BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Jade (Rough Chapter Four)

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Jade (Rough Chapter Four)

Just remember this story is not fully completed so if you run across a mistake or two just remember that.

Chapter Four

The next morning Jade woke up to the sound of a horn signaling the arrival of yet another clan. She dressed and went out to where some tables had been set up with all kinds of food, she grabbed a couple of apples then went on to see the new arrivals. Wisp caught up to her near the edge of their camp.
"Aspen told me about sending a couple of scouts to try and find Nightwind." Wisp said as she walked up next to Jade.
“I thought it would be worth the chance.” Jade said.
“If they can find them then convince them that what they say is true and then convince them to help it will be well worth it.” Wisp replied.
"It is a beautiful sunrise Wisp.” Jade said when the Matriarch had had stopped to stand next to her.
"Yes it is.” Wisp said looking at the sky.
“I heard the horn and thought I would watch them come in.” Jade said as she watched another clan join the gathering.
“Mist wanted me to ask if it would be ok to wait until this evening or perhaps tomorrow morning to meet with all the clan leaders?" Wisp asked Jade.
“I have already talked to most of them individually and they all seem very supportive so I don’t think it would hurt to wait until morning to talk to them all together.
“He felt the same way. Everyone I have talked to has been very supportive also.” Wisp said as she watched the recent arrivals coming in.
“This is amazing wisp. When I was sent to get help I never imagined finding more than a few hundred or maybe a thousand.” Jade said looking around at all the tents and Elves.
“I think you found more than that.” Wisp replied.
“There must be a hundred thousand elves here.” Jade said as she looked around.
“The last time we had a count was almost five hundred years ago. There were eighty-four thousand three hundred and twenty-eight then.” Maple said as he strolled by. Wisp shook her head and looked at Maple.
“We have never had a count that I know of in the Green Forest.” Jade asked curiously and wondered about that.
“We have one every five hundred years.” Maple said as he continued on his way.
“He has a way of slipping up on you.” Jade said watching him.
“Maple is a good source of information. I think he has a gift for talking” Wisp said with a smile as she looked at Jade. “Lets go welcome the new arrivals.”
Jade experienced the same reaction in meeting Snow and his clan as she had with all the others. Disbelief followed by amazement and a willingness to help. Snow sat and listened as Jade told her story. When she had finished Snow looked her in the eyes, still amazed at the colour of them. He leaned forward slightly then rested his elbows on his knees and looked down at the grass they were sitting on.
“I would have never dreamed anything like this in my lifetime.” Snow said then looked back up and into Jades eyes.
“It is all true.” Jade told him matching his gaze.
“Wisp I assume you will affirm this ones words?” He asked without looking away from Jade.
“Yes and I saw the Earth Mother myself as did Mist and Willow.” Wisp said calmly in support of what Jade had told Snow.
“In the legends many…many thousands of us died keeping Kerrah at bay and putting him down. We were able to do so because we banded together as one so we must do it again.” Snow said with some sadness in his voice.
“Then we have your support.” Wisp asked as she and Jade stood.
“You have my full support.” Snow said as he looked up into Jades eyes.
“Thank you.” Jade said as turned to leave.
“Tomorrow after the morning meal all the clan leaders are meeting at the great oak.” Wisp said before following Jade.
“I will be there and Wisp…” Snow said and Wisp turned to look at him.
“This could turn out very bad and if it was not for her eyes and you confirming her story I may not have believed her.” He told her.
“Yes it could turn out very bad and I am afraid most of the burden rests on her shoulders.” She said then went to catch up with Jade.
“How did you get all the others you have talked with to believe you?” Wisp asked Jade as she caught up to her.
“Renee suggested when I talked to any of the clan leaders to make sure I had someone with me that had seen the Earth Mother and Mist told me to make sure they saw my eyes.” Jade told her with a smile.
“It seems to be working very well. Snow is not an easy one to convince of anything and he is one of the most respected clan leaders so with his support I think all things are going very well.” Wisp said as they walked back to their camp.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade spent the rest of the morning visiting other clans as did Mist and Wisp. When the sun was high overhead Jade made her way back to camp were she saw them sitting in front of Wisps tent eating.
“How has your day been?” Mist asked Jade as she approached.
“I have been talking so much I think I am starting to sound like a frog.” Jade said as she sat down.
{Ribbit.} Renee asked.
{Shut up.} Jade told her with an inward smile.
“I want to thank both of you for all of your help. Without you I am not sure what I would have done. Finding you and especially all of this.” Jade said looking back out over the encampment. “All of this was beyond my wildest dreams of what I would find here.”
“As we have said before Jade…you do not have to thank us because we are not only aiding you but protecting ourselves as well.” Mist said then took another bite of roasted meat.
“I sometimes wonder were I would be right now if Willow had not found me.” Jade said as she wiped an apple off then took a bite from it.
“You would probably still be face down in the mud.” Willow said walking up behind Jade with a wide grin on her face.
“Will all the clans be here today?" Jade asked looking at Mist then at Wisp as she answered.
“Most likely they will all be here by nightfall I think there is only one or two that have not arrived yet.” Wisp said.
“You are all that anyone is talking about all around the gathering.” Willow said as she sat and leaned back against a tree.
“She is right…I have not been anywhere that you have not been all anyone is talking about.” Mist said as he finished eating.
“I believe you will not have any trouble gaining the full support of all the clans.” Wisp said and Mist agreed with her.
{They have all been very helpful to you.} Renee told Jade.
{Yes they have.} Jade said very thankfully.
{You had good luck in meeting them.}
{I certainly was lucky.} Jade said as she looked over at Willow and noticed that had something wrapped up sitting next to her.
{Do you think that is the gift you arranged for Aspen to give her?} Renee asked.
{Yes and like she accepted it.} Jade replied.
{So, that does not mean anything.} Renee said.
{It means a lot…she accepted it.} Jade retorted.
{Just because she took the carving does not mean anything.}
{Oh you…you don’t know anything.} Jade said and heard laughter inside her head.
"Willow, what is that?" Jade said indicating the wrapped bundle next to her.
"It was a gift from Aspen. It’s a beautiful carving of an Eagle. It even looks a little like the one we saw at Stillwater Lake.” Willow said as she unwrapped the bundle.
"Yes it does a little.” Jade said, as she looked the carving over pretending to have never seen it.
“Did you notice the eyes, they sparkle like little stars.” Willow said smiling.
"They do don't they.” Jade said as she looked at the eyes.
{You know they do.} Renee told her.
"It was nice of Aspen to give it to you.” Jade told Willow.
"Yes it was. I'm going to put it in my tent I'll see you later.” Willow said as she bundled the carving up and walked toward her tent with a slight smile on her face and an unseen glance toward Jade.
{It looks like my plan is working, and I told you she likes him.} Jade told Renee as she watched Willow leave.
{It's not over yet and there is something troubling her} Renee replied.
{It would just as well be over, she is hooked.} Jade told Renee.
{The line can still break.} Renee replied.
{Did any elf ever tell you that you are a pessimist?} Jade asked.
{Not any elf, but some people have.} Renee replied with what Jade knew was a giggle.
{You’re impossible.} Jade told Renee.
{We'll see who is right about this.}
{Yes we will. Lets go find Aspen.} Jade said as she got up and excused herself then went looking for Aspen.
{Oh brother.} Renee muttered, wishing she could stay behind.
{Now where do you think he could be?} Jade said, having fun playing matchmaker.
{I have no idea where he is nor do I wish to find out.} Renee told Jade then added, {But I think I'm going to find out anyway.}
{Of course you are.} Jade said with a grin. Aspen was standing in the shade of a tree talking to some scouts none of which Jade recognized. Walking up behind Aspen Jade noticed some of the other scouts staring at her.
"What? Do I have something on my tunic?" Jade said brushing her tunic, knowing there was nothing on it.
"Greetings Jade." Aspen said as he recognized Jades soft voice and turned to look at her. "If all you can do is stand and stare, then off with you." Jade heard one of the scouts tell the others as he shooed them away.
"Jade, this is Leaf he is the scout leader from the Oakwood clan and, those were his scouts.” Aspen said smiling as he watched the scouts walk away.
"Greetings to you my lady." Leaf said in an accent that Jade thought sounded familiar, but could not at the moment remember why.
"Greetings to you as well." Jade replied with a slight bow.
"I was just telling leaf a little about you.” Aspen told Jade.
"I hope it was mostly good.” Jade said smiling.
"Actually it was nothing less than remarkable. He told me that you came from across the Sunset Mountains and that you are here searching for help and to find some kind of stone.” Leaf said as though he did not quite believe it all.
"That is all true. My people need help and the Earth Mother said I could find it here.” Jade said crossing her arms and staring him in the eye.
"The Earth Mother huh.” Leaf said with some doubt in his voice as he looked her up and down admiring her beauty and near perfect features then he saw a pair of green eyes and all his doubt began to fade.
"Yes, the Earth Mother.” Jade replied tartly.
"It…is all true isn't it?" Leaf said, then before Jade could answer added, "Your eyes tell it all. Everything Aspen has been telling me is true and the stories I have heard since arriving…they are all true?”
“I don’t know what stories you have heard but I have no doubt that everything Aspen has told you is the truth.” Jade said.
“I would like to take you to meet Running Bear my clans leader.” Leaf said with a serious look.
"I would like that.” Jade replied.
"Then follow me.” Leaf said and Jade followed him with Aspen at her side.
"He has to be the shortest elf I have ever seen.” Jade whispered to Aspen.
"Don't let his size fool you, even though he is only three and a half feet tall he has been known to take care of many elves and men that were a lot bigger than him.” Aspen replied.
"I will remember that.” Jade said then asked Aspen what happened when he gave Willow her carving.
"She was speechless. I know she liked the carving, but I can only hope she likes me as much.” Aspen said somberly.
{Ha, I told you didn't I?} Renee said with no immediate reply from Jade.
"Don't worry Aspen if she doesn't, she will.” Jade told Aspen then sent a thought to Renee. {It's not over yet so don't count your acorns before they fall.}
{It may not be over yet, but that line is starting to get tighter.} Renee replied.
“Running Bear.” Jade heard Leaf say as they entered his camp, and walked toward a slender Elf with a child on his knee.
"What is it Leaf.” Running Bear said in cheerful voice.
"I brought someelf I thought you should meet.” Leaf replied then after introducing Running Bear to Jade, Leaf excused himself.
"It is a pleasure to meet you Jade, and to see you again Aspen.” Running Bear said as they walked toward his tent.
"It is nice to see you again as well.” Aspen replied.
"You are the one Wisp mentioned when I talked to her a short while ago. She told me why you are here, and if you don't mind I would like to hear more.” Running Bear said and invited them into his tent then motioned for them to sit.
"I will tell you anything you would like to know.” Jade said as she sat down.
"If you don't mind I would like to hear it all." Jade told Running Bear what was happening in her forest and her journey to his forest. Jade told Running bear everything just like she had told the story to dozens of others and she never told any of them about the other spirit…the soul within her soul.
"That was all very interesting, very interesting indeed.” Running Bear said once Jade had finished.
"Will you help her?" Aspen asked.
Running Bear looked at Aspen thoughtfully then turned to Jade and said, "If all you have said is true and I believe it is, then just as I told Wisp…by all means I will help."
"Thank you.” Jade said.
"My clan is small and we do not have many scouts, but they and the entire clan is at your disposal.”
Thank you again Running Bear…did Wisp tell you about the meeting tomorrow?” Jade said.
“She did and I will be there.” He replied

XXXXXXXXXX

After leaving Running Bears camp Aspen and Jade visited with several other clans before returning to there camp. They had gone from clan to clan so that she could meet as many of the clan leaders as possible and tell them what was happening on the other side of the Sunset Mountains. Some of the clans promised to help while others said that they would discuss the matter with their clan and give their decision at the meeting.
"I hear you have been very busy today.” Wisp said when she saw Jade and Aspen walking into camp.
"I must have told the same story a dozen or more times.” Jade said wearily.
"How did it go?" Wisp asked.
"I don't know for sure, I believe it went rather well. Some promised help while others said that they would have to think about it.” Jade said as she sat down and leaned back against a tree next to Wisps tent.
"You are without a doubt leaving here with far more than you expected.” Willow said as she and Wind stepped from around Wisps tent.
“Far far more than I ever expected.” Jade said as she looked toward Willow.
“The only question is what are you going to do once your army is ready? After all aren't you going to look for the stone then?" Wind asked. "You're not going to look all over the forest for that stone with an army following behind, are you?" Aspen asked.
"No, at the moment I'm not sure what I should do.” Jade replied.
“What you need is someone to lead the army to the pass while you are searching for the stone.” Mist suggested.
“That is a wonderful idea Mist but what if or if it takes to long.” Willow said.
“No…they cannot wait. Once they are on the move they cannot stop until they reach Shadow Lake or make contact with the clans there.” Jade said as she looked at each of them.
“Jade is right…once we are on the move it would be best not to stop except when absolutely necessary.” Aspen said.
“There is not anyone here except Jade who knows how to get to Shadow Lake. We could wander around in the Green Forest for days or weeks and never see another Elf.” Willow said.
{Why don’t you draw them a map showing them how to get to this Shadow Lake so they can keep moving and not have to wait for you?} Renee suggested.
{A map giving them directions is a wonderful idea…thank you Renee.}
{Not a problem.} Renee told Jade.
“I will draw out a map showing the way to the pass the Earth Mother made and how to get to Shadow Lake from the pass.” Jade said finding a solution to one of the problems thanks to Renee.
“That takes care of the problem of reaching Shadow Lake but if you are not with them who should lead them?” Wisp asked.
“With them or not the Elf who leads them should be from one of the clans here…not me.” Jade said
“Then tomorrow at the meeting I will make the suggestion to select a leader for the army besides it would be much better to have an army acting as one rather than one army acting separately.” Mist said taking care of the second problem
"You look like you could use some rest.” Wisp told Jade seeing how tired she looked.
"I probably could, I think I'll go on to my tent.” Jade said as she got up to leave.
"I'll walk with you if you don't mind?" Willow said as she got up to follow Jade. After walking a short distance Willow looked at Jade and said, "Why do you think Aspen gave me that carving today?”
"You mean you don't know?" Jade said, a little surprised by the question.
{This could get interesting.} Renee told Jade.
"I have some idea, but why do you think he gave it to me?" Willow replied.
"I think it's obvious, he did it because he likes you.” Jade said as they stopped in front of her tent.
"Jade, I don't want him to like me.” Willow said seriously.
"Why? Why don't you want him to like you?" Jade said a little shocked by what Willow had said. Willow looked at Jade for a moment before she replied. "Because, I'm afraid. I don't want to like him, but he makes it hard not to like him. So if he doesn't like me it would be easier not to like him." Willow said as she followed Jade into her tent.
"Willow what you said does not make any sense to me.” Jade said as she lit a candle. Willow sat cross-legged on the floor of the tent with her forearms resting on her knees. She stared down at her hands, but was not actually looking at them. Willow was thinking about the real reason she did not want to be any part of Aspens life and after thinking about it she decided to tell Jade the true reason she did not want to like Aspen or be liked by him. "I do not want to be hurt again, Jade.” Willow said in a low voice. "I have never told any Elf this before. When I was a mercenary a long time ago . . . I was very much in love with the nicest, most charming Elf you could imagine so kind and gentle. We had both signed to fight with a human army, and when our contracts were up we were going to be together forever.” Willow said with a smile as she remembered, but the smile quickly faded as other memories flooded her mind. "But with death comes the end of dreams. River died in my arms Jade.” Willow said listlessly, "I swore that I would never be hurt like that again.” She said as tears ran down her cheeks and dropped onto the ground. Jade looked at Willow sadly as she thought of her own mate who had died just before she set out on a journey that led her here.
"I am sorry.” Jade said with her feelings evident in her voice. Willow said nothing in reply she simply looked up as if starring into the distance.
"I'm not going to tell you to forget the feelings you shared, but that you must go on with your life knowing that you can have those feelings to share with another.” Jade said trying to ease Willows pain with advice she knew she should herself take.
"What do you know of how I felt or how I should feel!" Willow said looking up at Jade with anger in her eyes.
"A great deal . . . my mate died before I left to come here.” Jade said pointedly.
"Oh Jade…I’m sorry…I didn't know.” Willow said ashamed of her outburst.
"Willow.” Jade said as she placed an arm across her friends shoulder. "All I'm asking is that you remember how it felt to love and know that you can feel that way again.
"Jade, I don't want to feel the pain I felt when River died, I don't want to feel that way again.” Willow said as she wiped the tears from her eyes.
"I understand. I find myself at times thinking as you do but you have to fight that fear of feeling and sharing love. There is always risk in loving." Jade said calmly and comforted each other’s sorrow until Willow left to go to her own tent.
{I don't think she can feel love anymore.} Renee told Jade.
{I know how she feels, but I think Aspen could help her if she would just let him.} Jade replied.
{Are you sure you should mettle in this knowing how she feels?} Renee calmly asked.
{If it will bring her love again, it will be well worth the risk.} Jade replied.
{What about yourself?} Jade did not reply.

XXXXXXXXXX

That night Willow lay awake in her tent remembering the past. She was remembering the day she saw her love fall to the ground. She remembered the arrow striking her in the heart, and the feeling that it had pierced her own as well. Willow recalled the words Jade had said, 'remember how it felt to love and know that you can feel that way again.' Willow smiled as she remembered the times she and River had spent together laughing, dancing, and just talking. However, as always her memories went back to that day when an arrow pierced two hearts. Willows eyes drifted to a dark corner of her tent where an exquisitely carved eagle sat. The eagle appeared to be rising into the air with a catch secure in its talons. Willow cried herself into a restless sleep where she dreamed of a long ago battle and a new one that lay ahead.

XXXXXXXXXX
Nightwind sat bolt upright as she suddenly awoke from a dream. Her breathing was laborious, and her skin was soaked with sweat. The rays from the early morning sun shown in through the tent flap as she looked around the tent and she looked out to see Hawk making his way toward her as she began undoing the braid in her hair, and tried to make some sense out her nightmarish dream.
"Good morning.” Hawk said, as he entered the tent and noticed the sleepless look on Nightwinds face, "Did you have that dream again?" He asked.
"No, this one was different. Some thing I could not see was chasing me but I know whatever it was it was horrible.” Then she slipped out of her bedroll and said, “I do not wish to talk about it right now.” She told him.
"As you wish.” Hawk said with an affectionate smile, "All of the scouts have been told what to do. We should be at the camp sometime today."
"Good, the sooner the better.” Nightwind said, as she got dressed.
"This is going to be something.” Hawk said as he followed Nightwind out of the tent.
"It will be the biggest surprise the clans have ever seen.” Nightwind said, her white hair flowing behind her as she smiled.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade sat nervously under the huge Oak tree. Mist, sitting next to her leaned over and told her not to worry that everything would be fine. They waited until all the clan leaders were gathered, then Wisp got up from beside Jade.
"Most of you know why Mist and I asked you here today, but for those of you who do not, I would like you to meet Jade.” Wisp said and pointed toward Jade, "and I will ask her to tell you the reasons she is here.” Wisp said as she turned to Jade but then someone stood.
“I don’t think Jade needs to tell us why she is here.” Snow said as he walked to the front of the crowd. “We have this gathering of all the clans of the forest every year as we have done for ten thousand years. At first it was a celebration of what we had accomplished in defeating Kerrah and his forces in the Green Forest. Since then it has become a tradition for us to gather here in the center of our forest and come together as one. For all these years we have always known our legends of the Green Forest were true…deep inside ourselves we knew but over the millennia our kin became lost to us in our legends as we became lost to them. One who has come from that legendary place seeking help has found us. Jade I assume has talked to most of you. She has told you that our ancient enemy has returned and at this very moment her family, her clan, her very forest is fighting to keep Kerrah at bay long enough for her and others like her to find enough help to once again defeat Kerrah and his forces. I know that individually we have all agreed to aid all that we can but I think it would be much better if we all agreed as one to aid Jade and all the Elves of the Green Forest and once again come together as one with our kindred beyond the Sunset Mountains.” For a long moment after Snow stopped speaking there was silence then from the back of the crowd a voice as sweet as honey spoke. “We could never do otherwise.” Then another spoke. “I agree with Dove.” On and on it went until all agreed…as one.
“Then it is done.”
{I believe you have far more than a few hundred to take back…I think you have a full army.} Renee told Jade.
After promising there aid there was much to be discussed. How the army was to be organized, who would lead it, what supplies would be needed…and how long it would take to get to the Green Forest and what they may find once there. By the time Jade left the meeting it was mid-afternoon. As she walked out of the tent she heard a horn blow signaling the arrival of another clan. Jade turned to Wisp, who was walking beside her.
"I thought all the clans were already here."
"So did I.” Wisp said with a look of curiosity on her face.
"They are, except for the Spirit Lake clans.” Snow said from behind Jade.
"This I have got to see.” Wisp said and started walking to the edge of camp along with hundreds of other curious observers.
"I don't believe it.” Wisp said in utter shock at the site.
{She sure stands out in a crowd.} Renee told Jade as they watched a mass of elves pour over a small rise, however all eyes were on one Elf in particular.
{That she does.} Jade replied as her eyes were fixed on the Elf with snow-white hair.

XXXXXXXXXX

Nightwind looked down at a city of tents from her perch overlooking the Heartwood below. She did not know why she had came, but for some reason she could not explain she had brought the nomadic clans together and brought them to the gathering. Hawk came up to stand next to her.
“Well my white haired beauty, why have you brought us here?" He asked her.
“Hawk, you have asked me that same question many times now, and you will get the same answer as always. I really don't know. I just had a feeling we should be here.” Nightwind replied as she looked up into Hawks handsome face.
"Do you think it could have anything to do with the dreams you've been having?” He asked.
"I'm not sure, but it could. I just really don't know.” Nightwind said as she looked back down at the tents below.
"Where would you like to set up camp?" Hawk asked, changing the subject.
"I am sure you will pick a good spot. You always do.” Nightwind said as she placed a hand on Hawks shoulder. Hawk looked around then pointed to a spot next to Wisps camp and said, "How about over there?"
"It looks good, lets go.” She replied leading the way down the hill.
"Did you hear that?" Nightwind asked, hearing the sound of a horn.
"It sounded like a horn. There it is again.” Hawk said as he heard the horn blow again.
"It must be some kind of signal.” Nightwind said thoughtfully.
"It probably is to let us know we have been seen, and to let every elf in camp know that someone is coming.” Hawk said as he pointed to a crowd gathering at the edge of camp to watch them.
"I don't believe they know what to think of us.” Hawk told Nightwind.
“And we don't know what to think of them, so we are even on that.” Nightwind replied as they continued down the hill to the site they had picked to set up camp.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade watched as the nomads flowed over the hill. As she watched she remembered some-elf saying that it had been about a thousand years since the nomads had attended a gathering, and she wondered why they had come now. "There must be thousands of them.” Jade heard a voice from nearby say. "What clan are they?” Another voice said.
“It looks like they are going to camp next to us.” Willow said as she walked up to stand next to Jade.
"Yes it does.” Jade replied.
{I guess Aspen could have left those two scouts here.} Renee told Jade.
{I wonder if they are with them.} Jade replied.
"It has been a thousand years since they came here. I wonder why they are here now.” Wisp said.
"I was wondering the same thing.” Willow said.
"Did you say her name was Nightwind?" Jade asked Willow.
"Yes, that's her with the white hair.” Willow said pointing.
"I think I will talk with her.” Jade said thoughtfully.
"You are not going to talk to her now, are you?" Willow asked.
"No, I'm going back to camp and eat, then after they have gotten their camp set up I will see if I can talk to her.” Jade said as she turned to walk back to camp, and had to push her way through the crowd that had gathered to see the new arrivals.
"You know what they say about her, don't you?" Willow asked as she followed Jade.
"That she is in disfavor with the Earth Mother?" Jade said making a question out of her response.
"Yes that is what they say.” Willow replied.
"I don't believe that and I know you don’t either, besides I need all the help I can get and Aspen said that her scouts are most likely the best fighters in the forest.” Jade said as they continued on to camp. After eating Jade and Willow went to the edge of their camp and watched as the nomads set up camp.
"They will have their camp set up in half the time it took us.” Willow remarked.
"I don't see Nightwind anywhere.” Jade said becoming a little impatient.
"I don’t see her either.” Willow stated.
"Come on lets see if we can find her.” Jade said and started walking toward the nomad camp.
"I thought you were going to wait until their camp was set up.” Willow said as she followed Jade.
"I changed my mind." Jade said as they walked into the camp.
As they looked around for Nightwind Jade noticed all the looks and sidelong glances they were getting. They looked around for awhile then Willow approached several of the elves and asked where she could find her.
"Any luck.” Jade asked Willow.
"How would you like to go for a swim?” Willow said with a smile.
"Not right now, I would like to find Nightwind first.” Jade replied.
"I was told that she is at the lake swimming." Willow said smiling.
“Then a swim sounds pretty good right now.” Jade said with a smile of her own.
Willow led the way to where she had been told Nightwind was swimming. As they stepped onto the beach they saw a figure with white hair swimming toward the shore.
"Do you mind if we join you?" Jade asked Nightwind as she stepped from the water.
"It is all yours, I was just leaving.” Nightwind replied in a smooth even voice. Jade tried not to stare at the strangely beautiful elf, but having never seen a white haired bronze skinned elf before made it difficult. When Nightwind returned Jades stare, Jade saw what appeared to be a look of recognition in her dark eyes.
"Do I know you?” Nightwind said as she cocked her head to one side and squinted as if trying to remember where she had seen the elf before.
"We have never met that I know of. I'm Jade, this is Willow.” Jade said with a nod toward her companion.
"And you are?" Jade asked.
"Greeting to you both.” Nightwind said with a slight bow that Jade and Willow returned, "and as if you did not already know, my name is Nightwind.” She said taking a step closer to Jade.
"It's nice to meet you.” Jade said as the nomad picked up a drying cloth that was lying on the beach next to her tunic and pants.
"You have green eyes. I have never seen green eyes before.” Nightwind said as she moved to get a better look.
As she looked into Jades eyes she remembered where she had seen them before and thought to herself, 'You are the one in my dream.'
"And I have never seen and elf with white hair.” Jade replied with a smile that was not returned.
"What clan are you from?" Nightwind asked as she continued to dry off.
"I am staying with clan Stillwater.” Jade answered.
"You are staying with clan Stillwater, does that mean you are not from clan Stillwater?" Nightwind asked in the same smooth even voice she had been using.
"No, I'm not from the Stillwater clan. I'm from the Green Forest and my clan is the Clearwater clan.” Jade said with a serious look, and received a chuckle from Nightwind.
“Are you trying to play a joke on me? Every Elf knows that the Green Forest is only a legend."
"Not anymore.” Willow said seriously.
"Are saying that she is from the Green Forest?" Nightwind asked in the same smooth even tone.
"If you have a few moments, I will tell all about it.” Jade said.
"You can tell me about it back at my tent while we have some maylie to drink.” Nightwind said as she put her black tunic and britches on, and thought that this could be interesting. As they walked back to Nightwinds camp Jade quietly asked Willow what maylie was since she had never heard of the drink before.
"It is a strong drink made from the maylie berry, which only grows near Spirit Lake and the Endless Sea. It is a very coveted drink among most of us who live in the forest. I am surprised you have not had any yet.” Willow responded.
As Nightwind sipped her cup of maylie, she listened carefully to every word Jade said and all the while her calm blank expression never changed, making Jade wonder if she was listening at all. After she had finished her story and Nightwind started questioning her, Jade knew that she had heard every word.
“And yesterday there were two scouts sent to find you and explain everything to you in hopes you would help.” Jade said finishing her story.
{If I have to listen to you tell that story again I will scream.} Renee said letting Jade know that she had heard every word as well.
{If anyone screams it will be me.} Jade replied.
{Company is always appreciated.} Renee said.
“Hawk.” Nightwind said and Hawk stepped inside the tent flap. “They sent two scouts to Spirit Lake yesterday. Find them and bring them back.” Nightwind said and Hawk opened the tent flap and made a few gestures to someone outside.
“They will have them back in by tomorrow night.” Hawk said then went back outside.
“But they have over a days head start on your scouts.” Willow said.
“I don’t think the scouts Hawk just sent will stop until they catch the ones Aspen sent and while Aspens scouts will stop tonight Hawks will not.” Jade said to Willow
"You assume correctly. Now you say that the Earth Mother sent you here?" Nightwind asked Jade after considering what Jade had told her.
"Yes, everything happened just the way I said.” Jade answered.
"She told you that you could find help here as well as the stone you mentioned. Have you had any success at either?" Nightwind asked, unsure as to whether or not she believed what Jade had told her.
"I have had good success in raising an army, and it will be ready to leave in about four days at the most.” Jade told her.
"And the stone, have you found it yet?" Nightwind asked.
"No, but we have a good idea as to where to start looking.” Jade replied, and could not help but wonder what this elf was thinking.
"How are you going to find it?" Nightwind wanted to know.
"What do you mean?" Jade asked.
"Are you going to take your army to look for it or are you going by yourself?" Nightwind explained her question. "The clans here are deciding on a leader for the army and I have provided them with directions on how to get to Shadow Lake in the Green Forest while I look for the stone.” Jade said then took a small sip of maylie and looked across the brim of the cup at the expressionless face of Nightwind.
"So you will be looking for the stone by yourself then?" Nightwind asked.
"No, Willow and a friend of hers will be going with me. Wind, Willows friend may know an elf who can lead us to the stone.” Jade replied, starting to feel as though she was being interrogated.
"You did not go to the lake to swim. You were looking for me weren't you?" Nightwind said staring into Jades eyes.
"Yes, I went there looking for you.” Jade answered and stared back into Nightwinds eyes, eyes that she would have sworn earlier were a dark brown, but know she could not say what color they were.
"You probably want to know if I will help you?" Nightwind said.
"Will you?" Jade asked calmly.
"I cannot answer that right now, but I will talk to my clan and the other clans that are with me. You said that you are staying with the Stillwater clan?" Nightwind said.
"Yes, and our camp is over there.” Jade said as she pointed South to the camp next to Nightwinds.
"I will let you know my decision before dark.” Nightwind told her guests.
"Thank you for listening.” Jade said as she emptied her cup of maylie, "And for the drink it was very good."
"Your welcome.” Nightwind said as they stepped out of her tent.
"Now that was one impressive elf.” Willow said as they walked back to their camp.
"She most certainly is.” Jade responded.
"Do you think she will help?" Willow asked.
"I hope so. I could certainly use it.” Jade replied.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade was sitting in front of her tent when Willow came by to see if Nightwind delivered her decision yet.
"Has she been by here yet?" Willow asked as she sat across the fire from Jade.
"No, not yet.” Jade said as she looked toward Nightwinds camp, "and it is starting to get dark."
{What do you think of Nightwind?} Renee asked Jade.
{She was impressive and commanding. What do you think of her?} Jade asked in return.
{I'm not sure. She was impressive and she seemed to command respect, but there was something more about her.} Renee told Jade.
{When you figure it out let me know.} Jade told Renee.
{I most certainly will.} Renee responded.
"Willow what do you think of Nightwind?" Jade asked Willow, wanting another opinion.
"Well, like I said earlier she was impressive.” Willow replied.
"Is that all you think of her?" Jade asked.
"I really can't tell you any more than that, after all I just met her but I can tell you that she is all any Elf can talk about.” Willow told Jade.
"What are they saying?" A voice from nearby said in a soft even tone that could only be Nightwinds. Jade and Willow looked in the direction the voice had came from and saw Nightwind standing beside a tree with Hawk at her side. "I am sorry if I surprised you.” Nightwind said as she approached the campfire with Hawk following behind.
"Please sit down.” Jade said as her guests neared the fire.
"This is Hawk. He is my scout leader.” Nightwind said as she sat down.
Jade appraised Hawk as he stood behind Nightwind with one hand on her shoulder and the other near a knife stuck in his belt. He wore black leather britches and tunic like Nightwind, and Jade could tell he was in great shape by his build. His skin was just a shade lighter than Nightwinds, and his hair was the opposite in color while Nightwinds was as white as snow Hawks was as black as the darkest night.
“Greetings to you.” Jade and Willow both said. Hawk nodded but said nothing.
"Now tell me what is being said about me.” Nightwind said looking at Willow.
Willow looked at Jade who nodded for her to tell Nightwind what she had heard.
"Well every Elf is surprised you are even here, after all it has been a thousand years since the Spirit Lake clans have been to a gathering. All any Elf can do is guess as to the reason you are here now.” Willow began saying.
"And why do they think I'm here?" Nightwind, sitting crossed legged said.
"Most think you came to trade goods while others think you came on a whim. Some even think you are here to get mates for your clans.” Willow told her.
"And why do you think I am here?" Nightwind asked Willow in the same calm even voice that seemed to never change, but she received her answer from Jade.
"I think the Earth Mother sent you.” Jade said and for the first time since they had met she saw an expression on Nightwinds face. It was a brief look of surprise that was gone as quickly as it appeared.
"Why do you say that?” Nightwind asked with her face once again expressionless.
"Just a thought.” Jade said with a shrug of her shoulders.
{And a good one but then again…someone else could have sent her.} Renee told Jade. As Nightwind brushed her hair back from her face, Jade noticed an earring dangling from her ear. As it gleamed in the firelight she could tell that it resembled a bird of some kind.
"What have you decided about helping me?" Jade asked.
"We will help as much as possible as long as you take me with you.” Nightwind replied.
"Take you with me?" Jade said, unsure as to exactly what Nightwind meant.
"Yes, you have to take me with you to find the stone.” Nightwind replied.
"And if I don't?" Jade asked with a blank face.
"If you do not, then we will not help you.” Nightwind replied with a shrug of her shoulders. Jade stared at the white headed elf for a moment.
{She has an army with her, and if they are as good as Aspen says then you have to agree to take her with us.} Renee told Jade.
{You're right about that.} Jade replied then to Nightwind she said, "Very well you may come with us to look for the stone.”
"Hawk, when can you have the clans ready.” Nightwind said. "They can be ready at sunrise if needed.” He replied. "Tell the one you have leading your army to let Hawk know when they want to leave. Hawk you are in charge of our scouts and will coordinate with their leaders.” Nightwind said as she stood then turned back to Jade. “It will be understandable if there clans are not ready for a day or two seeing as how they are not use to working together on a regular basis.”
"May I ask you something?" Jade said looking up at Nightwind.
"What?" Nightwind replied as she ran a hand through her hair and Jade looked up at her slowly.
"Why do you think you are here?" Jade asked. Nightwind thought about the question for a moment then Jade saw her smile for the first time since they had met.
"I will tell you what I tell Hawk every time he asks a similar question. I don't know I just had a feeling we should be here.” Nightwind said as she turned to leave then looking back at Jade she added, "I also had a dream about you."
"A dream about me?" Jade said confused by the statement. "Yes, I will tell you about it sometime, but right now I have to go.” Nightwind said as she left.
{That was interesting.} Renee told Jade.
{Yes it was, but I think the Earth Mother gave her the feeling that made her come here.} Jade replied thoughtfully.
{Maybe, then again maybe not.} Renee said thinking that maybe someone or something else played a hand in Nightwinds presence.
"We should let Wisp know that the army has nearly doubled.” Willow said, unaware of the conversation between Jade and Renee.
"Yes we had better as soon as possible so they can be ready for them."

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade and Willow saw Aspen sitting with Wisp and some scouts in front of Wisps tent.
"Greetings Jade. Aspen was just telling us how he was selected to be the leader of the scouts.” Wisp said as Jade and Willow walked up.
"That is wonderful. We were just about to ask who had been picked so we could tell them that their army has almost doubled if not more than doubled.” Willow said with a smile.
“What do you mean?” Aspen said with a curious look.
“Nightwinds clans are going to help?” Wisp asked.
“Yes they are and Hawk who is Nightwinds scout leader said he would be ready to go in the morning and for whoever was leading your clans to let him know when they were ready and it seems that would be you Aspen.” Jade said.
“I will talk to him tomorrow and let him know it will take about a day to get everything organized before we will be ready to go and I assume you want us to go as soon as possible." Aspen said to Jade.
“Yes…the sooner the better.” Jade replied.
"When do you plan on leaving to look for the stone?" Wisp asked.
"I’m not really needed here anymore. You, Mist and the other clan leaders know more of what needs to be done now to get to the Green Forest than I do. I think it is time I started looking for the stone.” Jade replied.
“I am sure we can get organized and on our way in a day or two.” Aspen assured Jade.
“Willow will you let Wind know we will leave tomorrow?” Jade said as she stood up. “I will go tell Nightwind.”
“When should we be ready?” Willow asked.
“Sunrise after the morning meal.” Jade said as she walked off toward Nightwinds camp.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade made her way through the Redwood clans camp toward Nightwinds tent when she saw the lithe Elf sitting twenty paces away with her back toward her in what she thought was an odd position.
{She looks like she is…meditating.} Renee commented to Jade.
{What is that?} Jade asked.
{It is a way of communing with ones inner spirit or with their God.} Renee said.
{That is interesting.} Jade told Renee as she started toward Nightwind.
“Greetings Jade.” Nightwind before Jade had taken a single step toward her.
“Greetings Nightwind.” Jade said as she walked toward the dark clad Elf.
{How did she know it was you?} Renee asked.
{There are ways of knowing. She might be a mage or maybe it was the sound of my footsteps.} Jade told Renee as she walked to stand in front of Nightwind and noticed Nightwinds eyes were closed.
“I thought I would let you know to be ready to leave after the morning meal.” Jade said and watched as Nightwind opened her eyes. Jade would have sworn her eyes sparkled but was unsure until Renee confirmed what she had seen.
“We go to find the stone then?” Nightwind asked looking into Jades eyes and could not help but feel there was more to Jade than met the eyes.
“Wind will take us to hopefully meet someone who can help us find it.” Jade told her as she peered into Nightwinds eyes. Eyes she could not put a color to.
{Jade, those eyes feel like they are looking into my soul…almost like she is looking at me.} Renee said.
{I feel it also.} Jade said and thought she saw a look of curiosity flicker across Nightwinds face.
“I will be ready.” Nightwind said as she looked toward Hawk who was approaching from the direction of the lake. It was obvious he had been swimming because his hair was still wet.
“I will see you at sunrise then.” Jade said as she headed back to her own tent in Wisps camp.
{There is more to her than appearances tell.} Renee told Jade as they walked back to her tent.
{She is different.} Jade said.
{Lets go join a dance.} Renee said enthusiastically.
{What?}
{Lets go dance it will help you relax a little…I can feel your tension.} Renee told her.
{We have to leave tomorrow and I need some sleep.}
{What you need is to relax…and if you don’t take us dancing I will keep you up all night.} Renee threatened.
{You are impossible…ok we will dance but we are not staying up all night.} Jade said giving in to Renee’s demands.

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Allison

Wow Eire. This is one awesome story. Looking forward to your next posts.

Alli

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
cupcakes

i change my mind...i'll take nightwind instead.

Do you think i'd look good with white hair?

~cUp

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:36 pm 
Eire

Jade

Ok, I'm up to date, just finished 3 and 4.

Terrific, Eire!!!!

Mdm Prez

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:38 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Allison:
Wow Eire. This is one awesome story. Looking forward to your next posts.

Alli

Thank you very much Allison...looking into you pouting eyes...chapter five is on the way.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by cupcakes:

i change my mind...i'll take nightwind instead.

Do you think i'd look good with white hair?

~cUp

And here I have been trying to butter Jade up just for you and now you toss her aside...yes you would look beautiful with white hair.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:11 pm 
Eiregirl

Re: Jade

quote:
Originally posted by Eire:
Ok, I'm up to date, just finished 3 and 4.

Terrific, Eire!!!!

Mdm Prez

Mdm,

Thank you for that wonderfully sweet response...Chapter 5 is on the way This morning.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:12 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: