lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetic Form and Technique

All is still (#40 Englyn Unodl Crwca - Welsh)

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

All is still (#40 Englyn Unodl Crwca - Welsh)

What is an Englyn Unodl Crwca…
An Englyn Unodl Crwca (englin eenoddle crewcah) is a Welsh poetic form that consists of a quatrain with syllable counts of seven, seven, ten, and six and having rhyme and cross-rhyme (secondary rhyme). It can also be written using multiple quatrains (I did not come across any poem using more than four quatrains for a poem and the vast majority were single quatrain poems).

Structure…

Line 1 has seven syllables with an end rhyme.
Line 2 has seven syllables with an end rhyme.
Line 3 has ten syllables with an end rhyme and a cross rhyme to lines 1, 2 and 4.
Line 4 has six syllables with an end rhyme and a cross rhyme to line 3.

Diagram
xxxxxxa
xxxxxxa
xxxxxxaxxb
xbxxxa

Note on multiple quatrains…
When using multiple quatrains you can either use the same end and cross rhyme scheme or start with new rhymes.

Note on the cross rhymes…
Cross rhymes can shift a few positions
Cross rhyme “a” in line 3 can shift from the seventh syllable to the ninth syllable (positions 7, 8 and 9)
Cross rhyme “b” in line 4 can shift from the second syllable to the fourth syllable (positions 2, 3 and 4)

Interesting note… If you reverse the couplets of the quatrain for a syllable count of ten, six, seven, seven. You will have a Englyn Unodl Union.

Note…
Some Englyn poetic forms have consonance, assonance and alliteration. One of my books mentioned using consonance, assonance and alliteration for this form but gave no information on where to use them within the poem. Two other books and several websites made no mention of using consonance, assonance or alliteration in this particular Englyn form…others yes but not this one. So I will go with the majority rules and say they are not required but if you wish to use them you may do so. I will place them in the terms section for your convenience if you wish to use them.

Terms…
Consonance – is a stylistic device. It is the repetition of consonant sounds in a short sequence of words, for example, the "T" sound in the words bait and cat. It is most often used within a line.
Alliteration – differs from consonance in that alliteration requires the repeated consonant sound to be at the beginning of the words. For example the “S” sound in the words sail the storm.
Assonance – the effect created when words with the same vowel sound are used in close proximity - but where the consonants in these words are different.
Cross rhyme – a word at the end of a line rhymes with a word within the next or previous line.

History…
The englyn is one of three classes of Welsh poetry, along with the cywydd and the awdl. Each of these three forms have eight variations, which were first codified in the fourteenth century by Einion Offeiriad, and subsequently modified by Dafydd Ddu Athro or Dafydd ab Edmwnd (depending on the source used) around 1450.

If you are interested in learning more about Welsh poetry then get the following books or visit your local library…these are good starters.
Joseph P. Clancy's, "The Earliest Welsh Poetry"
Rachel Bromwich, "Dafydd ap Gwylym: A Selection of Poems"

For more on Welsh literature…
Dafydd Johnston, The literature of Wales

Now my poem…

All is still

stroll along this rolling hill
the breeze gives, just a slight chill
lay back, look up with a thrill at the skies
close your eyes, all is still

the stillness is in the air
night falls across skin so fair
the moon rests in a lair of stars above
here, my love I declare

Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sunny

Eire,
I continue to be amazed by your abilty to say so much, create such beautiful images, conform to stylistic parameters and do so even with so few words. Bravo! Appluding loudly Very Happy

Sunny Cool
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by seansun:
Eire,
I continue to be amazed by your abilty to say so much, create such beautiful images, conform to stylistic parameters and do so even with so few words. Bravo! Appluding loudly Very Happy

Sunny Cool

Sunny,

I thank you very very much for your wonderful comment.
For me it is a pleasure and a release to write.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:04 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: