BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Jade (Rough Chapter Five Part one)

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Jade (Rough Chapter Five Part one)

I just noticed that this chapter is to long to post all at once so I am breaking it into two parts for posting. If you have already read this before I noticed the problem then I am sorry.

Chapter Five

As the sun began to rise Jade and her new friends gathered for the morning meal and watched as the sun slowly shown over the horizon and reflected off the lake.
“I love sunrises.” An unmistakable voice said startling all of them.
“The sunrise is the best way to start a day.” Jade replied calmly turning to look at Nightwind.
{How does she do that? It irritates me when people sneak up like that.} Renee commented and Jade replied by saying. {I don’t know but her and Hawk seem to have a way about them that I cannot explain.}
{You have to admit she has a lovely tan.} Renee said without comment from Jade.
“And seeing the sunset is the best way to end the day.” Nightwind added to Jades comment about the sunrise and Jade saw what appeared to be a slight smile on Nightwind's face.
“Aspen, this is Hawk the one I told you about. He will be in charge of the Spirit Lake clans while Nightwind is with us.” Jade said introducing them and watched as the two exchanged greetings.
“Would you care to join us?” Wisp said to Nightwind and Hawk with a smile.
“Yes thank you.” Hawk said as he took some fruit and sat to join them and within moments he and Aspen were talking about how best to organize and supply the scouts for traveling to the Green Forest. Jade was listening to them when she heard Hawk say something about the scouts he had sent to catch the scouts Aspen had sent to find Nightwind.
“And after they contact your scouts to send them back here they are going on to Spirit Lake to bring the ones we left there back here. I just think it would be better and easier to defend one location rather than two.”
“How many will there be?” Aspen asked.
“About eight to ten thousand. I was looking around a little yesterday and felt this place would be a little easier to defend than the valley at Spirit Lake since it appears you only have three good ways into this valley and while Spirit Lake is easy to defend this place is easier.” Hawk told Aspen.
“Running Bear, one of the clan leaders here will be staying behind and will more or less be in charge of the encampment. Some other clan leaders are also staying along with about ten thousand scouts. All total there will be about twenty to thirty thousand here and all capable of fighting if needed…except for the smallest of children of course.”
“Are you a clan leader here?” Hawk asked.
“No, Wisp is my clan leader but Snow who is a very capable and respected clan leader proposed that a scout leader be in charge of the army and all the other leaders agreed and the scout leaders of the clans chose me.” Aspen replied and Hawk smiled as he looked at Aspen.
“I think they made a very wise choice.” Jade heard Hawk say and for some reason was relived that he thought so.
“How large will the army be?” Mist asked joining their conversation.
“We will have about fifty maybe sixty thousand. How many of those with you will be going?” Aspen asked Hawk.
“All of them.” Hawk replied and Nightwind added, “And that would be about twenty to twenty five thousand.”
“Lets just hope we have enough even though it is more than I ever dreamed of finding.” Jade said then stood saying it was time to go.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade hoped that Winds mysterious friend would tell her where the stone was. If he could not or if it was not the Stone of Kerrah, then Jade knew she would have to find the stone a different way. A way in which could be very time consuming. For the next seven days they traveled from sunrise to sunset. It had become routine that when they stopped Jade would gather wood for a fire while Nightwind would make her nightly circuit of the perimeter and check their back trail. Willow and Wind gathered or killed food to eat and they all took turns preparing the food. Seven days after leaving the Heartwood they camped near a spring of cool water that bubbled up from between two large boulders.
“How much farther do we have to go?” Jade asked Wind while building a fire.
“We are about five days from Brightwater Lake and about two days from the last place I saw him.” Wind said as she placed a pouch of roots on the ground that she had gathered.
“Do you think we will be able to find him?” Nightwind asked as she walked silently back into camp.
“It will be up to him to find us.” Wind said.
“I hope he does.” Jade said as she sat down and leaned back against a fallen tree that was not far from the blazing fire.
“Who has the first watch tonight?” Willow asked as she stared into the now blazing fire.
“I do.” Jade answered.
“I have second and Wind has last watch.” Nightwind said as she laid out her bedroll.
“That means we have to suffer Willows cooking!” Wind said with a look of disgust.
“If you want to I will take your watch and you can cook.” Willow said, knowing that Wind hated to cook.
“That's okay, after all your cooking hasn't killed me yet.” Wind said quickly. Jade smiled at the exchange of words between the two long time friends, and pulled the flute from her pouch and began carving on it.
Willow prepared a pot of stew for their meal and was dishing it out into separate bowls when Jade saw her put something extra in the bowl she handed to Wind. Wind took one bite of the stew and from the look on her face Jade knew that whatever Willow had put in the bowl had to taste awful. Regardless of the way her bowl of stew tasted Wind ate it all.
“That was terrible.” Wind said as she handed the empty bowl to Willow.
“I thought it was pretty good.” Jade said from where she sat.
“Thank you Jade.” Willow said with a smile.
“What do you think Nightwind?” Wind asked, hoping to find some support.
“It does not matter what it tastes like as long as it fills your stomach.” Nightwind replied.
“I still think you are the worst cook ever.” Wind told Willow.
“You are welcome to cook for me next time.” Willow said with a smile. Wind threw up her arms and walked to her bedroll mumbling to herself.
Later while standing watch a short distance from the camp Jade heard a faint noise nearby it sounded like a twig or small tree branch snapping under a foot. She looked around but did not see or hear anything. Not being able to locate the source of the noise, Jade sat down, leaned back against a tree and waited to hear the sound again. Near the end of her watch she heard the snap of a twig. This time it sounded closer, and in the light of a full moon she glimpsed a figure slip into the shadow of a large pine and disappear. Jade looked back toward camp and saw Nightwind coming to relieve her. She looked back at the spot where the figure had disappeared. Using earth magic she sent searched the area, but all she found were a few small animals nothing big enough to snap a blade of grass let alone a twig.
{I know that something is out there.} Jade told Renee.
{You are not seeing things. I saw it also.} Renee said reassuring Jade that she was not seeing things.
“You look as though you are trying to find something out there.” Nightwind whispered into Jades ear, startling her.
{How does she do that? She was in camp just a moment ago.} Renee told Jade.
{I didn't hear her either.} Jade replied.
“I heard a noise and saw something slip into the shadows. It looked like an elf’s shape, but I'm not sure.” Jade told Nightwind.
“Where did you see it?” Nightwind asked as she squatted down beside Jade.
“Over there.” Jade pointed to the large pine tree where the figure had disappeared.
“Do you want to find whatever it is?” Nightwind asked.
“I would like to know what it is. If for no other reason than to make sure Kerrah has not already sent some scouts to find his stone.
“Alright then I will go around to the right. You wait until I get there.” Nightwind said and pointed off to their right, “When I get in position I'll make the sound of a chitterwing three times. Do you know what one is?” Jade nodded that she did.
“Good then when I'm in position I'll signal you. Then you walk out and go around the opposite way. Then start walking toward me normally like you have no care. Hopefully whatever or whoever is out there will come straight to me, and we will get them.”
“Alive if possible.” Jade added.
“If possible.” Nightwind said as she turned and moved very quietly to her position.
{Jade, what is a chitterwing?} Renee asked.
{It is a bird similar to an eagle, except that it is solid black and it hunts at night so it has large eyes.} Jade told her.
After hearing the three screeches of a chitterwing, Jade moved to circle around to the left of the pine tree. When she had the tree between her and Nightwind she started to walk slowly toward it. As she neared the tree she saw a figure dart from the shadows and run straight to where Nightwind should be. Nightwind saw the shadowy figure coming toward her, and thought that this was almost to easy. From the clump of bushes that was her hiding place she waited. When the shadowy figure was close enough she lunged with knife in hand and slammed the figure to the ground with one quick move. She started to run her knife through its heart, but instead she knocked the figure out cold with a blow to the side of its head, then she waited silently for Jade to arrive. As she waited for Jade, Nightwind noticed that the figure was indeed an elf.
“Did you get it?” Jade asked as she approached Nightwind.
“I got him.” Nightwind said pointing at the unconscious figure on the ground.
“Him?” Jade said as she knelt beside the figure.
“He is an elf.” Nightwind informed her.
“An elf, but why would an elf be sneaking around our camp?” Jade said as she examined him.
“I don't know, but we can find that out when he wakes up.” Jade said.
“Lets carry him back to camp before we wake him.” Jade said as she stood up.
“Do you think he was alone?” Nightwind asked as she grabbed the unconscious elf under the arms.
“I did not see any others, nor did I detect anyone else when I searched the area with magic, but I could not find him either” Jade said as she lifted the figures legs.
“What! You can use earth magic?” Nightwind said, so surprised by what Jade had said that she nearly dropped their prisoner.
“Of course I can. I can find Elves, Anid, or any other creature by using magic. Didn't you know that I'm a mage?” Jade said, wishing that she could have seen the look on Nightwind’s face.
“Yes but I thought you were just a healer. But why couldn't you tell where he was?” Nightwind said as they carried the elf back to camp.
“He is either a mage and was shielding himself, or another mage was shielding him, or he is carrying a shielding stone.” Jade explained.
“I have a feeling he is a mage and here alone…umm…what is a shielding stone?” Nightwind said.
“It is a stone on which a mage has placed a spell to shield the one carrying it from magical detection.” Jade gave her companion a curious look, “You're an Elf, and you should know these things. Don't you have any mages in your clans?”
“Yes we have mages, and I know what a shield spell is, but I had never heard of a shielding stone before.” Nightwind said as they entered camp.
“Why do you think he was trying to hide from us?” Jade asked Nightwind as they laid the body close to the fire.
“I do not know, but we will soon find out.” Nightwind said as she laid some wood on the fire to bring its dying embers back to life. While Nightwind was giving life to the fire, Jade woke up Wind and Willow. She informed them that they had found an Elf snooping around their camp.
“What are you going to do with him?” Willow asked as she untangled herself from her bedroll.
“I won't know that until he wakes up and we talk to him.” Jade replied.
“That's him!” Wind said as she stood looking down at the unconscious figure that lay next to the fire.
“Who?” Jade said as she moved to stand next to Wind.
“That's the old elf I told you about. The one we are looking for.” Wind said as she stared down at the Elf.
“I think he is starting to wake up.” Jade said as she knelt beside the figure, and once again examined him for injuries. This time she found a cut on the side of his head, undoubtedly where Nightwind had struck him. Jade placed her hand over the cut. Her hand began to glow a faint green, and the cut slowly disappeared. As Jade removed her hand, the Elf opened his eyes and slowly looked around. When he saw Wind he half smiled and said, “Well child who are your friends?” After the introductions were made, Jade approached the stranger.
“And who might you be? Wind will not tell us your name because you made her promise not to tell any elf about you.” He looked at the four Elves for a moment before deciding to tell them his name.
“I don't think it would hurt for you to know my name. It is Greenleaf.”
“Greenleaf, why were you snooping around our camp?” Nightwind asked.
“I was curious, that is why I was snooping around. Are you on your way to the gathering?” Greenleaf replied as he sat up.
“No, actually we were looking for you.” Jade said, surprising Greenleaf.
“You were looking for me?!”
“Yes, we need your help.” Jade said in a serious tone of voice.
“My help for what?” Greenleaf asked as he stood.
“I need to find a specific magical stone.” Jade told him and noticed that he glanced at Wind with a look of disappointment on his face. Jade looked at Wind and knew that she had seen Greenleaf’s disappointment in her.
“And what magical stone would you be looking for?” Greenleaf asked with an edge to his voice.
“A stone that was brought to this forest by a mage called Alarian. Would you know anything about that stone?” Jade asked Greenleaf as he turned to look at Wind.
“You promised.” He told Wind with a hurt and betrayed look on his face.
“You don't understand I…” Wind started saying before Greenleaf cut her off.
“I understand that you promised!” He shouted at her, then turned and looked away from her.
“She had good reason.” Nightwind said in a soft commanding voice that got Greenleafs attention. He looked at her and started to speak, but she cut him off before he could. “And if you will sit down and be quite, all will be explained.” Nightwind said as she looked at him. The look he received sent chills down not just down his spine but all through his body.
“Then explain.” Greenleaf said as he sat back down.
“Tell him Jade.” Nightwind said as she got up and walked out of the camp. Greenleaf listened as Jade told him the reason Wind had not kept her promise to him, and why she, herself, had came to the Alarian Forest. At first he was skeptical of her story, then he saw her eyes. Even in the dim light of the fire he could see that they were a very rare color, they were green. ‘I have not seen a green eyed elf or heard of one in all the Alarian Forest since…since…well since the mage.’ Greenleaf thought to himself as he stroked his chin he became more open to the possibility that what Jade was saying could be the truth. Then he heard four dreadful words and repeated them with surprise and shock.
“Kerrah has been awakened!?!” Greenleaf repeated.
“Yes his priests have somehow awakened him, and that is why I am here. If I don't find the stone Alarian brought here, and destroy Kerrah with it he could eventually take over the entire Green Forest. If he does that he will find out sooner or later that his stone is here, or he may already know.” Jade said solemnly.
“And when he finds out that Alarian brought the stone here, he will come here or send an army here to get it.” Greenleaf finished Jades statement for her.
“Yes, he will.” Jade said with sureness.
“What makes you think the stone I guard is the one you are looking for?” Greenleaf asked Jade.
“What other one is there that would need to be guarded?” Jade answered his question with one of her own and received nothing more than a shrug for an answer.
“Will you take us to it?” Jade asked Greenleaf who quietly considered her question. Greenleaf thought about what Jade had told him. He considered the possibility that she could be lying but he found it to be more likely that she was telling the truth. Wind he knew was an honorable elf, even though she was a thief like her friend Willow of whom she had told Greenleaf a lot about. Nightwind however was a blank to him. He thought as he saw her walk back into camp. Nightwind glanced at him and with but that single glance from her a shiver ran up and down his spine. It felt as if she had looked into his very soul. It was an eerie feeling he did not wish to experience again. He looked back at Jade who was waiting for his response. As he stared at her he stroked his chin thoughtfully. Greenleaf looked into her eyes and remembered the last time he had seen green eyes was the last time he had seen Alarian, and he had been a greenmage. He wondered if she was a greenmage as well. Greenleaf recalled that Jade had said the Earth Mother sent her to retrieve Kerrahs stone, and for some reason he found himself believing her.
“I will take you to the stone, but it could be dangerous.” Greenleaf finally said.
“What could be dangerous about it?” Willow asked. “There are many spells that guard the stone all of which were set by Alarian.” Greenleaf responded.
“Did you know Alarian?” Willow asked.
“Yes, he chose me to take his place guarding the stone.” Greenleaf replied.
“Why did he choose you?” Nightwind asked from where she was sitting.
“He never told me, and he died before I thought to ask.”
“How did you meet him?” Jade asked with genuine interest. Greenleaf smiled as he remembered the day he met Alarian, but the smile was more due to the fact he would be able to tell the entire story.
“Let me see now.” He began, “It was many many years ago when I came across an ancient looking elf sitting on a stump he stopped me. I had heard of Alarian, but I had never seen him, until then. He asked if I would join him for a meal. Since it had been several days since I had anything to eat except trail rations I accepted the offer. As we ate he told me the most fantastic and unbelievable story I had ever heard. Alarian told me how he had taken a stone of great power away from a priest of Kerrahs who was also a mage with great power. Then he told me how he had brought the stone across the mountains to hide it so that Kerrah could not get it back. The next day he took me to the cavern where he had hidden the stone, and once there he showed it to me.” Greenleafs eyes brightened as he thought of that moment, and his smile widened. “At that moment, I believed every word he had spoken to me.”
“Did you touch the stone?” Wind asked.
“No, no I cannot touch it and Alarian could no longer touch it either. He told me that without the presence of the other spirit that had been within him he could not touch the stone. He said that any elf who touched the stone without the spirit would perish.”
{Jade, the spirit that was in Alarian was my ancestor.} Renee told Jade.
{Yes, and Alarian was mine.} She reminded Renee.
“The spells that guard the stone, can you remove them?” Jade asked with some concern.
“I can remove all the spells but one.” Greenleaf said with certainty in his voice.
“That one can only be dispelled by the one with the spirit.” Greenleaf said, giving Jade a curious look.
“You must be a mage for him to have chosen you.” Nightwind said in her usual smooth even tone of voice.
“Yes I am a red mage.” Greenleaf said with pride.
“Why have you been hiding for so long?” Willow asked him.
“I've not really been hiding. I've just been staying out of everyelfs way, besides I would not want any elf to die trying to touch the stone.” He told Willow.
“How long will it take us to get to the cavern?” Jade asked.
“From here I'm not really sure. I have not been to the cavern in nearly two moons.” Greenleaf said and received a puzzled look from Jade.
“You are supposed to be guarding the stone and you don't even know how far away from it you are.” Jade said unable to understand why he would do such a thing.
“I will know if the spell at the entrance to the cavern is broken or removed.” Greenleaf said confidently.
“You do know how to get back to the cave, don't you?” Nightwind asked.
“I am drawn to it like a moth to flame.” Greenleaf said.
“The sun is starting to rise. We might as well break camp.” Jade said as the first light of day shown through the trees.
“I'll cook something to eat while the rest of you pack.” Willow said as she stood up, but before she could get to the supplies Wind was right behind her.
“I'll cook, you pack.” Wind said gently pushing Willow out of the way. After everything was packed and all had eaten Jade looked over at Greenleaf and said, “You lead the way.”

XXXXXXXXXX

Greenleaf was centuries older than those he was now traveling with. He knew that over the past few days he had slowed them down. When they stopped for the night Greenleaf sat down next to Jade.
“I'm slowing you down.” Greenleaf said quietly.
“Some, but we are making it up by traveling longer.” Jade replied with a smile.
“If there was any way I could tell you where the stone was and how to get to it I would.” Greenleaf told Jade.
“I understand.” Jade said with true understanding in her voice and, in her eyes.
Greenleaf watched Jade as she added more sticks to the fire, and Willow bring fresh water from a nearby stream. He watched as Wind picked some mushrooms and gathered berries. As he looked around he noticed Nightwind walking out of camp in the direction they had came from. He had noticed over the past few days that she did that every time they stopped for any length of time. Greenleaf suspected she was checking on their back trail, but he was not entirely convinced of that. As he watched Nightwind he wondered how her hair had become white. Once when he had asked her about it, she acted as though he had not said a word. He had asked Wind about it and was told the same story that Willow had told Jade. That she had gone out hunting one day with dark hair and pale skin only to return with white hair and bronze skin.
“Where does she go every night?” He asked Jade.
“Who?” Jade said, looking up at him.
“Nightwind.” Greenleaf said with a nod toward Nightwind.
“She is checking our back trail to see if we are being followed.” Jade answered.
After Jade got the fire to burning well, Wind began cooking a stew. Jade asked her if she knew it was Willows turn to cook only to have Wink wrinkle her nose at her. Jade smiled and shook her head slightly.
“Can’t any of you detect if we are being followed? I know you are a mage and I suspect Nightwind is as well.” Greenleaf asked.
{He suspects she is a mage?} Renee asked.
{So do I and I know you do as well don’t you?} Jade replied.
{Yes, but it is just odd to know someone else does.}
“We did not detect you did we?” Jade asked.
“That is a good point.” Greenleaf said and vowed to himself to not ask any more questions without thinking first.
By the time Nightwind returned every elf except her had eaten. She took the stew Wind offered her and sat down to eat.
“I believe we are being followed.” Nightwind said as she took a bite.
“Are you sure?” Jade asked.
“No, it's just a feeling I have.” Nightwind said a she ate.
“What kind of feeling.” Jade asked Nightwind as she looked toward Greenleaf who gave her a knowing nod.
“A feeling.” Nightwind said calmly as she looked toward Jade, “of being watched.” Greenleaf concentrated as he drew upon the earth magic. He looked back the way they had came, and sent his mind out to search their back trail. He reached out as far as he could, but found nothing unusual.
“Did you find anything?” Jade asked Greenleaf.
“No, nothing unusual.” He replied.
“I don't find anything either.” Jade said after trying herself.
“I know we are being followed. By who or what I don't know, but we are.” Nightwind said with calm certainty in her voice.
“Nightwind, I do not doubt you. How far back did you go?” Jade said as she sat down to think.
“About half way between here and where we stopped to eat at highsun.” Nightwind replied as she sat her empty bowl down. Jade thought a half days travel was well within her range to search with magic. But then she thought, what if Nightwind had been watched by a mage using earth magic?
{You think she has reason to believe we are being followed, don't you?} Renee asked Jade.
{Of course she has reason.} Jade responded.
{Then why don't you check it out?} Renee asked. {Me and Greenleaf already have, and we did not find anything.} Jade replied.
{I mean, why don't you go back with her and reach out with that mind of yours and touch someone?} Renee told Jade.
{That is a good idea. We will do that in the morning.} Jade said in agreement. {Why wait?}
{Because it is dark and we are all tired.} Jade said as she looked back the way they had come.
“Nightwind, me and you will go back just before sunrise to check our back trail while the others pack, okay?” Jade said as watched Nightwind fix her bedroll.
“That is fine with me.” Nightwind replied as she slipped into her bed.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade and Nightwind left camp before sunrise and went back almost as far as Nightwind had the night before. Jade sent her mind out to search the area, when suddenly a voice boomed inside her head. [WHAT IS WRONG LITTLE ONE? ARE YOU SCARED?] The voice said, sounding as though it came from the bottom of a barrel.
{Jade, what the hell was that?}...{Jade?}
{I…do…not…know.} Jade replied slowly as pictures of a camp flowed into her mind.
{I know I don't like the feeling of this.} Renee told her host. Although she did not hear the exchange, Nightwind could tell by the look on Jades face that something was wrong, real wrong.
“What is it Jade?” Nightwind said not liking the look on Jades face.
“Nightwind do you feel or hear anything?” Jade said once she felt she could speak without betraying what she felt.
“I don't hear anything except the normal forest sounds, but I do have a very strong feeling I'm being watched and I feel like it wants me dead.” She replied as she gazed into the forest around them.
“What about you?” She asked Jade.
“I feel we had better go back...now.” Jade said, and as they turned to leave she heard a roaring laugh inside her head. It sounded unlike anything she had ever heard before, and Jade hoped she would never hear it again. When Jade and Nightwind arrived back at their camp everything was packed and ready for them to go.
“Did you find anything?” Greenleaf asked as they ran into camp.
“Nightwind was right. We are being followed.” Jade told him.
“What did you find?” Willow asked.
“We are being followed by at least three of Kerrahs mages and about twenty scouts.” Jade said turning to look back down the trail with a look of pure dread on her face.
“Is there is something else you have not told us?” Greenleaf asked. Jade turned back to face them.
“There was something else with them.” Jade said as she picked up her pack.
“I don't know what it is, but it scared the life out of me.”
{I'm still here.} Renee said trying to relieve some of the tension she felt from Jade.
{Not you.} Jade replied.
{Just trying to be funny.} Renee said defensively.
{Well your not.} Jade replied and had a feeling that Renee was sticking her tongue out at her and she could not help but giggle inwardly. {You’re impossible!}
“What was this thing like?” Greenleaf asked. Jade thought for a moment before replying.
“It felt very powerful and very evil. I was able to see the mages and scouts because it showed them to me even though the mages were shielding the camp.” Jade told them. Then with a thoughtful look she said, “That thing was mocking me. It wants us to know that it is there and coming after us.”
“I think we need to put as much distance between us and them as possible.” Nightwind said looking at Jade who seemed to be staring into the distance.
“I agree.” Jade replied as she turned to look at Nightwind.
Jade and her companions traveled all that day and late into the night before stopping. While Willow and the others set up camp, Jade and Nightwind checked their back trail. After going only a short distance back the way they had come, Jade came to such an abrupt stop that Nightwind nearly ran into her.
[YOU CAN NOT RUN FROM ME.] Jade heard a voice in her head say. The voice was followed by insidious laughter that sent chills down her spine.
“They have gained on us.” Jade said when she thought she could speak without betraying her fear.
“I know but how? We ran all day and half the night.” Nightwind said as she looked around with the feeling of being watched.
“I don't know, I have never seen any of Kerrahs scouts that could move fast enough to keep up with our pace let alone gain on us.” Jade said looking toward the North, the direction she knew Kerrahs scouts were.
[RUNNING WILL ONLY DELAY THE INEVITABLE, . . . YOUR DEATHS!] Jade turned to Nightwind and said earnestly, “We have to stay ahead of them.”
“How? We can't seem to outrun them. We might as well get ready to fight.” Nightwind replied.
They stood silently for a moment, then turned and went back to camp. As they were starting back Jade heard the sound of insidious laughter echoing in her head. Willow was roasting a turkey Greenleaf had caught, when Nightwind and Jade came into camp.
“Are they still there?” She asked looking up them.
“They are not only still coming but they are gaining on us.” Nightwind told her.
“Can you tell how close they are?” Willow asked Jade.
“They are about a day maybe a day and a half behind us.” Jade replied with concern written on her face.
“They must be moving incredibly fast to be gaining on us.” Wind commented from nearby.
“The question is, are they following us or just heading in the same direction?” Greenleaf said.
“That creature can somehow talk to me, and whether or not the Anid know where we are it does, and it wants us dead.” Jade told Greenleaf.
“What do you mean it can talk to you?” He asked her.
“I can hear its voice in my head, and it's a voice I would rather not hear.” Jade replied.
“Can hear it like you hear Renee?” Willow said before she realized what she was saying. Jade looked across the fire at her friend who looked back with an apologetic expression.
“Who is Renee?” Greenleaf asked.
“It's about time they knew, and I'll let you tell them.” Jade said softly to Willow.
“The Earth Mother placed a spirit in Jades body, and they can talk to each other without anyone knowing it.” Willow explained.
“Is this spirit Elvin.” Greenleaf asked thinking that he knew why the spirit was placed in Jades body.
“No she is not Elvin, she's human.” Jade replied and noticed the shocked look on Greenleafs face.
“Human?” He said as he stroked his chin. “I think I know why the Earth Mother did what she did. I think she did it so that you could get Kerrahs stone. Here I was thinking you were going to destroy it and it never occurred to me that you had the ability to touch it.” Greenleaf said after a moments thought.
“I need the stone to destroy Kerrah.” Jade responded.
“I think we are getting away from the subject. I believe we have a problem after us and we need to deal with it.” Nightwind said in her soft even voice.
“She's right.” Wind said agreeing with Nightwind.
“You said that this creature talked to you. What did it say?” Nightwind asked.
“It was a hideous voice. The voice said that we cannot outrun him, and that running would only delay the inevitable . . . our death.” Jade told her. Nobody spoke for a long moment. Nightwind was the first to break the silence.
“It is apparently right about one thing…we don’t seem to be able to outrun them so we just have to make sure it is not right about the other.”
“They outnumber us four to one.” Wind said.
“So, I would rather stand and fight than wake up with a knife at my throat.” Nightwind stated.
“Greenleaf, how long will it take us to get to the cavern?” Jade asked, hoping they could make it there before the Anid caught up to them.
“I'm not certain, but I believe it will take about six or seven days.” He replied with a questioning look.
“Is there any way we could make it in three?” Jade wanted to know.
“If we keep going the way we did today we might be able to make it in four or five, but not three. Why do you want to know?” He asked.
“Because I figure that if the Anid keep gaining on us the way they did today that they will be on top of us in four days. I was hoping we could be to the cavern before then.” Jade said as she looked around at her companions.
“It looks as if we will have to stand and fight after-all.” Wind said as she looked at Nightwind.
“It looks that way.” Nightwind said in agreement.
“Since it appears we all agree that we have no choice but to fight, I think tomorrow we look for a good place to ambush them.” Jade said.
“But can't they tell were we are.” Wind said with concern.
“I believe that only the creature knows, and he is not letting the others know.” Jade replied.
“Why?” Willow asked.
“If he knows were we are, what good is an ambush?” Wind said pointedly.
“I believe I can fool him into thinking we are still running.” Jade replied to Winds question.
“Jade, why would that thing not let the Anid know where we are?” Willow said restating her question.
“He wants us for himself. Why? I don't know it's just a feeling I have.” Jade said trying hard to mask the fear she felt.
{Jade, I am more afraid now than ever before.} Renee confessed.
{You and me both…you and me both.} Jade replied slowly.

XXXXXXXXXX

Near midday Nightwind, who was in the lead, came to a stop in the center of a large clearing. Looking around she thought that this would be a perfect spot for an ambush. She stood facing a rocky hill that slowly angled up to a crest that provided plenty of cover.
“I think this would be an excellent place for an ambush.” She said to the others.
“It does look promising.” Jade said as she surveyed the area.
“We need to check around and find the best positions to be in when they come through.” Nightwind said.
“Okay, I'll take Willow and check this side, and we will meet you around up there.” Jade said pointing to the trees that lined the top of a small cliff like hill.
After having checked the slopes and picking the best spots to position themselves Jade and her companions sat under the trees discussing their plan of attack.
“I think that is a good plan.” Jade told Nightwind who had just finished telling her idea for the ambush.
“Does anyone have anything to add or a better idea?” Jade asked.
“It seems like a solid plan if everything you have told us about them is accurate.” Greenleaf said to Jade as he leaned back against a tree.
“I’m sure Jade has told us nothing more or less than what she knows.” Willow said with a sharp look toward Greenleaf.
“Lets go over the plan once more to make sure we know who does what and when and lets suppose they feel we are going to ambush them here.” Nightwind said and went over the plan again. Later while they sat around a fire eating Wind wanted to know how Jade intended to fool the creature into believing they were still trying to get away from it, instead of waiting in ambush.
“I will do is imagine us running away from it while Greenleaf concentrates on shielding us from it.
“Since that creature seems to be picking on me we hope it will ignore the rest of you, and believe what I'm showing it.” Jade told her.
“You are hoping for a lot.” Wind said looking a little distressed.
“I know, but I don't see that we have much choice.” Jade replied.
{She's scared Jade.}
{We are all a little scared.} Jade told Renee.
{And with good reason, but with her there is something more to it than just being afraid.} Renee said thoughtfully.
{What are you getting at?} Jade wanted to know.
{Ask her, I only made an observation.} Renee said in a way that Jade thought strange she made a mental note to ask Renee about it later.
“Wind is something bothering you?” Jade ask with sincerity.
“No not really, why?” Wind said.
“You just seem to be troubled by something and if I can help I will.” Jade answered.
“I don't think there is anything you can do, but thanks.” Wind said as she got up. “I'm going to look around a little.”
As Wind left the camp Willow followed her. Having overheard what had been said she was concerned about her friend and wanted to help. She followed Wind to a nearby stream where she sat staring into the water, oblivious to her surroundings.
“Wind, what’s wrong?” Willow said. Startled Wind reached for her knife, but relaxed when she realized who was behind her.
“Willow, it is nothing you can help me with.” Wind replied and turned to stare back into the water. Willow stood silently watching her friend then she sat down beside her and glanced into the water then back to her friend.
“What are you staring at?” Willow asked with a quizzical look.
“A dream I had last night.” Wind said as she slowly turned to Willow whose face now held a look of confusion.
“A dream?” Willow asked after regaining her composure.
“Yes.” Wind replied with a calmness that Willow had never seen her friend display before, but still she could see the underlying tension in Winds eyes.
“What exactly do you see in this dream?” Willow asked in a soft, calm voice.
“Willow you know that my dreams have never been wrong.” Wind said as she looked down at the stream then back to her friend.
“I know, I was in some of them remember.” Willow replied with a smile.
“I did not actually see it, but I could feel it.” Wind said dazedly.
“What?, Wind what was it?” Willow asked.
Wind as if in a daze said, “Death, a lot of death. All around nothing but death.”
“Maybe what you felt was the death of our enemy.” Willow said trying to comfort her friend.
“Maybe…maybe you’re right.” Wind said with a slight sigh and a smile but inside she was not convinced of it.

XXXXXXXXXX

Willow was sitting under a tree at the edge of the clearing watching the sun go down when Jade came to sit beside her.
“How is wind?” Jade asked in a quiet voice.
“She is doing fine. I saw her taking a nap just a moment ago.” Willow replied.
“She had a dream and it worries me because she never has a dream that does not come true.” Willow said as she shook her head. “She said this dream was filled with death and it was all around her. She said that she did not actually see it in her dream but that she could feel it.” Willow said.
“I just hope it was not our death she felt in her dream.” Jade said.
“I see what you mean.” Willow said, remembering that soon they would be fighting for their lives with an enemy that wanted nothing less than to see them all dead.
“I wonder how far Aspen and Hawk have made it.” Jade said wanting to change the subject.
“They should be well on their way to the pass by now.” Willow said as she watched the sun dip behind the trees.
“You like him don't you?” Jade asked with a smile. Willow looked at Jades smiling face and could not help smiling herself as she answered.
“Yes I suppose I do.” Willow admitted. “As much as I don't want to.” She said with a sigh.
{I told you she liked him.} Jade said to Renee.
{That doesn't mean anything, besides it won't last long.} Renee replied sarcastically.
{Are you going to admit that you were wrong?} Jade asked.
{It's not over yet.} Renee replied.
{Sometimes you just make me want to scream.} Jade said frustrated at Renee for not admitting she was wrong.
{Don't let me stop you.} Renee said in a cheerful sounding voice.
Later that night Jade sat alone on top of a rocky slope looking down at the camp below. She would be standing here when hopefully the ambush would occur as planned. She looked at her newfound friends and thought what a strange group they appeared to be.
{Don’t you think we make a strange group?} Jade asked Renee.
{Yep and by this time tomorrow we will either be dancing around the fire or pushing up daisies.} Renee replied mildly.
{Pushing up daisies, what do you mean by that?} Jade asked.
{Dead.} Renee replied with emphasis.
{I would like a good dance myself.} Jade told Renee.
{You have my vote on that.}

XXXXXXXXXX

Nightwind sat alone lost in her own thoughts. She felt her hair slide over her shoulder as a breeze blew through the forest. Looking down at it she remembered the day it happened. The day she embraced the power.
“Just embrace your abilities Nightwind. That is all you have to do. Well I have not embraced my full abilities in five hundred years.”
“Nightwind are you ok?” Jade said as she walked up behind Nightwind who turned as if startled.
“I’m fine.” Nightwind said calmly.
“I thought I heard you talking to someone.” Jade said.
“I was just thinking out loud to myself.” Nightwind said as she turned to look at Jade.
{Hmm something is not right.} Renee said but no reply came from Jade.
“Is everything ready?” Jade asked
“Yes. I set the snares along the trail and some off the trail just in case they are not staying on it.” Nightwind said then asked, “What are you doing out here?”
“Since they are shielding their presence from us I thought I would set a few trip spells that way we can know when they pass certain points around the clearing.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade sat awake as the false dawn crept through the trees. She was thinking how peaceful the morning was she looked over at Willow who was preparing some fruit Wind had gathered then she looked toward Greenleaf who was still sleeping but she did not see Nightwind anywhere.
{Yesterday you knew something was troubling Wind and then later when I thought I heard Nightwind talking to someone you mentioned that something was not right. How do you know?} Jade asked Renee.
{I could see it in Winds eyes that something was bothering her and Nightwind was surprised to see you. You have learned as well as I that nobody sneaks up and surprises Nightwind. I don’t think she was talking to herself and I’m not sure but I think I saw a flicker of light. I think someone or something was there right before we got there.} Renee told Jade.
{Renee do you think I can trust her?}
{I think she had been honest with us…or you…until then. I really don’t know but I think we will find out soon.} Renee said.
{I think she is hiding something.} Jade said.
{Aren’t we all…except maybe for Greenleaf I think we are all hiding something from each other?} Renee told Jade.
{What are you hiding from me?} Jade asked.
{Maybe something…maybe nothing.} Renee said with a slight chuckle.
Jade was about to make a response when she heard a loathing voice in her head.
[PREPARE TO DIE FOR I AM COMING FOR AND I WILL FEAST UPON YOU TODAY. HA HA HA HAAA.]
{First you have to catch me.} Jade replied not knowing if the creature heard her until it responded.
[RUN…RUN ALL YOU WANT. I ENJOY A GOOD CHASE AND TODAY THIS CHASE WILL END WITH YOUR DEATH.]
Jade kept the thought of running through the clearing and up the slope as she made her way to the camp and woke Greenleaf then told Wind to find Nightwind. She kept the image in her thoughts until she could no longer feel the creature in her head.
“What is it?” Wind asked but one look from Jade and she was on her way. After eating a cold breakfast they each took their positions out of site in the rocks and behind the trees at the top of the slope and waited. Jade took her place next to Nightwind with Greenleaf behind them concentrating on shielding their presence with magic. Willow and Wind were off to their right about 20 paces crouched behind a large boulder checking their bows and arrows. Jade knew that the next time the creatures voice came to her she would have to convince it that she and her companions were still trying to outrun it and the Anid. She looked back at Greenleaf who though concentrating on the spell putting as much into as he could was making sure his blade was sharp and ready then she looked at Nightwind who had braided her hair and was now stringing her bow.
{Lets hope that thing is all bark and no bite.} Renee said feeling that the tension was strung as tight as Nightwind’s bow.
{Lets hope.} Jade replied.
A short time later Jade was imagining that they were all running as fast as they could through the forest when she heard the voice in her head.
[TODAY I EAT.]
At the sound of the voice Jade motioned for Nightwind to signal the others and then Jade felt one of her trip spells go off in her head then pointed in the direction of it. Jade kept up her effort in trying to fool the creature for what seemed an eternity. She closed her eyes and concentrated on imagining every detail she would see while running through a forest with her companions all around her. Then she felt something hit her shoulder. Her first thought was that the creature had found her, but when she opened her eyes she saw Nightwind pointing down to the clearing. Jade keep the image of running in her mind as she looked and saw the Anid standing in the center of the clearing looking back the way they had come. In the shadows of the trees Jade saw what the Anid were looking at. It was the creature. Jade began to draw magic from the earth as she watched the figure cautiously enter the clearing. As the creature moved from the shadows to the open clearing she finally saw what had been haunting her mind. Just the sight of the creature made her heart race with fear. It looked like nothing she had ever seen or imagined. The thing stood twice her own height and was as broad as the boulder she hid behind. It had grayish colored skin and long arms that ended in clawed hands. Her eyes moved to its head, which had huge bat-like ears and the fangs of a large cat for teeth. The creature moved to look in her direction. When Jade saw the red glowing orbs of its eyes, she fought a near uncontrollable urge to run as she raised her hands and released the power she had built up.
Willow was ready when she saw the green streak fly across the clearing, and heard the earsplitting scream that followed. She had taken careful aim with her bow and now watched as the arrow flew true. But before she could see the arrow embed itself in the heart of an unsuspecting Anid she already had another arrow flying through the air. As Willow moved to another target a bolt of blue magefire shot passed her to explode on the rocks. As she took aim at the Anid, she watched a ball of red flame fly from the opposite slope to engulf him. Willow thought that Greenleaf must have decided to make that one his target, and quickly changed her aim and continued her rain of arrows until there was nothing left to shoot at. Willow stood on top of the slope and surveyed the scene below before turning to where Jade should have been.
“Jade where's that cre-.” Willow said as she turned to find Jade gone. “Jade?”
“Down here!” Jade said from halfway down the slope.
“Did you kill that thing?” Willow asked as she looked down at her friend.
“No.” Jade replied.
{I think all you did was make him mad.}
“Then it is still out there somewhere.” Willow said and began looking more closely at her surroundings. She watched as Wind walked through the clearing and saw Nightwind close behind Greenleaf as they made there way down the slope toward the clearing. She was about to move down and join them when she felt a searing pain run across her back then she had the strangest feeling of flying and suddenly everything went black.
“Willow!?” Wind screamed as her friend landed close by.
Wind slowly fell to her knees, stunned by the sight of her friends bloody body.
[WHO WANTS TO BE NEXT.]
“She is still alive.” Nightwind said as she knelt down to check Willow. With an expressionless face she looked up the hill at the creature as it faded into the shadows.
{My God Jade, what kind of creature is that?} Renee asked.
{I don't know.} Jade replied as she looked from Wind to the thing staring down at them.
“We need to get out of here.” Greenleaf said.
“And go where? It can outrun us easy, and we would never make it to the stone in time to use it.” Nightwind said calmly.
“Then what do we do?” Greenleaf wanted to know as he watched the creature move back out of sight.
“We wait for it to show itself again, then it dies.” Nightwind said as she and Wind tried to stop Willows bleeding.
“I don’t think she will last long.” Wind said as she franticly tried to help her friend as Jade knelt down beside her and her hands began to glow a faint green as she slowly moved them over Willow.
Out of nowhere the creature landed behind Jade and was about to slice her into pieces with its claws.
[ARE YOU READY TO JOIN YOUR FRIEND]
“No!!” Nightwind screamed as she wheeled around a streak of white light shot from her hand striking the creature in the chest as a green and red one hit engulfing the creature in fire. The ear splitting scream was deafening then all was quiet.
“Is it dead?” Wind asked as the stench filled the air.
“I think so.” Greenleaf said as Jade turned back to Willow.
“How is she?” Wind asked.
“She is badly hurt and I don’t know if I can completely heal her.” Jade said.
“Will she live?” Wind asked as she slumped helplessly to the ground and the light breeze that had been blowing stopped.
“I don’t know…I will do all I can.” Jade said.
“It – it’s moving!!!” Wind said as she looked back at the grotesque creature. Nightwind jumped on the creatures chest and plunged her blade into the creatures eye and was bucked off as the creature convulsed in agony then lay still.

XXXXXXXXXX

The next morning Jade climbed the hill on which Wind sat looking out over the clearing. Jade felt the cool breeze on her face as she looked down into the camp below. She could see Nightwind bringing in wood for the fire and Greenleaf preparing the morning meal. She sat down next to Wind and looked at the slender Elf.
“How is Willow?” Wind asked somberly.
“She is still sleeping and I think she will be ok in a few days.” Jade replied.
“But you are not sure are you?” Wind asked looking as she turned and looked at Jade.
“No. I’m not sure.” Jade said.
“You are a greenmage. Is there anything else you can do?” Wind asked almost pleading.
“She was hurt really bad Wind and it was unbelievable that she was still alive after what happened to her. I healed all that I could. All the cuts, bruises and broken bones but I can’t heal her head.” Jade said as she looked back down at the camp.
{I think she has a concussion…like I told you last night…a bruised brain.} Renee said.
{I hope it goes away…whatever that is.}
{It will with time.} Renee said.
“I know you have done all you can. Willow has been my friend…as long as I can remember.” Wind said as she watched Nightwind place an armload of wood close to the fire and add a few sticks to the fire then turned to Jade. “Have you ever heard of or seen a whitemage?”
“Renee asked me that last night and in all my life I have never even heard of one.” Jade said absently as she watched Nightwind.
“I don’t suppose you know what she is capable of do you.” Wind asked.
“If you are asking if she can heal Willow she tried last night as did Greenleaf and we have done all that we can.” Jade said looking down at the white haired Elf who looked up at her.
{I think she knows you are watching her.} Renee said.
{Hmmm.} Was the only reply from Jade.
“You can go down and eat I will stay here it will be my watch soon anyway and I ate some fruit before I came up here.” Jade told Wind.
Jade leaned back against a boulder and looked all around the clearing then back down to the camp. She saw Wind check on her friend before getting anything to eat. Greenleaf was sitting on his bedroll and looking through his pouch but Nightwind was nowhere to be seen.
{I wonder where she slipped off to?} Jade thought.
{That is a very good question.} Renee said.
“It is a nice view from up here.” Jade heard Nightwinds voice say from behind her.
“Yes it is.” Jade said acting as though she knew Nightwind had been behind her.
“I know you have a lot of questions you want to ask so I will save you the trouble of finding the right time to ask.” Nightwind said in her usual calm voice.
“Yes I do have a few questions I would like to ask.” Jade said.
{And so do I.} Renee said to Jade.
Jade looked at Nightwind for a moment then looked at her more closely. Sure she had stared at the white hair and tanned skin in wonder just as she had looked into those stunning eyes that even now she could not put a colour on. There was that expressionless face that was stunningly beautiful and seemed to show whatever the one looking at it wanted to see…whether that was joy or sadness.
“Who are you?” Jade asked Nightwind.
“Who am I?” Nightwind asked a little confused by the question.
“Yes, who are you?”
“I am Nightwind from the Redwood clan, but you already know that.” Nightwind replied.
“I don’t mean that…you are like no other Elf I have ever met with your white hair, tanned skin and eyes that are beyond description and now to find out that you are a mage…”
“Are you going to tell me that you and the others did not already suspect that that I’m a mage and you want to know if the stories of how I came to look like this are true?” Nightwind said interrupting Jade.
“I suspected…but a whitemage who has ever heard of a whitemage and what are you capable of. As for the stories it would be interesting to know if they are true or not.” Jade replied.
“I don’t know what I’m capable of because I don’t like using my abilities. I can tell you that there is nothing a red or blue mage can do that I cannot and most likely there is nothing you can do that I can’t but you can probably do them much better than I and there may be things you can do that I can’t or that I can do but you cannot. As far as whether or not I was born like this it does not really matter.” Nightwind said with an unusually sharp edge to her normally soft calm voice.
“What matters to me is if you have been honest with me or not.” Jade said as she looked into Nightwinds eyes.
“I have never lied to you.” Nightwind knowing that she had never lied to Jade or any of the others but she knew she had not been totally forthcoming with information.
{Just tell her to answer the damn question and to stop dancing around it. Was she born like that or are the stories true?} Renee said.
“Where you born like that?” Jade asked pointedly.
“No. Well yes but no. I had always had lighter hair than any elf and my skin was always slightly darker than any elves but that all changed one day when a blinding white light came out of nowhere and changed everything. I remember a voice saying that it was time for me to embrace my abilities and ever since that day my hair and skin have been as you see them while my eyes have always been this way from birth.” Nightwind said in her soft calm voice.
“Is that how you became a mage?” Jade asked a little confused since normally a mages power slowly developed as they aged and generally reached full potential when they came of age.
“No. My becoming a mage was no different then any others except on that day…I became a whitemage. Before then when I worked the magic it was sometimes blue and sometimes red but no elf really noticed until it became white. Some looked on it as a sign of some sort while others just saw it as an oddity. I have never used my magic very much. I only ever fully embraced it that one time. We have other mages in the clans to take care of the healing and such. I know how to use my magic I just rarely have any need to and at first I seemed to fit in better not using it so much and over time the clans accepted me because I am a good leader not because I’m a mage.” Nightwind said.
“Blue and sometimes red?” Jade said interrupting Nightwind then in a slow thoughtful voice. “You are without a doubt the most strange Elf I have ever met. You are both mysterious and confusing.”
“Whatever questions you have I will try to answer for you.” Nightwind said as she looked straight into Jades eyes then added. “And whatever questions your friend in there may have as well.”
“You tell me what I need to know.” Jade said in an even tone of voice as she looked into Nightwinds eyes and leaned forward a little.
“Trust me to do what is right and to do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.” Nightwind said as she returned Jades stare. Jade did not break eye contact with Nightwind as she stood and looked down at the white haired elf.
“I believe I can trust you…I have no reason not to.”
{Are you sure?} Renee asked.
{For now I will give her the benefit of the doubt.}
{There is more isn’t there?} Renee asked.
{There is this strange feeling I have when I’m close to her that I cannot explain.} Jade told Renee.
{What kind of feeling?} Renee asked.
{Like I said I can’t explain it.} Jade replied.

XXXXXXXXXX

Nightwind sat cross legged on her bedroll with the backs of her hands resting on her knees and her eyes closed. Jade watched her just as she had done every night since leaving the Heartwood. Nightwind had unbraided her long white hair and it hung down past her waist almost touching the ground. Jade sat looking at Nightwind from the side and with her eyes she looked Nightwind over thoroughly. She watched the firelight flicker over her body and became entranced by the sight.
{Hmmm.} The sound inside her head brought Jade out of it.
{What?}
{Why do you do this every night?} Renee asked.
{You called that meditating…I’m just trying to figure it out.} Jade replied.
{If that is all you are doing then why not ask her?} Renee replied unconvinced that Jade was only trying to figure out meditating.
{I might do that sometime.} Jade said and went back to watching Nightwind.
{Why not now?} Renee asked.
{Hmm…maybe I will…but I don’t want to interrupt her…} Jade was telling Renee as Nightwind opened her eyes and looked over at Jade just as she did every night. Jade was about to get up and walk over to where Nightwind was when a shout from Wind stopped her.
“Jade, Willow is awake!” Wind shouted and brought every elf rushing over to see.
“How do you feel?” Jade asked as she sat on the ground next to where Willow was sitting up on her bedroll.
“Aside from the pounding in my head I feel fine…why?” Willow asked looking around at all the faces looking back at her.
“You don’t remember what happened?” Wind asked.
“The last thing I remember…was walking down toward the clearing then a terrible pain and the feeling that I was flying…and that’s all.” Willow said as she looked from face to face.
“You were almost dead.” Wind told her.
“What happened?” Willow asked.
“That creature sliced you up pretty good then after it was killed Jade, Nightwind and Greenleaf did everything they could to fix you up.” Wind told her.
“You have been asleep for a day and a half.” Greenleaf said.
“Do you think you are well enough to travel?” Jade asked her.
“Yes, I’m fine.” Willow replied.
“Good…I’m glad you are well and you rest some more tonight and we will leave in the morning if you are able. Wind says we are only about a day or two away from Brightwater Lake and Greenleaf thinks the stone is only a few days travel from there.” Jade said with a smile then started back toward her bedroll.
{She looks good. It still is amazing how you can heal the way you do.} Renee said.
{She almost died. If we had not been right there she would have.} Jade replied
{It is still amazing…I have heard stories of people on my world who could heal the sick with a simple touch but to see it is amazing.} Renee said.
{You have told me that there are none on your world like us…I find that odd.} Jade said.
{There are stories and legends from all over my world of different…beings…some like you and others very different. Some people believe that at one time or another they were all real and once roamed the world but nobody really knows for sure.} Renee said.
{Perhaps it was us.}
{Perhaps it was.} Renee said.
Jade watched as Nightwind climbed the hill that overlooked the clearing with her hair flowing behind her in the breeze. She saw Nightwind gather up her hair and tie it with a leather strap.
{I am still not sure about her.} Renee told Jade thoughtfully.
{There is something about her…something I just can’t put my finger on.}

XXXXXXXXXX

Continued in part two of chapter five

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
cupcakes

do elves speak english? and if not, what language do they speak?

and does their magic come in other flavors too like...orange, lemon, and purple grape?

And i'm hungry for stew. I blame u Rolling Eyes

Do elves milk cows?

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:04 pm 
Allison

Eire.....this is one fantastic story! I am really enjoying the read. Keep it coming lady!

Alli

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by cupcakes:
do elves speak english? and if not, what language do they speak?

and does their magic come in other flavors too like...orange, lemon, and purple grape?

And i'm hungry for stew. I blame u Rolling Eyes

Do elves milk cows?

Elves speak Elvish

their magic only comes in red blue green white and whatever other colour I come up with LOLOL

MMM Stew IS GOOD

Sometimes they milk cows but mostly goats

Hugs cuppy tight mmmmm
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Allison:
Eire.....this is one fantastic story! I am really enjoying the read. Keep it coming lady!

Alli

Allison,
Thank you very much Very Happy

Hugs tight
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:59 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: