BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Jade (Rough Chapter Six)

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Jade (Rough Chapter Six)

Chapter Six

The next morning after packing her tent Nightwind strolled through camp looking for Hawk. She saw him helping Aspen and Greenleaf take down their tents. As she approached she heard Hawk say something about sending more scouts out ahead of them.
“Since Nightwind and Jade told us about the Anid they ran into in our own forest we may want to have our scouts search farther out around our perimeter.” Hawk was saying as Nightwind approached.
"That would be a good idea." Nightwind heard Aspen reply.
“A very good idea.” Nightwind said calmly.
"Greetings Nightwind." Aspen said turning to look at her.
“Is there anything else you can remember about that creature?” Hawk asked.
“Nothing more than we told you last night.” Nightwind replied. “Have you seen Jade?”
“I saw her and Willow talking with Mist a moment ago over by those trees.” Aspen said as he pointed toward a grove of trees a short distance away.
“Thank you.” Nightwind said as she went to find Jade.
“Do you think Jade might want to lead a scouting party since she knows this forest and know very little about it.” Nightwind heard Aspen say as she walked away.
“I think she would but we can ask her later after we are moving. We still have a long way to go.” Hawk replied as he turned and watched Nightwind.
Nightwind found that everywhere she looked there were eyes looking at her and she was pleased when she found Jade talking to Mist with Willow and Wind nearby. She felt comfortable around Jade and that disturbed her.
“Greetings Nightwind.” Jade said with a smile.
“Greetings.” Nightwind replied.
“Greeting Nightwind…Jade has told me a lot about you and it is good to see you again.” Mist said as Willow and Wind joined them.
“Greetings Mist it is good to see you again as well.” Nightwind said with a slight nod.
“I need to get packed and ready to move out.” Mist said as he went to gather his things.
“I heard Hawk and Aspen talking about sending out more scouting parties to keep a lookout for the Anid and since you are more familiar with this forest they will ask you to lead one of the parties.” Nightwind told Jade.
“I would think that a wise choice.” Wind said as she watched the throng of Elves begin to move.
“It looks like it is time to go.” Willow said as she picked up her pack. “Come on Wind lets find Wisp are you coming Jade?”
“I will see if I can find Hawk and Aspen.” Jade replied. “I’ll find you later.”
Jade and Nightwind located Hawk and Aspen atop a small rise as they watched the massive army assemble and move out.
“It is wonderful to see how well they have all come to work together.” Jade commented as she and Nightwind joined them.
“The first few days were…a mess to be pointed about it.” Aspen said. “But with a little time working together we have what you see now.”
“Both of you have done wonderful and I thank you.” Jade said.
“Nightwind tells me that you want to send out more scouting parties.” Jade added as they watched the army move by.
“Yes and we would like you to lead one of them since you know this forest better than anyone here.” Hawk said with a glance toward Nightwind that got him nothing except a cold stare in return.
“I’ll gather some scouts just let me know when you want us to go out.” Jade said.
Jade along with Willow picked their set of scouts. Willow and three other scouts would scout their rear while four pair of scouts would watch the forward and aft flanks as Jade, Wind and another pair would move out ahead of the army.
"Are you going to tell her bye?" Jade said indicating Willow who at the moment was standing alone.
"I'm going to do more than that." Aspen replied with an even bigger smile.
While Jade and her scouting party were getting ready to leave, Aspen wanted to talk to Willow alone and decided this was as good a time as any.
"I will miss you while you are gone." He said in a soft loving voice as he stood in front of her.
"I know, you always do." Willow replied looking away, daring not to look into his eyes for fear of losing herself.
"Willow . . . I love you." Aspen said as he took a step toward her.
"Not now Aspen…please." Willow said quickly as she turned her back to him and bowed her head.
"Come on Willow lets go." Jade said as she walked up behind Aspen. Without a word Willow hurriedly stepped past them both.
"Be careful.” Aspen told her as she walked by. He watched as she continued on to join the other scouts.
"Don’t worry Aspen, she will be fine.” Jade said as she turned to leave and heard Aspens reply, "I know but I still worry."

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade and the forward scouts checked the path that the main body of the army would follow. They fanned out in pairs and checked the area in a zig zag pattern always crossing each others path at set intervals. If their paths did not cross within a reasonable amount of time then the other would know something could be wrong and one would sit and wait while the other notified the army so they could be better prepared just in case something was wrong.
Since leaving the Heartwood of the Alarian forest Hawk and Aspen had sent out advance scouts ahead of the army to check their path, flanks and rear. These scouts would rotate in and out twice a day with one set going out each morning and one at midday. Each day a set would come in at midday and one at sunset leaving one set out each night. Today Jades set was due in at midday and the entire set of scouts had returned except for her and Wind who were checking ahead of the army. Aspen sent out a pair of extra scouts to check ahead of the army and look for Jade and Wind as the army pressed on till sunset.
Nightwind stared out into the darkness as Hawk walked up behind her. Behind them the army set up their camp for the night “Jade and Wind should have been back by now.” Nightwind said as she turned to look at Hawk.
“They should have been back a long time ago.” Hawk replied as he stopped next to her.
“Did the scouts Aspen sent out to look for them make it back?” Nightwind asked.
“They came back a short while ago and they did not find anything unusual.” Hawk said.
"If they are not back soon I'm going to look for them myself." Nightwind said with conviction in her voice as they walked back to where Aspen sat by a fire. Hawk knew by the tone of her voice that arguing about it would be useless, but Aspen did not.
"Are you sure that's a good idea, especially since we don't know these woods?" Aspen asked drawing a pointed stare from Nightwind that sent a shiver down his spine.
"I have looked for them with earth magic and other mages have looked as well and we could not find them. Do you have a better idea?" Nightwind said tartly as she reached for a stick of wood to add to the dying fire. Out of the corner of her eye she saw movement in the shadows. Instead of closing her hand on a stick of wood she closed it on the hilt of her sword.
"Nightwind.” A voice she recognized as Winds called from the shadows.
"Wind." Nightwind said as a figure emerged from the shadows, "Where's Jade?"
"Right here.” Jade said following behind Wind.
"Where have you been?" Nightwind asked sharply.
"We went farther than I had intended.” Jade started to explain.
"I was about to go looking for you.” Nightwind told her.
"Well that won't be necessary now.” Jade said with a tired smile.
"Did you find anything?" Hawk asked.
"No, our route seems to be clear from what we saw of it.” Jade replied.
“Next time please come back on time…these three have been pacing around worrying about you.” Willow said as she came up to the fire with two bowls of soup in her hands.
“It will not happen again…unless something really is wrong.” Jade said as she took the bowl of soup Willow handed her.
“Make sure it doesn’t.” Nightwind said and then as Jade looked toward her Nightwind turned her head.

XXXXXXXXXX

The morning sun brought with it the impression of a perfect day. But unnoticed to all dark clouds began to build on the southern horizon as Hawk and Aspen prepared the army to move out. "Good morning Aspen.” Jade said as she helped Willow folded pack her tent. "Good morning, Jade could you come and go over the map to Shadow Lake with us.” Aspen asked.
"Okay, let me finish here and I'll be right there." Jade replied.
"I'll be over there with Hawk and Leaf when your ready." Aspen said as he pointed.
{Hum, he didn't say a word to Willow.} Renee commented as Aspen walked away.
{So?} Jade unenthusiastically replied.
{Is there something wrong with your plan.} Renee said in a way she knew would ruffle Jades feathers.
{Oh why don't you shut up.} Jade shot back at her.
"What did she say?" Willow asked Jade.
"Who?" Jade said confused by the question.
"Renee.” Willow said.
{She could tell we were talking.} A surprised Renee told Jade.
"Not much, but how did you know we were talking?" Jade asked.
"You get this look on your face. It's almost as if your somewhere else.” Willow replied.
"I never knew anyone could tell.” Jade said as they finished packing the tent.
"I only recently figured it out.” Willow said with a smile.
"I wonder if anyone else has?" Jade said.
"I don't know but for some reason I think Nightwind has known for a long time.” Willow said.
“Why do you say that?” Jade asked as she stuffed the last of her things into her pack.
“Because I’m very observant and she is even more observant.” Willow replied.
{The map.} Renee said, reminding Jade.
"Thank you Renee.” Jade said aloud, "I was just reminded that I have meet Aspen and Hawk to go over the map. Would you like to come?" Jade said to Willow.
"No there is something else I have to do.” Willow replied to quickly for Jades comfort.
Jade walked over to where Aspen and Hawk were waiting along with Nightwind and Leaf.
“Greetings.” Jade said as she approached the group.
“I just wanted to go over the map again to make sure we are taking the shortest and fastest route to Shadow Lake.” Hawk said after all the greetings were exchanged. Aspen laid the map out that Jade had drawn for them before they had left the Heartwood of the Alarian Forest. Jade took a piece of charcoal and marked their present location with an X. From the X she drew a line straight West to another line with the words "Big River" written beside it. Then following along the river she continued her line to a place on the map marked "Where The Water Falls." From there Jades line followed the edge of a cliff then it veered down a path to a pool of water. Once at the pool the line followed Shadow River to Shadow Lake. After Jade finished the map she explained it in detail to those around her.
"What do you mean by Where the Water Falls?" Aspen asked inquisitively.
"That is where Big River flows over the cliff and that is why we call it Where The Water Falls.” Jade explained.
"And where the water falls into the pool Shadow River begins.” Hawk said, now fully understanding the map.
"We follow the cliff South from Where The Water Falls until we find a path down the cliff to the pool?" Leaf asked as he traced the lines on the map with a stick.
“Yes.” Jade said with a nod and after talking a few moments more everyone had a good understanding of the map.
"Good, now that you all understand we should get started.” Jade said as she stood up.

XXXXXXXXX

With every passing moment the clouds on the southern horizon drew ever closer. As the day dragged on the threat of rain became greater. While passing through the hills Jade heard thunder crack the sky. She looked to the south with a sense of urgency on her face.
{Do you think we will get any rain from those clouds?} Renee asked.
{Yes there will be rain, but I hope we don't get any of it. I've been gone long enough already and can't afford any lost time.} Jade replied.
As though cursed by her words the clouds grew even closer. By midday the dark ominous clouds blanketed the sky and rain began to fall, forcing Jade and her army to trudge through water and mud while being pelted by the rain. Aspen urged Jade to stop and set up camp, but with Nightwind and Hawk backing her up she refused telling him to keep the army moving. After clearly stating his objection Aspen complied, and did as he was asked. While the thunder rolled and the lightening flashed across the sky, the army moved on through the hills and out onto the plain. Jade finally complied with Aspens wishes when it became to dark to travel.
{Jade I've got a funny feeling that we are being watched.} Renee said as Jade and Willow were setting up their tent.
{I've had the same feeling since about midday.} Jade replied.
{Is that why you've been searching with your magic?} Renee asked.
{Yea, and as you know I didn't find anything unusual.} Jade replied.
{What are we going to do about it?} Renee wanted to know.
{I don't know for sure. I’ll ask Aspen to send a few scouts farther ahead than usual to look around.} Jade replied as she drove a tent stake into the ground.
{That would be wise.} Renee replied with what Jade considered to be a smirk.
Jade also asked Nightwind and mist if they had the same feeling of being watched by magic and was both happy and apprehensive to find they had the same feelings.
After marching on through the rain for a day and a half, the army was joyous to finally see the clouds move on. Their joy was short lived when instead of walking through rain and mud, they began walking through mud and the steam from evaporating water of the sun swept plains they now trod. By the time they reached the Big River and began following its banks to the place Where The Water Falls, Jade had sent out several scouting parties to find out who or what might be watching them. Each party reported the same thing, "We saw nothing unusual." The day before reaching the river, while making camp at the river several other mages told her that they also felt as if they were being watched. Jade started to ask Aspen or Hawk to send out another scouting party, but changed her mind thinking it was a waste of time. She believed that if there was anyone or anything to be found the scouts would have already done so. The setting sun cast orange and purple hues across the sky as Jade stood where the Big River flowed over a cliff into a pool hundreds of feet below. After descending the pass it had taken the army seven days to reach the water fall. Looking down the cliff Jade could see the pool below. The roar of the water fall was near deafening, while at the same time somewhat soothing to her. While standing there Jade considered the unshakable feeling that many in the army were having. The feeling of being watched. She had used earth magic to try and find the source of the feeling, but found nothing. She had sent out scouting parties that reported back having found…nothing. She knew of nothing else she could do.
{What do I have to show for all that expended effort, nothing.} Jade told Renee, after making her thoughts known to her soul mate.
{Not exactly, we still have a feeling of being watched.} Renee replied with a snide remark.
"This is fantastic Jade!" Willow shouted as she walked up to the edge of the cliff with Nightwind beside her.
"How do we get down there?" Nightwind asked looking at the pool below.
"We will follow the cliff South to a path that leads down.” Jade said as she continued to look down toward the pool. Then her eyes followed the water as it flowed out of the pool and down Shadow River. Jades eyes followed Shadow River as far as she could. She surveyed its snake like trail through the forest and although she could not see it, she knew that just over the horizon the river flowed into Shadow Lake. After standing silently for a few moments they all walked back to camp in silence. As they turned to go a wind blew up from the pool below. As Jade walked back through camp with Willow and Nightwind she could see how unnerved and on edge many of the scouts had become. She knew that it was due to the eerie feeling they had of being watched and the inability to find the watcher.
{Renee, we have to find out what is going on and stop it. If we don't these scouts will not be of any use to me.} Jade told Renee.
{You've already done all you can. You sent out scouts and searched with magic, what else can you do?} Renee responded.
{Something . . . I have to do something.} Jade said as she walked on toward her tent.
"Jade, did you hear me?" Willow asked as she walked along beside Jade.
"I’m sorry what did you say?" Jade answered.
"Aspen cooked some food and wants us to join him.” Willow told her. Jade started to say no, but then she caught the scent of roast meat and fresh cooked vegetables. Realizing how hungry she was Jade nodded and followed Willow to Aspens tent.
"The last scouts you sent out came back while you were gone.” Aspen told Jade as she sat down.
"Did they find anything?" Jade asked, expecting they had not.
"No, just like all the others.” Aspen said, giving Jade the answer she knew was coming.
“Do you have any new ideas?" Aspen asked as he handed Jade a plate to put her food on.
"I can't think of anything I haven't already thought of.” Jade replied.
"What if it's a spell?" Willow said looking up from her plate.
"What kind of spell?" Aspen asked.
"I don't know, I'm not a mage.” Willow said.
"It could be a tracking spell.” Greenleaf thought out loud.
"What is that?" Willow asked curiously.
"It's a spell that is placed on someone or something in order to keep track of it's whereabouts.” Greenleaf explained.
"But a tracking spell has limited range and takes a lot of power.” Jade argued.
"True, but if several mages combined their power they could increase the range and it would not be as taxing on them.” Greenleaf replied.
"If it is a spell, how do you find the spell caster?" Hawk quietly asked.

XXXXXXXXXX

{Are you sure this will work? You did not sound very confident when you were explaining it to Hawk.} Renee commented.
Jade sat on the edge of the cliff with her legs crossed, not bothering to respond to Renee’s comment. The light from the full moon, cast dark shadows across the ground. Jade closed her eyes and took a deep breath of the cool night air as she began to relax. Once totally relaxed, Jade sent her mind out searching. With intricate care she searched the immediate area around their camp, then she began to extent her search in ever widening circles around the camp until she reached the limit of her ability.
{It seems that once again we go back empty handed.} Renee told Jade.
{Not yet.} Was Jades reply. With her eyes still closed Jade drew more magic from the earth and sent it out to encircle the camp like a bubble. Then with but a thought the spell was released with a faint almost unseen flash of light.
{What did you do?} Renee asked in a curious tone of thought.
{I was just checking to see if a spell had been placed on any or all of us, and there was none.} Jade replied.
{Then what we have been feeling is no spell.} Renee asked.
{No.} Jade said.
{So we are somehow being watched.} Renee replied.
{Probably by magic, but how and from where I don't know.} Jade said beginning to get frustrated.
{This means there is at least one mage out there somewhere.} Renee said.
{I think there are several mages and that they are well shielded.} Jade said thoughtfully.
{So they found us and we are supposed to be well shielded ourselves.} Renee let Jade know.
{I get your point. If they found us then we can find them.} Jade replied then began her search again.
As before she scanned the area with infinite care. Her mind brushed across that of a wolf chasing a rabbit, a squirrel barking at an owl that had landed on a branch to close by. She touched the mind of a deer running through the forest, and that of a bird flying high above the ebony carpet of the darkened forest. When her search was complete Jades head hung low in defeat. She had again found nothing.
"Any luck?" Nightwind asked as she stepped from the shadows into the moonlight. Jade started to reply with a snide remark when an idea came to her.
"Nightwind . . . I could use your help.” Jade said as she looked up.
"What would you like me to do?" Nightwind replied.
{I will never get use to that voice of hers, or those eyes. Even in the moonlight they seem to stare right through me.} Jade told Renee as Nightwind moved to sit beside her.
"I want to combine my power with yours so that I can search at a greater distance.” Jade explained.
"Then there is no spell?" Nightwind inquired.
"None that I could detect.” Jade replied as she adjusted her position to face Nightwind.
"Tell me how I can help and I will.” Nightwind told Jade as she sat cross legged in front of Jade.
"Hold my hands. When I tell you I'm ready, I want you to channel your power to me. Do it just like Greenleaf showed you.” Jade said and as she felt the warmth of Nightwinds hands she wondered how such a cold voice could come from such a warm body. Jade took a deep breath and let it out as she looked into Nightwind's eyes and felt a warmth flow through her.
"I'm ready.” Jade said as she closed her eyes and felt the power of the earth surge into her and once again she began her search. After what seemed like days Jades mind brushed across another. Not wanting to be detected herself she did not let their minds touch, but she knew it was an Anid mind by the way it felt. Before withdrawing she scanned the area around the Anid and found that there were many more.
"We found them.” Jade said after breaking contact with Nightwind.
"Where are they?" Nightwind asked. "About four days South and West of here.” Jade said as she stood.
"That would put them almost in our path.” Nightwind said after a moments thought.
"We had better tell the others.” Jade said looking out into the darkness.
They found Aspen and Willow sitting in front of Aspens tent. As they approached Aspen looked up and asked if they had found anything.
"We found them about four days from here. I'll explain everything when we find Hawk and Greenleaf. Nightwind would you mind getting them?" Jade asked.
"I will be back shortly.” Nightwind said as she left to find Hawk and Greenleaf. As Jade sat down across the fire from Willow she thought something seemed different about her. The more she thought about what it could be the more elusive it became.
{She has been spending a lot of time with Aspen since we crossed the pass.} Renee said.
{Something seems different about her.} Jade told Renee as she continued to watch Willow.
{Like what?} Renee asked as she looked at Willow through Jades eyes.
{I don't know, but there is something.} Jade replied thoughtfully as Nightwind returned with Hawk and Greenleaf.
"Nightwind said that you found something.” Hawk said as he and Nightwind sat down close to each other.
"We found what I believe to be our watchers about four days South and West of here. We detected about eight Anid mages maybe more and close to a thousand scouts. We did not look real close since we did not want them to know we had found them.” Jade said then took a deep breath. "The problem is they are almost directly in our path. We could try to go around them or we could go through them."
"They must have slipped around your clans and are planning an attack.” Willow said aloud what they were all thinking.
"That's what I was thinking, and with enough mages to shield them they would be unnoticed until it was to late.” Jade said as she gazed into the fire.
"I don't understand this. That would put them between us and the Green Forest clans. If we were not here it would be a good situation for them, but since we are that puts them in a no win situation.” Hawk said as he pictured it all in his head.
"I know what you mean. If I were them I would be getting out of the way.” Aspen commented.
"If they knew we were here.” Nightwind said not looking up from sharpening her knife.
"What do you mean?" Aspen asked.
"We know they have been searching in our direction but have they found us, or were they just looking. That's what I mean.” Nightwind replied.
"At the moment I don't know, and I could not answer that without letting them know for sure we are here.” Jade said.
"Nightwind has a good point, but the safest way to look at this is that they do know we are here.” Hawk stated.
"What if they do know and have something planned for us?" Willow asked.
{There are only two ways to find out if the Anid know we are here.} A familiar voice said to Jade as the others continued to argue.
{And what are they?} Jade asked.
{Ask them, or keep watch on them to find out what they do.} Renee replied.
{And if they know?} Jade asked.
{Cut them off and make sure none get away to tell about it.} Renee replied in a tone that sounded a bit to cold for Jades comfort, but she could not disagree.
{Maybe that's what we should do anyway.} Jade said solemnly.
{Maybe we should.} Renee commented. Jade thought for a moment about what Renee and the others were saying. With her decision made she stopped the conversation.
"I think we should just keep going like they know we are here but send some of our army to cut them off.” Jade said then looked at the others. “What do all of you think?”
“I think that would be the best thing to do.” Nightwind said then turned to Hawk, “Stay with the plan but see if we can increase our pace a little and send a couple of thousand around to the South to keep any from getting away if they decide to run.”
“I will take care of that.” Aspen said, “I’ll keep them from getting away if they see you and try to run.”
“When we get a little closer I’ll take my scouts and press North as fast as we can just in case they try to get away to the North.” Hawk said with a smile, “Before long it is not going to matter if they know we are here or not…they are not going anywhere unless we let them.”
“And we are not going to let them go.” Jade said firmly.
“Lets get some rest then put it in motion.” Aspen said as he stood up.
“Since we will be splitting up with Aspen going south and me and Nightwind going north who is going to lead the army?” Hawk asked.
“I thought Jade would with Leaf helping…he has been helping me.” Aspen said.
“I think it should be Mist or one of the other clan leaders that are with us or perhaps Leaf.” Jade replied.
“I will get with Mist and the other clan leaders.” Aspen said then started to leave.
“Aspen.” Jade said before he could leave. “They already put you in charge of their scouts while they are here so whatever you say they will do and you don’t have to ask them.”
“I know…I am going to tell them that while I’m away that Leaf will be the clans scout leader.” Aspen said with a smile.

XXXXXXXXXX

After descending the cliff, Aspen took a few thousand scouts and went South while Jade continued on West with the remaining force. Before Aspen left, Jade overheard him ask Willow to go with him. Without an explanation Willow had refused to go. Jade believed Willows reason for not going with Aspen lay long dead in the past. She only wished that Willow would leave it there. During the previous few days, Jade had seen morale reach near rock bottom. But now that they were at the bottom of the cliff and preparing to meet an enemy she noticed a renewed confidence in the composure of the army. As they followed the banks of Shadow River Jade could see the difference was evident. They seemed to notice every sound and movement the forest made. At night they regularly checked their weapons, making sure every knife and sword was sharp, and that every arrow was straight and true. As they marched toward Shadow Lake Jade, with Nightwinds help, checked the Anids position twice each day. Only to find that they had not moved. Two days from the Anids position Nightwind and Hawk went North with their scouts to block any escape for the Anid in that direction. Through the gray early morning mist, Jade led the main body of her army toward the Anid camp. As they neared the camp Jade called a halt while she and Greenleaf went forward to investigate the situation. While peering through the trees at the Anid camp Jade thought how unusual it was to get so close without being detected by mages who were most likely checking the area constantly.
{What do you think?} Jade asked Renee.
{It seems almost to easy.} Renee replied.
{I know, but I haven't seen any other force in the area and there is no sign of any creatures.} Jade told her as she motioned to Greenleaf that it was time to go back.
{Maybe the Anid mages are watching the West and not expecting any Elves to attack them from any other direction.} Renee told Jade on their way back to the army.
{You could be right.} Jade replied hoping there would be no surprises.
Upon rejoining the army Jade told Leaf what they had seen and he called for all the scout leaders for a meeting. She told them what her and Greenleaf had seen. Some argued that it appeared to easy because it was a set up. Jade countered their argument by pointing out that there was no evidence of a set up. Others wanted to go on with the attack as planned. While discussing what they should do messengers from both Aspen and Nightwind arrived. The messengers informed Jade and Leaf that the forces to the North and South were in place and ready, and that no other Anid had been spotted. With this information Leaf made the decision to go ahead with the attack. Leaf sent word back to Aspen and Nightwind that at sunrise they would attack, and for them to handle any Anid that came their way.
The morning of the attack was much like the last, and the battle was over almost as quickly as it had started and although the scouts had been told what to expect and what the Anid looked like this was there first up close an personal encounter with them. They saw that the Anid were not that different in appearance than they were. The same dark straight hair and pointy ears. The most notable difference was in the squared chin and long crooked nose.
Although the fight was quick and easy, the Anid learned a valuable lesson the hard way.
{They learned something today.} Jade told Renee.
{What?} Renee asked.
{Always watch your back. Just because your going one way doesn't mean no one is behind you.} Jade informed her.
{To bad they will not be able to put that wisdom to bad use.} Renee noted.
The stink of death was heavy in the air as Jade walked across the battlefield. The sadness on her face was easily apparent to any who saw her. There were near a thousand dead on the forest floor, and what was once green grass was know covered red with blood. Jade hated the idea of killing, no matter who it was. But she knew that in order to survive, she had no choice because as long as Kerrah ruled them they would fight for him…why…she did not know but they would. As she looked at the dead, she saw few of her scouts littering the ground. Jades army had suffered very few loses in the battle. Only forty-two dead and a few hundred wounded.
{The attack went well.} Renee commented as Jade walked toward the tents where the wounded were being treated.
{Yes it did.} Jade replied gloomily.
{You don't seem to thrilled about it.} Renee said.
{I don't like killing, and I especially don't like it when my own scouts die.} Jade said as she entered one of the tents, and found Greenleaf inside kneeling over a wounded scout.
"How is he?" Jade asked quietly.
"He will be fine.” Greenleaf said after he had finished healing the scouts wound.
"How long do you think it will take to heal all the wounded?" Jade asked as she watched Greenleaf go straight to the next patient.
"The rest of the day and most of the night, unless you decide to help.” Greenleaf replied as he pulled an arrow from his patients back and proceeded to heal the gash that remained.
Understanding what Greenleaf meant Jade went directly to the next scout who had a long deep cut running down her side. It was well past dark when the last of the wounded had been healed and the last of the dead had been buried or burned, depending on which side they had been on. Jade was halfway to her tent when Willow stopped her and said that Nightwind would be arriving shortly. Jade went on to her tent and fell asleep while waiting for Nightwind and her scouts to show up.
Jade was awakened early the next morning when Willow burst into her tent and told her that some mages had found a large group headed directly toward there present position.
"Where are they?" Jade asked as soon she arrived at the hill where Nightwind stood with Hawk and Aspen. "In that direction?" Nightwind said pointing to the Northwest.
"Can you tell who they are?" Hawk asked.
"No, I only got a glimpse before they shielded themselves.” Nightwind replied then added, "But that is the direction that Anid scout ran."
"What Anid scout?" Jade asked as she began searching the area Nightwind had indicated.
"We ran into a few of the Anid yesterday and one of them got away.” Nightwind explained.
"They are to well shielded to tell who they are, and they are only about a day or a day and a half away.” Jade said once she had completed her search.
"How many?" Aspen asked.
"At least a couple of thousand.” Nightwind said.
"What do you want to do?" Aspen asked Jade.
"We will wait for them. We outnumber them at least 30 to 1.” Jade replied.
“We could ambush them just over that hill.” Aspen said pointing in the direction of the Anid appeared to be coming from.

XXXXXXXXXX

While the sun was still rising Nightwind stood alone on a small rise outside of camp. Behind her the camp was buzzing with activity as Aspens plan was being set into motion. Nightwind looked back at the camp then turned facing Northwest and reached out with her mind. She easily found the camp of the approaching scouts, but found it difficult to penetrate their shields. While carefully searching for a way past the shields that surrounded the camp, Nightwind was surprised when she brushed across a mind. In hopes of not being discovered she quickly retreated back to her body. In thinking about what had Just happened, Nightwind realized that the mind she had encountered seemed somehow familiar. Maybe it was one she had brushed across in her previous probes, but she instantly dismissed the thought. The mind seemed much more familiar than that.
The sun was approaching its zenith as the final preparations were completed for ambushing the Anid scouts. Using her magic Jade searched the area to the Northwest and found the approaching scouts. Jade did not try to penetrate their shields, since she did not want them to know she had a surprise for them.
{They will be passing the outer perimeter soon.} Jade told Renee.
{Are we all set?} Renee asked.
{Truthfully, I am never ready for something like this. They don't stand a chance.} Jade replied.

XXXXXXXXXX

Nightshade left Shadow Lake with over eighteen hundred scouts. He had been sent to investigate a report the Combined Clans War Leader had received. The messenger had told lightning that a large force of the Anid had slipped around the Elves southern defense and were now on the Eastern side of Shadow Lake. In fear of an attack from the rear, Lightning asked Nightshade and his scouts to block any such threat. Nightshade jumped at the opportunity to track down the Anid, since it would give him a chance to look for his sister as well. She had not been seen since the day she left to find help in the Eastern parts of the forest. Before he could look for her however, he had to get rid of the Anid. After two days of following Shadow River, Nightshade found the Anid by using earth magic. The next morning while trying to locate them again he got a fleeting image of a most beautiful Elvin lady with flowing white hair. But as quickly as it had come it was gone.
"I can't find them Dew. It's almost like they did not even exist.” Nightshade told the scout leader from Shadow Lake.
"We are near the last place ya detected the Anid, maybe we can find some tracks we kin follow.” Dew replied in a squeaky voice.
"Okay, see what you can find, but it would have been a lot easier if that Anid scout had not fell on your knife earlier this morning.” Nightshade told her with a suspicious look on his face.
"I can't help it she was clumsy.” Dew replied innocently.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade sat in the undergrowth of the trees with Nightwind and Willow. The clearing was a short distance from where they had ambushed the Anid the day before. They waited patiently for what they expected to be another large force of Anid scouts.
"They're coming.” Nightwind said.
"How long before they get here?" Willow asked as she notched an arrow in her bow.
"Not long.” Nightwind calmly replied.
Jade sat waiting and going over the plan in her head. Hawk had one third of the army to her right and Aspen had one third of it to her left. Once the Anid scouts entered the clearing she would raise her hand signaling the scouts behind her to ready the attack. They in turn would signal Aspen and Hawk. When Jade believed the time was right, she would attack. With Aspen and Hawk flanking the enemy and crushing them. Jade felt a light tap on her shoulder and looked up to see the enemy entering the clearing. She thought they looked odd for Anid, but decided that there appearance did not matter. Once her army came down on them, what they looked like would not matter. They would be dead. Jade waited patiently for the Anid to file into the clearing. Just a few more, she thought to herself.
"Get ready.” She whispered to Willow and Nightwind.
"There is something familiar about that one in the lead.” Nightwind said as Jade was about to signal the attack.
"What do you mean?" Jade asked looking at the lead scout, who now had his back to her.
"I don't know. I just feel I should know him.” Nightwind replied with a perplexed look on her face. Jade looked at Nightwind then took a long look as the lead scout entered the clearing. When he turned to where Jade could see his face, she knew instantly who it was.
"That's my brother.” Jade said in a low voice.
"Your what?" Willow said, nearly shouting.
"My brother.” Jade repeated as she stood up and ran toward him. Nightwind and Willow had to act quickly to keep the other scouts from attacking as Jade ran into the clearing.
"Nightshade!" Jade yelled as she burst into the clearing. Surprised, Nightshade had his sword out and ready before he recognized the Elf running toward him.
"Jade!" He yelled as she neared him.
"It is good to see you again.” Jade said as she put her arms around her brothers neck.
"It's good to see you too. I was afraid you might be dead.” He replied as he returned her hug.
"Well I am very much alive, and I brought you a big surprise.” Jade said as she let go of her brothers neck and saw Nightwind and standing just inside the clearing.
"Oh, what did you bring?" He asked with a smile on his face that at the sight of his sister, would not go away.
"Just a few friends.” Jade said smiling as she motioned for Nightwind and Willow to join them. As Jades friends walked toward them a look of disbelief appeared on Nightshades face as he saw Nightwind.
"I've seen you before.” He told the white headed Elf who stopped in front of him.
"At least now I know why you seemed familiar.” Nightwind replied as she saw the resemblance between him and Jade. Jade whispered something to her friends who immediately walked back the way they had come.
"What did you tell them?" Nightshade asked as he watched them leave, "And where did you find the white headed one?"
"I asked them to tell the others to come out.” Jade replied and watched as her brothers mouth dropped open at the sight of thousands of elves stepping out of the tree line.
"I would never have believed there were so many Elves in the Eastern part of the forest.” Nightshade said as he stared all around him at the army Jade had brought with her.
"They did not come from our forest.” Jade said staring at her brothers bewildered face.
"Then where did you get them?" He asked.
"It's a long story that I will tell you after you set up camp.” Jade said with a smile.
Nightshade told his scouts to prepare camp, then he turned back to his sister with a curious expression on his face and said, "Jade you had me surrounded. What were you about to do?"
"You don't want to know how close it was.” Jade replied with a serious look.
"Then tell me why I did not detect you when I searched the area.” Nightshade said.
"I don't know, we have been shielding ourselves very well.” Jade said knowing that that would not answer the question.
"You know that I am one of the few mages that can detect a shield.” Nightshade reminded Jade.
"I could not detect your shield, why?" He asked.
{The stone. I'll bet it's the stone.} Renee said.
{You are probably right.} Jade replied.
"I'll have an answer for you when you come to my camp tonight.” Jade said with a loving smile.

XXXXXXXXXX

That night Jade sat with her brother and friends. She told him how she had come to find the Alarian Forest and its inhabitants. Jade took the stone from her pouch, and with gloved hands she held it out for him to see. Jade went on telling Nightshade all that had happened since she had left to find help in the Eastern reaches of the forest.
"Do you think you can kill Kerrah with that stone?" Nightshade asked.
"The Earth Mother said that I would find an army across the mountains, and I did. The Earth mother said that I would find the stone across the mountains, and I did. She also said that Kerrah could be killed with this stone, I will not question her.” Jade replied.
"I'm not questioning her. It's just that we are barely holding out at Shadow Lake, and Kerrah is sending reinforcements across the dessert.” Nightshade said with a look of near defeat on his face.
"When they get here even with the army you brought we may not be able to stop them.” Dew said as she walked up and sat next to Nightshade.
“It would be better if we could take on each of their armies separately.” Nightshade said.
"Do you know how long it will be before they get here?" Hawk asked Nightshade.
"Dew could tell you better than I could. She led the last scouting party that checked on them.
"They will be at Shadow Lake in about fifteen ta twenty days if they keep pace.” Dew said in reply to Hawks question.
"Jade, how long before we reach Shadow Lake?" Hawk asked as Nightwind stepped from behind him and into the light of the fire.
"That's remarkable.” Dew said as she saw Nightwind.
"What is?" Nightwind said coldly, noticing that Dew was starring at her.
"I'm sorry for starrin, it's just that I've never seen a white haired elf before.” Dew said apologizing for her rudeness.
"Well I have never seen two green eyed ones side by side before.” Nightwind said as she indicated Jade and Nightshade.
"How long to Shadow Lake?" Hawk asked again.
"Six days.” Jade answered with a slight smile that remained from the exchange between Dew and Nightwind.
"Hawk you are planning something aren't you?" Nightwind asked as she sat down next to him.
"Yes, but I will need more information to know if it will work or not.” Hawk replied.
"What do you need to know?" Nightshade asked from across the fire.
"First I'll need a map of this area and of Shadow Lake.” Hawk replied.
Since Dew was from Shadow and knew the area better than any of the scouts present, she drew the map. With a piece of charcoal and a dried deerskin, Dew set to making Hawk a map. When the map was finished Hawk looked at it and asked where the Anid and Elf scouts were positioned, making marks on the map as he was told where they were located. As Hawk studied the map more, he noticed a place were it looked like an army could be hidden.
"What's this place here?" He asked Dew, pointing to a spot on the map.
"That tis the Deep Valley.” Dew replied.
"Could we hide in there without any knowing it was there?" He asked.
"Easily.” Dew answered.
"Perfect!" Hawk said, almost unable to contain his enthusiasm. Nightwind was looking over Hawks shoulder at the map that was spread out on the ground. She had watched Dew draw the map and Hawk mark the locations of all the scouts. Now she watched as Hawk circled the Deep Valley, but with her best efforts she could not see what he had in mind.
"When are you going to tell us your plan?" Nightwind asked as she placed a hand on his shoulder. Hawk reached up and took Nightwinds hand in one of his own without replying to her question. Nightshade, not hearing Hawk answer looked up from the map at Nightwind. Not knowing why he stared at her, until she turned her gaze on him. When he caught her eyes the hair on the back of his neck stood on end and his eyes quickly went back to the map.
"Hawk what is your plan?" Nightwind asked with an edge in her voice that only Hawk picked up, and he knew it demanded an answer.
"The Anid are here.” Hawk said pointing to the areas of the map that marked the Anids location. "And this is where Nightshade says Lightnings forces are. Now if we can get to the Deep Valley unnoticed, and if Lightning will make a full retreat to this side of the lake to here, just a little South of the Deep Valley, then we can get them between the two armies.” Hawk said explaining the main point of his plan.
"It seems to be a good plan, and I think Lightning will agree. However there is one problem. The Anid reinforcements.” Nightshade said.
"Why are they a problem? They're fifteen to twenty days away.” Hawk said.
"From Shadow Lake, but they can reach the Deep Valley in ten to twelve.” Dew explained. "It will take me six days to get back to Shadow Lake, a day to get ready to retreat, and then we will have to fight the Anid while on the move so it will take us at least four or five days to reach the Deep Valley. That's at least eleven to twelve days.” Nightshade told Hawk.
"I see your point.” Hawk said as he looked down at the map.
"Give me a thousand scouts and I'll slow them down enough that it won't matter how long it takes you.” Jade said to her brother.
"Jade, there must be close to a hundred thousand Anid in that army. How are you going to slow them down with a thousand?" Nightshade asked.
"By getting in their way.” Jade replied nonchalantly.
"Jade I won't let you, it's suicide.” Nightshade began to argue his point.
"You can't stop me.” Jade replied staunchly. Nightshade started to say something when he noticed the stern look on Jades face, and knew that his words would have no effect on her decision.
"Okay I give up, but you will take Dew and five hundred of our scouts with you.” Nightshade said with resignation in his voice.
"Alright then it's settled, you will take Hawks plan back to Lightning in the morning while we go on to the Deep Valley.” Jade told Nightshade.
"And from there you go on your suicide mission.” Nightshade said with an edge to his voice.

XXXXXXXXXX

After everyone had gone back to their tents for the night Jade and her brother sat alone.
"Mother and father were worried about you.” Nightshade said quietly. "How are they?" Jade asked.
"They are fine and will be very happy to know that you are alive.” Nightshade responded.
"And very upset if you get yourself killed.
"Tell them not to worry.” Jade said knowing that they would no matter what.
"Did any of the others make it back?" Jade asked, wondering if any of the other scouts that were sent to find help came back alive.
"They all did. Some found a few small clans in the far reaches of the forest.” He replied.
"Did any come to help?" "They all did, but there were only about a thousand total.” Nightshade answered.
"That is better than none.” Jade said.
"You said that you would tell me why I could not detect you and the army.” Nightshade said, remembering what Jade had told him earlier.
"It has to be the stone that keeps us from being detected. Like you said, only a few mages can detect a shield. I sent Nightwind and Greenleaf out to test my theory, and neither one of them could detect the shields or the army. I even tried it. I left the stone with Willow and went back down the river a ways. When I searched the area it was like the army was not even here.” Jade said, telling Nightshade why she believed he could not detect her and her army by using earth magic.
"Did you try it by taking the stone out of camp?" Nightshade asked.
"No, because if I did that it could leave us open to detection by the Anid.” Jade said.
"If it is the stone that is hiding you and the army, then how are you going to keep the Anid from detecting the army when you leave them in the Deep Valley?" Nightshade asked.
"I've thought about that. The mages in the army can keep the Anid from finding out what is behind the shield, making them think it is a part of your army. Hawk and Aspen will likely not give them much time to search anyway…at least not thoroughly.” Jade told him.
"But would it not be better to keep the army completely hidden?" Nightshade said.
"Of course it would, but I will be needing all the advantage I can get when I take fifteen hundred scouts out to meet with close to a hundred thousand Anid.” Jade said bluntly then after a short pause added,
"I am getting the impression that you don't understand that we have to slow down the Anid reinforcements, and most all of us agree that even with the army I brought it will be near impossible to defeat both of Kerrahs armies if they combine."
"Why don't we change the subject. You are going to do what you are going to do and I can't stop you.” Nightshade stated.
“It is bout time ye realized that.” Dew said as she joined them. “I take it you are still trying to talk her out of doing what needs to be done.”
"I know it needs to be done I just don’t want you to do it Jade." Nightshade said to his sister.
“So you volunteer me to go with her.” Dew asked as she sat next to Nightshade. “Trying to get rid of me before we are officially mated I see.” Dew added with a smirk.
"This is a no win situation for me I see.” Nightshade replied.
"Tell us some more about the Alarian Forest and how you was able to get all those scouts to follow you.” Nightshade said to Jade then turned to Dew and smiled.
"Where would you like me to start with my story?" Jade asked.
"The beginning would be nice.” Nightshade said with a mischievous grin, knowing how much Jade hated repeating herself.
"May I see the stone again?" Dew asked after Jade had told them everything that had happened since leaving the Green Forest.
"I'll show it to you, but you cannot touch it.” Jade said as she put on a pair of gloves.
"It tis beautiful.” Dew said as she gazed at the glowing stone.
"Have you found out how you can use it yet?" Nightshade asked.
"Like I told you earlier, when it comes time to use it I'm certain I will know then.” Jade replied.
"With the help you brought back, and the hope that Hawks plan will work, I think we can push the Anid back across the desert were they belong.” Dew said harshly.
"I hope we can.” Jade said with a tired voice.
"You look tired. I think I'll see if I can find a place to put up my tent and let you get some sleep.” Nightshade said as he stood up.
"I know where you can sleep, and ya will nawt have ta set up a tent.” Dew said in an alluring but still squeaky voice.
"I'll see you tomorrow.” Nightshade told his sister as he took Dews hand letting her lead the way.

XXXXXXXXXX

Nightshade left early the next morning leaving Dew and five hundred scouts behind. He would take Hawks plan and present it to Lightning for his certain approval.
"Morning Jade.” Dew said as she walked up to stand next to Jade.
"Hello Dew.” Jade said as they watched Nightshade leave.
"Aspen asked me to tell ya that he tis ready to go.” Dew said.
"Lead the way.” Jade replied and turned to follow Dew with one last look at her brother and his scouts.
"Ya have a wonderful brother.” Dew said as they went to meet Aspen.
"He said that you two are planning on becoming lifemates?" Jade asked with a slight smile.
"We have talked about it, but at the moment we are not sure.” Dew replied with a smile that was uncertain then added, "I would like to, but I need to be sure of my decision."
"If you decide to take my brother as your mate. I want you to know that I would be very pleased to have you as a member of our clan or for my brother to be a member of yours.” Jade said and watched Dews uncertain smile become one of certainty.
"We are ready when you are.” Aspen said when he saw them coming.
"Dew you lead the way.” Jade said as they started out.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Allison

Awesome story Eire. I am still amazed. Waiting patiently Wink

Alli

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
desert-fish

It seems a good plot...well thought out...i'm waiting patiently for the rest of it... Very Happy

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:46 pm 
Mdm Prez

Eire

I'm reading this at 3 a.m., all noise and sounds are silenced.

You are really a great writer, Eire. Exceptional talent.

Cat

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:09 am 
Mdm Prez

Eire

HEY, ARE YOU GOING TO FINISH THIS, OR WHAT?

Cat

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:49 am 
desert-fish

That goes for me too.... Wink

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:57 pm 
RedIsTheNewBlackBabe

poke..

lets work out a deal.. more form and varried style for more story?

-Red

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Allison:
Awesome story Eire. I am still amazed. Waiting patiently Wink

Alli

Allison,

Thank you very much...you know it is all your fault this story is being posted here...very happy you have lots of patience.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:22 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by pale mirage:
It seems a good plot...well thought out...i'm waiting patiently for the rest of it... Very Happy

Pale,

Thank you...that is very sweet of you to say Smile

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:23 am 
Eiregirl

Re: Eire

quote:
Originally posted by Mdm Prez:
I'm reading this at 3 a.m., all noise and sounds are silenced.

You are really a great writer, Eire. Exceptional talent.

Cat

Embarassed Embarassed Thank you

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:24 am 
Eiregirl

Re: Eire

quote:
Originally posted by Mdm Prez:
HEY, ARE YOU GOING TO FINISH THIS, OR WHAT?

Cat

Mdm,

Yes I am going to finish it...I have just been a little busy with other things for the past few months and have worked on it some but not as much as I would like but it is coming along.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:26 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by pale mirage:
That goes for me too.... Wink

Pale...it is coming Very Happy I would say soon but you never know LOL

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:28 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by RedIsTheNewBlackBabe:
poke..

lets work out a deal.. more form and varried style for more story?

-Red

Red,

Thank you very much for the reply...I must admit I do not fully understand the deal...what form and varried style are you going to give me for more story?

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:32 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: