BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Jade (Rough Chapter Seven)

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Jade (Rough Chapter Seven)

Chapter Seven

Renee had been quiet since Jade had almost ambushed her own brother and his scouts. She had thought Nightshade handsome with his steady smile and the sureness in the way he carried himself. She was very pleased to see and hear how much he cared for his sister.
{Your brother cares a great deal about you,} Renee told Jade.
{Yes he does. We are very close,} Jade replied.
{Dew will be very lucky and it seems to me that he genuinely cares for her,} Renee said.
{He does seem to care for her a lot and she seems to care for him,} Jade said.
{And you…the matchmaking meddler between Willow and Aspen…never knew about them did you?} Renee said and Jade could hear mirth in the words and then it dawned on her and she looked at Dew.
“How is it that I never knew about you and Nightshade?” Jade said with a curious look on her face.
“He said you are always trying to find him a mate and he liked pestering you about it. He said you had just about run through every female in the forest and was not going to tell you until you tried to set him up with me,” Dew said with a chuckle and smile at the bewildered look on Jades face.
“Oh, you just wait…I will get him for this,” Jade said with a devious smile.
{So you do play matchmaker everywhere you go huh?} Renee said.
{Humph…I will get him for this,} Jade replied.
{I am sure you will. Now how long until we get to this Great Valley place?} Renee asked.
{It is the Deep Valley and we should be there around midday tomorrow or a little later,} Jade replied

XXXXXXXXXX

After setting up camp overlooking the Deep Valley Jade was walking down to a nearby stream when Willow called out to her and asked where she was going.
“We are going down to the stream,” Jade replied then added, “would you like to join us?”
“I might a little later,” Willow said as she watched Jade turn back toward the stream. Willow walked back to camp and found Nightwind.
“Have you noticed anything strange about Jade the past few days?” Willow asked Nightwind.
“What do you mean by strange?” Nightwind asked.
“Well…the way she talks of herself. Instead of saying I she says we. Like just now I asked her where she was going and she said…we are going down to the stream but there was no other Elf with her…she was alone,” Willow said.
“That would sound strange if it was any other Elf but it does not sound strange coming from Jade,” Nightwind said and received an odd look from Willow.
“What do you mean?” Willow asked.
“I think what Nightwind means is that Jade is never truly alone,” Greenleaf said from nearby.
“What…ohhh yes I keep forgetting about Renee,” Willow said shaking her head.
“Yes and I doubt that Jade even knows she is talking like that,” Nightwind added as Aspen joined them.
“Greetings Aspen,” Willow said as he sat on a nearby log.
“Greeting Willow…do you know where Jade is?” Aspen asked.
“She is down at the stream,” Willow replied.
“Would you mind going to get her for me,” Aspen said.
“I don’t mind…but what do you need her for?” Willow asked.
“Tell her I would like to discuss the ambush with her,” Aspen said then watched as Willow went to get Jade.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade walked back into the camp with Willow at her side. She looked around at all the scouts checking their gear or getting some needed rest. She joined Aspen who was talking with Nightwind and Greenleaf. Wind was sitting nearby checking her bow.
“Greetings Aspen, Willow said you wanted to discuss the ambush?” Jade said questioningly and Aspen nodded.
“I thought we had already gone over it with Hawk and Nightshade,” Jade said.
“Yes we did but now that we are here and have a more complete idea of the lay of the area it would be best to know exactly where everyone will be and what they will be doing and perhaps even set a few groups of scouts in some different locations,” Aspen said.
“What do you have in mind?” Jade asked as she sat close to Nightwind.
Jade and the others listened as Aspen went over the plans and while it all sounded very good to her something seemed wrong as well but she could not put her finger on it. She started to ask some questions when Nightwind shook her head and spoke.
“This is not good.” Nightwind said and looked at Aspen, “I am not saying that your plan is not good for taking care of the reinforcements because it is…once they get here and as long as the Anid army near Shadow Lake is under control. The key to all of this is as we have already discussed. Slowing down the reinforcements long enough for Lightning to lead the Anid into the trap and take care of them.” Nightwind said.
“We know that Nightwind,” Hawk said, “that is why we are counting on you, Jade, Dew and the scouts going with you to slow the reinforcements down long enough for us to handle the Anid that are here before the reinforcements get here.”
“We are also going to send another five hundred scouts with you,” Aspen added.
“So it will be two thousand against…who knows how many,” Jade said.
“About a hundred thousand,” Dew replied
“Seems like fair odds,” Nightwind said with a slight smile.
“Fair or not if you do not slow them down we are all dead,” Hawk said.
“We will leave at sunrise,” Jade said

XXXXXXXXXX

The sun was just above the horizon as Willow stood facing Aspen.
“You could stay here, you don’t have to go,” Aspen said.
“I know, Jade said I could stay but I feel I have to go,” Willow said.
“Willow I love you and I want you here with me,” Aspen pleaded.
“I know, In my heart I want to stay…,” Willow started saying.
“But?” Aspen said cutting her off.
“But for some reason I can’t explain I know I must go,” Willow then reached up and kissed him full on the lips and left him standing there as she walked away to join Jade.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade and her force of two thousand scouts moved as fast as they could to intercept the Anid reinforcements. Through the day and night they kept moving only stopping to rest a short while and eat then they were back on the move. Jade finally stopped well after dark two days after leaving the Deep Valley and let the scouts eat and sleep but as soon as the sun rose above the horizon they were once again on their way. Jade kept the same grueling pace until they were past the Birchwood’s and into the hills beyond were they set up camp near a grove of fruit trees ripe for the taking. As the scouts set up camp and enjoyed the fresh fruit Nightwind along with Dew set out to locate the advancing Anid.
The next morning Jade was worried when Nightwind and Dew had not returned and at mid morning she could not wait anymore and ordered the scouts to break camp.
“We are not just going to leave them are we?” Sage, a scout from clan Silvertip asked.
“We should have left already since we will be going in the same direction they did,” Jade replied then added, “send a couple of scouts out ahead, we don’t want any surprises,” Jade said and gathered her pack.
They moved through the hills carefully with some scouts rotating in and out constantly in all directions to avoid running into the Anid unknowingly. Near dark they stopped to make camp. One of the scouts on watch spotted Dew and Nightwind coming over a nearby hill. When they arrived in camp Jade was waiting for them and the news they brought about the location of the Anid.
“So you think they will be about where we are now at sunset tomorrow?” Jade asked.
“If not here they will be close and they are moving a little slower than I expected but not much slower. I think it has to do with the size of their army and supply train,” Dew said.
“We can’t let them know we are here. Nightwind what do you think?” Jade asked.
“I think we should pull back a ways covering our tracks very thoroughly then after they make camp tomorrow night we hit them, then run,” Nightwind said.
“That is kind of what I was thinking but we hit them with arrows only and no direct contact yet if it can be avoided,” Jade said.
“If we find them scattered in small camps that we can overrun, I think we should do it,” Nightwind said.
“If they camp in clusters far enough apart we could do that,” Dew said looking at Jade.
{If you can destroy enough of their supplies they will have to stop and re-supply,} Renee told Jade.
{What?} Jade asked.
{I am not a tactician but if you destroy enough of their supplies they will have to stop and gather more supplies. Like water and food. You could use your arrow attacks or a direct attack like Dew was saying and use that as a diversion while others move around to attack the supplies,} Renee explained.
{That sounds good…what is a tactician?} Jade asked and Renee said she would explain that later. Jade went on and explained what Renee had told her and it was agreed that if possible they would destroy the supplies.

XXXXXXXXXX

The next morning Jade and Nightwind pulled their forces back the way they had came making sure that any evidence they were ever there was wiped away. Dew and Willow stayed to keep a lookout for the Anid. Dew sat at the top of a hill looking in the direction the Anid would be coming from. She knew it would be a long wait but continued to scan the hills and the horizon beyond. There was nothing to see but green trees and rolling hills, rocky slopes and hills so high they looked like miniature mountain ranges in far distance. Looking back at Willow she asked her if she had a shield stone.
“Yes, Jade gave me and Wind each one after we killed that creature back in the Alarian Forest. She said she did not give them to us before the attack because it took time to make,” Willow said.
“She was not lying. It generally takes a couple of days to spell one correctly,” Dew replied.
Dew was curious about the Alarian Forest and she began asking Willow questions just as the Alarian Elves had asked Jade when they found out where she had come from but Willow also asked many questions of her own. Willow told Dew about the time she had spent as a mercenary and “procurer of goods” in the human cities and Dew became very interested since she had heard of humans but had never seen one. Willow told her all she knew about the humans.
“They are very strange. You said they never live more than sixty or seventy years?” Dew said.
“Yes they are strange and it is true they have very short lives and that is a good thing,” Willow said with a matter of fact look on her face.
“I can’t imagine that being a good thing,” Dew said.
“It is because they have babies like rabbits,” Willow replied shaking her head.
Near dark as they kept watch for the Anid Willow heard a noise in the distance and looked at Dew.
“Did you hear that?” Willow asked but Dew did not answer aloud. She signaled that she was going to climb the tree for a better look and Willow climbed up next to her. They watched the distant hills and saw thousands of Anid pouring over them. They watched as they got closer and closer.
“We should move back until we are sure they have stopped for the night,” Willow said and Dew agree as they climbed down the tree. They kept watch on the Anid until they finally stopped and made camp for the night.
“It looks like they are staying put for the night,” Dew said.
“It looks like it. Why don’t you go back and let Jade know. I’ll stay here and locate all of the night watch and where they put the supplies,” Willow said.
“Ok, just don’t get caught,” Dew said and received a smile from Willow.
“I never do,” Willow said keeping her smile.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade was walking through camp with Nightwind when a scout brought Dew to see them. Jade looked around expecting to see Willow also.
“Where is Willow? Is she ok?” Jade asked with a concerned look on her face.
“She’s fine. She stayed behind to see where the Anid set their watches for the night,” Dew replied.
“That was a good idea,” Nightwind said.
“They camped in a perfect spot for us to attack them,” Dew said.
“What is the area like where they camped?” Jade asked.
Dew explained in detail what the area was like where the Anid had camped and that she thought they could get into position unnoticed. After a brief discussion with Nightwind and Dew about possible strategies for an attack it was settled and they would stick with the original plan from the night before and attack their supplies while taking out as many Anid as possible in the process.

XXXXXXXXXX

Willow watched as the Anid posted their night watch then she circled the camp three times noting the location of each in her mind then she headed off to meet with Jade and the other scouts. On her way back to camp she saw movement ahead of her and ducked behind a tree. She kept close watch on the moving figures until she saw something that told her who they were. She saw the bright mane of Nightwinds hair.
“Nightwind, over here,” Willow said in a low voice as she stepped from behind the tree.
“Where are the others?” Willow asked as she stepped close to Nightwind.
“They are coming. Me and Jade and a few others are just scouting ahead,” Nightwind replied and signaled Jade who came over to meet with them.
“Willow it is good you’re safe. What did you find out?” Jade said as she stood with her friends.
As they rejoined the other scouts Willow explained how the Anid had set up their camp. She told them where the night watches were positioned and where the supplies were. Once they had rejoined the other scouts Nightwind called a halt and they all stopped and prepared for the attack as Willow took a stick and drew out a map of the Anid camp in the dirt. She pointed out where the supplies appeared to be and were each night watch was posted. It was agreed that Willow would take a group of scouts and eliminate the night watch then Nightwind and Jade would each take a few hundred scouts and create a diversion while Dew would take the main force and destroy the supplies.
Near midnight word came back to Jade that all was ready and the night watch had been eliminated.
{Now we do it,} a familiar voice said to Jade.
{Yes, now we do it and by the Earth Mother pray all goes well,} Jade replied as she felt the threads of power stream into her body.
{Is he here?} Renee asked and Jade knew she meant…Kerrah.
{No, I don’t think he is. For some strange reason I think I would know it,} Jade replied as she stood and reached her arm out toward the camp.

XXXXXXXXXX

As the green magefire engulfed a dozen Anid and several tents Willow shouted for her scouts to attack and they rushed over the hill and let their arrows fly one after another as fast as they could. As Willow moved and fired her arrows she could see several bolts of magefire streak toward the camp below. Just as she fired an arrow and moved to fire another she saw a blue bolt streak past her to engulf a bush turning it to ashes in an instant. When it appeared the Anid were becoming organized for a counterattack Willow saw two streaks of green rise high into the sky…the signal to retreat.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade sent two bolts of magefire into the sky to signal all the scouts to retreat back to safety. Jade watched as her scouts began to pull back but she waited until she was sure Nightwind and Willow did the same before she followed her scouts.
{He is not here is he,} Renee asked Jade.
{No, I could not see him and besides I have no idea what he looks like anyway,} Jade replied.
{I would think he would kind of stand out,} Renee said sarcastically.
{Maybe we will find him the next time…if he is here but I doubt he is since he cannot use his own magic inside our forest,} Jade said as she led her scouts back toward the caprock, a predetermined rendezvous point for all the scouts.

XXXXXXXXXX

Shortly after sunrise Nightwind and her scouts reached the caprock and before she could post lookouts Willow and her scouts arrived. As the sun continued to make its way into the sky…Jade was nowhere to be seen. Willow was getting worried about her friend as she stood at the edge of camp looking back in the direction they had came. Nightwind joined her there.
“Any sign of her?” Nightwind asked.
“No, not that I can see,” Willow replied with a concerned look on her face.
“If she is not here by midday we will go look for her,” Nightwind said.
Willow was about to reply when she saw movement on a distant hill.
“I don’t think that will be necessary,” Willow said pointing toward Jade and her scouts.
“About time,” Nightwind said with an unusually bright smile on her face as she and Willow ran out to meet their friend.
After a brief welcoming Jade had to explain the delay to her friends. She told them how the Anid had organized a pursuit. She explained how she and the scouts had to double back around the Anid camp to lose them.
“…and we hid out until we were sure it was safe to come here and I don’t think they are far behind us.” Jade explained.
“What are we going to do now?” Willow asked.
“We should move on and stay ahead of them,” Nightwind said.
“Yes we should and when they camp again we do the same thing and keep doing it. We have to slow them down,” Jade said.

XXXXXXXXXX

Before moving far enough ahead of the Anid to ensure they would not be detected Jade left two scouts behind to see where the Anid stopped for the night. Having no or little sleep for several days Jade and her scouts were glad when they finally stopped. Most did not even bother to set a tent or unroll their bedrolls before laying down to sleep. Nightwind made sure guards were posted who would not fall asleep until relieved.
Darkness was just settling in when Sage and Hemlock, the scouts Jade had left behind, were led into camp by one of the guards. Nightwind seeing them coming into camp sent a scout to get Jade and Willow.
When all were present Sage gave a detailed description of where the Anid had camped then Hemlock reported the locations of all the guards that were posted.
“From the description of the area that Sage gave it seems the southern end of the camp will be to open for us to attack and that looks more like a trap than anything so I think we should attack them from the North, East and West this time,” Nightwind said and Jade agreed looking at the map Sage had drawn under the green glow of her hand.
“Where should we meet afterwards?” Willow asked.
“There was a place we passed about a day from here. Three boulders sitting on top of a hill next to several large oak trees. I think that would be a good place,” Dew said.
“Does everyone remember the place?” Jade asked the leaders of the group. All indicated they knew were it was and how to get there. “Then that is were we will meet.”

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade stopped with the Anid camp in sight. As before Jade was about to send Willow and her group of scouts to take care of the Anid guards when Dew came running up to her.
“Jade, they have a scouting party out searching the area,” Dew told Jade in her squeaky voice.
“How many?” Jade asked.
“Close to twenty from what I could see,” Dew replied.
“We need to get rid of them,” Nightwind said.
“I know,” Jade said looking around as she thought about who to send.
“Nightwind take Dew and some of your scouts and take care of them. Let us know when it’s clear. Willow as soon as Nightwind has taken care of the scouting party you move in and take out the guards,” Jade said.
As soon as Nightwind and Willow returned it was time to cause the Anid a little more havoc. Everything went off almost exactly as it had before. The Elves killed as many Anid as they could while destroying as much of the Anid's supplies as possible before having to retreat. By sunrise they had all met at the predetermined location and began preparations for the next attack and over the next two days they continued with the attacks. At night they would go in and take out the ever increasing guards and night patrols before hitting the supplies.
“It seems to be working. They are only making about half the distance in a day as they were,” Dew said as they planned the next attack.
“A couple of more days and we can be sure they will not make it to the Deep Valley before Hawk and Lightning are ready for them,” Nightwind said
{Tell them,} The voice inside Jades head said.
{You have had me tell them several times already and we have checked. There is no sign that any of those creatures are here,} Jade told Renee.
“They are tightening up more and more. After the attack tonight we should probably move back to the Birchwoods. It is about a day and a half from here,” Dew said.
“We have let them know they are not going to march through our forest without a fight. That will slow them down as well as make them more cautious,” Jade said
“They will have scouts out looking for us and mages trying to find where we are,” Nightwind added.
“Ok then, after tonight we move back to the Birchwoods,” Jade said with agreement all around.
{Then we go after Kerrah?} Renee asked Jade.
{As soon as we are sure we have slowed the Anid down enough for Hawks plan to work. Then we will go after Kerrah. Ok?} Jade told Renee and waited for a reply but there was none. {Well?}
{Alright…but you promise,} Renee replied with deliberate slowness.
{I promise now unless you have something else you want to talk about please stop giving me a headache,} Jade said calmly and with a slight smile.
{I’m sorry…I just…never mind,} Renee said.
{Renee if something is wrong tell me. Are you starting to feel a little cramped in there?} Jade said feeling that something was bothering Renee.
{In a way I do feel cramped,} Renee said.
{What can I do to help,} Jade said and instantly knew what Renee would say.
{Would you mind letting me out for a while,} Renee asked. Jade thought for a moment before replying.
{Yes I would mind but since it is no fault of ours that you are here and I have some idea of what it is like for you after the attack tonight we will trade places until we reach the Birchwoods. Is that ok?} Jade told Renee.
{Thank you very much,} Renee said and Jade could feel Renee’s relief.
{We will warn the others before we switch,} Jade said.

XXXXXXXXXX

Renee had been sharing Jades body for so long that she almost felt as if she were a natural part of Jade herself. She had taken control of Jades body a few times before with one of those times being my shear force. Now for the first time in what seemed almost an eternity she could once again feel the breeze upon her face and smell the scent of the forest as she took a deep breath and smiled.
{Don’t get to comfortable,} Jade warned as they headed out toward the Birchwoods.
{Don’t worry. You have a wonderful body but remember I have one of my own,} Renee replied still smiling and relishing in the feeling of being alive. {You know something Jade I never really thought about how wonderful it is to just be alive.}
{I’m beginning to understand what you mean,} Jade told her.
{Remember that feeling I have been having,} Renee said suddenly and seriously.
{About the creatures?} Jade asked.
{Yeah…that feeling is much stronger now,} Renee said looking around and seeing nothing unusual.
{We have searched for them and haven’t found any,} Jade replied.
{I know but I also know to trust my feelings and I feel them…somehow I feel them. Jade I know they are here and knowing that without knowing where makes it even more important we find them…before they find us or worse for you…before they find Hawk and Lightning,} Renee told her and fell silent for the rest of the day and enjoyed the scent of the forest and the feeling of the breeze through her hair…‘well through Jades hair’…she thought to herself.
{Do you still have that feeling?} Jade asked Renee.
{Even stronger than before,} Renee replied. {I was thinking about asking Nightwind to go look for them with me.}
{That would not be a bad Idea…but if she goes she should take some mages with her but we stay here since the stone is likely the only thing keeping them from finding us…if they are even in the forest,} Jade said.
“Nightwind…” Renee said getting Nightwinds attention.
“Yes,” Nightwind replied and Renee could almost feel the ice in the white haired Elves voice.
“I still think it is odd that we have not seen any of those creatures here,” Renee said.
“We have talked about this before and even searched for them and they are nowhere to be found,” Nightwind replied.
“I know and if they are not here then where are they. That is a huge army back there and they have tens of thousands of scouts and who knows how many mages so where are those creatures?” Renee asked
“Maybe there are no more of them,” Nightwind replied getting an unpleasant look from Renee.
“What are you two talking about?” Willow asked as she joined them.
“Those creatures like the one that was killed in our forest,” Nightwind said.
“We have not seen or detected any with that army behind us and that worries me,” Willow heard Renee say in a voice to sweet and musical to be Jades.
“Maybe they are not there,” Willow said.
“I believe they are. I know if I had a weapon as powerful as that…I would not leave it behind,” Renee said.
“Didn’t Jade know about it before…the one we killed,” Willow said.
“Yes she knew, but only because it wanted her to know and that is the only reason Nightwind could feel it’s presence then too…it was mocking us and wanted us to know it was going to kill us,” Renee said.
“What are you saying Renee?” Nightwind said calmly. “Are you saying there are some of those creatures out there hunting us.”
“I don’t know if they are hunting us or not but I can’t shake the feeling they are there,” Renee said.
{I believe you,} Jade told Renee.
“I have searched many times as have almost all the mages with us including Jade and we have not detected any here. I also have this feeling that something is not right but I can’t say it has anything to do with any creature…” Nightwind suddenly stopped what she was saying and thought for a moment. It was true the creature in the Alarian forest had wanted them to know it was there and they had never known until it let them know. For some reason she knew Renee was right and besides it was better safe than dead.
“Maybe this one or more than one is not stupid enough to makes it’s presence known like the other one was. We have searched for them with magic but not with our eyes,” Renee said as she looked at Nightwind who appeared in deep thought.
“We will have to actually look for them. If they don’t want us to find them magically we never will. With enough of us we should be able to shield from them or if we have the stone with us which means you with us…but either way we are going to have to look for them,” Nightwind said.
{I have an idea. We will be at the Birchwoods around midday tomorrow…} Jade told Renee her Idea.
“Jade has an idea. She said that we should be at the Birchwoods about midday tomorrow. She wants you to take ten to twelve mages and a few scouts and look around the area and scout out the Anid army again. We are confident they are not with them or close around them but they have to be somewhere close to them if they are even here,” Renee said.
“I will take some mages and scouts and we will look for them. We will leave at sunrise and meet you at the Birchwoods as soon as we can,” Nightwind said.

XXXXXXXXXX

Nightwind and her party left camp just before sunrise but she was still not sure they would find any of the creatures roaming around the forest but like she had said, “better safe than dead”. Nightwind made sure each of them had a shield stone in order to make it easier for the mages to keep them shielded from the Anid mages since Jade and Kerrah’s stone would not be with them.
It took them almost all of two days to find the Anid who were still moving slow and cautious with scouting parties fanning out all around them making it difficult to get close and even harder to scout around them without being seen. They circled the Anid twice without any sign of the creatures. After the second trip around the Anid, Nightwind stopped her party behind a hill and crawled on her belly to the top and watched as the Anid slowly passed below. Dew slipped up beside her to watch.
“If they are out there they’re somewhere else because I don’t see anything like you described,” Dew said as they watched the Anid pass by.
“Where else could they be,” Nightwind whispered to herself then looked at Dew, “After they have passed by we will check their back trail and see what we can find.” Then they slipped back down the hill and joined the others
“We will wait here until they have passed by then we are going to check their back trail before going back to the Birchwoods. Remember no using any magic except to shield us from them unless I say so,” Nightwind told them.

XXXXXXXXXX

After the Anid passed Nightwind and her companions set out to follow their back trail. They stayed in the hills as much as they could to avoid being seen. It was well past midday when Dew suddenly stopped and pointed toward the horizon.
“I see something moving there,” Dew said
“What is it,” One of the other scouts asked.
“I couldn’t tell,” Dew said.
“Lets get closer and stay out of sight,” Nightwind said.
Dew led them closer staying in the hills or behind them until they were close enough to distinguish who or what the figures were that she had seen. Then Nightwind peeked over a hill and saw them moving by just a few hundred paces away. For the second time in her life Nightwind knew what true fear was. Nightwind took a few deep breaths to bring herself back under control then looked over her shoulder at Dew.
“We are going to need help and a lot of it,” Nightwind whispered to Dew. Dew looked at her questioningly then slipped up to look for herself.
“Are those the creatures we’ve heard about?” Dew asked as she watched them move out of sight over the next hill.
“Yes and they are every bit as dangerous as you were told,” Nightwind said.
“There is something else you need to know,” Dew said.
“What?”
“They are not following the same path as the Anid. If they keep going the way they are it will put them well behind Lightning and Hawk,” Dew told her.
“What are we going to do?” One of the mages asked.
“There is nothing we can do now. There are not enough of us to stop them or even slow them down. We need a lot of help and the nearest is in the Birchwoods,” Nightwind said.
Nightwind pushed her group as hard as she could as they ran all night passing the Anid camp on their way. As the sun was moving toward the horizon the next day she was sitting by a fire telling Jade and Willow what they had found.
“I counted at least fifty maybe sixty of those creatures along with several mages and about a hundred scouts,” Nightwind said
“There was also at least one priest,” Dew added.
“Priest?” Willow asked.
“A priest is one of Kerrah's most powerful mages,” Jade said. Renee had in keeping her promise given control of Jades body back to her once they reached the Birchwoods.
“That’s not all Jade,” Dew said looking at Jade, “They are not coming this way and if they stick to the direction it looked like they were going they will end up behind Lightning and Hawk.”
“Any ideas?” Jade asked.
“It looks like we have slowed the Anid down enough to give Lightning and Hawk the time they need,” Nightwind said.
“To be honest I don’t think it would matter much because we have to stop those creatures or it’s over because while we were planning a trap for them it looks like they had one of their own in work,” Willow said.
“I hate leaving such a good ambush site,” Jade said then looked at Dew, “Dew if the Anid were to go back to their original pace how long would it take them to get to the Deep Valley?” Jade asked.
“About eight maybe nine days,” Dew replied.
“That’s plenty of time for Hawks plan to work as long as we can stop or slow those creatures down,” Jade said.
“There will be no slowing them down. It will be either kill them all or be killed by them,” Nightwind said in her normal cold unfeeling voice.
“Nightwinds right they will stop at nothing,” Willow said
“Where would be the best place to set an ambush for those creatures?” Nightwind asked Jade.
“Eagles Nest would be a good place. What do you think Dew?” Jade said.
“From the direction they are going it looks like they will be going through that area,” Dew replied.
“Where is this Eagles Nest at?” Nightwind asked then watched as Dew took a stick and drew out a map in the dirt.
“This is the Bright River and these two streams that flow down from the hills and feed into it are the Shining and the Roaring. The Shining is the one nearest to us. The Eagles Nest is at the fork of those streams,” Dew said.
“How long will it take us to get there?” Willow asked.
“About two days after sunrise and those creatures we saw will be there in about three,” Dew replied.
“We should send a messenger back to let Nightshade and the others know what is going on,” Dew said.
“Your right…send two scouts back to let them know…send them tonight and we leave out at sunrise for Eagles Nest,” Jade said

XXXXXXXXXX

Two days after leaving the Birchwoods Dew lead Jade and the others to the crest of a hill that overlooked the Bright River. Jade, having never been to this part of the forest looked on in wonderment at the beauty of it. She had traveled through much of the Green Forest in her life and seen many wonders that it holds and the scene before her she would add to that list. She looked down into what looked like a miniature valley with hills on all sides. She watched the sun reflect off the deep blue waters of the Bright River and followed it to where the Shining and Roaring streams fed into it at that point a cylindrical tower jutted from the earth rising about two hundred paces above the earth. At the top of this tower rested the nests of numerous eagles.
“I see why this place is called Eagles Nest,” Nightwind commented.
“Yeah, those nests give this place its name,” Dew said as she watched the eagles soar high above.
“That is interesting,” Nightwind said seemingly untouched by the site.
“Nightwind, where do you think we should set our positions,” Jade knowing that Nightwind was the more military minded among them and without a doubt the most experienced.
“Dew, are those streams very deep?” Nightwind asked her.
“Only about chest deep and waist deep in some places and the river is much deeper,” She replied.
“If I were them I would take the easy way across the river, which would be to cross the streams instead,” Nightwind pointed to what looked like narrow sections of the streams, “I will take some of the scouts and set them up back in trees on the hills just across the Roaring stream. Willow you and Dew hide your scouts back into those trees on this side of the Shining stream. Jade you take the remaining scouts and get behind those hills in between the two streams. All those who are mages will be split between us with ten of them being up here,” Nightwind pushed the long white hair out of her eyes and looked down imagining the battle taking place, “Willow It will be up to you and Dew to take care of their scouts and mages if any of them try to run make sure they don’t get away. The rest of us, no matter what we take out those creatures first. We do not worry about their mages and scouts until those things are dead. Yes it may cost us some lives but if we do not kill them it will cost us many more. They did not have any scouts out ahead or around them when we spotted them and there have not been any seen as we checked their progress but if they do send any out…it is imperative they die,” Nightwind said coldly.
“I can’t think of a better plan and the last time we checked they are still coming this way,” Jade replied then Nightwind sent every elf to organize the scouts and make sure all knew what to do.
{This beautiful scene is about to turn bloody,} Renee said.
{Very bloody,} Jade replied and Renee could sense the sadness in her voice.
Jade walked from position to position with Nightwind making sure every elf was ready for what was coming there way.
“One thing in our advantage is they are traveling bunched up. If it were me I would have scouts out front and fanned out all around the main group checking for surprises. Hopefully they will stay that way…it will make the killing easier,” Nightwind said.
“I’m glad your with us,” Jade said with a slight smile as she watched Nightwind walk away then she took up her own position and waited.
{Sometimes she can be very scary,} Renee told Jade.
{She is a very odd Elf and a very dangerous one I think,} Jade replied.
{Is that why you watched her walk away,} Renee said with the hint of a smile but received no reply.

XXXXXXXXXX

Greenleaf and Wind were running through the trees at a steady pace when they noticed two scouts coming toward them. They stopped and waited for the approaching scouts.
“Patriarch Greenleaf,” One of the scouts said greeting Greenleaf with respect then asked, “what are you doing here?”
“I could ask the same of you,” Greenleaf said avoiding the question.
“We were sent to deliver a message to Lightning, Hawk and Aspen,” The second scout said.
“Can you tell me the message?” Greenleaf asked and watched as the two scouts looked at each other then one of them nodded.
“Willow told us to tell them that the Anid are on there way and will be at the Deep Valley in four to five days…” Greenleaf raised a hand stopping the scouts report.
“Then Nightwind and Jade have been successful?” Greenleaf asked.
“Our attacks slowed them down considerably but Nightwind and Dew came back with some very bad information about some creatures that are trying to sneak around behind Lightning and Hawks forces,” The scout said.
“So Jade is going after them?” Wind asked knowingly.
“Yes, That is what they plan to do. They are going to try and ambush them at Eagles Nest,” The scout said.
“Can you tell us how to get there?” Wind asked and the scouts gave her the directions as best they could since only one of them was from the Green Forest and she was from a distant region of the forest.
“Thank you very much. I am sure we can find our way,” Greenleaf said as the scouts hurried away.
“It is worse than I feared,” Wind said looking at Greenleaf.
“The directions will help but the stone will tell me which way to go,” Greenleaf said and pointed, “That way.”

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade waited knowing that even though her forces greatly outnumbered the much smaller force that was heading her way the potential danger was greater than the Anid army they had been harassing. Knowing that one of those creatures was equal to any two or three mages and could easily kill a hundred or more scouts. It was important the ambush go off without a flaw if they were to avoid enormous losses.
{Those things have to die and die fast,} Renee said interrupting Jades thoughts.
{Yes they do if we are to walk away from this place alive,} Jade responded as she saw movement coming down from the hills moving toward Eagles Nest.
Jade watched as the enemy stopped at the edge of the clearing. They stood there for a long while and she was becoming concerned that they knew something was amiss and would not move on into the trap that was set and ready to be released then her fears were pushed aside. Jade watched as one of the creatures stepped into the clearing and continued walking toward the Shining stream to the exact point Nightwind thought they would cross. It stopped at the edge of the stream and looked around then turned and looked back. Jade watched as the other creatures along with the mages and scouts joined it at the edge of the stream and they all started crossing. She watched and waited until the last of them had crossed the Shining and were halfway to the Roaring stream. She closed her eyes and tried to calm the tension in her stomach taking several deep breaths as she drew upon the earth. She opened her eyes and sent the signal streaking toward the heart of the creatures. The battle began.

XXXXXXXXXX

Willow watched as the Anid crossed the first stream and just as they were halfway to the next she watched a green bolt of magefire streak down upon them. The battle was underway. Thousands of arrows rained down upon the Anid as bolts of magefire streaked through the air to strike at the heart of the creatures. Unlike the Anid army they had been harassing these scouts reacted fast and struck back quickly. As Willow sent an arrow into one of the creatures she watched it send a fireball to engulf an Elf in blazing fire then a blue bolt of magefire followed by a red one struck the creature then more bolts of magefire joined in, setting the creature ablaze. Willow quickly switched her aim sending arrow after arrow into one of the creatures but they seemed to have little effect on it then she was joined by two other scouts and they turned the creature into a pin cushion until it finally fell over dead.
Jade ducked aside as a ball of fire streaked past her slamming into a tree igniting it like kindling then she sent a green bolt straight back down the path the creatures fireball had traveled. She watched as her own bolt of magefire was joined by another killing the creature.
Within moments of the battle starting all the Anid scouts were either dead or had scattered only to be hunted down. A task that had been given to Willow and her scouts. The creatures however were a different story. They did not fall so easily nor did they move slowly. With each creature that fell it seemed that they took two or three Elves with them but finally the last of them fell in a burning heap of magefire.

XXXXXXXXXX

It was up to Willow and Dew along with their band of scouts to make sure that none of the Anid scouts left the area alive to warn the Anid army that was marching toward the Deep Valley.
As Willow sent an arrow through one of the Anid scouts she heard movement behind her she turned to look an arrow sliced across her ribs. She watched as the Anid reached for another arrow. She grabbed her belt knife and sent it flying into his chest. She looked down at her side to see a red splotch on her tunic and started to laugh but the pain it caused kept her from it. Feeling the blood run down her side Willow over to retrieve her knife thinking the cut was not to bad and a mage could easily heal it later.

XXXXXXXXXX

Nightwind looked down into the clearing where Jade had built a fire to burn the Anid and the creatures. She had said, “they don’t deserve to be buried in our forest alongside our kin.” Nightwind thought about those words for a moment, ‘our forest, our kin’ then she looked at the opposite hill to see a figure standing there with a bow aimed down toward the clearing. Nightwind looked down and saw Jade walking away from the fire and without a thought Nightwind raised her bow and sent a shaft through the attackers neck and watched as it fell tumbling down the hill to stop just a few paces away from Jade. She looked down at Jade who gave her a wave of thanks then she remembered a long ago dream. A dream in which a figure stood upon a hill and sent an arrow through the heart of a figure walking away from a fire piled with dead bodies. ‘Some dreams are not meant to be.’ She thought to herself, ‘at least not yet.’

XXXXXXXXXX

Willow made her way through the trees toward the clearing. She could feel her body getting weaker but could not understand how such a minor cut from an arrow could make her feel so weak. With each drop of blood that fell to the ground she trudged along and tripped over the body of a fallen Elf. Landing on her side a rock jammed into her side were the arrow had cut across her ribs. With her eyes clenched shut in pain she pushed herself to her knees then slowly she stood. When she opened her eyes an Anid female stood in front of her with a sword in her hand and a smile on her face. The Anid lunged forward and swung the sword in a sweeping arc that sliced across Willows ribs as she fell backwards trying to avoid the sword. Willow lost her balance and fell onto her back and noticed the dead Elf’s quiver of arrows. Willow grabbed an arrow as she dodged a thrust from the sword then she stabbed out with the arrow piercing the Anid’s heart as the sword sunk into her shoulder. As the Anid fell backwards she pulled the sword out as Willow screamed in pain. After a few moments Willow slowly got to her feet and pressed on toward the clearing.
She stumbled and fell many times as she made her way closer and closer to the clearing. Leaning against a tree the blood dripping from her fingertips she thought, ‘Just a little farther’. She started to take a step forward when she saw two Anid crouched at the edge of the clearing. One of them was pointing as the other readied a bow. Willow looked and saw a figure walking down the side of a hill and from her hair it could only be ‘Nightwind’. Willow looked back and saw the Anid raise the bow. Willow knew she did not have the strength in her to kill them both but she knew she had enough to distract them. She took her knife in hand and with all her strength she screamed at the top of her lungs and sprinted as fast as she could toward them. Willow saw them turn just as the arrow was released. She hoped it missed its intended mark but hoped her knife would not as she threw it and watched it sink into the leg of the first Anid who screamed in pain. That was the last thing Willow would remember as an arrow flew in her direction.

XXXXXXXXXX

Nightwind heard the scream and turned in time to see Willow fall and an Anid charging toward her with sword in hand. Nightwind raised her hand and a bolt of white magefire set the Anid ablaze. Nightwind saw another Anid hobbling away and performed the same favor for it then she ran down the hill to where Willow lay. She knelt beside her and was surprised to find her still breathing. She checked Willows wounds and found none of them to be deadly serious. As Nightwind was healing the wound on Willows side Jade joined her.
“I saw your magefire and thought you might could use some help…how is she?” Jade asked.
“She had a lot of cuts and one deep wound through her shoulder. There was a long cut down the side of her head…probably from an arrow. There wasn’t any serious wound I could find but from all the blood on her tunic she’s been bleeding for a while” Nightwind replied.
“Lets get her back to camp. There are a lot of other wounded to take care of.” Jade said as she looked down at her friend with sadness on her face.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade, Nightwind and the other mages worked the rest of the evening and late into the night caring for the wounded. They healed the ones they could and made those they could not as comfortable as possible.
“It’s almost unbelievable,” Jade said to Nightwind as they stepped out of one of the tents that was set up for the wounded.
“What is?” Nightwind asked.
“That we could lose so many in an ambush when we outnumbered them ten to one after losing so few in our attacks against an army that outnumbered us by much more than that,” Jade said looking sadly at the ground.
“We lost seventeen during out attacks with a few more wounded against the Anid and we slowed them down enough to hopefully allow Hawks plan to work. Here we faced a different more deadly enemy and we lost less than two hundred with even more wounded than dead but we won giving Hawk an even better chance of success,” Nightwind told Jade.
“That is all true but I just wish none had to die,” Jade replied.
{None except Kerrah,} Renee mumbled inside Jades head.
“None except Kerrah,” Jade said correcting herself as she watched the sunrise.
“I think I will see where I put my bedroll and find out if there is any food left,” Nightwind said.
“That is the best idea I have heard in a while,” Jade said and went in search of something to eat.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade was sleeping soundly when Dew burst into her tent and tried waking her.
“Jade,” Dew said as she shook Jade by the shoulders.
“Jade, wake up!” she yelled and shook Jade some more.
“Uhm what?” Jade said sleepily.
“It’s Willow, something is wrong,” Dew said with concern in her voice. “Nightwind told me to get you,” Dew added.
“What?” Jade said and came fully awake.
“Nightwind sent me to get you because something is wrong with Willow,” Dew replied and followed Jade out of her tent and into Willows.
Jade knelt down beside Willow and checked her wounds.
“All of her wounds are nicely healed and there is no sign of infection,” Jade said.
“I think she was poisoned,” Nightwind said.
“Poisoned? How?” Dew asked then she remembered that there were others of the wounded suffering the same fate as Willow.
“It could have happened from any of her wounds. A poisoned knife, arrow or anything that cut her deep enough,” Nightwind said.
“Is there anything to be done,” Dew asked.
“We can do nothing more for her than we are for the others,” Jade said as she wiped the sweat from her friends forehead with a cool cloth.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade spent the rest of the day checking on the more seriously wounded, those who could not yet get up and move around on their own then she made her way toward Willows tent.
{I find it amazing,} Renee said.
{What?} Jade asked.
{I have seen you heal before and it is remarkable how most of them are up and walking around after they were so close to death just yesterday,} Renee said with a touch of awe.
{As I have told you before, wounds can be healed if they are cared for soon enough,} Jade told her.
{But poison is different,} Renee said remembering what Jade had told her.
{Yes it is. We can heal most wounds or at the very least help the healing along but sometimes the wound is to serious to heal such as an arrow through the heart,” Jade said.
{Is that why they are using poison? Because they know you can’t take it out,” Renee asked.
{Yes and I still wonder how they found out,” Jade said.
{Obviously someone told them or perhaps Kerrah already knew,} Renee said as Jade pulled the flap to Willows tent open. She made sure her friend was as comfortable as possible then slipped into her own bedroll that she had moved into Willows tent earlier.
The next morning found all the wounded doing much better except for those who had been poisoned. They had lost several of them already and Jade feared they would lose even more before any recovered…if any did. Jade stepped out of the tent and felt the sun warm her face as she looked toward the tree line to see two figures walking toward the camp.
“Greenleaf and Wind?” Jade said to herself and waited for them as she wondered why they were here.
“Greenleaf what are you doing here?” Jade asked as walked into the camp.
“That is something that is better told by Wind,” Greenleaf replied.
“Where is Willow?” Wind asked not bothering with pleasantries.
“She is in the tent,” Jade told wind indicating the tent behind her and looking at Greenleaf curiously as Wind walked into the tent.
“She has been poisoned?” Greenleaf asked.
“Yes, how do you know?” Jade asked.
“Wind told me she had a dream. A dream that left her with the impression of death, Willow and poison. She could better tell you the dream than I could. After she had the dream she would not stop bothering me until I came with her because she was coming to find Willow regardless,” Greenleaf said as they walked into the tent.
“Is there anything that can be done to help her?” Jade asked.
“That will depend on the poison that was used. Do you have any of the weapons they used that might have the poison on it?” Greenleaf asked.
“We can gather some of the weapons the Anid used but I don’t know if any of them will have poison on them or not,” Jade said.
“Do it and I will check them and see,” Greenleaf told her as he knelt down and checked Willow.
Jade came back with Nightwind and an armload of Anid weapons for Greenleaf. He took an arrow and scraped the head with his knife then sniffed it and touched it with his tongue and spat onto the ground. He did that with each weapon they had brought him then he looked at Wind.
“Those that had poison on them seem to have the same poison and I think I can help but I will need some herbs and tree bark,” Greenleaf said then told them exactly what herbs and bark he needed. They left immediately to gather it for him and when they returned with it he ground it all into a fine powder as other mages had gathered around him to watch. Once all the ingredients were ready he poured the powder into a pot of boiling water. When the potion was ready he turned to the mages who were watching.
“Give each of those that have been poisoned this much of the potion,” Greenleaf said indicating the amount he had poured into the cup.
“We are going to have to make them drink it?” One of the mages asked.
“Yes they have to drink it. I know they are unconscious and I will show you how to do it,” He said as he knelt next to Willow.
“Nightwind will you sit Willow up and tilt her head back just a little then pinch her nose?” Nightwind did as Greenleaf asked and as she pinched Willows nose Greenleaf poured the potion into her mouth.
“Now if some of you will help we will see to the others,” Greenleaf said as Nightwind laid Willow gently back down.
Later that evening Willow opened her eyes and slowly looked around before going back to sleep.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade sat staring into the fire as she listened to Greenleaf tell the others what he knew of Hawks progress before he and Wind left to join them.
“We should be leaving to join with them in a day or two,” Nightwind said.
“From the way the potion seems to be working I think they will be ready to travel in a couple of days if not sooner,” Greenleaf said.
“Nightwind and Dew will lead the scouts to the Deep Valley but I will be leaving in the morning to find Kerrah,” Jade said and drew a cold look from Nightwind.
Nightwind could tell from the look on Jades face that she was talking to Renee so she waited and held her reply until she knew she had Jades full attention.
{We are finally going after the bastard?} Renee asked.
{Yes…but I have one problem,} Jade said.
{What problem?} Renee asked with a bit of concern.
{I don’t know where he is,} Jade said.
{That could be a bit of a problem,} Renee replied with a touch of disappointment.
{Yes it could be,} Jade replied.
{Just how do you plan on finding him?} Renee wanted to know.
{I don’t know but he is out there somewhere past the forest,} Jade said.
{Didn’t Dew scout the Anid out past the forest? I think she said something about it once…ask her,” Renee said.
“Dew, do you know where Kerrah might be?” Jade asked.
“He is probably in his temple across the desert. I have never been there but that is the story I have heard from some of the Anid I talked to before they perished,” Dew replied.
{You did not know that?} Renee said.
{I do not tend to talk to Anid when they are trying to kill me,} Jade replied.
“I am going with you. Like I said when you first asked for my help…I go where you go,” Nightwind said in a voice that told Jade there would be no argument.
“Then who will take the scouts back to the Deep Valley?” Jade asked
“Don’t look at me. You need someone to show you were the water holes are as we cross the desert,” Dew said as Jade looked in her direction.
“I will do it until Willow is healthy enough to take over,” Sage said as she joined them at the fire.
“I am very sorry about Hemlock,” Jade told Sage as she sat down.
“Thank you, but before this is over I am sure there will be many more dead,” Sage said.

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Allison

Eire this story is just brilliant. I am in awe of your talent dear one. I look forward to the next parts to come.

Alli

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
desert-fish

Ah-ha...at last...looking forward to reading this when i have time next week Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:24 am 
Allison

Soon Eire? Wink Looking forward to the next section. Can ya tell?

Alli

Post Sat May 05, 2007 8:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
SharayaKai

Would you terribly mind if I copied all the chapters into Word so that I might curl up with my laptop on the next rainy day and devour what you've given us at my leisure, without the strains of sitting in front of this desktop for hours at a time?

I've read the first chapter and obviously got hooked right along with everyone else. I look forward to future installments.

Post Thu May 24, 2007 4:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Allison

Still waiting patiently Wink

Alli

Post Tue May 29, 2007 11:02 pm 
Allison

Looks at the calendar.....uh hhmmm still waiting!!

Alli

Post Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:07 am 
mobomo12

Really want to know what happen next.

PLEASE WRIGHT MORE

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:16 pm 
trusting fool

eire, this story is brilliant, I love what you've created and look forward to more

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:49 pm 
Eiregirl

Ladies I wish to thank all of you very much for the encouragement to keep writing this story and I am sorry for how long it is taking but...I just keep writing a little here and there when I get a moment.

But chapter 8 is up...and 9 is in work

Hugs and many thanks
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: