BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> General

Fanfiction

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Trialia

Fanfiction?

What's the consensus on fanfiction? Since that's mostly what I write. By definition fanfiction writers don't own what their stories are based on, but can I still post it?

A droplet of the water rolls down her throat, and you swallow, hard, as you watch her.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

Re: Fanfiction?

quote:
Originally posted by Trialia:
What's the consensus on fanfiction? Since that's mostly what I write. By definition fanfiction writers don't own what their stories are based on, but can I still post it?

Trialia,

If I am understanding you correctly and in my opinion your question is a little ambiguous.
“By definition fanfiction writers don’t own what their stories are based on…”?
Well…I own my characters, I own my story lines and I own my stories. If you mean that someone has written a story about mermaids and you want to do that also…then yes you are correct go for it and have fun…they do not own “mermaids”. Now if you mean that you want to take their story and post it without their permission (if it is still under copyright) then you are wrong. If you mean that you want to write a story about mermaids that is greatly similar to their story then I would have to say…you should have written it first because it is going to look like you took there story and made it yours which will most likely be considered...copyright infringement.

If you would not mind. Please be a little more specific with your question to avoid a misunderstanding and so that a clear correct answer can be given.

“What's the consensus on fanfiction?”
I think it is a wonderful genre to write in and I enjoy reading it as well Smile

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
combatbaby

Fanfiction is writing your own plot using characters/scenarios/worlds created by another author - for example, Harry Potter fanfiction. People write HP fanfiction all the time, for some examples, check www.fanfiction.net. Whenever you write fanfiction, you're supposed to state quite clearly at the beginning of your written work that you do not own any characters, etc. to which belong the original author - you give credit to the original author in other words.

I don't have any problems with fanfiction but I don't know what the consensus is for all of Mel's.

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:19 pm 
Eiregirl

Combat,

Thank you very much for that explanation. I have heard of fan fiction but it did not register with me when I read Trialia's post and I was thinking of fantasy fiction.

However my thoughts on fanfiction are...I would not like someone taking my charactors or a world I created etc. and writing their own story without contacting me first for approval. Who could say that what they write may be very close to something I have planned to write. If the original creater or current owner under copyright does not have a problem with others using there creation then there is no problem but unless there is approval I do not agree with it whether credit is given or not. Now if the fan fiction writer gives full rights to what they write using the original authors creation then that perhaps could be acceptable to me.

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ghost

hi all

fanfiction is a genre where it is quite clearly understood that the characters/worlds originated in a published novel. as long as recognition is given, and the sole purpose of the new work is to expand on plots and stuff, using the existing characters (say HP), they are free to post on mels.

i would recommend, Trialia, that you post under fantasy or science fiction (most fanfiction, such as Star Trek - see Mairi bheag's fanfiction work on that - are suitable for that section).

ummm... in the same breath, i would not recommend fanfiction using any of the characters created by the authors here on mels. fanfiction is restricted to using characters/worlds from generally published novels, i.e. freely available in bookstores.

hopes this clarifies our position on it.

regards
ghost

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:25 am 
Kat222

there are sveral sites concerning all kinds of fan fiction. most of these are based on television shows. celebs have a forum for fan fiction. i think it's ok to do so.

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:11 pm 
Kat222

there are sveral sites concerning all kinds of fan fiction. most of these are based on television shows. celebs have a forum for fan fiction. i think it's ok to do so.

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:11 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: