lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetic Form and Technique

Not long enough (#19 Monody)

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Not long enough (#19 Monody)

What is a monody?
One definition of a monody describes it as a poem that gives a passionate expression of grief over someone’s death. This is similar to an elegy or a dirge, which also lament the death of someone. (this is the form my poem will take)

Another definition of a monody is that of a song which describes it as a solo vocal composition. This is one of the forms Sappho is famous for even though in her time it was not called a monody.

Structure…
There is no set structure to a monody though many do have rhyming verse it is not a requirement.
Often monody’s are written in a way that they can be sung but that too is not a requirement.

History…
There is no clear starting point in history for this form of poetry…at least not that I can find but I have found that monody was a type of lyric poetry that was used in ancient Greece and was generally written to be sung even though it was not until about the seventeenth century that this form was actually called a monody. In the late sixteenth century there was an attempt to restore ancient Greek idea’s of melody and declamation. As the “mon” implies it was for one person without a chorus. The earliest references to monody that I came across were references to a style that Sappho is suspected to have used which would have been somewhere between 630 to 570 B.C. give or take 10 or 20 years. So one could say that a very old form of poetry has a rather new name.

If you have interest in this form try reading William Wordsworth's "She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways."

Now my poem:

Not long enough

The flowers mark the spot of your long endless sleep
Your time upon this earth though short it may have been
Was long enough for you to become my friend
Long enough for you to touch my cold heart
With immense love in your eyes you held out your hand
Taking my hand into yours you lifted me up
The smile on your face let me know you were a friend
At the time you seemed old to such a young child
Today I realize thirty years you would never see
But for the short time I knew you…much you did teach
You taught this weary child to smile once again
You taught this little one to cherish each day
It was not till many years had passed
That I knew what I had learned from you
Now I see the world as I hope you would too
To me you were never here long enough

Edit #1, #2 (added more historical information)

Last edited by Eiregirl on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:28 am; edited 2 times in total

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
animaanna

Sad and sweet - hope I dont have to use this form anytime soon. Much love to you

Jilli

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:34 pm 
Eiregirl

anima,

I hope you never have to either.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Violets-On-The-Sea

Eiregirl, thank you for that. It is very interesting. I like the poem too. I am going to put it on my yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/19thC_AngelicSufferersandMartyrs/

best

Violets

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:41 pm 
Eiregirl

Violet,

Thank you for the reply Smile and I do not mind you putting it on your yahoo group I think that is an honor.

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:08 pm 
Violets-On-The-Sea

Oh my gosh, I thought the poem was by Wordsworth!!!!!! (needless to say I haven't read much of his stuff - I didn't like it), - otherwise, I would definately have asked your permission. Please accept my apologies for this lapse of politeness. It really was a complete mistake. But on the plus side I am happy you were happy about it, and I will add a link to this page to attribute that so beautiful poem to you. Thanks for being kind.

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:35 pm 
irisheyes

Eiregirl
A beautifully emotional poem.
Sad but with a gratefulness also for knowing your friend and learning what you did from her in such a short time.Things that have stayed with you since.
Thanks for sharing Eiregirl and thanks again for taking the time to enlighten us all with the different forms of poetry there is.
Hugs
Irisheyes
XXX

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:00 pm 
Eiregirl

Irisheyes,

She was a teacher I had in primary school who died of cancer. She was always smiling and always happy. Thinking back I can see how she loved teaching and loved children. The look on her face when she saw the look on yours when grasp ahold of something you had been struggling to learn. Along with my family she helped instill in me a love of learning. She also taught me that there is much to love about the world even if the world does not love back. She is also partly responsible for me not doing something very stupid when it would have been so easy to do.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:36 pm 
irisheyes

Eiregirl
I had a teacher like that too in secondary school. I think to her teaching was more than a job. Looking back on it teaching was probably a love to her. I remember people that were in my class that school held no interest but when they were in her class they were different people and she took the time to reach them. Those teachers are sadly few and far between now I think.
Hugs
Irisheyes Smile

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:24 am 
Eiregirl

Irish...those kind of teachers are wonderful aren't they Smile

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:30 pm 
Eiregirl

Edited the history section and added a little more historical information.

Post Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:49 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: