BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> General

What does writing mean to you? What's your writing history?

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Seska

What does writing mean to you? What's your writing history?

Hello!

During the work on one of my stories, I thought about this question alot.

What does writing mean to you??

I would be very interested to read about your thoughts on this!!!

For me, writing means...well, alot. I started writing when I was still young. At elementary school I always loved those lessons where the teacher gave you some pictures and you had to write a story fidding to it.

Later on, I don't know the exact age, I started writing my first novel. Wait, I have to put it this way: my first 'novel'. Since I've never finished it. But, it got quite long without ever reaching even the middle of the whole plot. Laughing
I have no idea where that story is now. I guess, I deleted it all. What a shame.

I didn't write anything after that. Well, besides poems. In my teens. Going through the ups and downs of growing up. I threw them all away last year when moving. Now, THAT is a shame.

Then, a few years later, I started writing fanfiction. Xena fanfiction. Even put a few on the net.
After that? I stopped writing. It broke my heart, but I had to because there were more important things going on in my life. I tried to hold on and keep on writing. But, as much as I wanted, I wasn't able to keep doing it. I had to quit writing and concentrate on the other things.

Now, a few months ago, I just couldn't hold it back anymore. The voices in my head - Shocked - took a hold of me and pushed so hard that I had to let them out. I started writing a new story that I am working on now.

And, it makes me happy. I've missed it so much. Just sinking into this other world. As if I was not at home anymore. Watching my fingers fly over the keyboard. It's one of the most joyable things to do. Getting the stories out of my head, cleans me in a way. It allows me to quite the voices that keep telling me the story in my head until I finally put it down - on a piece of paper or the computer.
Writing allows me to forget about my surroundings and any stress etc. there is in my "real" life. There's nothing bad about that, right?

I'm not a good writer. Embarassed But I love doing it. Laughing
I'm not a professional writer and will never publish any story or book. Would I like to? I guess so. What writer wouldn't. Why? To entertain people? To show what I created? To maybe even teach people? I don't know.

But most important to me is the writing. Even if I never puplish anything in my life, I will continue writing. As long as I am able to. And I hope I will learn and get better with every character that my mind leads through his or her (most likely 'her') story.

My gf keeps asking me if the charcters of my story are me. I say no. Because they aren't me. I guess. I mean, in a way they are a part of me. My mind gives them their life. When I write, I sometimes get pulled so deeply into the story that I feel their emotions. When they go through bad times, I feel with them. And want to push the story on so they won't suffer for long. If they're happy, it makes me happy. Is that crazy?
But they're not me. They might be parts of me. Influenced by me and my own experiences in life. But they are not me. Or are they? How about your characters?
I mean, think of it, if you're writing about a serial killer, it doesn't make you a serial killer, right?

Anyway, what I wanted to say is, that writing is a part of my life I don't want to miss. A part that makes me happy and makes me feel calm. It's a part of me I can't live without. I have to write. I realised that a few months ago, when I re-started doing it. I hope, I will be able to do so for a long time.

Now, with all my chitchat done, I really want to know what you think? About writing. What it means for you and how it makes you feel.
When have you started writing? And why?

Or am I the only one feeling like that? That would make me pretty crazy, ei? Laughing Wink

Seska

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:43 am 
Allison

Chuckles at the thought of someone else with those dayum voices in their head Wink I too have written in different forms for most of my life and it has become therapuetic for me over the years. I get really cranky when life gets so busy that I don't have time to write. I have been known to take vacation time to hit the beach and do nothing but write for a few days just to purge my imagination and make more room for all the voices and new characters.

I think I am an ok writer for recreational purposes, but have not developed the technical skills to go beyond that, but I still dream of seeing something published one day.

I love detail and being able to climb into the lives of my characters and hopefully drawing readers into the story as it develops. Sometimes, more recently I can't seem to write a short story, the plot grows and grows and grows. Even when I try to keep it short, 5000 words or less, I feel cheated and like I am not finished. Finishing has become a problem of late. I suffer from ADD when it comes to wrapping one up before one or more other plots aka voices start running through my head and I have to force myself to finish one story. Mind you I am good at multi-tasking, but it leads to frustration when I don't have the time to dedicate to finishing stories.

I am not sure if this was the type of info you were looking for in this post, but heres my two cents.

Good luck with your writing!!

Alli

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Seska

Hello Allison!

Thank you for your answer. I loved reading it and that was what I'm looking for.Smile

I think I'm the same when I'm not able to write. At least when I started the story I'm working on now. While I was in the middle of it, I got really frustrated that I wasn't able to write every day, but instead had to go to work. Luckily, at the moment I'm a bit better at it. Plus, I was kind of going on my gf's nerves when I got up extra early just to be able to write.*L* Or wasn't able to stop when she wanted my attention.

I know what you mean with the finishing problem. I often have the same problem. Like, at the moment: I should work on my story Dear Lucy. I've gotten really far in the story. But it seems I've reached a point where I'm stuck. Instead of continuing it, this new story popped into my mind and is fighting it's way out. *L* I wish I had, like, four hands and could work on both stories at the same time. Wink

Thanx again for answering my post. It was nice to read about what another writer is feeling about writing.Smile

Seska

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:13 pm 
Dynasty

Hmm well it looks like somebody was a born writter! *Chuckles* My "writting eperience" is really short compared to yours. But as for me. I also enjoyed wrtting in elementary school. Infact, to this day, I have a journal of stories I wrote in elementary school that I actually did outside written assignments. Everytime I find that journal of stories (Which creep up on me whenever I'm cleaning up my room),I find myself sitting down and reading my short stories. I always giggle because I have like every other word mispelled and I have little pictures on the very bottom portraying the story.

But I definitely got really interested during middle school. In 7th grade we actually had to write a picture book. After we did this, we went to elementary schools and read them to little children. I loved that as well. Besides that, I got hooked on Quizilla.com where one can write stories and publish them on the site for people to read. I made tons and tons of stories, each centered around the supernatural (like vampires, lycans, fairies). Then as I began reading manga and watching anime, I started making little stories about a well known manga/anime character and made a love story centering about a made up female I had thought up who ends up falling in love.

Now, whenever I get this good idea in my head, my mind starts racing and that idea wont leave my head until I write/type it down. Then voila! A story has been formed! I also have problems with finishing my works as well. I am a lazy person so I usually find myself getting e-mails from people telling me to finish my stories. That's about the only motiviation after I have forgotten about a story (which can happen easily). So basically for me, writting is a like a brand new toy. Whenever you get that toy, you play around with it for awhile. Next thing you know, your moving on to another toy or just don't feel like playing with it anymore. *Laughs*

Ugh, well this reply is getting really lengthy so I have one more thing to say. I ususally love love love to write about mysteries, love, and drama. An author I feel that gives all of these aspects to me...except the love part is Agatha, Christie. I've loved her writting ever since I was in 6th grade and still do.

EEEP Ok I'm done now o.o

Exclamation Dynasty

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: