BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Fantasy Fiction

Jade (Rough Chapter Eight)

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Jade (Rough Chapter Eight)

Jade entered the tent where Willow was slowly recovering and saw Nightwind sitting on the ground wiping Willows brow with a damp cloth.
"How is she?" Jade asked, unable to see that Willow was awake because Nightwind was blocking her view.
"I'm alive, I think," Willow said weakly drawing a smile from Jade.
"I have to go and get some things before we leave," Nightwind said as she started to stand, but before she could Willow reached out and grabbed her arm.
"What?" Nightwind asked.
"Be careful," Willow said with a weak voice.
"I will, and I'll see you when we get back," Nightwind said as she stood.
"When you see Hawk tell him," She paused, "I-I'll tell him when I get back," Nightwind said then started to walk away but stopped when Willow said in a low voice, "I'll tell him you love and miss him." Nightwind turned and quietly said, "Thank you," then she was gone out of the tent. Jade smiled at the exchange between her friends. After Nightwind left she walked and knelt beside Willow.
{That was entirely unlike Nightwind.} Jade told Renee as she walked over to Willow.
"You seem to be feeling much better," She told Willow.
"I feel like I've been trampled by a bear," Willow said with a slight smile.
"Did Nightwind tell you what we are going to do?" Jade asked. Willow nodded and replied, "Wish I could go."
"We know you do, but we've got enough company as it is," Jade said and received a curious look from Willow.
"Who is we? I know your not talking about Nightwind and Dew," Willow asked as her tired eyes looked at Jade. Jade looked back at her and shrugged.
"I guess I mean me and Renee. In a way she seems to have become a part of me," Jade tried to explain.
{Don't flatter yourself.} Renee interjected.
"But she is still separate," Jade added.
"You take care of yourself, both of you," Willow said with droopy eyes.
"We will, and from the both of us. . ." Jade said with a warm smile, ". . . you take care and get well soon," After Willow fell back to sleep, Jade quietly left the tent and joined her companions who were talking with Greenleaf and Sage.
"We are ready when you are," Dew said when she saw Jade emerge from the tent.
"Then we had better be going," Jade replied as she walked toward them.
"You be careful," Sage told them as they turned to go.
"We will, and you stay away from the Anid until you reach the valley," Jade told her.
"I will," Sage replied. Greenleaf walked them to the edge of camp to wish them a safe journey.
"Take care of yourselves, watch your backs," He told them.
"You take care of Willow and the others," Jade said as she moved to stand beside him.
"Don't worry I will keep a close eye on them," Greenleaf told her with a sly grin.
"Thank you," Jade said as she and her companions started on their way, then with a smile she turned back to look at Wind and said, "Try not to follow us this time if you can help it."
“Not unless I have to,” Wind replied with a smile. Greenleaf chuckled as he watched them leave. He stood there with Wind until they were out of sight, then with a serious look he said, "Where you are going, I would not care to follow."

XXXXXXXXXX

That night Jade and her companions camped in the hills. As they sat around the small fire that Nightwind had begrudgingly allowed them to build, Dew explained the route they would take to the desert.
"We will head straight South through the hills. In a few days we should come to the forest again then we will continue South until we reach the desert," Dew told them.
"Always going South?" Jade asked shrewdly.
"Yes, always South, but don't get any ideas about sneaking off without us, because I'm not going to tell you how to get through the desert until we are at least two days into it," Dew said seeing the intent on Jades face.
"How long will it take to get to Kerrahs temple?" Nightwind asked.
"From Shadow Lake it would take about a Moon cycle maybe more," Dew replied.
"It's going to be another long journey," Nightwind mumbled to herself as she stretched out on her bedroll.

XXXXXXXXXX

While Jade and her friends were on their way to the desert, Aspen waited for Nightshade and Lightning to lure the Anid into a trap that would hopefully go off as planned. While waiting for them to arrive, Aspen and Hawk had been drilling their scouts constantly. He wanted no mistakes, because fighting two Anid armies was one to many.

XXXXXXXXXX

As the terrain shifted from forest and hills to one of sand, The days past quickly and the trees turned to small shrubs, then to bushes and finally disappeared altogether.
"We will stop here," Dew said as they approached a stream fed pool of water near the edge of the desert. "We should fill our water skins, and change into these robes I brought," she said as she pulled some light colored robes from her bedroll.
"It would be better than trying to cross the desert in black leather," Nightwind said as she reached into her pack and revealed three robes she had packed.
"It looks like we all came prepared," Jade said as she too held out a bundle of white robes and they all began to laugh. After filling their water skins and cleaning the layers of dust from their bodies, they changed into the robes and waited.
Jade had wanted to continue on immediately, but yielded to Dews advice that the desert would be better traveled at night. Instead of arguing, Jade went back to the pool and after removing her robe slid down into the cool water.
"This feels good," she said when Dew came to refill her water-skin from the stream that fed the pool.
"You had better enjoy it while you can," Dew said as she filled her water-skins from the spring that fed the pool.
As the sun fell below the horizon, Dew led them into the desert. As darkness claimed the hot dry sand they marched on with Dew leading the way. When the sun finally began to show itself fully in the sky they stopped to make camp. After several days had past, Dew told them the route to the Anid lands and Kerrahs temple. She pointed to a bright star in the sky.
"See that star," She asked.
"The bright one in between the two moons?" Jade questioned.
"Yes, if we keep it always in front of us we will find the water holes and it will take us to the Anid lands," Dew told them.
"But what about the temple?" Nightwind asked.
"When the mountains come into sight, ye will see two high peaks. The highest one is called Gods Peak. Go straight to it and ye can't miss it," Dew said and started leading them on once again. The next morning the peaks of the Anid mountains could be seen on the horizon and a few days later most of the mountain range was visible as a gray blur through the waves of heat that rose from the sand.
"How far away are they?" Jade asked.
"Three to five days, or rather nights," Dew said with a slight smile.
"I wonder why we haven't seen any Anid?" Nightwind wondered aloud. "They are desert dwellers aren't they?"
"Yes they are somewhat. Some roam the desert and others the Anid forests but once a year they all gather in the forest to pay homage to their Gods. Besides most of them are in the Green Forest right now," Dew explained as they set camp.
"How large is the Anid Forest?" Jade asked.
"Honestly, I can't say," Dew replied as she laid down to sleep in the shade of the extra robes stretched between tent poles.

XXXXXXXXXX

When Lightning and his army reached the Deep Valley they immediately took up their positions to await the arrival of the Anid. After making sure that all was going as planned Nightshade took Lightning to meet Aspen and Hawk.
"There they are," Nightshade told Lightning as he pointed toward Aspen and Hawk who were reviewing the plans with their scout leaders.
"Aspen, Hawk," Nightshade said as he approached them.
"Greetings Nightshade, I'm glad you were able to make it," Aspen said as he stood to greet them.
"Lightning, this is Aspen and Hawk," Nightshade said as he introduced them.
"I can not tell you how much your help means to us all," Lightning said with deep appreciation.
"It is best to stop Kerrah now, than to let him grow stronger and if we don’t stop him then he would move on the Alarian forest next," Hawk replied with total agreement from all.
"Yes, you are correct, but I wish our meeting was under different circumstances," Lightning said as he shook his head and looked at the army around him.
"I found it hard to believe when Nightshade told me what Jade had brought back with her. You seem to have a good army," Lightning continued as he leaned against a nearby tree.
"The best from our forest are here," Aspen said as he glanced at Hawk.
"Have you had any word from Jade?" Nightshade asked. "We received messengers saying that they had been successful in slowing the Anid army, but they also discovered that following behind the army was a group of about fifty creatures," Aspen said then asked Lightning if he had heard of them before and when he found that Lightning had, he continued. "It seems that the creatures are heading for a place called Eagles Nest in order to come in behind us."
With a worried look on his face, Nightshade asked, "Did they say what Jade planned on doing?"
"At the time Jade was taking the scouts to attack the Anid army one last time, then she was going to Eagles Nest to wait for the creatures. As to the outcome of that, I don't know," Aspen said, seeing the worry on Nightshades face as he felt an ache in his own heart.
"Was there anything else?" Lightning asked.
"Yes, depending on the outcome, Jade will bring the scouts in behind the Anid army as Hawk had planned if at all possible," Aspen replied.
"But I think we should also plan on the possibility that they won't be able to do so," Hawk said once Aspen had finished.
"And on the possibility that we will have some of those creatures coming up behind us," Lightning added.
"Yes," Hawk said calmly.
"How far are the Anid behind you?" Aspen asked.
"They will be here before high sun tomorrow. When do you expect Kerrah's second army?" Lightning asked in return.
"In at least four days, hopefully more," Aspen replied.
"We will have to crush the first Anid army and fast so that we can get set and ready for the second," Nightshade said as he watched some of Hawks scouts go through their daily drills.
"What if the first army stops to wait on the second?" Aspen asked, not having thought of the possibility before.
"If they don't come to us, we go to them," Hawk said without a hint of emotion in his voice.
"They will come," Lightning said with certainty.

XXXXXXXXXX

"You really should not be pushing yourself so hard," Greenleaf told Willow as she slowly got dressed.
"I don't like laying around doing nothing," Willow responded.
"You are not well enough to travel. The poison is not completely out of you yet," Greenleaf pleaded.
"I've been here long enough, and it's not to late to catch up with Jade and if the scouts don't leave for the valley now they won't be able to help," Willow said as she stood.
"Your not going, you need more rest." Greenleaf said.
"More rest! I've been on my back for I don't know how many days and you tell me I need more rest. No thanks I'm going and you can’t stop me," Willow said as she pushed her way past him. Greenleaf watch after her for a moment, then with a deep sigh knowing that he was fighting a losing battle, he followed her. "I see I'm not going to talk you out of this foolishness," He told Willow once he caught up to her.
"What about the others who where poisoned?" Willow asked.
"They are all doing fine. In another day they should be able to handle a march,” Greenleaf replied.
“Good then the scouts and mages that will stay behind to care for them and guard them in case any Anid show up otherwise they can bring them when they are able to travel," Willow said.
“So, what are you going to do?” Greenleaf asked.

XXXXXXXXXX

Hawk stood under the cover of some trees as he watched the Anid army approach Lightning’s force near the mouth of the valley. After the two forces engaged, Aspen brought his scouts into the battle and forced the Anid to retreat into the valley where Hawk and his scouts waited. After two and a half days of heavy fighting the Anid army was essentially wiped-out. All that was left to do was to clean up the few small groups that had escaped to the far end of the valley. Of which Lightning sent a company of scouts to box them in.
"At least we know none made it out of the valley to warn their friends," Hawk told Aspen as he sharpened his sword.
"The mages will see to it that none use magic to tell them either," Aspen replied.
Less than two days later, Hawk received a report from one of his scouts that the Anid were less than half a day from the valley.
XXXXXXXXXX

As the Anid army approached the Elves waited to meet them with freshly honed blades, and quivers full of arrows. Lightning waited with his scouts at the mouth of the valley with Hawk and Aspen sitting well hidden with their scouts on either flank. As the sun began to dip below the horizon the Anid stopped, well out of range of the best bow, and set up camp.
"What are they doing?" Nightshade asked Lightning as they waited for the attack.
"They are going to wait until morning when they will be rested and have a full day to fight," He replied.
"Then why don't we attack them?" A scout who was standing nearby asked.
"Because, while it looks as though Jade did a good job of trimming their numbers, we are still heavily outnumbered. Our plan relies on Aspen and Hawk having some element of surprise," Lightning said then paused to look at the scout before continuing, "If we go out there all surprise is lost, not to mention the number of extra dead we would have."
"But what if they decide to attack tonight?" The same scout asked.
"They won't, but we are going to maintain our positions just in case they do," Lightning replied then with a stern look said, "Now if there are no more questions I will suggest that you get some rest while you can."
After the scout had left, Nightshade turned to Lightning with a smile and said, "He just might make a good scout leader someday. If his curiosity does not get him killed first."
As the Sun began to push its way above the horizon, the Anid attacked. Lightning's slow retreat drew them into the mouth of the valley which was lined on both sides with archers. Once the Anid were fully within the valleys mouth, Aspen and Hawk attacked both rear flanks which effectively cut them off from any retreat. As swords clashed the battle raged through the day and on into the night. As arrows flew and mage-fire lit the sky, battle cries and screams of agony from both Elf and Anid filled the valley. By sunrise the fighting had stopped. With more than half of there army dead the Anid surrendered.
"What do we do with them now?" Aspen asked Lightning as they stood watching the Anid.
"I'm not sure yet, but for now I think we should break them into three groups. The fewer the number the easier they will be to handle if they change their minds," Lightning said as he looked across a valley now littered with bodies.
"I'm going to help look for wounded," Nightshade said as he too looked.
"I'll see to splitting the Anid and posting guards," Hawk said as he turned and walked away.
"I'll come with you," Aspen said as he followed. Hawk and Aspen were walking back to camp after separating the Anid and seeing to the watch placement. When Hawk noticed Sage walking toward them.
"Sage, have you seen Nightwind?" Hawk asked when she was nearer.
"She left with Jade and Dew after we fought the creatures. They did not tell me where they were going, but Greenleaf might know," As Hawk asked a few more questions about what had happened at Eagles Nest, Aspen noticed the nervous glances Sage gave him a few times, but never really looked at him. When Sage was about to walk away Aspen, with an uncomfortable feeling asked her where Willow was.
"She - along with others…she was poisoned-" Sage was able to say before he interrupted her.
"Poisoned! How?" Aspen said with a distraught look. "She was shot with a poisoned arrow or stabbed with a poisoned knife. I am not sure which was poisoned but both Jade and Nightwind tried to heal her then Greenleaf came and made some kind of potion-" Sage said.
"Is she okay?" Aspen asked interrupting her again.
"When we left Greenleaf said that all who were alive to take the potion were doing better," Sage replied.
"She is going to be okay then?" Aspen asked.
"Aspen, I wish I could tell you that she is fine but I can not. I have told you all that I know, except that Greenleaf said that they would be a few days behind us. I'm sorry, but I just don't know any more than that,” Sage said.
"I know - thanks for telling me what you could," Aspen said and let Sage go on her way.
"I think Nightshade should know what Jade is doing," Hawk said as he watched Sage walk away.
"Your right we should tell him. At least now I know Willow is alive, if not well she is at least alive," Aspen said as they looked for Nightshade. Hawk scanned those carrying bodies from the battlefield but did not see Nightshade then he spotted him kneeling over a body that might still be alive.
"There he is," Hawk said as he pointed. "Maybe he found another live one," Aspen replied, but behind Nightshade and unseen by either Hawk or Aspen a body moved.

XXXXXXXXXX

Maylorea opened her eyes to see the back of a blurred figure kneeling a few paces from her. Unsure if the figure was friend or foe she slid her dagger from its sheath, and stayed as quiet as possible. As her vision cleared the blurred figure began to take shape and she was able to tell that the figure was male. When he turned his head giving her a clearer view of his features, one word flashed through her mind "Elf". With that single word Maylorea felt her stomach tighten with fear. She knew that sooner or later she would be discovered, and that when found she would be killed. She thought hard about how she could get away. She was unsure of her injuries, except for an aching head and the throbbing pain in her side. Maylorea thought that if she ran an arrow would catch her and playing dead would not work for long. But a final thought of never seeing her family again sealed her decision. With strength derived mainly from fear and desperation, Maylorea gripped her knife and gritted her teeth against the pain that was to come. As she rose to her feet the Elf turned. Thinking he was going to attack and without hearing the warning shouted by his friends she leapt at him with her knife. As the knife sank into his chest an arrow pierced hers. She felt a pain in her chest as the Elf fell to his side. Looking down at the arrow that stuck out just below her left breast Maylorea slumped to her knees. Feeling weak and dazed she looked at the Elf who stared back with a shocked look on his face. His breathing was ragged. She saw his lips move and heard a barely audible voice ask. "Why?" Maylorea understood the Elf’s question to be 'why did you do this to me' and she did not answer. As her strength left her she fell onto her side with her face only a few inches away from that of the Elf. She heard him ask again. "Why?" And again she did not answer. Not because she did not want to, but because she could think of nothing to say. With her own breathing becoming laborious she simply stared at him. Maylorea saw two figures run up beside the Elf. One of them saw that she was still alive and pulled his knife from its sheath. As he was about to give her a killing blow, he stopped when the Elf she had stabbed said "No!" She knew that it had taken a great deal of effort for him to say that simple word. "Aspen go get a mage," She heard one of them say, and watched as the one who was going to kill her hurried away. "Don't worry Nightshade you will be fine," The other Elf said. But by the sound of his voice she did not think he believed it. Looking back at the one called Nightshade, Maylorea noticed a different expression on his face than the one before. It appeared to be one of sadness. Between gasps of air she asked, "Why - are - you - sad?" After asking she thought the question stupid and herself also for even talking to an Elf, until she heard the answer. Nightshade watched her for a moment then as tears fell from his eyes he answered laboriously. "I will - likely - die with - without seeing my - family or - my lady again," With that answer, Maylorea understood more of Elves than she ever thought possible, or even wanted to. With that understanding she knew that Elves and Anid were not so different. Maylorea heard more than saw the Elf called Aspen return with a mage. As the mage began to work his magic she heard Nightshade say something about her to the black clad Elf, but his words were lost to her as she slipped into unconsciousness.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
trusting fool

Eire, this is great really i was so happy to see this posted thank you and i shall patiently await more Wink

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:41 am 
Allison

Brilliantly written my friend. Keep writing and post when you can!!

Alli

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
mobomo12

Can't wait for the next chapter. Hope it comes soon.

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:52 am 
mayday31

more please?

Will there be more?

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:44 am 
mobomo12

I hope theirs more.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:08 am 
Eiregirl

Hello everyone,

Yes there will be more...hopefully by the 14th or 15th of this month if I can find the time to write it.

Hugs and thank you all for your interest

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: