BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Destruction's Wake [4-20]

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
combatbaby

Destruction's Wake [4-20]

I write fantasy fiction quite a bit when I have the spare time to do it. I hope you ladies enjoy reading this part as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Hell has come to Therinsford.

That was all Tyrael could think as she stood witness to the horror in the valley before her; staring upon it with troubled eyes. Dark spires of smoke twisted into the shadowy sky, rising from the blazing town that had once sat in the shallow basin. All that was left of it now was destruction, the burning ruins devoid of the screams that usually accompany a battleground. It sent an eerie chill through Tyrael, who had seen her fair share of war and who knew that silence was not often a friend of it.

Nudging the flanks of the bay warhorse beneath her, she left the cluster of pine trees she had been among and guided her steed in a slow curve towards the devastation. In the open, Tyrael knew she was clearly visible and took care to be on guard. Her hand was ready at any time to leap to her shoulder and withdraw the bastard sword strapped against her back. Aside from her weapon little of her form was visible; she was shrouded by her traveling robes and only her intense green eyes could be seen within the depths of her hood.

As she drew nearer, Tyrael’s agitation grew; there was something disturbingly wrong about this town’s wreckage. Something missing. She really didn’t need to investigate the dying inferno, Therinsford was just a stop along her trek towards the greater city of Angrad; however, there was something about it that drew her to it. Ever so slowly she came to within fifty meters of the small city and realized what was amiss; there were no bodies.

Tyrael thinned her eyes and halted to dismount from her horse, Etoile. The faint clatter of steel against steel could be heard as her feet hit the ground and she pulled back the hood and scarf of her robes to remove any obstruction from her sight. Ebony, knife-cut hair fell haphazardly to her shoulders and her eyes were sharply visible among her eloquent features. She gazed at the village before glancing to Etoile and touching his shoulder.

“Elis’mar enn ni siri.” She whispered to him in hushed tones.
Be vigilant, wait close to here.

The horse flicked his dark mane and started to walk away, a swish of his tail and slight flattening of his ears clearly telling her he thought this was a waste of time. She stared after his large brown and black form for a moment before turning her attention back to the town and striding towards it.

The fires that had been raging when Tyrael first saw Therinsford were now almost down to just red hot coals and white ash. Meanwhile, clouds of dark smoke were still being spewed into the sky from many locations. As she came to the very edge of the ruined buildings she stopped and knelt close to the ground, reaching out with a studded glove to touch the scorched earth. There were traces of foot prints and activity all over the soil, in fact… sweeping carefully through some ash her fingers probed out several arrowheads, the shafts having burned away completely.

So, there had definitely been a battle of sorts and the fires must have been all encompassing for a period of time to have reached this area. Tyrael stood back up and tossed the arrowheads to the ground. Reaching behind herself, she quietly unsheathed her sword. The weight of the blade in her gloved hand was comforting and its keen edge reflected the light of nearby embers. She wasn’t taking any chances today.

Two-handing the weapon, she carefully began to stalk through the devastation; making observations as she checked amongst piles of ash and rubble for any signs of life. Even with the fires there should still have been skeletons or the remains of armor worn in battle, yet she could find none and it made her wary to no end. There were deep gouges among the few standing walls and occasionally she found a footprint among the ash that she could identify as neither human nor animal. The air reeked of oily smoke but also of ozone and sorcery. It left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Just as Tyrael was considering leaving, having found little understandable evidence to show whatever terrible fate Therinsford had been victim too, it happened.

crunch

Tyrael turned on her heel, sword ready and senses afire from being stretched thin for so long. Barely twenty paces away from her was the creator of the slight disturbance; perched delicately on the rubble of a fallen building. The character’s lean form was clad in an odd collaboration of green leather and strips of plate and chain mail. A cloak was swept behind their shoulders and its hood presided over a visage masked by steel. Seconds passed like an eternity as neither of them moved.

Tyrael coldly regarded the figure before her during those few moments. The person, for she could tell neither if it was a woman nor a boy beneath the armor, did not have a weapon at hand but the hilt of a sword was visible at the warrior’s belt. From beneath the mask came a hard, distinctively feminine voice that rang slightly due to the metal pretense.

“State your business, stranger.”

Last edited by combatbaby on Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:40 pm 
Raven

Smiles slowly . . . now thisssss is what I like. We've got to chat sometime you and I CB. Absolutly LOVE this so far so please do continue . . . oh and its very well written too chica - your pretty talented aren't ya.

Luv'n it, Rave

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:50 am 
combatbaby

Thanks for commenting Rave, I'm glad you like it. I started work on the next part and should have it up soon Smile

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:17 pm 
Raven

Oh Goody!! Glad you're not like me and let stuff hang for ages lol. Can't wait for more! Rave

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:20 pm 
Allison

Excellent start CB. I hope you have time to keep writing and very soon. A fantastic story so far, so don't make us wait too long ya hear Wink

Alli

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
combatbaby

I know this is long overdue, but multiple things have been keeping me from sitting and writing. However! Seeing as exams are almost past and I'll have plenty of spare time soon enough, i'm picking it back up again. Enjoy.

Tyrael kept her sword level to the woman in front of her and bluntly replied, “I should be asking you the exact same thing.”

The masked female slowly stood up at her reply, so quiet considering the armor she was wearing. With cat-like grace she stalked forward over the rubble, her hand resting on the hilt of her sword – almost instinctively she and Tyrael started to circle each other. Slivers of hard grey eyes were visible in the eyeholes of the featureless mask staring back at Tyrael and only after several minutes of silently calculating each other did the enigma stop.

“If you do not tell me why you are here, I will kill you.” The woman said, her voice laced with the deadly promise.

“I’m here of my own free will. If that’s not a good enough answer for you than go ahead and try it.” Tyrael answered back, keeping her own tone hard but monotonous. Inwardly, part of her wondered if they were together in the same circumstances, both too curious to just pass Therinsford by as an anomaly of war. Yet, considering the state this place was in she couldn’t just assume this character wasn’t involved in the destruction either, therefore she remained untrusting and wary.

The stranger unsheathed her weapon, a scimitar with a bluish tint to the metal that clearly told Tyrael it was enchanted. Smoothly dipping into a guard position, the woman spoke again.

“I’ve been watching you scrape through this city for almost an hour now. You’re the only person I have seen here since I came to investigate and no others are here to blame for this devastation. If you do not give me a better answer then I will have to assume you are responsible. This is my last warning to you.”

“I’m just a stranger passing by… but why should I trust that you aren’t to blame?” Tyrael coldly replied.

The woman did not bother to answer. Instead, with a surge like a lioness uncoiling from its crouch, she charged. Tyrael was ready despite the surprising agility of her opponent and she defended herself against a flurry of blows. Sparks flew from the bluish scimitar each time it struck her own blade and Tyrael was taken aback as a sensation of jarring cold came to her gloved hands.

Ignoring the numbing effect that was quickly taking effect in her palms, Tyrael back-stepped a particularly savage uppercut from the scimitar and in the momentary opening chose not to wait for the next blow. Instead she lunged forward, tackling her opponent’s armored torso with her cloaked shoulder. The woman grunted as the air was knocked from her lungs and she stumbled back a few paces; however, almost instantly she regained her guard, this time waiting for Tyrael to make the first move.

Tyrael was breathing shallow, rapid breaths as she kept her sword tip close to the ashen ground and gauged her enemy. Certainly, this woman was skilled; she moved fluidly from attack to attack and her weapon’s enchantment was debilitating. This fight could turn ugly if Tyrael’s hands became so numb she dropped her own sword or if she tripped on some debris. Yet, everyone has a weakness; she thought to herself. She didn’t particularly want to kill this woman because her gut was telling her that there had been a misunderstanding, but she would have to if she wanted to live herself. Unless…

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:08 am 
ghost

hmmm, keep going CB!

lik it lots so far.

regards
ghost

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:10 pm 
trusting fool

cb, this has captured me please continue and post when you can Smile

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:35 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >