BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Jade (Rough Chapter Three)

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Jade (Rough Chapter Three)

Chapter Three

On their way to the gathering, Jade was bombarded with questions about what it was like on the other side of the mountains. However most of the questions were about Kerrah and the Anid. They wanted to know everything about who and what they would be fighting. How many of them there were and what there tactics were. Jade did the best she could to answer each and every question even though at times she wished to be left alone. On the first day out from Stillwater Lake she was rummaging through her pouch when she came across a flute she had been carving on and stuffed it back her pouch and each night after camp was set up she would find a quiet place to carve on it. Three days out from Stillwater Lake the two clans stopped for the night. After everything was in place Jade went to a nearby spring to sit alone and carve on her flute.
{What is that you have been whittling on?} Renee asked when Jade had started carving.
{It is going to be a flute when I get finished.} Jade replied, and tried to remember when she had started making the flute.
{Are you any good at playing one?}
{I have been told that I’m not to bad.} Jade said.
{When you get it finished I want to hear you play it.}
{If you are still here, I don't think you will have much choice.} Jade replied with slight chuckle and a smile on her face that Renee could not see but knew it was there.
{In that case you had better be good.} Renee said.
"There you are." Wisp said as she walked up behind Jade.
"Hello Wisp." Jade said turning to look at her.
"That will be a nice flute when you are done with it." Wisp said, seeing the flute in Jades hand.
"Thank you, did you want me for something?"
"I did not see you in camp and was a little concerned when nobody knew where you were." Wisp said with a smile.
"I appreciate your concern.” Jade said with a smile of her own.
"I've heard you have hardly had a moment of peace since we left the lake.” Wisp said as she sat down next to Jade.
“I have hardly had a moment alone but that is ok…I am here for a purpose and I can’t afford to fail.” Jade said as she continued to work on the flute.
“It seems that you will not have any trouble raising an army to take back with you.” Wisp said as she leaned back against the tree.
"I think I may have to turn some of them away if all the other clans are as eager to help as yours and Mists.” Jade said as she placed the unfinished flute back in her pouch and the knife back in her belt.
"Why would you do that?" Wisp asked, a little surprised by Jades response.
"Because I do not want to leave your clan or any other clan defenseless especially if we fail.” Jade said seriously.
"That is nothing for you to be concerned about. The clan leaders will not leave their homes unprotected let alone leave our forest undefended.” Wisp said as a matter of fact but Jade still had concerns.
"On some level I know that but I also know what is happening to my home and I don’t want that to happen here as well. I would like to talk to you and Mist together about it and perhaps Aspen as well” Jade told her.
"When you come back to camp stop by my tent and we will all talk about it but I can tell you that we will not be leaving our forest defenseless.” Wisp said as she stood..
“I will see you there.” Jade told her and watched as she walked back toward the camp.
{You are serious aren’t you?} Renee asked.
{Serious about what?} Jade replied.
{About turning away some who are willing to help you.}
{I would love for all of them to go but I don’t want to leave their children and homes defenseless if we lose.} Jade told her.
{I can understand that but I think you had better take all you can and only leave just enough behind to keep the cooking fires burning. From what I see…I think they can all fight even the children.} Renee said.
{They can and will if they have to. We are all taught as children to use a blade and a bow. Some of us go on and make that our way of life by hunting or fighting. Others go on to follow the trades such as wood carving like Raven or metal working like Maple or one of the many other trades. If they need to they can and will fight but that is not there way of life.} Jade told Renee.
{And what if all you needed was a few thousand more but you left them behind.}
{That is a chance I will have to take because even though every one of them right down to the youngest child may be needed…I will not let them leave their forest undefended.} Jade let Renee know in no uncertain terms.
{Very well then but as Wisp said very clearly the leaders here will not allow their lands to go unprotected.} Renee replied and dropped the subject.
{You are probably right but I am still concerned.} Jade said thoughtfully as she sat quietly for a little longer watching the stars then she got up and walked back to the camp because her stomach was telling her it needed to be filled. Aspen saw her walking into camp and asked if she would like to join him for the evening meal.
{I think you should consider finding Nightwind and the other clans from…what was that place?} Renee said reminding Jade of what Willow had called the nomadic clans.
{I have considered it but I don’t know if I can afford the time it would take to find them since everyone says that region of the forest is huge but if we happen across them while looking for the stone I will definitely talk with them.} Jade said.
"How is Willow? I did not see her today.” Aspen asked as they sat by the fire eating.
"I think she is disappointed that you haven't been paying her as much attention as you used to.” Jade said with a smile.
"You really think so?" Aspen asked.
"Yes…I really think so.” Jade said with a slight grin.
"Then your idea is working, right?" Aspen said hopefully.
"Yes I think it is working fine.” Jade replied as she ate.
{Yea right.} Renee sarcastically told Jade.
"I sure hope so.” Aspen said as stood up.
{Trust you! Why would he want to do that?} Renee stated.
{Who asked you?} Jade retorted.
"I trust you, but it is Willow who must decide.” Aspen said.
"She will come around.” Jade told him as they walked to Wisps tent.
"Don't worry Aspen things will work out fine, trust me." Jade told him as she rose to her feet. “I’m going to talk to Mist and Wisp about some concerns I have and would like you to join us.”
When they got there Mist and Wisp were sitting by the fire in front of the tent.
"Wisp tells me that you have a slight problem.” Mist said to Jade as she sat down.
"It's more a problem for you than for me. Aspen has told me that nearly everyone in both clans want to help. If they did then you would be left with no, or to few to defend your forest.” Jade replied.
"You should not worry about that Jade.” Mist said looking toward Jade.
"But that does concern me because I don’t want you to leave the forest unprotected." Jade said.
"Do you think I would leave my clan unprotected? Or that Wisp would leave hers defenseless?” Mist said.
"Mist and I have been discussing this and although most of the scouts will help you there is no way any of the clans would allow the forest to be unprotected.” Wisp stated. “I admit that I was a bit when I saw how many of my clan want to help you but you should know that when we get to the gathering Mist and I along with the other clan leaders will make sure our forest is protected and ready to fight if the Anid cross the mountains.” Wisp said looking directly at Jade.
“This is your forest and I should have thought more before saying anything but I don’t want the same thing to happen here that is happening on the other side of the mountains and we thought our home was well defended.” Jade said, feeling much better about the situation but still a little apprehensive.
“We greatly appreciate your concern but do not let it trouble you. Jade you are here to gain our help…accept what you get” Mist said with a smile.
{Hmmm.} Jade heard Renee’s thought
{You don’t have to say it.} Jade let her know.
{Now since that is settled lets find a dance to join.} Renee said.
{That sounds wonderful.} Jade replied.
“We are going to see if we can find a dance to join.” Jade said and received and odd look from Mist.
“Remember there are two in here.” Jade said tapping her forehead.
“Maybe that is something we should keep to ourselves.” Mist said.
“Who knows about that?” Wisp asked as she placed more wood on the fire.
“Just the three of us and Willow.” Jade said. “I don’t think we told Maple about it.” She added after thinking for a moment.
“I don’t think Maple knows…if he did it would be all over the forest by now.” Aspen said knowingly.
“Lets try to keep it that way for now at least.” Mist said.
“I’ll make sure Willow knows not to spread that around…then we will find that dance.” Jade said as she left.

XXXXXXXXXX

For ten days they had been traveling from sunrise to sunset. Now they crested a small hill and looked down into a huge clearing that had a towering oak tree in its center. The clearing was spotted here and there with other trees as well as numerous tents along the shoreline of a clear blue lake.
"You did not tell me how beautiful it would be here.” Jade told Willow as she surveyed the site below.
"You never asked.” Willow replied with a smile.
"Do you see that big oak tree, over there?" Wisp said as she pointed.
"Yes, how could I not see it?” Jade replied.
"That tree is in the exact center of our forest, and it is why we call this the Heartwood.” Wisp said as Jade looked at the tree, and it was huge probably the largest tree she had ever seen.
"We will be camping over there, next to the lake.” Willow pointed to a spot at the outer edge of the encampment.
"Is that a horn blowing?" Jade asked hearing what sounded like a horn.
"Yes. A lookout in the camp has seen us and is sounding our arrival as they sound the arrival of every clan.” Willow explained as they started down the hill. Jade helped set up the camp, which did not take long since every elf knew what their individual jobs were and had several days of continual practice.

After their camp was ready Jade went for a walk and saw Raven setting her carvings out on a table in front of her tent.
"Jade, I was hoping you would come by. I have your carving finished.” Raven said as Jade walked up to the table.
"You do, that's great!" Jade said with a smile.
"It's in my tent so come on and you can see it.” Raven said as she ducked inside her tent.
"Oh Raven, that is beautiful.” Jade said when she saw the eagle with it's wings spread wide as it rose off the waters surface with a fish secure in it's talons. Jade noticed the eagles eyes sparkle and looked closer and found that Raven had used two of the stones she had given her for the eyes.
"You used the stones I gave you."
"Only two of them.” Raven said with a smile.
"You did a wonderful job Raven. It looks…real and alive.” Jade told her.
"Thank you.” Raven replied.
"I'm tempted to keep it for myself, but I can't.” Jade said with as she admired Ravens work.
"You never did tell me who it was for.” Raven said with a little curiosity in her voice and in the look on her face.
"It's for Aspen to give to Willow.” Jade said then told her what she was trying to do.
"I think it is wonderful. Wisp has been trying to get those two together for as long as I can remember, so good luck.” Raven said with a knowing smile.
"Thanks, could I leave it here and have Aspen come by and get it later?" Jade asked setting the eagle on the table.
"Sure, I'll keep it here in my tent until he comes by.” Raven said as Jade handed the carving back to her.
"Thanks again Raven, it is beautiful."
"If you need anything else just let me know.” Raven replied.
"When I do you will be the first to know.” Jade said as she walked away.
{Now I can put step three into motion.}
{You're still going through with this aren't you?} Renee asked.
{Of course I am, after all it's working you know.} Jade replied.
{So you say.} Renee told Jade and received no reply.

On her way back to her tent Jade saw Aspen talking to Wisp. She decided that this would be a good time to implement the next stage in her plan.
"Aspen can I talk to you for a moment?" Jade asked as she walked up to him.
"Sure, what is it?" Aspen replied.
"What do you think of our gathering so far?” Wisp asked Jade.
“It is wonderful and huge.” Jade said, as she looked at all the tents.
“There are still a few clans that have yet to arrive. When all the clans are here there will not be an empty spot anywhere around the lake.” Wisp said.
“When this is all over I think I will ask all the clans in my forest to do this…we have craft fairs and competitions where most of the clans gather but nothing like this.” Jade said, as she looked at all the Elves walking around.
“Mist has sent word to all the clan leaders that are here and made sure that all those yet to arrive get word that we need to talk to them about something of great importance. He is asking that they meet us at the great oak after the morning meal." Wisp told Jade then said that she was going to find some old friends and excused herself.
Jade watched as Wisp walked away then turned to Aspen asking him how many clans there were in the forest.
“I think there are about 80 but I’m not sure.” Aspen replied.
“There are 79 but that is not including the nomadic clans.” Maple said as he came strolling by.
“How many nomadic clans are there Maple?” Jade asked as Maple stopped next to her.
“That is unknown for sure. Some say ten to fifteen others say as many as twenty or thirty but nobody really knows.” Maple said as he turned to continue on his way then stopped. “I have heard that they have a gathering of their own at Spirit Lake at the same time we have ours here and they are very good fighters.” Then Jade watched in silence as Maple continued on his way.
{Now you know where they will be and that will make it easier to find them.} Renee told Jade.
“Maple.” Jade called out and Maple turned around. “How long would it take to get to Spirit Lake?”
“I’m not sure but I am sure it would take more than twice as long as it took us to get here.” Maple said and continued on his way.
“The entire gathering will know about you before sunset.” Aspen said with a sly smile as he to watched Maple walk away.
“That can have its advantages.” Jade pointed out.
“Finding Nightwind could be a very time consuming effort.” Aspen told her.
“Yes it could but finding the stone is more important and if that takes me close to them I will look for them.” Jade said.
“I could send some scouts out to find them and tell them what is happening.” Aspen said.
{It would be worth the chance don’t you think.} Renee said.
{Yes it would.} Jade replied to Renee.
“We would be long gone before they got half way there and it is doubtful they would believe them anyway…but it is worth the chance.” Jade told Aspen.
“I will send two scouts to Spirit Lake tomorrow and tell them to find Nightwind and tell her what is happening.” Aspen told Jade.
“Thank you Aspen.” Jade said.
“You said you wanted to talk to me about something?” Aspen reminded Jade.
“Yes I did. I had Raven make a carving for you to give Willow. It's ready and you need to pick it up from her and take it to Willow as a gift from you.” Jade told a surprised Aspen.
"You had her do what?" Aspen asked with raised eyebrows.
"Make a carving for you to give Willow. Now stop asking questions and go.” Jade said nudging him to go.
"I sure hope you know what you’re doing.” Aspen said as he headed toward Ravens tent.
"Trust me.” Jade told him as he left.
{Not again.} Renee commented.
{I think this is going to work out fine.} Jade said ignoring Renee's comment.
{You've got to be kidding. She doesn't want him for a husband. I can see it in her eyes…she just is not interested in him as anything but a friend} Renee told Jade.
{Sure she does, she just doesn't know it yet.} Jade retorted.
{I will agree that there could be something someone doesn’t know} Renee mumbled.

XXXXXXXXXX

Jade was about to enter her tent when she heard Willow yell for her to wait. Looking up Jade saw Willow and someone she had not seen before walking toward her
"Jade this is Wind she is from the Mapleleaf clan near Brightwater Lake. She has some information you will find interesting.” Willow told Jade as they stood in front of the tent.
"It's nice to meet you Wind.” Jade said with a polite nod.
"I'm pleased to meet you as well.” Wind said returning Jades greeting.
"Please sit” Jade said as she indicated for them to sit.
"Willow told me about you and why you are hear. She mentioned something about a magic stone that was hidden in our forest by Alarian.” Wind was saying when Willow corrected her.
“May be hidden in our forest.” Willow said correcting Wind.
“I think it is hidden in our forest.” Wind said.
“What do you know of it?” Jade said as she watched the petite elf push her long black hair back from her eyes then heard Willows voice.
"Wind told me that she met an old elf one day while she was fishing, and in talking with him he told her that he was guarding a stone.” Willow said, telling Jade what Wind had told her.
"Did he tell you where the stone was?" Jade asked Wind.
"She said that he only told her that he was guarding one and that she was not to tell any Elf that she had seen him.” Willow answered for Wind.
“He is older than any elf I have ever seen. I'm not even sure it is the stone you are looking for.” Wind told Jade.
"What other stone could it be?" Willow asked.
"I don't know of any other power stones, and the Earth Mother did say that I was to start looking near Brightwater Lake.” Jade said thoughtfully.
{It's at least worth checking out.} Renee told Jade.
{Very much worth it.} Jade replied to Renee.
"Do you think he would take me to the stone.” Jade asked Wind.
"Whether or not he will even talk to you is up to him. As far as I know no Elf has ever seen him but me and that was over fifty years ago.” Wind told her.
{Fifty years ago?} Jade heard the voice in her head say. {She does not look a day over twenty and she is talking about things that happened to her fifty years ago?}
{We are very long lived.} Jade said then told Renee that they could discuss age more later if she wanted.
"Will you take me to see him?" Jade asked Wind.
Wind looked at Jade thoughtfully for a moment before she replied, "I have no idea where he lives and I haven’t seen him in near fifty years like I said and I was not suppose to even tell any Elf about him, but when Willow told me what was happening I thought I should tell you.” Wind paused for a moment then said, "To answer your question, I can take you to the area where I have seen and talked to him, but it is entirely up to him after that."
“What do you think?” Willow said looking at Jade.
“It’s a place to start.” Jade replied.

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ghost

nice going, eire!

lol, i am now sooo curious to know what happens next.

regards
ghost

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:44 am 
Allison

Excellent story Eire. Waiting patiently for more Wink

Alli

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
desert-fish

looks like a full length novel in the making eire...
waiting for chapter four
suspense is killing me!

Very Happy

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:09 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by ghost:
nice going, eire!

lol, i am now sooo curious to know what happens next.

regards
ghost

ghost,

That is a wonderful compliment...I hope it stays interesting and readable Smile

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Allison:
Excellent story Eire. Waiting patiently for more Wink

Alli

Allison,

You...wait patiently?

HAHAHAHA Laughing

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:49 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by pale mirage:
looks like a full length novel in the making eire...
waiting for chapter four
suspense is killing me!

Very Happy

Pale,

Thanks for the reply...it means a lot.

When all is said and done...after I finish it...edit it...add a little more description and imagery it will probably be around 175 to 200 pages long give or take 25 pages (8.5 by 11 typed pages).

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:58 pm 
Allison

I try Eire, but does begging and pouting work for ya? Wink

Alli

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
I try Eire, but does begging and pouting work for ya? Wink

Alli

Sometimes it works for Deb but I don't know if it will work for you or not Wink

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:15 pm 
Allison

LOL ok Wink

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:34 pm 
cupcakes

it is me again! cUppy: suave charmer of elves...
has Jade mentioned me lately? do you think she would go gay for me?

what do you think her fav cookies are?
and do you think she's too old for me? cuz age really isn't an issue. Twisted Evil

DO you think Jade's parents would be opposed to me being a different race?

::sigh::
oh woe is me.

~Yours, cUppErs

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:38 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
LOL ok Wink

Looks at Allison pouty eyes

Hugs Allison...

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:04 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by cupcakes:
it is me again! cUppy: suave charmer of elves...
has Jade mentioned me lately? do you think she would go gay for me?

what do you think her fav cookies are?
and do you think she's too old for me? cuz age really isn't an issue. Twisted Evil

DO you think Jade's parents would be opposed to me being a different race?

::sigh::
oh woe is me.

~Yours, cUppErs

Cuppy,

Jade has mentioned you in her letters to me...ummm but I think she is kinda swinging in the direction of someone else and age is not an issue with her.

No...Jades parents would not be opposed you you being a differnt race.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:08 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: