lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetic Form and Technique

Epigrams (#16 Epigram-Types of poetry series)

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Epigrams (#16 Epigram-Types of poetry series)

What is an Epigram?
Epigrams are generally short two line satirical poems that end with either a humorous retort or a stinging punch line. Webster defines it as "A short poem treating concisely, pointedly, often satirically, a single thought or event, usually ending with a witticism." Many epigrams are written in the form of a couplet using rhymed lines of the same metrical length. This however is commonly left up to the writer and the writer usually tosses the meter to the side.

Structure…
In today’s use it is basically as Webster defined above.
Historically it was written using the elegiac couplet form (one line of dactylic hexameter and one line of dactylic pentameter) this is the structure we will discuss.
A dactyl is a metrical foot of three syllables. One long syllable followed by two short syllables.
A hexameter is six metrical feet.
A pentameter is five metrical feet.
Now knowing what dactyl is, what hexameter and pentameter are we know that a dactyl hexameter will contain eighteen syllables and a dactyl pentameter will contain fifteen syllables.

History…
In Greek the word epigram means “to write on” and originated as a form for inscription on a monument or grave. Today epigrams are basically satirical poems and the rhyme and meter are left up to the writter but historically epigrams were written using dactylic hexameter and/or dactylic pentameter. Epigrams were not defined by their subject matter. The largest surviving collection of epigrams is the Greek Anthology, which contains moral or philosophical advice, poems on love, inscriptions dedicating gifts to the gods. They were not required to be satirical or witty. Romans, following in the footsteps of the Greeks also wrote epigrams but more often than not they were satirical and at times used obscene language and some consider the Roman Epigrams as the first works of graffiti.

Ancient Greek and Roman Epigram writers include Plato, Solon, Aeschylus, Domitius Marsus, Lucan and Catullus

More recent Epigram writers include John Dunne, Robert Frost, John Dryden and William Blake.

Now my poem…or in this case poems. hehe

Osama

Osama Bin Laden
On his face camels have trodden

Angel and Devil

Angels have wings that beat together
A devils tail can tickle a feather

Bra hook

Once I went fishing in a brook
I snagged my bra with a hook

I saw these two bumper stickers and thought I would include them

The only bush I trust
Is the one in which my fingers thrust

John Kerry
Went down with the ferry

Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
irisheyes

Eiregirl
Thanks for letting me know about these,
I wont have the time to read them all today but wow and well thanks lol
I might need some help with the pronunciation of some of the words lol.
Thanks again for this
Hugs
Irisheyes

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:28 am 
Eiregirl

irisheyes,

Hugging you tight...wishing you and your family well.

Thank you so very much for leaving a reply Smile

Hugs,
Evee

Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
animaanna

*poking Eire* Is this in English?
elegiac couplet form (one line of dactylic hexameter and one line of dactylic pentameter)

Lol - cute. I like it!

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:54 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by animaanna:
*poking Eire* Is this in English?
elegiac couplet form (one line of dactylic hexameter and one line of dactylic pentameter)

Lol - cute. I like it!

Ummm yes it is English and umm Greek also Smile

Thank you anima for the reply

Hugs,
Evee Arrow

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:53 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: