lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetic Form and Technique

Lets make believe (#1 Terzanelle)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Lets make believe (#1 Terzanelle)

Over a period of time I am going to be posting poems written in various forms. There will be a description of that particular form of poetry and perhaps a little on the history of that form.

I will be the first to admit that I DO NOT know all there is to know about every form of poetry there is so if there is something I say about a form of poetry that is incorrect or if there is something you wish to add about the style being discussed then please let me and in fact everyone who reads this know. It will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

What is a Terzanelle…
A Terzanelle can be described as a modified Villanelle and uses the interlocked rhyme pattern of the Terza Rima form of poetry but fits the Villanelle form of five triplets (tercets) and a quatrain. (Villanelle and Terza Rima will be discussed at a later date).

Structure…
As I said a Terzanelle is made up of the Terza Rima form and the Villanelle form in addition the middle line of the first stanza is used to rhyme the first and third lines of the second stanza. Starting at the second stanza and continuing on until the quatrain the middle line becomes the last line of the following stanza. The last three lines of the quatrain take two lines from the first stanza and one from the last stanza such that the Terzanelle can be somewhat difficult to write (at times) but at the same time it can be a pleasing effort and fun to write. It is acceptable to write a Terzanelle with a minimum of 2 triplets and a quatrain or a many triplets as you want and end with a quatrain but it is commonly felt that since the first Terzanelle contained 19 lines (5 triplets and a quatrain) that it should be the standard and it is the most common structure for a Terzanelle. Just know that the minimum is 10 lines (2 triplets and a quatrain). Another thing to understand about a Terzanelle is the metrical length. While the metrical length is not set FOR a Terzanelle poem it is set BY the poem itself but it is NOT set in stone. It is common that whatever you start off with in regards to metrical length you want to carry that throughout the poem. Personally if I were you and writing a Terzanelle poem I would try to carry the metrical length throughout but defiantly stay within one or two syllables just to maintain a good form but in my opinion flow is more important than form because a poem can have all the form in the world but if it does not flow it will not appeal much to anyone. It will look good but the sound will not be there. Of course the ideal poem has both form and flow…Ok enough of that…as far as stressed and unstressed syllables…who cares as long as it looks and sounds good.

Terms…
Triplet (tercet) – A group of three lines of verse which are rhymed together or have a rhyme scheme that interlaces with an adjoining tercet.
Quatrain – It is one of the most common stanza forms. It is four lines of verse that usually (but not always) has the rhyme scheme of abab
Metrical length (metre or meter) – Is how a single line of poetry is measured in length by “feet”
Stanza – A grouping of the lines of a poem with a separation between another group of line.

(more terms will be discussed as they are required for use in the form being discussed)
(any questions or for further elaboration…just ask Smile )
Diagram of a Terzanelle…(representative of my poem below)
Each position in the diagram represents a syllable and all letters other than “x” indicate a rhyme.
“xx…” indicates a syllable string that carries on to the rhyme.
Letters with a number following indicates a refrain line (lines that are exactly the same. For example d1 and d1 not only rhyme but they are the same line.

xx…a
xx…b
xx…a

xx…b
xx…c1
xx…b

xx…c
xx…d1
xx…c1

xx…d
xx…e1
xx…d1

xx…e
xx…f1
xx…e1

xx…f
xx…a
xx…f1
xx…a

An alternate for the quatrain…f f1 a a

History…
If you like knowing the history of poetry (like I do) then you may be interested in knowing how Terzanelle came to be. The Terzanelle was “invented” in 1965 by Lewis Turco. The first Terzanelle poem titled “Terzanelle” was first published in the summer edition of the “The Michigan Quarterly Review” in the summer of 1965. To my knowledge he has written several more of which I think the most widely known would be, "Terzanelle in Thunderweather" (The Book of Forms: University Press of New England, 2000).

And now…a poem

Lets make believe…
(© 2006 Aoibhegréine)

Would you like to sit in the forest and make believe with me?
Sitting here among the pines and oaks standing tall to the sky
Close your eyes…imagine the Elves…the Sprites…if can you see

Do you see them as they leap and jump…watch them as they run by?
Can you feel the joy in the air…feel the joy of make believe?
When a tree falls in this forest all will mourn it’s lose…all will cry

Do you understand what it is to live in this land and grieve?
The joy of life…the hurt and pain of death…here it to is real
Can you feel the joy in the air…feel the joy of make believe?

Walk upon the forest floor beneath your feet magic…you feel
Magic is in the air…all around life is budding this spring
The joy of life…the hurt and pain of death…here it to is real

Look around and watch the forest turn from gray to green
Watch…it is no illusion as the Elves and Sprites work…magic
Magic is in the air…all around life is budding this spring

Hear the sound, magic being worked…the forest set free to frolic
Would you like to sit in the forest and make believe with me?
Watch…it is no illusion as the Elves and Sprites work…magic
Close your eyes…imagine the Elves…the Sprites…if can you see

Edit #1 added form name to title
Edit #2 corrected some spelling
Edit #3 added terms section and diagram
Edit #4 had to correct the diagram

Last edited by Eiregirl on Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:20 pm; edited 4 times in total

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tas_Passion_Godess

Brilliant, you are a true artist with true talent. I can only hope that my talent will be as great as yours (i know it wont, but im a story writer, thats my excuse) love it eire cant wait fot the rest in the series.

Hugs and kisses
Tas

Life is not the amount of breath you take. It is the moments that take your breath away.

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
oufan62

Oh...Yes... I can see. Great piece. I can't wait to read more and learn more about the different styles from you.

Take Care,
Oufan62

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Linda Bray

Evee,
Loved the visuals...made it so easy to believe! ^5 to you...waiting impatienly for others to follow!! Take good care sweet one.
Love yassss,
Linda

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Tas_Passion_Godess:
Brilliant, you are a true artist with true talent. I can only hope that my talent will be as great as yours (i know it wont, but im a story writer, thats my excuse) love it eire cant wait fot the rest in the series.

Hugs and kisses
Tas

Embarassed

Tas...you are wonderful for saying that...thank you very much Smile

Embarassed

Wuv you,
Evee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by oufan62:
Oh...Yes... I can see. Great piece. I can't wait to read more and learn more about the different styles from you.

Take Care,
Oufan62

oufan62,

Thank you very much for your reply...read the next one in the series and put in your vote for the next style to be discussed.

Eiregirl

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:08 am 
animaanna

Oh this is great Eire. Cant wait to read more. It is nice that you added the poetry form you are using.

Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:15 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Linda Bray:
Evee,
Loved the visuals...made it so easy to believe! ^5 to you...waiting impatienly for others to follow!! Take good care sweet one.
Love yassss,
Linda

Linda,

Thank you very much...hugging you tight.

Eiregirl

Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:37 pm 
maryj

wonderful poem

i really like the the description of how the poem is set up and everything i hope you do a lot more it is very interesting

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:29 am 
Mairi bheag

A Cracker!

Right, you have given me the impetus I need to dissect Haiku!

Mb
xx

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:43 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Mairi bheag:
A Cracker!

Right, you have given me the impetus I need to dissect Haiku!

Mb
xx

LOL a cracker...

Thank you for the reply sweetie...and I'm very happy I gave you the impulse to dissect Haiku.

Hugs,
Evee

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:55 pm 
Mairi bheag

It's done, Eire - see the haiku section! Very Happy

Mb
xx

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:58 pm 
irisheyes

Eiregirl
Beautiful poem.
Loved it.
Hugs
Irisheyes Smile

Post Mon May 01, 2006 6:04 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by irisheyes:
Eiregirl
Beautiful poem.
Loved it.
Hugs
Irisheyes Smile

Irish...thank you very much Smile it was a joy to write.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue May 02, 2006 7:53 pm 
Happier Blue

The Terzanelle

Eiregirl,

I really love what you’ve done with this section, appreciate the time and effort involved and congratulate you on this most excellent forum.

I believe as writers we truly need to constantly challenge ourselves in order to grow. That, of course, can be said for much of life itself. By working within the confines of a particular form and structure, we are forced to use our creative skills in a very different way. It truly becomes a case of necessity being the mother of invention.

I found the Terzanelle particularly interesting. With its interwoven rhyme scheme and repeated lines, the form struck me as being very musical. The challenge I saw was how to create a sense of progression, of something happening with a poem that begins and ends with the same two lines? While I thought Lewis Turco’s Thunder Weather was exceptional in many ways, its content was similar to a Villanelle, in that he was basically describing the same event from a series of different points of view.

The Terzanelle can be a huge pain and seems like trying to solve a word puzzle as you write. Much of what I post here is for the erotic/sensual section mainly because I thought it would be interesting to see if traditional poetic forms could be used to create a poem that is truly sensual. Another challenge for the writer. I’ve had much fun working with the English Sonnet (see dark cotton flower if you are interested) and thought I was ready for a new challenge … the Terzanelle.

I wasn’t all too pleased with my first effort, but it enabled me to gain a better sense and insight into the form. After about four pages of throwaway lines and phrases, I was able to put together nineteen lines that I was satisfied with. I’ll let you be the judge. I will be posting this in the sensual section but have included it here.

Again, congratulations on the beautiful work you’ve done here. Also, congratulations on your own well crafted Terzanelle, Let’s make believe , which really flows nicely and has an enchanting innocence.

~Blue~

Last edited by Happier Blue on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:57 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: