BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Jade (Rough Chapter Five Part two)

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Jade (Rough Chapter Five Part two)

This chapter was to long to post as a single post so it was broken into two parts.

This is part two

XXXXXXXXXX

Two days later they camped on the shores of Brightwater Lake. Jade walked to the shore of the lake to watch the sun slowly set behind the mountains. As the last rays of the day shimmered across the lake, she thought how strange the site was. In the Green Forest the sun rose from behind those same distant mountains. These thoughts made Jade think of her home and family. She wondered how they were, and hoped they fared well against Kerrah and his army.
{It is a beautiful sunset.} Renee said as she watched through Jades eyes.
{Yes it is. Before I came here I had never thought that elves watched the sunset behind the same mountains that I watched it rise from.} Jade replied a little sadly.
{You don't seem to impressed by it.} Renee commented.
{I was thinking of my home and family.} Jade replied.
{How do you think they are doing?} Renee asked.
{I don't know. That depends on whether or not Kerrahs reinforcements have joined with his army.} Jade answered.
{We can only hope for the best.}
{But I'm still worried and a little scared that we might not make it back in time to help them.} Jade said with her feelings clearly readable by Renee.
{We will make it.} Renee said with assurance as they watched the Sun complete its decent and the last shimmer of light flicker across the lake.
{I hope Hawk and Aspen can get there in time to help.} Jade said to Renee with a hint of worry as she looked down at the water and saw her own reflection looking back at her and that of another.
“Nightwind I wish you would not do that.” Jade said as she looked up at Nightwind.
“If you were not in such deep thought you may have noticed when I walked up behind you.” Nightwind said calmly as she sat down next to Jade. “What were you thinking about?”
“Home and whether or not Hawk and Aspen will be able to make it in time to help. I have been gone a long time and for all I know the Anid could be all the way to Clearwater Lake or even on their way here.” Jade replied.
“How long have you been away?” Nightwind asked and Jade looked up at the moon that was rising behind her.
“Almost two cycles of the moon as best as I can determine.”
“From the gathering they should be about halfway to the Mountains by now.” Nightwind said and looked over at Jade.
“It will take them longer to get to Shadow Lake than it did to reach the mountains. That is so much time…time for Kerrah to gather another army and set them to marching.” Jade said softly as she looked at Nightwind.
“In the end it will be as it should be.” Nightwind said as she laid a hand on top of Jades and smiled softly. Jade returned the smile and was about to say something when Willow and Wind rushed by and dove into the water.
“Shall we join them?” Nightwind asked.
{She is acting odd for her.} Renee said.
“Why not…I could use a good swim.” Jade said as they both stood and removed their clothes and dove into the water.
Greenleaf heard all the splashing and removed the cook pot from the fire and went to check it out.
“Females…such a strange lot…but nice to look at.” Greenleaf said to himself then went back to finish cooking. “It would be my turn to cook.”

XXXXXXXXXX

After leaving Brightwater Lake, it took three days for them to reach the cavern where Greenleaf said the stone had been hidden. They camped in a grove of Sigil trees that night and would enter the nearby cavern the next morning since Greenleaf said that it would take them almost half a day to get to the stone. When Renee first saw the huge Sigil trees none of which stood less than three hundred feet tall and at least forty feet across. She was reminded of the great redwoods she had seen when her father had taken her camping once when she was a child. Even then she had not seen such huge trees.
{Is there any other place trees like this grow here?} Renee asked.
{I don't know about this forest, but in the Green Forest Sigil trees only grow around Crystal Lake.} Jade replied.
{When I was just a little kid my father took me camping in a forest of trees nearly as huge as these.} Renee said as Jade walked among the huge trees.
{Tell me some more about where you came from.} Jade said as she sat down with her back against a huge tree trunk.
{What would you like me to talk about?} Renee asked.
{Anything, anything at all.} Jade replied then listened as Renee began telling her about her childhood Indian Reservation and how she had studied dance at Juliard in a place called New York City and danced in plays at a place called Broadway before moving to Los Angeles.

XXXXXXXXXX

The next morning they all walked from the Sigil grove to a cliff not far away. As they stood in front of the cliff, Greenleaf placed both of his hands on the rock wall and they began to glow a faint blue that became brighter and brighter, then suddenly faded away. As the blue light faded the rock in front of him began to shimmer and fade away and an opening appeared before him. Greenleaf walked through the opening and took a torch from the wall, lighting it with a spark of magefire. After they were all inside he led them down the passage, through all of its twists and turns. He would stop occasionally to deactivate one of the many magical traps that paved the way. Some were quick and easy to dispel while others took some time. After what seemed like days of walking the passage they came to an intersection where three other passages joined theirs. Greenleaf took the passage to the left and told them not to enter the others. When asked, why not? He replied that to do so was sure death. They followed Greenleaf without further word. After a short while a faint pulsing red glow was seen coming from the far end of the passage. As they got closer to the light it began to pulse faster and become brighter.
“Is that the stone?” Willow said peering down the passage as Greenleaf stopped to dispel yet another unseen trap.
“Yes.” Greenleaf said as he concentrated on the spell. Before they could finally stand at the entrance to the stones chamber, Greenleaf had to stop twice more to remove spells that blocked their way. Willow started to walk on into the chamber, but before she could pass through the entrance Greenleaf grabbed her arm and jerked her back. Willow landed roughly on floor. She gave Greenleaf a surprised look as she rubbed her arm, but Greenleaf said not a word as he began waving his hands back and forth across the opening. As his hands began to glow the air around the entrance started to sparkle a bright blue. Greenleaf began waving his hands faster and faster until there was a sudden flash of light that was so bright it seemed to light the entire passage and the cavern beyond.
“Now you may enter.” Greenleaf said as he slowly turned to look at Willow, who was still sitting on the floor. He reached out a hand and helped her up.
“Thank you.” Willow said as she stood and walked into the chamber with the others following close behind. Looking around they saw smooth obsidian walls that were as black as midnight and starkly contrasted with the white stone floor. The cavern was empty, except for a pedestal, which appeared to float about five feet above its center with a large open pit beneath it. Upon the pedestal rested the stone of Kerrah that no longer pulsed, but glowed a bright blood red.
“This place is huge.” Wind said as she looked around and listened to her voice echo off the walls.
“How do we get to the stone?” Jade asked as she stood at the edge of the seemingly bottomless pit.
“That, I do not know.” Greenleaf replied as they stared down into the pit.
“It's to far to jump, besides there is nothing to land on anyway.” Nightwind stated as she looked across the void at the stone.
{Why not just go over there and get it?} Renee said as though it was as simple as walking across and picking the stone up.
{If I tried that I would end up at the bottom of that pit.} Jade replied thinking Renee crazy for even suggesting such a thing.
{But Jade, there is no pit to fall into.} Renee said in what Jade took to be a soft tone, but sometimes it was hard to tell in what manner the voice in her head spoke.
{But I see a pit with a pedestal floating above it.} Jade replied.
{Trust me. Pick up a rock and throw it into the pit, and you will see it disappear while I will see it land on solid stone.} Renee suggested. Jade found a rock nearby and threw it into the pit and watched as it instantly disappeared while Renee saw it land on solid stone.
{That proves nothing because I saw the rock fall into the pit like you said I would.} Jade told her a little frustrated at what she thought was a waste of time.
{Let me have control of your body, and then maybe you can see what I'm talking about.} Renee suggested to Jade.
{I don't know about that.} Jade said remembering the last time Renee took control of her.
{Damn it Jade, just trust me.} Renee told her sternly with no reply from Jade. {What? Don't you trust me yet?}
{I trust you, but I just don't have any plans to die yet.} Jade said as she thought about what Renee was suggesting.
{Well?} Renee asked.
{There are few options available at the moment.} Jade said as she sat on the edge of the pit with her legs dangling over the edge. {But if there is solid rock there I don't feel it.} {Let me show you what I see.} Renee continued her argument.
{There are no guarantees I will see it.} Jade said as she stood up.
{There are no guarantees of anything, but what if you do?} Renee replied.
{Okay.} Jade said giving in to Renee. As soon as she had control of Jades body, Renee immediately stepped toward the stone. No longer in control of her own body, Jade could only watch as Renee walked toward the stone. Willow reached out to grab her as she stepped over the edge, but stopped to look on in awe as Renee walked to the pedestal and removed the stone from its resting place then walked back.
“What?” Renee said as she looked at the bewildered faces staring at her. “Is there something wrong with the way I walk?”
“Only the fact that you walk on air.” Nightwind replied.
“Renee?” Willow said recognizing the tone of voice from the night in her lodge, but before she could say more the cavern began to tremble beneath their feet.
“Everyone out!” Greenleaf shouted as he ran for the passages. None hesitated to follow. Before they could all get out of the cavern and into the passage, the ceiling began collapsing sending clouds of dust chasing them through the passages. A loud rumble of rocks crashing together followed them as they ran through the passages. As the sound of crashing rocks faded the cloud of dust overtook them as they ran for the entrance and the light of the sun.
{Jade?} Renee had been trying to talk to Jade as they ran through the passage but never got a reply
“What in all of the Great Woods was that?” Willow asked once the dust had cleared.
“I believe that was the last trap.” Renee said in a matter of fact way as she brushed the dust from her tunic. Greenleaf, who was sitting close by, looked at Jade thoughtfully. He could not put his finger on it, but he thought that something seemed different about her.
“Jade, how did you know that you could simply walk over and pick up that stone?” Nightwind asked in her normal calm voice.
“She didn't do it.” Willow said as she sat down next to Renee.
“Very good Willow.” Renee said as she patted Willow on the back, raising a cloud of dust as she did.
“What are you talking about?” Greenleaf with a curious look directed toward Willow.
“By the change in the tone of her voice, I would say that we are now talking to Renee.” Willow replied. “Renee?” Greenleaf said with a look of genuine curiosity as he remembered what Willow had said about the other spirit in Jade.
“In the flesh so to speak” Renee said.
“How did you know you could get the stone?” Nightwind asked.
“All of you were seeing a bottomless pit under the stone…but all I saw was the floor so I talked Jade into letting me prove to her that there was a floor then when she let me have control of her body I just walked out and grabbed the stone.” Renee told her with a smile. “By the way…you are gorgeous and I love your hair.” Renee added and got a slight smile…or smirk from Nightwind…she was not sure which.
{Jade.} Renee said but received no response.
“Thank you.” Nightwind said as she cleaned the dust off herself.
Renee received no response from Jade as she tried talking to her on the way back to their camp under the Sigil trees. Renee sat with her back propped against one of the huge tree trunks wondering why she could not contact Jade. She looked down at the stone that was still clutched tightly in her hand. Staring at the stone Renee noticed that it now emitted only a soft glow. She tried turning control of Jades body back to her but could not do it then she tried again and again.
{Jade? Why can't you hear me? . . . Jade . . . Jade answer me!} Renee tried again becoming frustrated. She looked around the camp and saw Willow getting into her bedroll.
“Willow I can't talk to Jade.” Renee said as she knelt beside Willows bed.
“What?” Willow said not truly understanding what Renee meant.
“I can't talk to Jade.” Renee repeated.
“Oh.” Willow said remembering how Jade could communicate with Renee.
“Has something happened to her?”
“I don't know.” Renee replied as Willow sat up on her blanket.
“When did this happen?” Willow asked as she brushed her hair back from her eyes.
“I noticed it on the way out of the cave.” Renee said as she sat down.
“After you got the stone.” Willow said thoughtfully.
“Do you think the stone has something to do with it?” Renee said knowing what Willow was thinking.
“It's possible I suppose but the question is, how?” Willow answered.
“Maybe it is because she is touching the stone.” Nightwind said having overheard their conversation from her nearby bedroll.
“Maybe.” Renee said as she sat turning the stone in her hand. After looking at it a moment she gently laid in on the ground in front of her. As she moved her hand away from the stone she gritted her teeth and grabbed her head in pain as a voice screamed in her head.
{Renee!!!!}
{Not so damned loud!} Renee replied strongly.
{What happened? I haven't been able to hear or see anything since you picked up the stone!} Jade said still a little upset.
{I'm not sure, I think the stone somehow blocked you out.} Renee said.
{Blocked me out?!} Jade asked.
{Yes, and you can stop yelling!} Renee replied a little harshly.
{Sorry, I didn't realize I was yelling. You said that the stone somehow kept you from hearing me.} Jade said calmly.
{When I was touching the stone it was like you were not there, but when I put the stone down…}
{I came rushing back.} Jade said competing what Renee had been saying.
“Can you talk to her now?” Greenleaf asked as he sat waiting to find out the results of Nightwinds suggestion.
“Yes, I was just telling Jade what was happening.” Renee replied.
“Does she have any idea how she will use the stone?” Wind asked.
“No, not yet.” Renee said.
{Renee, I want my body back.} Jade said as she began to feel like a puppet.
{Let me stay out a while longer.}
{Let me out now!} Jade demanded.
{Please Jade, just for one day. Just until we stop tomorrow night.} Renee pleaded. Jade started to protest but remembered that Renee had agreed to stay and help when she could have gone back to her home. There was also the fact that Renee had forced her way out once and could likely do so anytime she wanted.
{Okay, but only until tomorrow night, and don't get comfortable.} Jade said.
{Thank you.} Renee told Jade.
{I don't see how you can stand being in here like this.} Jade told Renee.
{It takes getting use to.} Renee said with a smile.
{Most likely when I pick up the stone it will be like before do you have anything in your pack I could put it in?} Renee asked Jade.
{I think I have a small pouch in my pack that you could put it in and I have some gloves also.} Jade said. Renee rummaged around in Jades pack until she found the gloves and small pouch. She placed the stone in the pouch then placed it in Jades belt-pouch.
{You have a very nice body and I think I can actually feel the magic flowing through it. Kind of tingles a little.} Renee said.
{It is the magic of the earth. It flows from the earth to you and then back to the earth. We have talked about that before remember?} Jade told her.
{I remember but it is different feeling it.} Renee said with a smile and felt Jade smile as well.

XXXXXXXXXX

Renee woke up with the predawn sun at the sound of Nightwind adding some wood to the fire. She looked around noticing that everyone else was still sleeping so she knew Nightwind had taken the last watch.
“Good morning.” Renee told Nightwind.
“Did you sleep well?” Nightwind asked looking toward Renee.
“Yes, thank you.” Renee said as she stood and stretched then started rolling up her bedroll.
{Jade are you there?} Renee asked.
{I’m here.} Jade replied.
{I can feel her eyes on me.} Renee said.
“Are you hungry?” Nightwind ask.
“Yes.” Renee replied.
“Wake them then we will go down by the water and pick some berries while they are packing.” Nightwind said as she finished packing her bedroll and grabbed two pouches.
Renee woke the others then followed Nightwind to a berry patch that was nestled up close to a stream a short distance from their camp. She could smell the sweet scent of the berries on the other side of the hill before she ever saw them.
“They smell good.” Renee said as they crossed the hill but Nightwind did not reply.
{It is odd seeing everything you see but not feeling your movements or smelling anything…it is so strange.} Jade told Renee.
{Like I told you…it takes some getting use to. It made me nuts all that time I was stuck in your head and could not communicate with you. I thought it was just a dream.} Renee replied.
{Can you still feel the magic?} Jade asked and Renee could tell Jade was smiling inside.
{Yes I can and I like the feeling.} Renee replied with a smile as she started picking berries. She saw Nightwind glance at her.
“Is there something on your mind?” Renee asked her.
“Who are you and why are you here?” Nightwind asked.
“You may call me Renee and I’m here because I’m hungry.” Renee replied as she slipped a couple of the sweet berries in her mouth.
“Where did you come from?” Nightwind asked un-phased by the sarcastic reply.
“From here I am not sure but I am from a planet called Earth and I am still not sure if this is the same planet at a different time or different place altogether. Anyway I lived in a city called Los Angeles and I owned and maybe still own a dance studio where I teach people to dance.” Renee said.
“I have seen Jade dance and she is very good and graceful.” Nightwind said.
{When did she see me dance?} Jade asked.
“When did you see that?” Renee asked as she continued to fill the pouch with berries.
“At the gathering…the night before we left.” Nightwind said with a slight smile.
“Hmm.”
{Hmm what?} Jade asked.
{Nothing.}
“This should be enough.” Nightwind said turning away and jogging back to camp.

XXXXXXXXXX

After eating they broke camp and decided the fastest way to reach the pass to cross the Sunset Mountains was to head straight for it and only detour when absolutely required. Wind took the lead as they started out and by the time they stopped for the midday meal they had left the Sigil Trees far behind.
{Your body is in wonderful shape. I’m not even breathing hard and we have been running ever since we left this morning and I feel like I could keep going.} Renee said.
{I will take that as a compliment.} Jade replied.
{Well you damn well better because you have a wonderful body…and everything is where it is suppose to be.} Renee replied.
“Jade…I mean Renee would you like some fresh fruit?” Willow said handing Renee what looked like a nice juicy apple.
“Thank you.” Renee said then took a bite from it and decided it was an apple.
“How is Jade doing in there?” Willow asked.
“She is…dealing with it.” Renee said with a smile.
As the day went on Renee’s companions got to know her better even though she had been traveling with them from the start but she had been the unseen companion they knew nothing about. Now with Renee being in control of Jades body they got the chance to learn a little about her and what her life was like. She told them about her life and what her dreams had been as a child and her love for music and dance. How she loved getting out of the city and smelling the fresh air because of all the pollution in the city. By the time they stopped to make camp Renee was thinking how the day had passed far to quickly and she knew that it would be best if Jade was back in control of her own body and she reluctantly released her control of it back to Jade as they watched the sunset once again.
{Thank you Jade.} Renee said softly.
{I know you want to stay in control and if you would like another day or two…} Jade said but was cut off by Renee.
{I know you were going nuts in here…} Renee started saying.
{I think I could handle another day or two.} Jade replied.
{Thank you so much.} Renee said with glee.
Over the next three days Renee learned a little about how Jade was able to control the magic that flowed through her body. She learned that with a little concentration she could stop the magic from flowing out and build it up in her body then she learned that controlling its release might need a little practice and Willow with her singed hair would agree. After three days they stopped to set camp on a ridge overlooking a valley.
{You have some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen.} Renee said as she gave control of jades body back to her.
{Thank you.}
{You are welcome and the experience has made me appreciate more your staying to help. I should be thanking you.} Jade said as they watched the sun slowly set through one pair of eyes.
Later that night as she was sitting by the fire, Jade reached into her belt-pouch and took out the leather bag that contained the stone. Even before opening the drawstring she could see the stones bright red glow. All she wanted to do was get a close look at the stone, but as soon as her fingers touched it she lost control of her body and found herself trapped in the tight confines of another's mind.
{What did you do?} Renee asked receiving no answer until she looked down and saw the leather bag laying on her lap. Inside the pouch she could feel the warm touch of the stone on her fingers and knew what had happened. She took her hand away from the stone and placed the bag back into Jades belt pouch.
{All I wanted was to get a good look at the stone.} Jade said after Renee had put the stone away.
{I don't think you should touch it again, at least for a while.}Renee told Jade.
{How am I going to use it to kill Kerrah if I can't touch it?} Jade said frustrated by the situation.
{I'm sure there is a way or the Earth Mother would not have sent you to find it.} Renee said trying to comfort Jade.
{I hope so…I really hope so. Now can I have my body back?} Jade replied.
{In a little while.} Renee said as she looked up at the stars.
{Why not now?} Jade asked.
{You should have learned your lesson the first time we touched that rock besides I want to look at the stars and go for a short walk first.} Renee said with a smile.
The next morning while breaking camp, Greenleaf asked Jade if he could look at the stone. Having learned her lesson Jade reached into her pouch with gloved hands and removed the stone from its pouch. She held it out for him to see. As Jade held out the stone she slowly turned it in her hand as Greenleaf leaned forward for a good look.
"It looks just the way it did when Alarian showed it to me.” Greenleaf said as he sat back.
"All I have to do now is figure out a way to use it, and only being able to touch it wearing gloves does not help.” Jade said with a frustrated tone in her voice.
"I hope so, but for now we had better go if we are going to catch up with Aspen and Hawk." Wind said as Jade put the stone back in the pouch and stood up.
“If we travel fast we should catch them a few days after we cross the pass. Because of their numbers they will be moving slower.” Willow said.
“Yes but we still have many days ahead of us.” Nightwind said in her usual calm almost cold voice.

XXXXXXXXXX

A few days later after setting up camp for the night Jade noticed Nightwind carving on a long piece of wood.
"What are you making?" Jade asked as she took in the view.
"A new bow. Mine was damaged by one of the Anid mages and today I found a piece of wood suitable to make a new one.” Nightwind replied.
"You do fine work.” Jade said as she looked at some of the intricate designs Nightwind had started carving into the wood.
"I notice that you do not carry a bow.” Nightwind said looking up from her work.
"I lost it shortly after I crossed the mountains when I lost my memory as well.” Jade replied.
"If…if you would like…I could make you one.” Nightwind said with all the edge in her voice gone.
"I would like that, if you don't mind.” Jade said, a little surprised by the offer.
"Not at all, I will find some wood then after I finish mine I will make yours. I will have it ready for you by the time we reach the pass.” Nightwind said as she stood up and walked away without saying another word.
{There is something about her and I just can not put my finger on it.} Jade told Renee as she watched Nightwind walk away.
{I know, and she is packed full of surprises. Who would have thought that someone as cold as her could carve so beautifully.} Renee replied as Jade sat down to watch the sunset.
{She walks her own path.} Jade said as she looked out across the foothills. In the distance she could see the mountains towering above the forest, even though they were days away.
{Majestic aren't they?} Renee asked.
{What?} Jade asked, her thoughts being elsewhere.
{The mountains, they are majestic.}
{Yes they are something to behold.} Jade replied. To Renee she sounded as faraway as her thoughts had been.
{You sound a little homesick.} Renee commented.
{I am a little.} Jade replied softly, {and you.}
{A little, but unlike you I have no true family.} Renee said sadly.
{Still there must be something to make you homesick.} Jade said as she started to carve on her flute and watch the sunset.
{I have some friends I miss a little, and I miss my work.} Renee said as she looked through Jades eyes at the distant mountains, but did not see them. Two seeing as one watched the last sliver of light slip into the night

XXXXXXXXXX

After several long nights of work Nightwind finally finished making Jades bow far sooner than she had said she would. She set it next to her own and admired her work. The engraving and workmanship were identical and would make any master carver blush with envy. Nightwind picked up one of the bows and laid it across Jades pack so that she would find it when she awoke the next morning. The next morning Jade found the bow lying across her pack. She marveled at the exquisite detail of the engravings that ran along the back of the bow and the runes carved around the top and bottom of the grip.
{Nightwind did excellent work.} Renee told Jade.
{I've never seen better. The swirls of vines and images of the hunt are familiar to me, but the runes I've never seen any like them before.} Jade said to Renee as she ran her hand along the runes.
{What do you think they mean?} Renee asked.
{I don't know, but I know how to find out.} Jade said as she stood and walked to where Nightwind was sitting.
"Nightwind, thank you for the bow…it is very beautiful.” Jade said.
“You’re welcome.” Nightwind said and Jade thought she saw a glint in her eyes.
“What do these runes mean? I've never seen them before.” Jade asked Nightwind.
"The runes that encircle the top of the grip, will when the bow is first drawn, identify that elf as the bows owner. The runes that encircle the bottom of the grip will not allow the bow to be used against the owner.” Nightwind explained as she pointed to the runes.
"What about these?" Jade asked pointing to the symbols carved into the grip itself.
"Don't worry about them.” Nightwind said glancing over at Jade.
"Where did you learn about such runes?" Jade asked, but received no reply.
"You are full of mysteries aren't you?" Jade said when she did not get an answer to her first question.
"From head to toe.” Nightwind replied with a rarely seen smile.
"You do beautiful work.” Jade said as she turned to go pack her bedroll.
"Thank you.” Jade heard Nightwind say then watched as she walked away.
“Have you had any luck with the stone?” Greenleaf asked as he rolled up his bedroll.
“Jade?” Greenleaf called to her
“What?” Jade said as she was brought back to reality.
“Have you had any luck with the stone?” Greenleaf asked again.
“No. Every time I touch it I lose control.” Jade replied.
That night as they stopped for the day Jade dropped the stone from it’s pouch into her hand and tried as hard as she could to resist losing control as Renee tried to keep from gaining control of Jades body but no matter how hard they both tried the attempt was fruitless.
"Greenleaf I have no idea how I can possibly use that stone.” Jade said after trying yet again to hold the stone and somehow use its power.
"Sooner or later something will work.” Wind said as she poked the fire and added more wood.
"You were able to hold the stone a little longer this time.” Willow said from her bedroll.
"But neither I nor Renee were able to resist the change and I think I was only able to hold it longer because she was resisting it." Jade said as she stared at the stone.
"We will find the answer.” Greenleaf said as he stroked his beard in thought.
"I could feel its power and it was…" Jade said unable to find the right word to describe the power she felt in the stone.
{Awesome.} Renee told her.
"Yes, like Renee said. It was awesome but I could not doing anything with it.” Jade said as she looked up at Greenleaf.
"Somehow we will find a way.” Greenleaf said as he stood and went to his bedroll.
“Maybe she is not meant to use it.” Nightwind said as she came back to the camp with some fresh meat and berries.
“What do you mean?” Willow asked.
“Maybe Renee is meant use the stone.” Nightwind said as she looked into Jades eyes.
{We have tried that and it does not work.} Renee said to Jade.
“We have tried and it does not work.” Jade said.
“Then we are in trouble.” Wind said as she continued to poke at the fire.
Jade, unable to sleep sat staring up at the stars. She was worried that without the stone there might not be any way to stop Kerrah.
{Don't worry when the time comes we will do what is necessary.} Renee said with surety.
{That reminds me of something Nightwind said and just like her you said that like you know something.} Jade questioned her, but received no reply.
Nightwind sat with her back against a tree and looked over at Jade and wondered if green eyed Elf would be able to figure a way to use the stone. She watched Jades chest rise and fall and knew by her breathing that Jade was still awake. Jade looked over at Nightwind and looked into those eyes and felt her breathing grow deeper.
{What are you thinking?} Renee asked.
{Jade…what are you thinking?}
{Nothing…nothing at all.} Jade replied as she watched Nightwind stand and take a step toward her then turn and walk off into the forest.

XXXXXXXXXX

"There it is.” Jade said as they stood at the top of the pass and looked out over the Green Forest with the sun starting to set behind the horizon.
“Look over there.” Wind pointed off into the distance. “Campfires.”
“They are about two days travel from us. It will take us three days maybe less to catch them.” Nightwind said as she approached Jade.
“I think we should camp here and continue at sunrise.” Greenleaf said as he sat down and leaned against a boulder.
“You have a beautiful forest here.” Nightwind said as she placed a hand on Jades shoulder and looked out over the green canopy of the huge forest below.
{She is right…it is a beautiful site.} Renee said.
“Yes it is.” Jade said as she turned her head and looked at Nightwind then back at her home.
“Where is your clans home?” Nightwind asked.
“Over there.” Jaded pointed off to the Northwest. “It’s about fifteen days fast travel to Clearwater Lake where my clan lives.”
“We are going to Shadow Lake right?” Nightwind asked.
“Yes…toward the sunset.” Jade said pointing west toward Shadow Lake and the campfires of the Elves from the Alarian Forest.
“How long will it take us?” Willow asked.
“From here I am not sure. At least twenty days if we travel as we have been maybe more but for them it will take longer.” Jade said as she pointed toward the campfires.
“I would wager they all loved the view from here.” Willow said as she felt the chill breeze blow through her hair and thought how beautiful it was.

XXXXXXXXXX

As night fell three days later Nightwind looked out across a valley dotted with campfires.
"I think we are being watched.” Nightwind said as Jade slipped up beside her.
“I agree, but I cannot tell who it is.” Jade said scanning the area as they peered down the slope and into the valley.
"What do you think we should do?" Willow asked.
"I say we keep going, and if it is the Anid they had best not get in the way.” Wind replied.
“I don’t think it is the Anid but we should be cautious.” All agreed and they continued at a cautious pace. They picked their way in the dark as they moved closer to the camp. As they neared the camp a small figure stepped out of the shadows directly in front of Nightwind. As swiftly as a cat Nightwind had her sword out and at the figures neck before a word could be spoken. Leaf and his scouts had been assigned night watch. This night the moon was near full making it easy to see movement in the darkness, and if there were to be any surprises Leaf did not expect them to occur this night. At least he had not, until he had stepped from his position to find himself staring down the blade of a sword into a cold yet beautiful face.
"Careful, you know you could hurt somebody with that.” Leaf said as he looked past Nightwind at the others.
"Leaf, I would know that voice anywhere.” Jade said as she stepped from behind Nightwind.
"You know this one?" Nightwind said putting her sword away.
"Yes, he is the scout leader of the Oakwood Clan.” Jade replied.
"It is good to see you made it back.” Leaf said giving Nightwind a sidelong glance.
"It is good to be back, now could you can tell the scouts that are surrounding us to go back to their posts.” Nightwind said in her usual cold and unfeeling voice. With a gesture of his hand they could see the shadows retreating back into the dark corners of the night.
"Hawks idea, he had us double the watch. Better prepared than sorry he said.” Leaf said with a smile and Jade nodded in reply.
"Come on, I'll take you into camp.” Leaf said leading the way and leaving them at the edge of camp before going back to his post. As they walked through camp Jade saw Aspen standing in front of his tent with some other scouts when he looked up and saw them coming. His eyes were riveted on Willow as they approached.

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Khaleesi
Moderators

can't wait for more

slaveofMistress Exclamation

Never start a row in public when it can be settled politely in private. ~My Father~

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:16 am 
Allison

Eire, I am so envious of your ability to keep such a variety of characters straight in your head. I would have them so mixed up. I am truly enjoying this beautiful story and will be waiting patiently for the next chapter. Great job!

Alli

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
desert-fish

full of intrigue...yes...i'm enjoying this...fantasy is not my genre of choice, but this is gripping me... can't wait to find out what happens next! Very Happy

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:30 am 
cupcakes

do the elves wear pointy shoes?
can humans and elves interbreed?

i have no more questions.

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:02 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by cupcakes:
do the elves wear pointy shoes?
can humans and elves interbreed?

i have no more questions.

Giggles...

No pointy shoes
Yes they can interbreed but I do not think they will in my story.

I think you will come up with more questions...I am almost sure of it Very Happy

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by slaveofMistress:
can't wait for more

slaveofMistress Exclamation

Mistress,

Thank you so very much for reading and leaving such a wonderful compliment.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:54 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Allison:
Eire, I am so envious of your ability to keep such a variety of characters straight in your head. I would have them so mixed up. I am truly enjoying this beautiful story and will be waiting patiently for the next chapter. Great job!

Alli

Allison,

Thank you very much for this wonderful compliment and thank you for talking me into posting this.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

You wait patiently? HMMPH
Laughing

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:57 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by pale mirage:
full of intrigue...yes...i'm enjoying this...fantasy is not my genre of choice, but this is gripping me... can't wait to find out what happens next! Very Happy

Pale,

Thank you very much and I am pleased you are enjoying this.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:59 pm 
Mdm Prez

Jade

Eire, this is so darn good. To keep me interested in fiction is so rare, yet I keep coming back for more.
Excellent job, and thanks for the memo. lol

Cat

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:30 pm 
Eiregirl

Re: Jade

quote:
Originally posted by Mdm Prez:
Eire, this is so darn good. To keep me interested in fiction is so rare, yet I keep coming back for more.
Excellent job, and thanks for the memo. lol

Cat

Mdm,

Thank you so much...that is a wonderful compliment

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:03 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: