BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Chapter one (still seeking a title) [F]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Sharayakai,

I have loved reading this Smile

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
SharayaKai

Long overdue Part Six & Seven

Before I begin, I want to thank all who have enjoyed my story and waited so patiently for the next chapters.

SIX
The deeper into the forest the two travelers go, the more eerie it becomes. Several times the woman looks behind her feeling as if eyes follow their progress, but not once does the wolf seem to notice anything unusual. Finally, the silence becomes too much for the woman and she stops, sitting down upon a fallen tree.

"That's it!" she says in exasperation. "I'm not going another step. I'm tired, my head is ringing with tension, and I've no water." She holds her water skin upside down to illustrate her point. The wolf turns to face her, a look of impatience in his eyes. He lifts his snout to the breeze then walks off to her left heading north.

"Where are you going?" she calls out to him. The wolf keeps walking, not seeming to care if she follows. He disappears into the underbrush for several minutes. She begins to grow uncommonly nervous, the unfamiliar sights and sounds sending her thoughts deeper into her imagination than she ever dared to go. Suddenly to her left she hears a snapping twig. Grabbing her dagger, she ducks behind the log. Certain one of her mind’s creations has taken form, she sighs with considerable relief as a shimmer of white announces the wolf's return, the fur about his mouth dripping with water.

Rising from her crouched position, she begins to ask, “Why didn't you…” She stops, feeling silly for asking a question of a beast with no way to answer her. Finally, after a moment of staring incredulously at the wolf, she decides to ask a question he could answer, in his way. “Will you take me back to that water source so I may refill my skin and quench my thirst?” The wolf nods, gives what looks to the woman like a grin, then turns and walks back from whence he came. Dutifully the woman follows.

After a few minutes of walking in what seems the densest part of the woods, the two emerge into an open grove. In the center, bubbling up from between two gray rocks is a very small pool of clear water, but it is enough to satisfy her as she kneels before it and drinks heavily of its cooling comfort.

Once sated, she rises and looks at the wolf, her eyes sharp with inquiry and frustration. "Okay you; I’ve had enough of this great adventure. You may not be able to tell me just where we are going and why, but you can let me rest."

She settles herself against the largest of the rocks surrounding the water and pulls from her belt pouch the white stone she took off the dead assassin. The wolf growls at its appearance, yet he does not interfere with her inspection. She holds the pale white stone in her hand, examining it carefully. It looks to be simply white quartz found in abundance near the mines of Ulgaard. However, the rune etched in its surface, grants a foreboding to her inspection. With need for his companionship, and to end the silence, she shows the stone to the wolf.

“See here, it’s a bindrune using hagalaz and mannaz, it can only mean ‘destruction of mankind’. Moreover, see the symbol of the sun for a background, ‘tis the same as tattooed upon his chest.” An apt adornment for an assassin, she thinks. She takes a drink from her water, wiping the residue from her lips, again addressing the wolf.

“I knew there were assassins after me, but by whom they were sent, I know not. Neither his tattoo nor this bindrune give clarity, though I have my suspicions.”

She looks to the sky and finds not the light blue she expected but a dense green canopy of leaves and branches, the sunlight barely filtering through it. Sighing she looks again into the deep green eyes of her furry companion. "Great. I’ve no way of telling what hour it is or what direction we are headed, but I sense you do.”

The wolf looks at her for a moment, his eyes seeming to bore into her soul, and then looks about him. Sniffing the air once again, he turns and begins to head back the way they had come. She stares after him, not certain if she wants to follow him further or turn back toward the village. "Well," she softly speaks to herself, "I’ve come this far, might as well see it through." With that, she replaces the stone into her pouch, slaps her lap, and rises to follow the wolf.

A few more hours pass uneventful and silent. She spends her time admiring the foliage about her. The majestic hardwoods tower so high in the sky that their tops cannot be seen: Their bases so large that perhaps 20 men might encircle them if arms stretched fingertip to fingertip. From time to time, she hears the scampering of unseen creatures and tries to guess by their passage what form they may be: A deer here, a rabbit there, a bird calling its mate above. As she feels the last of her patience flee, they step from the woods into a lush clearing. The sound of rushing water turns her gaze to a waterfall, its journey’s end making a vale of mist. She starts towards the water as if drawn to it then stops, seeing at the shore two women unaware of her presence, one lying upon her back. She looks down, expecting to find the wolf at her side and sees he has continued forward heading straight for the women, unconcerned and determined. Putting on a frown of discontent, she waits, her impatience announced by her slightly tapping foot.

SEVEN
Several hours later, late afternoon by the position of the sun, Rose continues to watch over her sleeping friend, her tears having died with the morning breeze. Once her heart calmed, she had carefully moved to position Sharaya’s head into her lap, caressing her brow in tender attempts of love’s conveyance. As she now watches the sun begin its ritual descent into the horizon, she wonders whether to awaken her friend and begin the journey home. Casually she turns her gaze toward the woods. Upon seeing two figures, one a white wolf, the other clad in a green cloak, Rose gently shakes Sharaya. “Come on sleepyhead, we’ve got company.”

As Sharaya wakes, Rose rises to her feet, curiously observing the newcomers. Cautiously the figure moves further into the waning sunlight a few strides then halts. The white wolf with emerald eyes does not stop next to the figure, but walks purposefully to the two women upon the shore.

*So,* he mind speaks to them both. *Have you no greeting for me?* If one were to look closely, they might see a slight grin creasing the corners of the wolf's snout.

Sharaya, the first to recover descends upon the wolf, eagerly embracing him about his neck.

"Whiteshadow!" she speaks excitedly. "Where have you been? It has been days since we have seen you. And who is this you have brought to us?"

*Easy child,* Whiteshadow chuckles in her mind, *all your questions I will answer shortly. But first I will have my greeting from Rose.* At that he pads over to Rose who kneels upon the ground and gives him a more dignified greeting, placing her hand out to him, palm upwards.

"Well met, mine elder." She speaks respectfully.

Sharaya laughs out. "Oh Rose, don’t go inflating his ego, ‘tis bad enough already." Whiteshadow snorts before replying.

*And you, impertinent child, will never have the manners Rose has in her little finger. It would do you well to follow her example.*

"We've been through this before oh most aged one." Sharaya replies sarcastically. "And we both know that I'm not the child you would make of me for I am only a decade younger than you. Forget not that my kind lives longer than you and most others."

Whiteshadow rolls his eyes, *Yes and I shall never hear the end of it until you put me in my grave. Now will you please put all antics aside and introduce yourselves to my companion.* He turns then and the women remember they have a visitor standing far off looking quite bewildered and a mite irritated.

Sharaya moves toward the guest holding out her hand in formal greeting. "Please forgive our ill manners but we've not seen fur-face in many days." Behind her, a clearly exasperated snort is heard. She ignores it and continues. "I am Sharaya Kai and this…" motioning to Rose, "…is Lady Rose Clairmonte. We welcome you." Standing now a few steps from the visitor Sharaya smiles, her hand still extended.

The guest slowly removes the hood of her green cloak shaking out her long, ebony hair, it glistening in the bright sunlight. Warily she looks upon the two women with deep sapphire eyes that have seen too much sorrow in her apparently young life. Finely chiseled cheekbones set high above a determined square jaw mark her beauty. Her voice as she speaks compares to the soft tones of a wood chime.

"I am Felinia Starpine." She offers no more than that, her trust not yet earned except by the wolf. Nor does she take Sharaya's offered hand.

Whiteshadow moves to her side and nudges her leg gently before looking from her to the offered hand. Felinia sighs and takes the hand firmly yet briefly. Sharaya smiles, "’Tis no need to bully her, Whiteshadow." She chuckles to the wolf. "We have yet to earn her trust and from the look of her it is not something she gives lightly or easily."

Felinia looks down upon the wolf, surprise in her eyes. "You have a name?" she questions. Rose laughs, her musical voice easing some of the tension Felinia feels.

"Yes he has a name, dear." She softly speaks. "I am not surprised he did not tell you it himself for he likes to appear mysterious and strange." Now Felinia looks to Rose, her mouth agape. "Tell me himself? You mean he can talk to me?"

Sharaya glares at Whiteshadow. "You brought her here and have yet to speak to her? Thou art truly a beast and perhaps not so wise." Suddenly Whiteshadow lowers his head and body to the ground looking properly chastised. Softly he mind speaks to all, including Felinia, *I am sorry.*

Having heard him, Felinia drops to the ground shaking her head in amazement. "I don't understand any of this." She begins to speak to herself as if the others were not present. "The old woman, Krystal, was strange enough but now all of this… I just don't know what to make of it." Slowly she puts her head in her hands, suddenly tired and terribly distraught.

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
mobomo12

Can't wait for more

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:51 am 
Allison

Excellent story. I hope you will continue soon!

Alli

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
SharayaKai

Part Eight

At the name of Krystal, Rose’s stomach begins to churn, whether from excitement or dread she is unsure. Her mind flies back in time to a place of turmoil, of times past and persons long dead… or so she thought. ‘Can it truly be her?’ she mentally questions. In her mind, scenes of trepidation replay as if from yesterday…

The East Cottage was quiet that autumn evening, its tenants softly conversing by firelight over mugs of mead. Sha’uri sat at the dining table perusing an ancient tome, seeking answers to her past whilst relating what she knew to Rose and D’Rhane, Rose’s betrothed. “I was raised in the land of Perdruin by a man I thought was my father, but now… At any rate, Perdruin is a land of snow with caves of ice. I found, within one of these caves an ancient, nearly forgotten parchment and began to learn of myself; where I came from… and my lineage.” At that moment, through the front entrance, bustled Krystal Starr, prophetess and Rose’s grandmother. Rose gracefully moved to her, warmly greeting the aging woman. “Mother.”

Krystal smiled, savoring the endearment. Rose grew up believing Krystal to be her mother, until one day the old woman revealed the truth; Sania, queen of Ulgaard, was her true mother, daughter-in-law to Krystal. It had been for Rose’s protection, she knew and understood, but it had taken many months for her temper to allow reason to emerge.

“Good evening, my child.” She extended a hand to D’Rhane, “Son, how dost thou fair this eve?” D’Rhane took her hand and raised it to his lips, placing a respectful kiss he knew would make her blush. “Very well, Mother. We are pleased you could join us for we’ve a friend who has need of your knowledge and wisdom.”

Krystal playfully slapped his arm, all the while blushing from his words; “Flatterer.” She whispered. “A friend you say?” she asked as she turned toward the other presence she felt in the room. Krystal visibly paled as she drew her attention to Sha’uri, who stared agape at Rose.

“You called her… Mother?” Sha’uri stammered uncertainty in her eyes.

Rose, sensing the rising tension, looked from Sha’uri to Krystal and answered, “Yes, she was the only mother I knew until last year. Why, Sha’uri, are you so concerned by this?”

Sha’uri pointed to Krystal, anger rising in her tone. “She used to come to my father, Avonshai; they would speak in hushed tones. I was never permitted to be present, though I admit; she always had a kind word for me, despite his temper towards her.” She looked from Krystal to Rose, her confusion forcing its way to the front, she continued. “Now, after many weeks in this land, searching for the name written upon that parchment, the name of Krystal Starr, prophetess, I find her here, in the home of a dear friend. You, Rose, call this woman Mother, the woman whose name I have cursed since its discovery, for it was she who abandoned me in the wastelands of ‘home’.”

Incredulity clouded Rose’s expression, her thoughts raced as she turned to her ‘mother’, knowing without doubt that Sha’uri spoke truth and wondering what other forms of deceit this woman has committed. Fearfully, with tears forming she asked, “What have you done?”

D’Rhane, having remained quiet throughout the heated exchange simply expressed his support for his betrothed by placing a comforting arm about her waist. His eyes, however, took on a steely gaze, whilst his hand went to the pommel of his dagger, warning Krystal not to harm his beloved. Krystal lowered her head, mindful of the visual warning, but unable to comply. Rose, still watching, asked Krystal, “What does she mean, you abandoned her?”

Krystal sighed heavily and looked to Rose, still within the loving embrace of D’Rhane, and thankful he had remained steady, for Rose would need his strength before the night ended. “Do you remember me telling you how difficult a birth you were?”

“Yes, yes, of course,” Replied Rose, “For years it made me feel guilty.”

“Sha’uri is the reason why. You both fought to come at the same instant, but you Rose won the contest.” She smiled tenderly, lovingly at the two women, hoping their reunion would outweigh the deceptions. Rose quickly covered her mouth completely stunned.

Sha’uri exclaimed, “What?! Rose and I are…” she trailed off in disbelief, for even though the text hinted at a sister, having it confirmed regarding Rose, was another matter. D’Rhane, being a gentleman and concerned for his love’s composure, reached for Rose’s mug of mead and handed it to her, hoping it would help calm the raging emotions he knew she was feeling. She drank of it a bit too quickly and began to cough. Sha’uri stood slowly and approached Rose, kneeling before her, a warm glow encompassing her heart. “First a dear friend, ever helpful, never judging and now I find my sister… I never dared to dream I had family outside Avonshai.”

“Avonshai,” whispered Rose as she reached out to caress Sha’uri’s cheek. Looking to Krystal she asked, “Isn’t that the name of Sania’s brother, my uncle?”

“Yes it is, though the queen does not know of his role in this.” Krystal replies.

“Mother,” began Rose, the endearment too habitual to prevent, even in the force of her anger, “Why were we not raised together? Why deceive your family in this way, for so many years?”

Taking a seat, Krystal steeled herself for the telling. “Upon the day of your births a prophecy was announced, one you two are familiar with,” She pointed to D’Rhane and Rose, “and one you are not.” She pointed to Sha’uri. “The prophecy foretold of Rose’s fate and the need of her constant protection. You, Sha’uri, were destined to be that protection, which is why I spirited you away, hiding your existence until the time was right. Avonshai was to keep you until I called for him, but apparently we both failed to consider your inherent curiosity, though your temerity was well known to us both.”

“Once, twice, thrice… if a fourth… death alone will suffice.” Rose quietly spoke, repeating the words in a whisper; Krystal, not hearing, continued with her tale.

“I had made brief contact with him over the years, in secret of course, for even your parents knew nothing of you Sha’uri for, and please forgive me, both of you; I told them you had died.” Krystal recited with a faraway look in her eyes, as if reliving each moment.

“There must be a reason,” Rose begged of her grandmother.

Krystal nodded, “It all revolves around something that was seen but never spoken of.” Sha’uri, still kneeling before her newfound sister, looked upon her with a feeling of love growing in her heart she never knew before. Rose smiled upon Sha’uri, her features becoming more beautiful by the moment.

“Mother,” questioned Rose, “what could possibly be so devastating that it required us to grow with no knowledge of the other? If she was to be my protector, should she not have remained close?” Tearing her eyes from Sha’uri, Rose glared upon her ‘mother’, the intense feelings of loss overwhelming her. “Why?”

Chagrined Krystal lowered her head before speaking. “I panicked.”

“You What?!” Shouted Rose, having never known her to be so weak.

“I was scared by the vision I had that day, one of Ulgaard in ruins, of my family lying dead all around me.” Krystal began to cry softly. “I had to do something, try to prevent it if I could. Keeping you separated seemed the answer.”

Sha’uri spoke, her voice barely above a whisper, “You took me away from my mother, my sister, because of a dream?”

Outside the wind began to howl, the roof rattled and shutters banged mightily. The fire dimmed briefly as the air leeched from the flue with such force as to nearly suffocate the flames. The door banged open suddenly and standing at the threshold, in all her fury, was Queen Sania.

A wet nose nudging her hand brings Rose back to the present, her companions staring at her curiously. She laughs lightly, breaking the tension. “Forgive me, friends, my mind wandered a moment.” Looking upon Felinia, so distraught and worn, she gathers her skirts and sits before her. Keeping her voice soft and sure she asks, “Felinia, dear, tell us what has you so troubled. Whiteshadow would not have brought you to us if he did not feel it important, for only we know of this place.”

Post Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
SharayaKai

Part Nine

Riding the wind, lazily circling upwards on warm thermals… Looking down, the ground magnified to the eye… A rabbit ventures from under cover of tall grasses… Diving, wings half opened, the ground rising at an incredible rate, the rabbit still centered in sight… Wings folded completely back, talons opened, extended towards the prey… The rabbit looks up, but too late as talons close about its neck, raising the catch into the air with heavy thrusts of wings…

A raucous caw breaks the stillness, shattering the dream and waking the hawk. Shadow blinks rapidly, searching for the intruder when he hears branches breaking nearby. He immediately takes to the air, rising to perch high in a cypress tree whilst scanning the earth below. Beneath him walks a man, dressed in black trousers, boots, and vest. A strange symbol seems to glow upon his chest. He stinks of foul intentions and death. It is nearly twilight and the man seems to follow the tracks left by his companions earlier in the day.

Another caw and the raven Shadow warned off earlier, comes to land upon the man’s now outstretched arm. They stare into each other’s eyes for a moment, then the man throws the bird back to the wind and it heads southward in a circling pattern, as if looking for something… or someone. With foreboding, Shadow, as silently as he can, takes wing and flies westerly. He stretches his mind, calling out to the white wolf, *Mac tíre! Danger comes! Look and see!* He sends an image of the man to the beast. *Seachain! Marfóir!*

The waterfall’s continuous cascade orchestrates the tale Felinia shares with the women and wolf, starting with her entrance into the unfamiliar village. The wolf’s head snaps up and turns to the east as he hears the hawk’s warning. Growling he startles the women and leaps from their midst, heading for the man lurking in the distance. *To safety!* is all he spares them.

Sharaya, never one to run, pulls her dagger from its sheath and takes after the wolf. “Don’t take all the fun, Fur-face!”

Seeing Felinia start to rise and draw her weapon as well, Rose reaches out to grab her wrist. “No.” she whispers. “Let them handle whatever it is. Trust them.” Rising, she pulls Felinia to her feet and beckons her to follow Rose back towards the waterfall. Treading the perimeter of the pool, Rose stops them near a lilac bush that clings to the rocky edifice. Pulling back some branches, she reveals a hidden cavern and motions Felinia forward into its darkened embrace. She turns to watch the fleeting back of Sharaya, her long platinum hair billowing behind her as she races after the wolf. Be safe, my friend. She thinks, willing the woman to feel her support as she turns back to follow Felinia into the cave.

Sharaya’s heart pounds thunderously in her chest as she gracefully bounds after Whiteshadow with the elegance of a deer. She has her elfin ancestry to thank for the way she runs silently through the underbrush. Easily she keeps pace with the wolf as she mentally calls to Shadow.

*Where?* she asks simply and is rewarded with a bird’s eye view of the intruder making his way towards them. Her vision shifts as the hawk brings the raven into focus, the bird’s anger building into rage. *Get him.* she sends and the hawk dives, releasing Sharaya from the visual union.

Within moments, the pair approaches the area of interest and with the habit of many years fighting together; they veer off in opposite directions to surround the man. She crouches low, her keen sense of hearing picking up his heavy footfalls to her right. She stops behind a large fern and waits for him to come into view. His eyes scan left and right, his hand holding forth a bronze sword, ready for a fight. She wonders who he is and why he dares venture onto HER sacred ground. A growl pierces the tension as Whiteshadow moves to distract the man, causing him to turn his back to Sharaya. She creeps forward, minding the placement of her feet, silence being her ally. The man lunges for the wolf that moves quickly aside, striking the sword arm with his teeth. The man howls in pain as Sharaya reaches his back, grabbing his neck and placing her dagger at his throat.

“Hold.” She commands and he stills, dropping the sword. “Who are you?” she growls. The man laughs an evil sound to her ears and thrusts his elbow backwards, catching Sharaya in the ribs. Her grip loosens and he twists away, a knife suddenly in his hand. Warily he backs away, keeping both defenders in his view. His dark locks hang over his eyes, obscuring his intent from Sharaya. Whiteshadow continues growling while attempting to get around the man gauging his attack carefully.

“Who are you?” Sharaya asks again.

“Death.” He says, his gravelly voice echoing in the quiet. His arm twitches and a hidden knife flies for the wolf’s heart. Whiteshadow dodges, but the blade grazes his side causing a howl of pain. Sharaya sees red begin to cover the white coat and no longer caring for this man’s purpose, throws her dagger with furious accuracy, embedding itself in the man’s chest. Dumbly he stares down upon the ruby hilt then falls to his knees laughing. Shaken by the sound, Sharaya leaps upon the man, not caring about the dagger he still holds in his other hand and hits him across the face. His eyes roll back into his head, death claiming him, but Sharaya only feels rage, continuing her assault upon his lifeless body until Whiteshadow staggers over to her, nudging her back. She pauses, looks to her mentor and clarity returns. She wraps her arms about his neck as tears flow freely. She checks the cut and is relieved to see it is shallow at best.

“Let’s take him back to Rose.” She says, and pulls her dagger from his chest. After wiping it clean and returning it to its sheath, she hefts the man over her shoulder, careless of the blood dripping down her back from the hole in his chest. As the pair begin to retrace their steps, a screech above draws their attention. The red-tailed hawk, Shadow, descends, within his talons the lifeless raven. *Home.* she tells the hawk who wheels about heading for the waterfall his prize safe in his strong grip.

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:33 am 
SharayaKai

Part Ten

Once inside the cavern, Rose lowers the branches back into their concealing position. Removing striker and flint from a nook nearby, she steps to a wall sconce and lights the torch, illuminating the dark interior. Taking the torch in hand, she moves to four others lining the walls and lights them. Felinia can clearly see that this cavern is more than just a retreat, but a makeshift home.

The cavern’s ceiling looks to be fourteen feet from the floor. The chamber they stand in is quite large with what seems to her a hallway leading further back into the cave, its distance unknown in the firelight. There lies upon the earthen floor an ornamental rug that she feels would be more suited hanging from the wall of a palace. It seems an old tapestry depicting a scene of struggle and bloodshed. There is also a rectangular table with stools sitting in the center of the tapestry-rug. Looking around more, she is amazed by the small fireplace opposite the cavern’s entrance. It is there that Rose has seated herself.

“What is this place?” Felinia asks of Rose, the wonder clear in her voice.

Smiling Rose gestures around the chamber, “This is my home away from home, for reasons I cannot go into… at this time. Please, dear, come sit by me and we will continue our talk.”

Resigned, Felinia sits upon one of the stools surrounding the table and faces Rose. “Who are you?” she asks. “I mean other than your name.”

Rose cants her head to one side, studying the woman so recently incorporated into her life. “You must have patience, with me child. I do not readily discuss myself with others. However, I shall tell you that I was born in Ulgaard and for reasons of protection, live here when I am not there. Any more information than that you must wait upon for the return of my companions.”

“If you are so secretive about yourself, why then are you interested in helping me? You have no knowledge of me, no reason that I can discern for giving aid… unless I have something you want.” The sudden thought of yet another soul using her, forces her to stand, hand immediately goes to the hilt of her dagger.

Rose, ever patient, tenderly smiles a soft chuckle escaping her lips. “Please, Felinia, you must trust me. I know you have little reason to, but I say again, Whiteshadow would not have brought you to us without cause. There is nothing, I am sure, I can gain from you, however, there may be much you may gain from us. Will you at least complete your tale so that I may know how it is I can assist you?”

“What of the others? Shouldn’t we wait for them?” Felinia asks, looking toward the cave’s entrance as she calmly retakes her seat.

“They will be along shortly and they trust my decisions without question. Now, dear, enough stalling, tell me how it was you encountered this Krystal.” Rose’s heart skips a beat at the utterance of the name that haunts her dreams.

“She found me.” Felinia begins after a moment of silence. “We entered a hovel where she gave me sustenance and this cloak I now wear. Then she sent me on my way.” She did not feel it necessary to relay all that was spoken of. “Afterwards I stumbled into a small cave outside of the village and slept, for I was extremely weary. It was upon waking that I met the wolf and he led me here.” She pulls the stopper from her water skin and takes a long draught from it. She looks anxiously at Rose, the firelight from the torches dancing across her features.

Rose watches the woman, her instincts sensing that she left out pertinent details, but patient enough to wait her out. “Krystal… tell me about her.”

Felinia thinks back to her encounter with the strange woman and begins to relay the image in her mind. “She had long silver hair, tied in a thick braid which hung down her back to her waist. Her eyes were quite piercing, almost soul-searching, and near emerald in color, though the flickering of the hearth light seemed to change them. She was bent over when she walked and her hands were strong, yet very aged. Her voice when she first spoke was gravelly, yet when she spoke her name, I thought I heard distant chimes it lilted so. She was very kind, yet commanding in her tone. I felt it disrespectful to contradict her or refuse anything she offered. She took my rag of a cloak and gave me this luscious one in its stead. That’s all I can offer.”

Rose laughs, “All you can offer? My dear that was quite enough and very descriptive for such a brief meeting. Were you or are you a traveling bard by trade?” her laughing eyes shining, seemingly brighter than the flames and Felinia warms to them, laughing for the first time in ages.

“Aye, my memory is quite good, but I have never applied myself to the duties of bard. Perhaps, once my quest is finished, I can reconsider my future occupation.” Felinia momentary thinks, That is, if I survive.

“And what, child, is thy quest?” Rose asks, her own heart in turmoil as she realizes from Felinia’s description that Krystal is indeed the woman she once called Mother. She schools her outward appearance to give no indication of this discovery and waits upon Felinia to relay, or not, her intentions.

Before Felinia can even decide what, if anything to reveal, a shuffling outside the cavern silences her and brings the family dagger into her hand instantly. Rose, once more stretches forth her hand to ease the woman’s tension as she whistles the call of the lark. She is answered with a red-throated tanager.

“All is well.” Rose tells Felinia as she rises, moving toward the entrance, and beckoning Felinia to follow. Outside, she surveys her friends, relief flooding her until she sees Sharaya covered in blood. Rushing to her, tears brimming, she is forestalled from embracing the elf as Sharaya holds her hands up, warding her off.

“Wait until I’ve changed. Worry not Rose, this is not my blood, but his.” She kicks the dead man lying at her feet. “However, Fur-face wasn’t so lucky and requires your healing hands.”

Rose gasps and looks to the wolf, lying near the pool. *Do not fret. It is but a scratch.* “I’ll be the judge of that.” She avers while moving to his side.

During this exchange, Felinia moves to the body before her, seeing that he is another assassin. Looking up into Sharaya’s amethyst eyes she questions, “What have I done to gain Death as a companion?”

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:12 pm 
Allison

Great add Shara. Write when you can. Beautiful story!

Alli

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
mayday31

more soon?

I hope you will have time to add more soon, I really enjoyed this.

As for feedback all I can say is a couple of times I found the turn of phrase hard to follow, and the conversations had me mixing up who the speaker was (usually resolved by re-reading a little closer).

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:37 am 
SharayaKai

quote:
Originally posted by mayday31:
I hope you will have time to add more soon, I really enjoyed this.

As for feedback all I can say is a couple of times I found the turn of phrase hard to follow, and the conversations had me mixing up who the speaker was (usually resolved by re-reading a little closer).

Thank you for your feedback. I will endeavor to make the conversations more easy to read. I'm glad you enjoyed my story Mayday, I hope to have the next addition ready soon.

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:47 am 
SharayaKai

Under revision

For those who have been enjoying this story, I thank you for your feedback and critiques. They have been helpful. I now must inform you that this story is undergoing some serious revisions. Having read it over and over, struggling with aspects of it that bothered me relentlessly, I am pulling it, so to speak, and completely rewriting it. Some parts will remain virtually untouched, however, there will be character changes and plot revisions. I hope you all will enjoy the newer version which I hope to finally tag with a title.

When it's ready for posting, I'll tack a reply to this thread letting you all know what to look for. Again, my love and thanks to all.

SharayaKai

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:27 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: