poetry, poems, poem, lesbian, lesbian poetry, lesbian poems, lesbian poem, poetry critique, poetry critic, poem critique, 
poem critic, lesbian poetry critique, lesbian poetry critic, poem submissions, poetry submissions, poetry submission, 
lesbian poetry submission, lesbian poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, submit poems, submit lesbian poems, submit lesbian poem, submit lesbian poetry poetry, poems, poem, lesbian, lesbian poetry, lesbian poems, lesbian poem, poetry critique, poetry critic, poem critique, 
poem critic, lesbian poetry critique, lesbian poetry critic, poem submissions, poetry submissions, poetry submission, 
lesbian poetry submission, lesbian poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, submit poems, submit lesbian poems, submit lesbian poem, submit lesbian poetry poetry, poems, poem, lesbian, lesbian poetry, lesbian poems, lesbian poem, poetry critique, poetry critic, poem critique, 
lesbian poetry submission, lesbian poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, submit poems, submit lesbian poems, submit lesbian poem, submit lesbian poetry
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Request feedback

A certain kind of violence

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
desert-fish

A certain kind of violence

A certain kind of violence in the home
leaves victims with no bruises or black eyes
It will not make you bleed or break your bones
It's subtlety escapes all but the wise

It treats you like you have no right to feel
It treats you like you should be made of stone
It wields no stick and yet it makes you reel
It has no blade yet cuts down to the bone

With just a word they break your even stride
Ridicule you and leave you feeling small
They'll rob you of your dignity and pride
And laughing then they'll watch you take the fall

This kind of violence also aims to kill
to make the independent spirit still

©2006 Robynne

Last edited by desert-fish on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:02 pm 
Eiregirl

Pale,

Crying or Very sad

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sunny

(((((((Pale))))))),
It's so wonderful to see you writing sonnets! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy You obviously took the feedback you received from Eire and Mairi in the Form and Technique forum and made a few adjustments to your style. You're a quick study! This is a beautiful, though sad, piece. The message is so true! I wish more people understood the point you make here.

From a technical perspective, I think perhaps you are pronouncing "violence" as I do, with 2 syllables, when I believe you'll find it has 3, thus adding an 11th syllable to the lines in which you use it (it works for me though Wink ). I noticed a couple bumps in the meter, but despite both of these issues, I still absolutely loved this write and hope that you'll continue to work with this form. I'm delighted to see you writing sonnnets and look forward to many more Pale Sonnets Arrow .

BTW, there's a thread that evolved a few months ago as I was attempting to grasp iambic pentameter. It was incredibly helpful. (http://www.melswebs.com/poetryboards/viewtopic.php?t=8262&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) . Sonnets don't flow from my mind as easily as I'd like, and I still struggle with the meter, but I love writing them, thanks to several wonderful women here. This is definitely the right place to come if you want to learn how to write sonnets Exclamation

Keep those sonnets coming Arrow Sending you many hugs Exclamation

Sunny Cool
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
desert-fish

quote:
Originally posted by Eiregirl:
Pale,

Crying or Very sad

Eiregirl Arrow

I hope this is a comment on the content not the poem's form! lol...don't worry it's not based on a current experience...I don't know where it came from actually...it was just in my head.

smiles at eire i'm ok really... Very Happy

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:19 pm 
desert-fish

quote:
Originally posted by seansun:
(((((((Pale))))))),
It's so wonderful to see you writing sonnets! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy You obviously took the feedback you received from Eire and Mairi in the Form and Technique forum and made a few adjustments to your style. You're a quick study! This is a beautiful, though sad, piece. The message is so true! I wish more people understood the point you make here.

From a technical perspective, I think perhaps you are pronouncing "violence" as I do, with 2 syllables, when I believe you'll find it has 3, thus adding an 11th syllable to the lines in which you use it (it works for me though Wink ). I noticed a couple bumps in the meter, but despite both of these issues, I still absolutely loved this write and hope that you'll continue to work with this form. I'm delighted to see you writing sonnnets and look forward to many more Pale Sonnets Arrow .

BTW, there's a thread that evolved a few months ago as I was attempting to grasp iambic pentameter. It was incredibly helpful. (http://www.melswebs.com/poetryboards/viewtopic.php?t=8262&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) . Sonnets don't flow from my mind as easily as I'd like, and I still struggle with the meter, but I love writing them, thanks to several wonderful women here. This is definitely the right place to come if you want to learn how to write sonnets Exclamation

Keep those sonnets coming Arrow Sending you many hugs Exclamation

Sunny Cool

thanx for the encouragement...had a look at the thread...apart from being instructive, it's hilarious...all that jello Laughing

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:35 pm 
Sunny

Sunny tosses Pale into the Jello pit and then sprays her with whipped cream Laughing
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:11 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Sunny tosses Pale into the Jello pit and then sprays her with whipped cream Laughing

Looks at sunny...have we initiated her in the NCC yet...I know we twisted her arm and forced her to join...but she still needs initiated.

smears jello in pales hair

Eiregirl Laughing Arrow

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:05 am 
desert-fish

quote:

fleetingly has a truly wicked thought concerning seansun and whipped cream...and then drowns in the jello pit

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:28 pm 
Sunny

quote:
Originally posted by pale mirage:
quote:

fleetingly has a truly wicked thought concerning seansun and whipped cream...and then drowns in the jello pit

You definitely have a devilish side to you, huh? Now you've done it, I'll have to jump in and revive you with CPR Twisted Evil
Sunny Cool

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:58 am 
desert-fish

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pale mirage:
quote:

You definitely have a devilish side to you, huh? Now you've done it, I'll have to jump in and revive you with CPR Twisted Evil
Sunny Cool

is definately dead...but winks at sunny anyway Wink

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: