which had attracted its fair share of girls, and she reflected wryly, in her teen years and early 20’s, more guys than she cared to remember. Saddled with a distinctly warped sense of humor she had rather enjoyed watching their reaction to her admission that she “batted for the other team”. Her gayness had never really been an issue for her until the move to Texas, having come out to her own family and friends at 17 with a surprising lack of drama, though the fact that she’d been born to anti-establishment hippie parents in an Oregon commune probably , she admitted to herself, had a lot to do with their acceptance.

Stepping into a pair of cutoffs and a haltertop, she remembered with a grin, the reaction she had got from her older brother, Jonathon, who at that time had been 20 and studying economics at college, he had just rolled his eyes and made a comment along the lines of “duh, like tell us something we didn’t know little sis”. Thinking of Jonno always made her smile, he was so totally different to the rest of the family and she knew that at times her lifestyle, and that of their parents, was a real trial to him, Not for the first time she wondered how someone so earthbound and conformist got born into their family. Mom and Dad still had a few acres of land on the site of the original commune, where they grew organic vegetables, made jewelry to sell at art and crafts fairs and generally behaved as if time had stopped sometime around Woodstock. In fact the last time Dianne had visited them about 3 years ago her Dad had been busily engaged in building a replica of a native American sweat lodge. And she herself had always been a free spirit and a wanderer . The day she had graduated High School she had taken off in a bright yellow VW Combi van, it had been her parent’s original vehicle and she and her Dad had spent many companionable hours, elbow deep in grease, restoring it to it’s original condition. Well, almost original, she had drawn the line at her Mother’s attempts to decorate the paintwork with flowers and starbursts and peace signs!

The year that followed were spent exploring the South West States, reveling in the natural scenic beauty of such places as Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and many more smaller, less touristy areas off the beaten track. Inheriting her Mom’s natural gift for painting and drawing, she soon found that hand drawn charcoal sketches of people, especially children, were a sure fire money maker and allowed her to put fue l in the van and basic foodstuffs on her table. After living her whole life among the tall timber of Oregon, Dianne was mesmerized by the red rock canyon country she encountered and often thought about settling down somewhere in Utah but eventually homesickness and the desire to have a less precarious method of making a living, had turned her wheels for home.

Time had slid by quickly from then on, a Community College course in Graphic Arts and Sign Writing taken on a whim had revealed exactly where her true talents lay and she aced the subject to a point where her instructors were begging her to come back and teach others. Knowing she would never have the patience for a 9-5 job though, Dianne had begun small with a booth at the Arts & Crafts market where her parents sold their jewelry. In no time at all the word got around about her almost uncanny ability to take an idea out of somebody’s head and transfer it onto paper . “That is EXACTLY what I wanted” became a phrase very familiar to her ears as she progressed from simple birthday or wedding invitations, up through flyers for local businesses and finally the offer of a job with a large advertising agency in Portland. Staying with them only a few years, Dianne had parlayed her talent into jobs all over the West Coast, even surprising herself when she settled into the hurly burly of life in L.A. for several years, and it was there that she had met Karla. Before then, there had been more than a few women in her life, from her first girlfriend in College up to her last serious relationship which had been live in and lasted some 10 months, her all time record, but in truth Dianne had to admit that she got bored fast and at the first hint of real domesticity she generally bolted for higher ground. Ah, but Karla, that had been different, for the first time she had wanted someone more than they wanted her.

Post Wed May 20, 2009 1:52 pm 
Laurian

ooooooo, Noni is telling a story. Hurray!
*waiting patiently but eager to hear more*

I like the beginning, Noni Exclamation

Post Wed May 20, 2009 6:59 pm 
angelsheart

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Post Wed May 20, 2009 8:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Thank you ladies, I appreciate your dropping by to read. Next instalment below.

HugZ, Noni

Post Thu May 21, 2009 9:46 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

As she walked back thru the heat haze to her trailer, Dianne wondered why the past had been weighing so heavily on her mind of late, but she figured it was part of the grieving process she was still going through following the breakup, to figure out how you got to a certain point in your life, you had to have some idea of where you had been. A snatch of melody and lyrics from an old Judds song chased through her brain as she walked back to her trailer and she sang quietly to herself as she unlocked the door and stepped into the quiet…………..”I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m sure where I ‘ve come from……”

A burst of plaintive meowing from the black cat curled up on the window ledge drowned out her voice and smiling, she reached over and petted the sleek coat. “What’s the matter Mischief, you don’t like my singing voice? Well, you could be right, Mom always used to say I scared away all the birds in the forest when I was a kid. Or are you just hungry big boy, looks like you ate all the kibble I left this morning, come on then let’s get you some dinner”. Feeding the cat and making herself a toasted tomato and cheese sandwich was about all she had energy left for tonight, the heat was enervating in spite of the small window air con that was keeping down the temperature by about 20 deg compared to outside. Plus she’d been on her feet at Charlie’s for over 10 hours today, doubling up as a server in the buffet and behind the bar, they were woefully understaffed but customer numbers had been dropping month by month as the recession bit hard into jobs all over, and the owner (whose name was Eric, not Charlie, go figure) had no intention of hiring any new staff, he just ran the ones he did have into the ground. Bastard, she thought savagely, he knew damn well that none of them dare complain, money was just too tight everywhere and most of the other gals had mortgages to pay and kids to support. The whole of this side of town was littered with empty houses with swinging “Bank Foreclosure” signs swaying like empty gallows in the front yards.

By 9.00pm Dianne could barely keep here eyes open and she slipped outside to sit on her step and have a last cigarette before heading to bed. The temperature had dropped to almost bearable as the shadows closed in around the worn out assortment of trailers and park homes, the smell of meat sizzling on BBQ’s and the squeals of kids splashing in the pool two rows over giving the whole complex, an almost vacation like atmosphere. Unfortunately she knew this to be far from the truth, Sunny Acres had very few holiday makers on their books, and if it did, well, you could be sure that the KOA down the road was full up. The clientele here were the hard luck stories of Amarillo, a great proportion were Hispanic families unable to afford a real house, single Mothers with young children and babies, pensioners eking out their meager Social Security checks and the real dregs of society, the alcoholics and drug users. But lately these troubled financial times were ushering in a new breed of poor, previously working class white families unable to make their mortgage payments after the main breadwinner had lost his or her job. She had watched them trickling in for the past few months, some defiant and angry, some subdued, all of them with that same look of bewilderment that Dianne knew she had probably worn herself initially, the look said ‘what happened, what did I do to deserve being in this dump?’. It was a question she could no more find an answer for than they could. A voice nearby penetrated her thought processes.

“Hola, Senora Dianne, como estas? You like some carne asada,, that wife of mine, she cook way too much again” The speaker was her immediate neighbor, Manuel Garcia and as he slowly walked the ten feet or so from his front porch, Dianne’s stomach gurgled in response to the savory smell of meat in the small tray he carried. Manuel was at least 80 she guessed, small framed and burnt to the color of the earth, his back bent from many years of hard physical labor, picking crops for a living. He and his wife, a cheerful and energetic woman who spoke very little English, had turned over their home in town to one of their sons and his growing family some years ago and retired to the trailer park. But still Maria found it hard to get out of the habit of cooking large amounts for her family who all visited often, and Manuel had taken to occasionally bringing Dianne leftovers, which she always gratefully accepted.

“Gracias Manuel, it smells divine, I didn’t think I was hungry until I smelled that, tell Maria she is an angel”.

“You need to eat girl, you work too hard on an empty stomach, is not good” Manuel’s wrinkled face was creased in a teasing grin, ever since Dianne had moved into the park he had been on a personal crusade to fatter her up, like a lot of Hispanic men he liked the ladies with curves to spare. His Maria was nearly as wide as her 5’ frame was high and his three daughters not far behind their Mother. Settling on the stoop next to her, he lit a cigarette and gestured out to the darkening shadows of twilight, real darkness came so late on the flat Texas plains with no mountains or even hills to obscure the light. “Another beautiful day, thanks be to God. How lucky I am to live to see another sunset”

It was one of things that Dianne found so likeable about this man, from all accounts his life had been hard, born into brutal poverty in a family of 11 back in Mexico, rudimentary schooling, nothing but work, work, work since the age of 12, then the responsibility of a family of his own from 21 onwards. Two of his own brood of 7 children had died young, one daughter of fever as a baby and one son in a vehicle accident as a teenager, but Manuel never complained, his simple gratefulness for a roof over his head and food on his plate were a reminder to Dianne that she really didn’t have it that bad. She grinned affectionately at her neighbor, speaking through a mouthful of the delicious spicy meat which she was eating with her fingers, much to Manuel’s obvious approval.

“Manuel, only you would give thanks for a day of 100 deg, when we have already had 5 in a row. I swear today I could have turned off the BBQ at Charlies and fried eggs on the hood of my truck”

At the mention of Charlies, Manuel spat on the ground at this side. “Ha, that place, they would not know how to cook good BBQ if it bit them in the ass! All they care about is money, money, money, and the sauce they use, repugnante, everything bought in a bottle from who knows where, when they could make it themselves as I do. Lazy!”

With this indictment on the culinary arts displayed at her work place, Manuel heaved himself to his feet and took his leave, insisting she could bring back the dish whenever……….Manana, he smiled.

Watching his slow progress back to his trailer Dianne wished, not for the first time, that the Garcias had more money for healthcare, she guessed that some simple NSAIDs would take a lot of the pain from Manuel’s aching body. But she also knew that every spare penny the couple had went to keep their children and their families afloat. Grinding out the butt of her smoke in the dirt she rose and went back inside to crash on the bed, Mischief curled up near her feet, purring in rhythm with the cicadas nightly chorus.

Post Thu May 21, 2009 9:48 am 
cloudnine

wow.... great write! Arrow Arrow Arrow

Post Thu May 21, 2009 10:25 pm 
Jamie B

Oh, Boy, another story from Noni and it is set in Texas. Thank you. Am enyoying it a lot.
Jamie B

Post Sat May 23, 2009 1:41 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Thanks Cloudnine and Jamie, it's gratifying to have someone interested in my writing. More to follow.

HugZ, Noni

Post Sat May 23, 2009 8:49 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

6am came way too fast and Dianne swore softly as she groped for the off button on her bedside alarm. She would have loved to hit the snooze for just another 5 minutes but she didn’t dare, her shift started at 7am plus she had begun giving a lift to Krystal Yates, a young single Mom who lived in the trailer park and had started work at Charlies about a month earlier. Already the sun was a fiery red ball and the air held the promise of another scorcher ahead. even hotter than yesterday. After quickly throwing on her work uniform washing her face , she wet combined her hair with her fingers and lightly applied a pale lipstick, the only make up she wore. Walking back into the main living area she laughed to see Mischief already draped across the front window of the trailer, his back to her, fur bristling in all directions and his long black tail swishing his displeasure at her obvious preparations to leave for the day.

“Awww Mischief babe don’t be like that, you know your Mama has to go earn the pennies that pay for your expensive designer cat food, plus the cost of leaving the air on for your all day, you spoiled boy” But no amount of cajoling would make him turn his head and she grinned quietly to herself, this was a ritual game they played every workday, he would ignore her, ignore the kibble she left out and act as if he didn’t care diddly squat whether she stayed or went. And everyday when she returned home, there he would be in the same position, as if he hadn’t moved a muscle all day, except that his bowl would be empty and there would be an incriminating cat-sized depression right in the middle of her bed. Mischief had come to her as a tiny kitten, abandoned in the courtyard of the apartment block she had lived in for a time in L.A., He had . traveled out to Amarillo in a cat cage on the front seat between her and Karla and had voiced his displeasure at the trip with ear splitting moans and howls every five seconds for the first 100 miles of the journey. His vocalizations were equaled only by Karla’s bitching about him and when she finally avowed that either he shut up or she was getting out at the next roadhouse, Dianne was more than tempted to pull over and leave the pair of them by the roadside. A towel draped over the cage seemed to solve the problem and when they had finally unpacked in the new apartment Karla’s parents had rented for them, the feline had walked calmly from the cage and ensconced himself on the couch as if he had lived there all his life.

That morning, as Dianne locked the door and slid into the cab of her truck she reflected on how the apartment had driven the first wedge into her relationship with Karla, which for two years beforehand had seemed a match made in heaven.. Lighting her first for the day, she checked her watch and realized that she was at least ten minutes too early and likely Krystal would be her characteristic five minutes late anyhow. The large Cottonwood tree next to her trailer, one of the few mature trees in the whole park, kept her truck relatively cool and she took the opportunity for some quiet retrospection before the hurly burly of the day began. Hell she thought grimly, the apartment had been just the beginning of the influence Karla’s parents had wielded on her partner’s life from the moment she arrived back in this dusty cow town. The girl she had met in L.A. had seemed so self sufficient, and independent, from their first meeting she had been attracted to Karla’s ‘I know what I want and I know how to get it’ attitude. At the time Dianne had been the chief design artist at a large L.A. branch of a nationwide chain of print and copy outlets, her Manager had been wise enough to give her almost compete artistic freedom once she had seen, not just the quality of the finished product, but the rapport Dianne was able to establish with the customers. Karla had been employed as the P.A. to the top executive of an Advertising Agency with whom they had a large account and had come barreling into the shop one morning, two minutes after the 7.30am opening time to pick up an order of brochures. If it had been a movie, Dianne reflected wryly, there would have been fireworks going off, birds singing and love hearts drifting across the screen, all it had taken was one look to send her heart into instant overdrive. The gal standing just two feet away from her across the counter was a tall, slim blonde, dressed in a business skirt, blouse and heels but Dianne’s gaydar alarm was ringing off the scale. And she was rarely, if ever, wrong on that count. In two days they were talking on the phone for hours, by the end of the first week there had been a dinner date and a movie. Two weeks later she spent the night in Karla’s bed and within the month, Dianne had moved her in with her, and yeah, she certainly heard the term ‘U Haul lesbian’ from many of her friends, gay and straight alike. She didn’t care, she was totally besotted with this gal and to her eternal wonderment, Karla seemed to reciprocate the exact same emotions. Suddenly domesticity seemed the most natural state in the world and the more time she spent with Karla, the more she wanted, this was serious stuff……………and she loved every second of it.

“This is country radio KSTA and the time is 7.40am and here’s the new one from Carrie Underwood…”
The announcers’ voice broke Dianne’s train of thought and she swore involuntarily as she eased the truck out from under the tree and crawled impatiently at the park limit of 10MPH down 3 rows and across four, to the far back corner of the park where most of the permanent, long time residents lived. Some people tried to make their tired old trailers look more homelike with foot high picket fencing and potted plants but a lot of them just plain quit trying a long time ago. Krystal’s Mother, Laverne, at least tried, she had a small plot of green lawn around the front steps, dotted with plaster flamingos, bunnies and squirrels, the Texas flag flew raggedly from the TV aerial and a weather worn ‘Home Sweet Home’ plaque hung crookedly next to the screen door. As she pulled hurriedly up outside, Dianne could see Krystal coming down the steps, a coffee travel mug in one hand and her ten month old daughter Jazmine Rose balanced on her opposite hip. She grinned and waved to Dianne, then turned and yelled back through the open door,

Post Sat May 23, 2009 8:51 am 
Laurian

... as if you are painting a picture...

Arrow it

Post Sat May 23, 2009 8:52 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

awwwww, that's a nice thing to say. I guess I try to set the scene but there will be some dialogue soon, I promise.

ugZ, Noni

Post Sun May 24, 2009 1:30 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

“Mama, come git Jazzy please,, Ms. Matson’s here and we are gonna be late if we wait any longer”. Seconds later Laverne came barreling thru the door and snatched the little one from her Mother and Dianne marveled at the complacent nature of this fat little scrap with her pitch black hair already long enough to be tied up in a topknot and her baby ears pierced with two tiny gold studs. Krystal always said she was the best baby in the world and at only 17, she was lucky to have the support of her own Mom to help bring up her little angel. Jazmine Rose’s father had been the 18 year old son of an itinerant Hispanic family who stayed briefly in the trailer park, just over 18 months ago, by the time Krystal realized she was pregnant, he was long gone. Laverne herself was only 38 though she had been married to Krystal’s father, he was also the father of her two sons aged 15 and 13, but had walked out on them all some ten years before and life had been nothing but a struggle ever since. She worked as a cashier in a Supermarket on the other side of town, with shifts that started at 10am, this enabled her to get the boys off to school and look after the baby at home for a few hours before dropping her at a Daycare Centre right by her workplace.

“Morning Ms. Matson, holy cow it is gonna be another hot one today” Krystal flung herself into the truck cab, chewing gum, talking ten to the dozen and blowing kisses out the back window to Jazmine Rose as they pulled away, with one hand turning up the volume on the radio and the other dragging her straggly brown hair off her face and into a ponytail.

“Morning to you hon and how many times must I tell you, it’s Dianne please, and here, for goodness sake, give me that coffee mug, you are going to spill it all over your uniform and you know Eric likes us to be so neat and tidy for the high quality of clientele we attract in his excellent establishment”. Dianne had found out the first day they met that Krystal shared her opinion of their boss, that he was a money grubbing SOB who would shortchange his own Mother if it suited him, so she was more free with her opinions than she might otherwise have been with most other people. By now Krystal had got herself adjusted and she took back her mug, finishing it with a noisy slurp.

“Hell, I have to have at least two cups of Mama’s coffee before I leave, that brown shit we serve at Charlie’s don’t taste like no coffee I ever drank. And I cook ten times better than anything we serve, that’s why I never eat much at lunchtime, I know my dinner will be on the table when I get home. I just don’t know why you eat there Dianne. Surely you can cook better than that. Ouch…..” Krystal yelped as the truck hit one of the bigger potholes in the gravel road which extended two miles out to the paved highway, the impact sending her head bouncing off the cab roof.

Dianne grimaced and apologized “Sorry hon, I just couldn’t get around that one, if these things get any bigger they are going to swallow a small car whole one of these days. And as for cooking, nope, I don’t cook, never have, my repertoire is limited to anything I can microwave or toast. Besides I think if God wanted me to cook, he wouldn’t have invented take out pizza.” She chuckled at the horrified look on Krystal’s face, then turned her attention quickly back to the road ahead, slowing down as they drew closer to the Yield sign at the T junction leading onto the main Highway. The more she got to know about the Yates family, the more she realized the contrast between what her first impressions had been and the reality of their situation. Sure they might be dirt poor, but Laverne had done a great job with her kids, they were all polite, clean and able to take care of their own laundry and cooking, even the boys. Those kids addressed all adults as Sir or Ma’am and shook hands and looked you in the eye. And if Krystal had made a mistake in getting pregnant so young, she had grown up in a hurry, never once shirking her responsibilities towards her little one, working hard each day and spending her nights at home, helping her brothers with their homework and supervising their behavior as closely as their Mother did. In fact in a role reversal that had struck Dianne as amusing, it was Laverne that went out on the weekends to dances or dinners with her workmates and her daughter that stayed in.

Krystal wasn’t going to let up on the subject of home cooking.

“Didn’t your Momma teach you to cook when you was little? Hell, I was stirring things in pots when I was so short I had to stand on a chair to reach. When you lived in that nice apartment in town, you must have eaten at home some, the rent for that place would have been fierce, surely you couldn’t afford to eat out all the time.?”

Dianne spoke without thinking/ “Oh Karla cooked some, it wasn’t fancy but it was plain but filling, she did a great fried breakfast”

Before the last word had hardly left her mouth, her hands were tightening on the steering wheel and that sick feeling she got when she didn’t steel herself against the pain of remembering, was washing over her in clammy waves, causing her to shiver involuntarily. She and Karla had always appeared to make such a perfect combination, Karla would cook and Dianne had never minded basic housework and was a whiz with anything mechanical. both of them had been ambitious and prepared to work hard. Their apartment in L.A. had been neat and tidy, mostly cause they were out of it so often but their evenings had always been full of laughter and chatter, as they each described their workdays to the other, then settled in to watch some TV or listen to some music before bed. The thoughts of all the nights, spent wrapped around each other in their king size bed. made her mouth go dry, the sexual chemistry between the two of them had been electric from that first day and it only seemed to get more incendiary as time went on. Karla certainly hadn’t been the first woman she had thought she was in love with, but she was the first one that had her thinking about happily ever after and growing old together. Things had been so good back then, until Karla began to get more and more homesick for her family and against Dianne’s better judgment, she soon found herself organizing a transfer to her firm’s branch in Amarillo. at a considerable drop in salary Karla herself just chucked in her job, avowing she’d have no trouble getting another similar position through connections in her hometown, With the 20/20 clarity of hindsight Dianne realized that she should have questioned Karla more closely about her relationship with her family and her life choices before she had left Texas and moved to L.A some three years ago.

“Love makes blind fools of us all” the phrase was muttered almost inaudibly under cover of the radio blasting out the latest Toby Keith hit, but Krystal had sharp hearing and she gave Dianne a quick, sympathetic look.

“Well ain’t that the truth, hell look at me, I believed everything that no good boy told me and he left me holding a baby. Still…..” her face softened like it always did when she talked about Jazmine Rose, “I wouldn’t trade her for a hill of beans now, but sometimes I sure think it would be nice to be finishing up school and having no more to worry about ’cept what to wear to Graduation. Ms. Mats……….I mean Dianne…….I’m guessing you were thinking about your gal again, I’m real sorry that things didn’t work out for you two, My Mama says it’s got to be real hard for you, on account of losing her and your good job and the apartment all in the one month. Mama says to tell you that she is always there if you need anyone to talk to, she’s real good at listening and saying all the right things. When I first found out I was expecting , Mama spent a lot of time with me, talking about life and helping me get used to the idea and all that. Well, anyhow I just thought I’d mention that……….” Krystal’s voice trailed off and she blushed slightly, her eyes fixed on the road ahead, worried that she had said too much and embarrassed the older woman. Dianne had given Laverne a brief, unemotional rundown of her own relationship, and subsequent break up with Karla, soon after offering Krystal a lift to work each day. In any situation, especially one involving a younger female, she preferred to be upfront , knowing how quickly gossip traveled. Subsequently though, she had avoided any personal conversation on the subject and Krystal had generally heeded her Mama ‘s warning not to probe any further as, in Laverne’s own words “that poor gal is about as raw as a skinned rabbit, she needs time and lots of it’,

Dianne coughed to clear her throat and awkwardly patted Krystal on the shoulder with one hand, the other keeping the wheel steady. “Thanks hon, um, that’s real nice of your Mom but I’m just fine truly. Soon as I save enough money to get some work done on this old rattle trap I’ll be headed back to the Coast, maybe go visit my own folks in Oregon, see if there’s any work going out that way”

Post Mon May 25, 2009 12:30 pm 
PipSqueak

Hey Noni, I'm really enjoying you setting up this story. Sorry but have been reading last thing b4 I go to bed n never logging on to leave a message.
Thank you for a new story, look forward to it!

Post Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 pm 
ThatGirlFierce

great story.. hope you add a new part soon Arrow

Post Tue May 26, 2009 4:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
twisted_desires

wow gud story so far, looking forward to reading more of your story,

Post Wed May 27, 2009 1:36 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: