lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetic Form and Technique

Out of reach (#39 Ghazal)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Out of reach (#39 Ghazal)

The Ghazal…
In poetry (and as the lyrics in songs), the ghazal is an Urdu poetic form. (The word "ghazal" is of Arabic origins, and is pronounced roughly like the English word "guzzle" but not exactly). This form of poetry traditionally deals with unattainable love as its theme.

Structure…
There are rules to Urdu poetry that are basically the same as rules I have gone over before so to lessen any confusion in terms and rules I will NOT delve into the rules of Urdu poetry but simply explain the structure as I would with any other form.

A Ghazal consists of couplets which share a rhyme and a refrain. The traditional complete ghazal has five couplets but can have more where both lines of the first couplet end with the same word or phrase (refrain) and have a rhyme preceding the refrain. In the remaining four couplets the last line in each end with the same word or words (refrain) as the first couplet and have a rhyme that precedes the refrain. In the last couplet (generally in the first line of the last couplet) the writers name or pen name is used.

There is no set length or meter…however once the first line of the poem is determined by the writer all other lines must be of the same length as the first. (by length I mean syllabic length)

Each couplet must be a complete sentence in and of itself.
(It has become accepted that the first couplet can be two separate sentences)

The first couplet rhymes and refrains both lines.

The second line of each couplet must end with the same word or words (generally no more than three words) as the first couplet (this is the refrain) with a rhyme preceding the refrain.

The diagram is.
(the letter xxx… represents other syllables (remember there is no set syllable length), the letter a represents rhymes, the letter R represents a refrain)

xxx…aR
xxx…aR

xxx…xx
xxx…aR

xxx…xx
xxx…aR

xxx…xx
xxx…aR

xxx…xx
xxx…aR

Terms…
Couplet – a couplet is two successive lines of poetic verse usually (but not always) of equal length and rhythmic correspondence with end words that rhyme. The couplet, for practical purposes, is the shortest stanza form.
Refrain – a refrain is a stanza, a line, a part of a line, or phrase that is generally pertinent to the central topic, which is repeated word for word usually at regular intervals throughout a poem. Most often the refrain is repeated at the end of a stanza.

As always…if you have any questions or comments then please ask by either a reply or PM and it will be answered. I am not immune to making mistakes so if you notice any incorrect information please by all means let me know so it can be corrected.

History…
The Ghazal is derived from an ancient pre-Islamic Arabian verse form which led to the Persian qasida of which the Ghazal directly originated from around 900 to 1000 AD. The ghazal spread into India in the 12th century under the influence of the new Islamic Sultanate courts and Sufi mystics. Although the ghazal is most prominently a form of Urdu poetry but it has influenced the poetry of many languages. Ghazals were written by the Persian mystics and poets such as Jalal al-Din Muhammad Rumi in the 1200’s and the Turkish poet Fuzuli in the 1500’s and many others…but it was through Johann Wolfgang von Goethe that the ghazal became very popular in Germany in the 1800’s. Then in the early 1990’s by the efforts of American poets John Hollander, W. S. Merwin and Elise Paschen, as well as by acclaimed Kashmiri-American poet Agha Shahid Ali who was a proponent of the form, both in English and in other languages; he edited a volume of "real ghazals in English". It was by their efforts that this form became a viable form in English language poetry.

Now my poem…
Out of reach

As we stroll along the sandy beach every day,
In my mind, in my heart you impeach every day.

With arms entwined the waters lap at our bare feet,
as we watch the sun reach the water every day.

You look deep into my eyes as the sun does set,
and tell me your heart in loving speech every day.

This is my dream but you, you are not mine to have,
since in another’s arms you beseech every day.

To you I am but the radiance of the sun,
whose light armor you lovingly breach every day.

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sunny

Eire,
I find myself drawn to this style, perhaps because I find myself stuck in a rhythm and rhyme rut at the moment. Confused So I decided to take a stab at it. It was inspiring to shake things up and try something new. Very Happy

I do have a question though. Must the rhyme immediately precede the refrain? And what gives with the darned asterisk that refuses to be edited out? As always, I welcome any and all critique.

Thank you so much for the continued education and inspiration as well as another beautiful write Arrow
Have a wonderful day Exclamation

Sunny Cool

RAGING SEA

You threw our love away, without care just tossed, in a raging sea,
And what could have been so perfect, hopelessly lost, to raging sea.

I fought so hard to rescue it, but in my efforts nearly drown,
Gasping for air as I struggled to exhaust, in cold raging sea.

But my attempts were in vane, for our love could not be recovered,
Carried away, rough waters to be crossed, adrift in raging sea.

My heart and spirit battered and burnt beyond all recognition,
And our love crashed on the rocks, all is the cost, of your raging sea.

I now seek solace in far lands with calm waters, warm and sunny,
Praying someday my heart might defrost, despite haunting raging sea.
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by seansun:
Eire,
I do have a question though. Must the rhyme immediately precede the refrain? And what gives with the darned asterisk that refuses to be edited out? As always, I welcome any and all critique.

Sunny I thank you very much for your greatly appreciated reply.

No the rhyme does not need to immediately precede the refrain.

As to the question about the asterisk...ummm I don't see it...do you mean in my post or yours or where?

I have noticed a * whenever anyone used the word hold...but I think that has been taken care of.

Your poem was pretty good...you may want to read your poem again though.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:11 pm 
Sunny

Eire,
OK, I've revisited this challenge while no longer under the influence of a pot of cofee Shocked I wanted to write this one in 3rd person, but it got too confusing trying to figure out which "she" was doing what... Confused
I've struggled with a shortage of words that rhyme with "tossed" Evil or Very Mad and fitting "sunny" into the last couplet. I then eliminated an overabundance of syllables and this is where I ended up...

RAGING SEAS

You threw our love away, tossed it into raging seas,
And so rough waters we crossed, adrift in raging seas.

I attempted to rescue us, but then nearly drowned,
While my faith I did exhaust resisting raging seas.

Hope was sucked under and our relationship shattered,
As love crashed on the rocks, the cost of cruel raging seas.

Only wreckage remains of what had been a great love,
No chance of salvage, too much lost to cold raging seas.

So I’ve set my sails for calm waters, warm and sunny,
In hopes that my heart will defrost from your raging seas.

Sunny Cool
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Last edited by Sunny on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:51 pm 
Sunny

Oh, and the asterisk. It seems to have disappeared in it's own Rolling Eyes Confused It was there, really... It was not a caffeine-induced hallucination, I'm certain.

Sunny Cool

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:56 pm 
Eiregirl

Sunny,

I think that is a wonderful write Smile well done.

by the way...I have seen the * myself...I wonder if it is a ghost floating around...hmmm

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:27 am 
Sunny

Why thank you, Eire Smile I enjoyed writing this one a lot, though I found it a bit too repetitive to truly embrace. It was refreshing experimenting with a style I'm not accustomed to though.

Yes, the asterisk is a mysterious little character. Perhaps a ghost making her presence known - hopefully chenneling some creative inspiration... Wink

Have a great day!

Sunny Cool

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:37 pm 
Eiregirl

Sunny...

Perhaps you might try...

Heroic couplets
Villonet

And if you want a good challenging write...though it is a bit repetitive...
Paradelle

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:42 am 
Mairi bheag

Eire, I am actually going to bookmark this. I have a half-written ghazal from about three months ago, and your notes are very succinct. *hugs*. The poem is great, and sunny's attempts are good too.

Mb
xx

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:54 am 
Sunny

Mairi,
Interesting you should post this note today. I just finished writing a ghazal that I thought I'd post (with so much thanks to Eire for her inspiration). I look forward to reading your completed ghazal, Mairi.
So hee's my latest ghazal:

LIGHTHOUSE OF ALEXANDRIA

Oh Pharos, how I dream you shine your light again
And guide lost sailors safely through the night again.

If you had been restored when quakes so shook your walls
Could many ships you save from deadly plight again?

White marble rising tall, your mirror rests atop
In sleep I see your panoramic sight again.

Reflection from your turret shining o’er the sea
So stately, with your fire burning bright again.

Your splendor in plain view for miles from afar
Could many strong ones raise you to such height again?

Were you rebuilt, your awe and splendor back intact
Would many loving ones you reunite again?

No lighthouse shall compare to you in your great days
No, Alexandria shan’t glow so bright again.

Sunny Cool

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:18 pm 
Mairi bheag

Not how I learned to construct them, but it's a ghazal all right! And a good one.

Mb
xx

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:31 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Mairi bheag:
Eire, I am actually going to bookmark this. I have a half-written ghazal from about three months ago, and your notes are very succinct. *hugs*. The poem is great, and sunny's attempts are good too.

Mb
xx

Embarassed Very Happy Awww Mairi that is a wonderful compliment Very Happy

Hugs you tight,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:13 pm 
Eiregirl

Sunny,

That is a wonderful poem and I love it. Very Happy Very Happy

I see you took the easy way out with a one word refrain Laughing Laughing

Now for a little critical evaluation...

I see only one problem...the length (syllabic length) of your lines are not all the same.

It is true that there is no set length to the lines of a Ghazal...that is to say that every Ghazal does not have to be the same in the lengths of there lines.

However, once you have set the first lines length then all lines that follow must be the same in length.

Other than that Sunny...it is a Ghazal and a lovely one at that.

Hugs you tight,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:45 pm 
Sunny

Eire,
Thank you so much, and yes, I took the easy way out Wink . I'm confused by your note about length though. I thought of you as I wrote this one. Perhaps I'm mispronouncing something (the southern twang might be kicking in), but as I count the syllables, there are twelve per line. Which lines are you referring to Confused ?

Sending many hugs Exclamation

Sunny Cool

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:36 pm 
Eiregirl

Hello sunny,

Hugs you tight.

It is these two lines only...

So stately, with your fire burning bright again.

Your splendor in plain view for miles from afar

Both have 11 syllables...most likely the miscount came with the words stately and splendor.

Otherwise sunny...like I said...wonderfully done...excellent job.

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:10 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: