BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> General board

Personal vs. Universal Poetry

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eilidh
Moderators

Personal vs. Universal Poetry

Much of the poetry I write is based on personal experience, which is fine for some genres, but I would like to expand my poetic capabilities, so to speak, to include more profound poetry. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about doing this? I have been working through Eiregirl's form and technique exercises--thank you, Eiregirl!--and while these have improved my knowledge of the various poetry formats, I still lack the ideas and expression.

I know by reading the poetry posts on this forum that we have some mighty talented poets among us; I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic.

Thank you,
Eilidh

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:15 pm 
Eiregirl

Eilidh,

Much of what I write is also based on personal experience. I believe most poems that people write are based on personal experience or our personal opinion about a particular subject. I am currently working on several posts that I will be adding to the Forms section in the next few days that I hope will help in the area of expression but as far as idea’s…

Idea's come from everywhere...a thunderstorm...

Thunder boomed and rolled,
lightning flashed and told,
the story of fire from the sky.
Did it come from gods on high!

From watching children at play...kind acts from a stranger...memories of the past...hopes of the future...the world around us...idea's come from everywhere it is all a matter of “expressing” the idea with the words used. That of course is just my own opinion. Hopefully other people will have something else to add…hopefully something I can use Smile in the forms section.

When I get the post ready I will put it in the forms section and hopefully it will be of use to you and others.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Last edited by Eiregirl on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sunny

Eilidh,
I had a similar discussion with a dear friend of mine who writes some amazing music and teaches song writing. She suggested carrying a notebook with me throughout the day so that as something or someone caught my attention I could write it down. Same goes for discussions and words/phrases that seemed to stick. Try reading the paper and write about an article that caught your attention or perhaps a news broadcast. She loves talk radio - doesn't always agree with it but it gives her good material to express her own feelings on an issue. Hell, a gum wrapper blowing down the street can give you material to work with. Sometimes though, your personal stuff will predominate your thoughts and feelings and then it's good to just put it to paper. The best advice she gave me was to just keep writing and try not to be self-critical. Celebrate whatever words flow from your head and heart to the paper/keyboard and enjoy Exclamation

Sunny Cool
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eilidh
Moderators

Eiregirl,

quote:
Originally posted by Eiregirl:
I believe most poems that people write are based on personal experience or our personal opinion about a particular subject.

You make an important distinction here, that of experience vs. opinion. I agree with you that it's nearly impossible to write poetry without incorporating some degree of opinion. It's not the level of opinion I'm trying to decrease, but rather the direct correspondence to personal experience. To put that in a more positive light, I'm trying to broaden my range of ideas, thereby broadening my audience.

quote:
Originally posted by Eiregirl:
idea's come from everywhere it is all a matter of “expressing” the idea with the words used.

I agree; that's the key to writing any genre. It just seems so difficult sometimes to find the right expression.

Thank you for your insights, Eiregirl. I look forward to your next set of posts in the forms section.

~Eilidh

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:04 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

seansun,

Thank you for giving me some ideas. Your friend sounds like an amazing woman. I've heard the idea of carrying around a notebook before; I've just never followed through with it because I tend to rely on my memory. I'll have to finally try that. I like the idea about basing a poem on a newspaper article or radio broadcast. That would probably produce more of a globally-oriented piece of writing.

quote:
Originally posted by seansun:
The best advice she gave me was to just keep writing and try not to be self-critical.

That's a lot easier said than done, but is a good piece of advice. Wink

Thanks,
Eilidh

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:10 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: