BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> General board

Keyboard vs quill pen?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
leguan

Keyboard vs quill pen?

Dear Poets and Storytellers,
how do you write?
Do you type with flying fingers on a keyboard or do you write with a fountain pen or pencil with your left or right hand?
Do you think the “tools” you use influence your style?
Are there poems which have to be written in ink, pouring like blood out of your fingers? Or does the buzzing sound of the computer meanwhile belong to your creative flow?
My question may seem absurd unless we all have a keyboard and a desktop in front of us in order to meet ... in the end every of your wonderful poems is typed ...
Thank you for your answers!
Leguan

Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:59 am 
Erin Monahan

I hate that no one has replied tothis!

Personally, I almost always type my poetry. It makes revision a much simpler process, being able to delete and move stanzas around. And being a revision hound, that just simplifies my life! Besides, all those sheets of scribbled crumpled paper discourage me.

I do keep a notebook and pen by the bed, because most of my ideas are born in those hours when I'm trying to fall asleep.

I think there is a potential, with typing poetry, and the advent of poetry forums, for a negative impact on poetry - due to the ease and speed with which poorly crafted poetry can be written and born into the world. I believe it creates a situation where poorly crafted or not very well considered poetry is then broadcast into the world. But on the flip side of that is the positive impact of poets being able to find like minds and instant feedback, whereas for centuries, poetry was a singular and private "hobby" for many writers.

God knows mine was written in a notebook and hidden in the closet for years like some dirty secret, and since I've discovered internet poetry forums, I've even managed to find hundreds of people who DON'T think I'm a total nerd for loving poetry Wink

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DanceofSorrows

Erin...Welcome to the boards Smile

And you are quite right, this is a wonderful subject to explore. Leguan, Bravo babe for bringing it into the light. Wink Writers can have some quirky habits and tools. Linda and I were discussing this not long ago and at first mention of others habits, I thought to myself, 'I have no odd disposition in habits'. Since that discussion and this post I come to realize I tend to mutate in writing style and tools (which is mainly computer now) and do have some quirks. When I leave the house intent on writing, it must be yellow legal pads and a black pen. Blue or red ink drives me crazy and white paper as well. My short term memory has been tested at 97% of those tested but it doesn't make sense to me lol. What does make sense in that score is that as a visual person, I can take way too much in and be on overload unless I settle first so a quiet mind helps after much going on. Then drawing from those things around me to write. Thus a blank computer screen has helped in mention as well of the same environment. But from my history that will change too.

I had to laugh at the scribbled paper comment. That is something I need and have much of! In my drawer is at least 15 legal pads lol. I have to ask Erin, if sometimes the revision process drives you crazy. I hardly ever revise (which I should) but that process is an agony for me.

Anyhow....great topic...would love to hear more with other writers.

Dance~

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:36 pm 
Erin Monahan

When I use paper, it's a spiral notebook and black pen, lol. And generally, I could only write laying on the floor, how's that for quirky? I also had (still do) have a fascination with gel pens, because they write so smoothly... yeah, just a little insane Wink

Now, my quirk is that it has to be microsoft word, I hate wordperfect, and god forbid I should have to use wordpad.

Revision... it used to be the bane of my existance. I'd post a poem, and someone would offer constructive crit and I'd get defensive. I learned in the long run that my reaction was caused by the fact that I could see their point, but didn't know how to fix it! I've been writing, mostly on the internet, for about 5 - 6 years now, and I've learned so much through revising. Now, I sort of live for it. None of my poems get posted until they've been revised at least a couple of times. I've gotten to the point that I sort of revise as I go.

The new attitude has served me well I guess, I've managed to have a chapbook published recently, so there must be something to this revision thing Wink But, I admit, it's a hard thing to do, to LEARN to do, without being in a group of people who encourage and foster it. I owe my poetry completely to the people who have helped me learn about the craft of it.

Let me know if you ever want some constructive input on a poem, I love doing it, and it just gives me a chance to read more poetry, which is always a plus!

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DanceofSorrows

Wooohoooo for word perfect!!! I am so with you there! I haven't really had too much of constructive critism on my work here but if you read some works, feel free to do so. Asking is a wonderful thing (which by all means I give you permission) because some write just to release. I made the mistake of giving it to someone recently and I think now it wasn't within my boundries to do so without asking. I also think I may have caused hurt feelings and discouragement which I regret. Everyone needs to find for themselves what they expect from thier own writing, whether it is just to share, to try it, to experiment, to grow in skill etc...

Congrads on the chapbook! I admit I had just at this instant figured out that meant chapter book lmao. I just might start to really sharpen my skills by learning good writing fundementals Razz A challange is ahead ( i see it now)...

Dance~

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:26 pm 
Raven

My first art was that of the visual kind – drawing and sketching so while I mostly type my written works now I have an extreme fondness for the pencil and paper method. In fact I just LOVE to see a fresh clean sheet of paper and a really well sharpened pencil – not really a pen fan though I often write in pen too. I also love fresh notebooks because they contain so many sheets of paper. I sort of sound like a freak now ~smile~ but a clean sheet of paper holds so many possibilities to me and a sharpened pencil . . . well it is a tool of beauty in my eye one that I love probably from my drawing days to turn and twist and create with.

I’m also a revision freak as many can tell from me not finishing my work all the time lol – I had to learn to STOP editing more than TO edit. And while it was a nasty habit I think it helped me a lot. By picking my work apart and always making sure I crafted the story and not just wrote it I became a better writer. I know what works and doesn’t now from the get go. I still edit, but it’s mainly okay the first time now and only a matter of the artist in me trying to smooth it out till I see that it turn from words to something more artist.

Because of this editing need while I will write and scribble out things to this day most of my writing and editing takes place in Word because like Erin said coping, pasting, shifting, adding, subtracting is a lot easier with the computer. Also I can save things that I don’t think I want but am not ready to get rid of yet.

So how do I write? After saying all that . . .I write in my head. Again like Erin said, I often get idea when I’m trying to go to sleep, which is one reason I still use pen and paper sometimes. But I tend to go straight from my mind to the computer if I have the choice – though no flying fingers here. And no I don’t think the computer influences me because my writing came from year of study before I used the computer and I don’t think the pencil and paper method influenced me either because the physical form has little to do with how I write. Sentences are in my head long before they’re anywhere else. That is my greatest influence – how awake, asleep, tired, happy, etc I am in my mind.

And I think the feel and look of pencil on paper is much more comforting than the stroke of the keys (which I really don’t hear most of the time).

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:43 pm 
leguan

Erin, Dance and Raven,
that’s the kind of answers I dreamt of!

By the way, I always wondered if constructive criticism is desired on this board?

But again: Thank you all for getting this thread going.
Leguan

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:47 pm 
Erin Monahan

oh no no, a chapbook is just a small, soft cover book, mine is all poetry, just 30 pages. Nothing nearly as impressive as a chapter book! I will admit that I'm very proud of having accomplished it without self-publishing though.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I always welcome constructive criticism. Never hesitate to make suggestions or give advice on any of my work.
It's very rewarding for me to hear what does, AND what doesn't work, for my readers. I'm a firm believer in the idea that I cannot strengthen my weaknesses if I don't see them.

Raven, you draw/sketch/paint... what? I'm so jealous of anyone who can render visual art with any level of talent. I can't do much in the way of visual art, but can occassionally paint a pretty decent picture with my words.

Now, I'm off to cook my 4th of July/birthday meal - I splurged on steak! I mean you only turn 33 once, right?
You guys have a wonderful day, and thanks so much for making me feel welcome!

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:01 pm 
Raven

I'm not really here so I'll respond later to your question but . . .
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sings the black version since I'm in that mmon at the moment -

Hap-py birth-day to ya
Hap-py birthday to ya

ohh ohh can't finish gotta run - HAPPY 33rd!!!!!!

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:15 pm 
DanceofSorrows

Yes Happy Birthday!!!! Oh doh! you said....steak (mouth starts to water)...and you should be proud of publishing! I know I am of you!

Raven, I have a nice collection of sharpened pencils for you (on the ceiling fan) Razz hehe You are a nut and I love it...

Leg, Tell us something about your experience and idea's chicky... As far as the constructive critism, if people ask for it, it is ok I think. Many do ask and really want it when asked.

Dance~

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:32 pm 
leguan

Dear Dance,
I am a language-fanatic, I am a real freak Shocked . I sometimes feel like a language-archaeologist sitting there, exposing every possible meaning of words or even syllables with a paintbrush, overjoyed delighted and jubilantly grateful if the colorless fragments I find during my excavation are given colors by word-acrobats like you.
I try to transcend language, I love wringing my brain and that gorgeous feeling when nothing seems to fit anymore and if I then regain all the world on a new level Confused ... I told you I was a freak Wink
By the way: I have a notebook with an alphabetical register to store all my language-discoveries, in this I write with my right hand and with a pen. If I write personal letters I write with a fountain pen, with blue ink. In the office I love having a computer because I really have to distance from that dry lifeless style I have to write there ...

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:35 pm 
DanceofSorrows

Leguan,

Have you posted poetry here? I am curious to see what sprouts from your love of language. If I missed it I want to see it. A secret dream here, but no longer I suppose...to have learned all the words in the dictionary. But I am so compelled by those who really grab and master the definition of words. One thing that hinders my writing is that I haven't been disciplined in language power, increasing vocabulary and taking on new feats for myself to sharpen skills. Anyhow I am babbling here but...I admire that love you have for language.

Dance~

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:44 pm 
leguan

Dear Dance,
I have this picture of me: I let powerful language rain on my brain and someday the syllables will flow over, if at all, then will be possibly the right time for me to write ... and until then I am super-satisfied just to learn, to admire , to read, to listen, to enjoy ... I take it very very easy Cool

And dear Dance,
you are one of my favorite word-jugglers! You never babble - at least in the work I know of you Wink

Yours faithfully
Leguan

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:40 pm 
Elbereth

Hello everybody!

I find your discussion in here quite interesting. I have often wondered whether you all type your poems right away into the computer. I personally started writing my first poems in elementary school and no-one had computers at that time (although I am only 35 now and not 80 or so). I hadn't written any poetry for about 15 years but then took up writing again last fall (mainly because I found a new muse Wink ). I have been having a difficult time lately and was wide awake quite often in these past couple of months and then I always wrote poems 'in my head'. Sometimes they were 'gone' in the morning. But that's how it works with me: I first have words and lines of poetry in my head and then write them down into a nice book. Usually I write in pencil and do a first revision in the book, which means I tend to rewrite and re-arrange my poems at least once before I type them into the computer. In the typing process, I sometimes change words or entire lines again. But I could not really imagine writing a poem right into the computer, although I did so recently in the 'slam section'. But that was an exception!

Btw, I very much appreciate suggestions for improvement! So please feel free to comment on my poetry in a critical way (although I love 'encouraging praise' as well Laughing )

I personally usually comment on poems I find very beautiful and skillful. I guess that's why I mostly do not make any suggestions for improvement. Plus feedback in this form might not always be appreciated- even if the critic has just good intentions. Wink

Wishing you all a wonderful day!
Hugs, Elbereth

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:24 pm 
SWAY

Its funny, I write when I need to. I get to thinking about certain events in my life and out they come. If I am at work, I have a computer right in front of me, but I still use a steno book and pen...or pencil, depending on what i can reach at any given moment.

As for editing, I don't. My poems are for release of some emotion I am feeling at any one time. Feedback on how to make my writing better is appreciated though. I will take it to heart and try it out.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:14 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: